PDA

View Full Version : anyone have a transfer switch installed

hedge
12-14-2009, 09:51 PM
Has anyone had a transfer switch installed so that you can feed your house via a generator? I have a generator for my RV and after the power outage in edmonton a couple nights ago I was wondering how expensive it would be to get a transfer switch installed.

mobius
12-14-2009, 10:26 PM
The easiest way is to interrupt the service to your house after the meter, and install a weatherproof manual transfer switch.

Obviously the price would depend on the company doing the install, as well as the exact situation, but I would say that $1500.00-$2000.00 would be middle ground price wise. A 100A (assuming you have a 100A service) transfer switch is $6-800.00 IIRC alone. (Could be more, I don't remember what the last one I put in was.)

Zero102
12-15-2009, 01:12 PM
When installing a transfer switch you want to have your generator permanently installed and wired. Transfer switches vary in cost depending if you want an automatic one (you would need an automatic start generator as well) or if a manual one would do. Typical installation time is between 2 and 5 hours depending on how much work is required (do you need to remove siding to access the conduit? Is the switch being mounted inside or outside?), plus many electrical contractors will refuse the work unless the power to the house is switched off (requires Enmax to do this legally), and your power will be out for the duration of the installation, so you may want to make sure your fridge and freezer will stay cold for this long without power.

Typical transfer switch costs are between $500 and $800 for a 100A 2 phase manual transfer switch, and with an electrical contractor running as much as $150/hour + service charges + materials this is an expensive venture to do properly.

Alberta electrical code states that all work performed before the main breaker in your panel must be performed by a licensed electrician, and you would require a permit for this as well, which does add cost and time.

IMO it's not worth doing. If the power goes out again get an extension cord or two, run the cords through the window, generator outside, and just power the things you need.