PDA

View Full Version : Shaw Pace PVR Issues

BrknFngrs
12-14-2009, 09:33 PM
Is anyone else having problems with the new Shaw (Pace) PVRs?

The device seems incredibly flaky; on some hi def channels the sound will drop momentarily but it is a completely intermittent problem that doesn't seem specific to any one channel or any program.

Also when I record shows to the external hard drive (the one that Shaw sells directly with the boxes) it will work fine for a few weeks but then without warning something happens and even though I can see the recordings on the hard drive (I can see how long the recording is, I can see that my available drive space has dropped and the recording light is lit on the box) I am unable to play them back. I can click on them and click play to start them but I am just left with a blank screen. The most frustrating thing is that the only way that I know the box is acting up again is when I try to watch something I recorded only to find out that I can't.

Is anyone else having these issues? Is it just something that I'm doing?

Mitsu3000gt
12-15-2009, 09:46 AM
Mine works perfectly EXCEPT for one fairly annoying thing, where about once every couple of weeks, it says my HD space is full when its not even close, and the warning pops up every 5 seconds so I have to fix it. Just unplugging and plugging the box back in fixes it, but its a pain because if your in the middle of recording something you miss some of it, and also every channel is "to be announced" for a while.

I also noticed in the Menu, I think they changed "PVR" to "DVR"? Or was it always DVR? If they changed it, perhaps the issues have to do with whenever Shaw changes something or updates the box in any way.

blownz
12-15-2009, 11:42 AM
I have had that problem with not being able to play a single thing on the HD. Just a black screen. At the same time I noticed I couldn't hit pause on live tv as well. I turned the box off and then on again and it started working again after a few minutes. I was going to call Shaw but I forgot about it. That was last Monday. No other problems since then. :dunno:

BrknFngrs
12-15-2009, 02:04 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt
Mine works perfectly EXCEPT for one fairly annoying thing, where about once every couple of weeks, it says my HD space is full when its not even close, and the warning pops up every 5 seconds so I have to fix it. Just unplugging and plugging the box back in fixes it, but its a pain because if your in the middle of recording something you miss some of it, and also every channel is "to be announced" for a while.

Hmm never had that issue, though the shaw reps I've spoken to suggest that there are some strange glitches with the device.

Originally posted by blownz
I have had that problem with not being able to play a single thing on the HD. Just a black screen. At the same time I noticed I couldn't hit pause on live tv as well. I turned the box off and then on again and it started working again after a few minutes. I was going to call Shaw but I forgot about it. That was last Monday. No other problems since then. :dunno:

So once you turned it off and on you were able to watch what it wouldn't let you watch before? I've reset mine myself by pulling the power and also had Shaw due a reset from their end but I'm still unable to watch what was previously recorded.

I've got a feeling that this is some kind of copyright "handshake" issue causing problems. The rep I spoke to mentioned that the devices are very particular about this and that your hard drive will only playback media on the box that was recording was made on for example.

blownz
12-15-2009, 03:31 PM
I was able to watch everything afterwards. At the time I was pissed because I had a bunch of stuff I hadn't watched yet that I thought I lost. I also had some old things I had watched and just not deleted yet that didn't work though. After turning it off/on, I was able to watch everything again. I was hoping it was just a freak thing.