PDA

View Full Version : Basement Suite - separate furnace

drclark
12-15-2009, 03:54 PM
Hi guys,

Does anyone know how much it is to put a separate furnace in the basement?

Kloubek
12-15-2009, 03:59 PM
Tons. I know that legal suites are supposed to have their own temperature controls, but I don't think that means you need to install dual furnaces...

Nismorphed
12-15-2009, 04:05 PM
Im pretty sure you need two furnaces for setting different temperatures. In my parents house there are two furnace controls, upstairs and main floor. There are two furnaces in the basement. So I assume that is the reason for two. I could be wrong but I dont see why we would need two. My .02

Kloubek
12-15-2009, 04:07 PM
Really eh? Could one not just install electric baseboard heaters with their own thermostat instead?

masoncgy
12-15-2009, 04:16 PM
Originally posted by Nismorphed
Im pretty sure you need two furnaces for setting different temperatures. In my parents house there are two furnace controls, upstairs and main floor. There are two furnaces in the basement. So I assume that is the reason for two. I could be wrong but I dont see why we would need two. My .02

You have to have two furnaces in your house once you reach a certain square footage, as one furnace won't be adequate enough to supply heat to the whole house.

I can't remember if it's 2400 sq ft or more... but that's the reason why your parents have two furnaces in their basement.

You can run two controls off of one furnace though, with the newer equipment. It is very common in newer homes... one heat control in the master bedroom and one on the main floor.

mr2mike
12-26-2009, 04:10 PM
I'd say about $6000+ for a new seperate furnace and ducting. Just had it done at my place. Hard to estimate because I'm taking a lot of the install work on myself except the furnace install and main bulk head install but I pulled everything apart for them so it's easier for them to run it through the house.

ExtraSlow
12-28-2009, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Really eh? Could one not just install electric baseboard heaters with their own thermostat instead?
This will be the cheaper option, but electricity costs would be high, so make sure your renters are paying for electricity.