PDA

View Full Version : letter of Offer?

Fiddy Yen
12-15-2009, 09:20 PM
I got a job today working for a local private company. My job will be replacing someone who recently quit.

Question is, I never got a letter of offer... should I get one?

redline
12-15-2009, 09:40 PM
yes, should give you the terms of your employment offer

Fiddy Yen
12-15-2009, 09:59 PM
i forgot the mention, this new job is all commission.

ExtraSlow
12-15-2009, 11:30 PM
You need in writing how you will be compensated, what hours you will be working, and what days or hours you get off.
If they can't put that shit in a letter, why would you work for them?

slick2404
12-16-2009, 01:25 AM
Are you sure it's not one of those 'scam' organizations ie. AIL, World Financial etc

Fiddy Yen
12-16-2009, 07:31 AM
Its for a large car dealership, working as a business manager.

jonnycat
12-16-2009, 10:35 AM
I've never received a letter of offer as a business manager or any other position.

cancer man
12-17-2009, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by Fiddy Yen
Its for a large car dealership, working as a business manager.

They have to pay you a base salary + commision.
I hope it's not Tower....

jonnycat
12-17-2009, 09:34 AM
Originally posted by cancer man

No, they don't.

Fiddy Yen
12-17-2009, 06:07 PM

I'm in Sask.

RUQUIKR
12-17-2009, 07:26 PM
Like JohnnyCat said, I have never recieved a offer as a F & I manager without a clearly written out pay structure.

Go4Long
12-19-2009, 01:31 AM

No, they are only required by law to pay you minimum wage...if you don't make enough commission as a business manager to make more than minimum wage you're not going to be there longer than it takes to collect your first paycheck.

not minimum wage + commission...minimum wage or commission.

88jbody
12-19-2009, 08:40 PM
there is no minimum wage for commission.

I work on a similar pay type, flate rate as a mechanic
basically one particular job is worth a set time, do it faster and you make more, if it takes you longer you end up paid less.

just an idea, replacing brake pads and rotors pays 1 hour on most cars. if I do it in 45 min I get paid 1 hour time, if it takes me 1 1/2 hours I still only get one hour.

and if I only make 10 hours next week I only get paid for 10 hours even if I was there and put in 40 hours and that would put me below min wage.

min wage only applies to a per hour pay rate.

but to the OP you may not get a letter of offer, but you will get something in writing that states your pay, company policies and will probably have to sign a copy for them.

Van Persie
12-19-2009, 08:51 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody
there is no minimum wage for commission.

I work on a similar pay type, flate rate as a mechanic
basically one particular job is worth a set time, do it faster and you make more, if it takes you longer you end up paid less.

just an idea, replacing brake pads and rotors pays 1 hour on most cars. if I do it in 45 min I get paid 1 hour time, if it takes me 1 1/2 hours I still only get one hour.

and if I only make 10 hours next week I only get paid for 10 hours even if I was there and put in 40 hours and that would put me below min wage.

min wage only applies to a per hour pay rate.

but to the OP you may not get a letter of offer, but you will get something in writing that states your pay, company policies and will probably have to sign a copy for them.

This type of pay structure is illegal in Alberta. You MUST be paid minimum wage for all hours that you put into work, unless you deliver newspapers or fliers for a living. That is the only exception.

Go4Long
12-19-2009, 09:02 PM
You beat me to it. Lol. The sad part is that many people will get bullied into believing that they can pay less than minimum wage.

Rights are useless if you don't know you have them. I suggest that every time something seems odd people should refer to your provincial or federal labor legislation, it will help you in the long run.

A790
12-24-2009, 03:19 AM
My letter of offer for my current position stated everything I'd ever want to know: pay, bonus structure, benefits, vacation, etc. etc.

Should be a standard thing?

cancer man
12-30-2009, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by A790
My letter of offer for my current position stated everything I'd ever want to know: pay, bonus structure, benefits, vacation, etc. etc.

Should be a standard thing?

Car dealers don't work that way.God Bless America and the NADA.
You still have to be paid a base salary and i looked it up in my dealer notes and if you sign it's 800.00 per month plus commision.
Get a landscping job it pays more and it's honest work.