PDA

View Full Version : want an awd car so many options....

03ozwhip
12-16-2009, 12:55 AM
so im in the market for something awd that i can do a few mods to, look good in the summer and still be my daily winter driver. im looking for under 7k and so far ive come up with a bunch and need some advice on reliability, part support both OEM and aftermarket as far as price and availability. so my choices are...

98-01 audi a4/a6
skyline gtr or gtst awd
92-94 lancer or evo if possible i think it would be my first choice...
suby gc8
98-02 suby legacy gt/wagon/forester/impreza
celica alltrac
talon tsi
older 325ix

i wanna hear from people with personal experiences with the vehicles if possible or just some advice/ i know i can only pick 2 out of cheap, reliable, fast so ill pick cheap, reliable and fun and i know thats going to eliminate a couple

what are the positives and negatives of some of these cars besides being RHD cause i dont give a fuck about that, just wanna know which ones i should check out more and the ones i should just scratch off the list now....

buh_buh
12-16-2009, 01:10 AM
I've owned a few Audis, and it is a tossup in terms of reliability. Some are problem free, and some are not. Those that are not will cost you an arm and a leg to repair and maintain.

I'm driving a 98 Impreza now, and so far I'm loving it. Tons of cheap aftermarket and OEM upgrades available.

SRT10Killer
12-16-2009, 02:18 AM
gc8's all the way !

My friend says evo2 > gc8 but evos are more expensive

I would throw my opinion about the gt4 celica but I just got one and will be on the road shortly

something you haven't mentioned

94+ JDM legacy's

2L twin turbo, AWD, ABS, twin sunroof full leather

276 hp station wagon lol, getting it in about a month, can't wait

rockanrepublic
12-16-2009, 06:48 AM
id go for the celica altrac in terms of reliability its a dream.:D

Masked Bandit
12-16-2009, 09:10 AM
I'm not opposed to the JDM stuff because it's RHD, it can just make a mess of the insurance end of things, which is another cost. It can restrict which companies will write you along with what coverage you can get. Just something to keep in mind.

benyl
12-16-2009, 10:46 AM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic
id go for the celica altrac in terms of reliability its a dream.:D

Except, when you need to change the clutch, the whole motor comes out.

bituerbo
12-16-2009, 11:34 AM
Avoid JDM. Likely beaten to shit (fanboys will disagree) and parts availability isn't the same with a north american available car.

My audi cost me about what the car is worth to fix it after I blew my turbos, but I did replace them with a full stage 3 setup. The 00-01 A6 has an available 2.7T engine, the same that's in the S4 and can make 320hp with a chip, and 450-650hp when you upgrade the turbos. If you're willing to gamble with reliability they are a shitload of fun. The 4.2 motor is MUCH more reliable motor, and makes 300hp stock, but it's only available with an auto trans. Also the A6 available with the 4.2 has big fender flares, and is referred to as the 'wide body' of the model.

The luxury and features in the A6 trump any of the other vehicles you've listed, and it's a SOLID car. Even with my big turbo swap I'm still getting 10L/100km, which is what my 2.0L stock chrysler neon gets.

Sorath
12-16-2009, 11:53 AM
evo3 > everything in that list. i really hate the 4 door gc8's but if you can get a 2 door sti buntacar that would be cool :) dont think those are legal yet

VeilOctane
12-16-2009, 11:55 AM
do a 87 4wd tercel with a 3sgte swap.... hahaha :poosie: :poosie: :poosie:

03ozwhip
12-16-2009, 12:32 PM
ive had JDM before with my insurance and it wasnt a problem. as far as the audi's go i do really want one, turbo or not ive always loved those cars. BUT in my price range ill only be able to get one with high *er km's and im not sure about reliability at 200+kms/

i did find a Lancer GSR in my price range that looks to be in really good shape, its not an EVO but its close. i never really liked the gc8's but theyre growing on me and theyre awd system is unquestionable.

changing the clutch in the alltrac is really that hard? im guessing obviously expensive then...

tentacles
12-16-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by 03ozwhip
ive had JDM before with my insurance and it wasnt a problem. as far as the audi's go i do really want one, turbo or not ive always loved those cars. BUT in my price range ill only be able to get one with high *er km's and im not sure about reliability at 200+kms/

i did find a Lancer GSR in my price range that looks to be in really good shape, its not an EVO but its close. i never really liked the gc8's but theyre growing on me and theyre awd system is unquestionable.

changing the clutch in the alltrac is really that hard? im guessing obviously expensive then...

Celicas have a lot of stuff under the hood - the front suspension is a bulky and expensive double wishbone setup, and I think they has all kinds of other shit like active suspension and 4WS and weird ABS too. It's really not the best kind of 15 year old car unless you enjoy constantly fixing stuff, although it is a mid 90s Toyota, which are pretty well built.

Do you NEED a manual? If you are OK with an auto, they made 4AT WRX wagons. Smaller turbo plus 4AT means it will be cheaper and much less likely to be beat to shit, and those old Subaru/JATCO 4ATs are pretty sturdy. Parts should be pretty easy to get here at your local scoob dealer too. Any Evo or STi is pretty much guaranteed to be beat to shit, unless you can get one that's already here and has a newer engine/trans already. Plus they are fairly rare - only a few thousand made for each generation, while there are lots and lots of WRXes floating around.

EDIT: Stay away from those twin turbo Legacy's. The sequential twin turbo system is garbage performance wise (big hole in the middle of the powerband until the other turbo kicks in) and also unreliable and does not tolerate bad modification at all. e.g. there is a cat in between the primary and secondary turbo that gets fucked up really easily by things like BOVs. Also all your parts are going to be overnight from Japan. You might as well get an Audi.

bituerbo
12-16-2009, 01:01 PM
just checked kijiji:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2001-Audi-A6-Sedan-W0QQAdIdZ173938974

125,000km for $4500.

A higher milage vehicle is not less reliable if you're going with a 4.2 engine. The 2.7T's have turbo failure anywhere from 50,000km - 120,000km if they are the faulty ones (Audi would never admit this). Mine went at 60,000km. Plus the Audi is a midsize 4dr saloon car. It will last you a while. The styling is great and should your lifestyle change (wife, kids etc) then you won't need to get a different vehicle.

03ozwhip
12-16-2009, 01:40 PM
^^^thanks i looked at that and its interesting for sure...btw my lifestyle is like that, i have a wife and kid, i have the family SUV, but i need my toys. im getting rid of the lowrider and getting into something different yet again. celica looks like it COULD be out of the question depending on the one i find.... im jsut not sure about the automatic...

DannyO
12-16-2009, 01:46 PM
How about a late 80s AWD Civic Wagon?

q7ZzqBPz4sY

Since I seen this video, I've wanted to get one so I can do things in it I want to do in my STI, but don't want to risk.

03ozwhip
12-16-2009, 02:43 PM
thats pretty killer but not into the styling at all. ugly as all hell actually....

89s1
12-16-2009, 03:55 PM
After being given the reigns of my buddies wrx and being told "I trust you, drive it however you want" I must say, they are great cars. Push a bit from the front, but that's to be expected on totally stock suspension/tires.

zipdoa
12-16-2009, 04:04 PM
I got my '94 90 CS quattro for $1600.

Planning on swapping the UrS4 AAN engine in (2.2 I-5 Turbo) and chipping it. 300hp/300ftlbs will be ftw!

AAN's are only about $2000.

Tik-Tok
12-16-2009, 04:20 PM

i wanna hear from people with personal experiences with the vehicles if possible or just some advice/ i know i can only pick 2 out of cheap, reliable, fast so ill pick cheap, reliable and fun and i know thats going to eliminate a couple

I just picked up a 98 Impreza OBS a month or so ago. It had a blown engine (2.2L), so I threw in a JDM 2.5L (because it was cheap and available)

I'm honestly blown away by how easy these cars are to work on. I also have a Audi , with the 2.7twin turbo, and man that thing is a pain in the ass to work on, everything is BURIED in the engine compartment. With the Subaru, it's all so easy to get to, it's ridiculous.

I bought the Subie to flip, but after working on it, and driving it for the past month, I think I'm going to sell the Audi, and keep the Subaru (keep in mind this is my winter car, my MR2 is for summer fun).

I may just have to put in a STi engine eventually as well, the engine change only took a day for this one. A little more work with the STi motor because of wiring harness's and everything, but no reason both my summer and winter cars can't be fast :burnout:

benyl
12-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I may just have to put in a STi engine eventually as well, the engine change only took a day for this one. A little more work with the STi motor because of wiring harness's and everything, but no reason both my summer and winter cars can't be fast :burnout:

I would do a Tranny swap at the same time. The 5-speed suby transmission is made of glass. The 6-speed is made of steel in comparison... haha

FiveFreshFish
12-16-2009, 06:55 PM
Skip the older 325ix.

03ozwhip
12-16-2009, 07:44 PM
^^why? unreliable? i know it cant be cheap with parts, but can you elaborate?

Canmorite
12-16-2009, 08:01 PM
Originally posted by SRT10Killer

94+ JDM legacy's

2L twin turbo, AWD, ABS, twin sunroof full leather

276 hp station wagon lol, getting it in about a month, can't wait

I saw a green rhd legacy, wasn't tt but it definitely reminded of that tt model. That would be awesome to have!

FiveFreshFish
12-16-2009, 08:18 PM
^^why? unreliable? i know it cant be cheap with parts, but can you elaborate?

Yes, parts are expensive for this rare model. Even the oil pan is a new design just to accommodate the front drive axle. Reliability can be hit or miss for a car that's 20 years old. Tough to find a low mileage example.

http://www.garlington.biz/Ray/BMW/325ixDriveTrain.pdf

One thing that drove me crazy was the non-adjustable steering wheel. But the car might fit you just fine.

buh_buh
12-16-2009, 08:32 PM
I test drove a few iX's before I bought my Impreza, and I didn't love them. They felt older than they actually were, and the VCs are expensive to fix if they're not working properly.

I went and looked at one a few months ago, and the price was good and everything seemed ok, but when I asked the guy if I could take it to my mechanic to take a quick look at it to make sure everything's all good, he said I couldn't, went on a rant about how he just "spent $12k on fixing it up", and would up the price by $1000 if I wanted to take it to my mechanic, and wouldn't even let me do the jack test to test the VC. I basically told him to F off after that. If you like these cars, MAKE SURE everything's all good, especially the AWD system before you get into one. But like I said, this car felt just like my e21 that was was 11 years older, and I definitely like the Impreza better in every aspect.

03ozwhip
12-17-2009, 12:27 AM
so it seems like subaru has a grip on alot of people, thats good to know. ive always like subarus and i was thinking i could get a decent jdm for a decent price before i even made this thread, but wanted to see what people thought about different models.

i think more than likely, unless i find an evo ill probably go that route. id really liek a newer audi but it scares me off a bit because of maintenance and the 50/50 reliability. thanks for all the replies, keep em coming if you think you can persuede me to go with something different...

SRT10Killer
12-17-2009, 01:45 AM
Originally posted by tentacles

Celicas have a lot of stuff under the hood - the front suspension is a bulky and expensive double wishbone setup, and I think they has all kinds of other shit like active suspension and 4WS and weird ABS too. It's really not the best kind of 15 year old car unless you enjoy constantly fixing stuff, although it is a mid 90s Toyota, which are pretty well built.

If you get the WRC model it does not have abs, if you get the non wrc model it does not have the super strut susp and yes replacing the super struts is expensive

EDIT: Stay away from those twin turbo Legacy's. The sequential twin turbo system is garbage performance wise (big hole in the middle of the powerband until the other turbo kicks in) and also unreliable and does not tolerate bad modification at all. e.g. there is a cat in between the primary and secondary turbo that gets fucked up really easily by things like BOVs. Also all your parts are going to be overnight from Japan. You might as well get an Audi.

The only thing that you would have to order from japan is the twin turbos if they go, everything else is interchanable with the North American legacy.

Let's be honest, whose going to mod a station wagon ?
I did read on the internet about the hole between turbos and not every owner in the UK experiences it( non -modded).
Uk owners say its as reliable as any mid 90's subarus and I can't wait to drive mine in a month :)

heavyD
12-17-2009, 08:00 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
I test drove a few IX's before I bought my Impreza, and I didn't love them. They felt older than they actually were, and the VCs are expensive to fix if they're not working properly.

I went and looked at one a few months ago, and the price was good and everything seemed ok, but when I asked the guy if I could take it to my mechanic to take a quick look at it to make sure everything's all good, he said I couldn't, went on a rant about how he just "spent $12k on fixing it up", and would up the price by $1000 if I wanted to take it to my mechanic, and wouldn't even let me do the jack test to test the VC. I basically told him to F off after that. If you like these cars, MAKE SURE everything's all good, especially the AWD system before you get into one. But like I said, this car felt just like my e21 that was was 11 years older, and I definitely like the Impreza better in every aspect.

What are these VC's? The IX AWD system does have two LSD's and an electronic center differential so of course it can be expensive to replace parts. Technology and sophistication comes at a price. The EVO IX AWD system is extremely stout as 500+ HP EVO's are very, very common which wouldn't be the case if the AWD system couldn't handle monster power and torque. The only thing to really watch out for is the clutch and transmission on those cars. It's ironic that it felt like an old car to you considering your Subaru is riding on a 20 year old AWD system lol.

Tik-Tok
12-17-2009, 10:38 AM

Let's be honest, whose going to mod a station wagon ?

*raises hand*

I'm on my second one now :rofl:
There's a whole lot of people who mod allroads. Bunch of guys on audiworld who put the RS4 turbo stage III+ kit's on their's (450+ HP)

I'd probably be doing the same if I had a manual.

benyl
12-17-2009, 10:52 AM

*raises hand*

+1

I would be all over an M5 wagon, M3 wagon, C63 Wagon if they offered it here. They announced the CTS-V wagon to late for me to get one, or I would have... maybe I will get one anyway.

Subies are great to work on as Tik Tok said. I can pull an STi motor out of a car in 2 hours. 1.5 hours if I have help.

Kardon
12-17-2009, 10:53 AM
You could try to track down a zi four aristo. Truly the first awd lexus, and the 4.0 v8 is super reliable. Dunno about the rest of the car though.

buh_buh
12-17-2009, 11:31 AM
Originally posted by heavyD

What are these VC's? The IX AWD system does have two LSD's and an electronic center differential so of course it can be expensive to replace parts. Technology and sophistication comes at a price. The EVO IX AWD system is extremely stout as 500+ HP EVO's are very, very common which wouldn't be the case if the AWD system couldn't handle monster power and torque. The only thing to really watch out for is the clutch and transmission on those cars. It's ironic that it felt like an old car to you considering your Subaru is riding on a 20 year old AWD system lol. VC = viscous coupling = Viscous coupling center diff in the transfer case. The center diff is mechanical on the IXs, not electronic. I assure you, there is no technology or sophistication on the e30s mechanically, haha. You may be thinking of XIs, not the iX, which are the newer BMW awd variant. I'm not that familiar with E30 M3s, or E30s in general since I've never owned one, but I don't think there's an awd version of it, as I don't recall BMW ever entering any motorsport series with an awd car, and are known for their rwd M cars.

Anyway, when the VC fails, the transfer case just becomes a rwd car and is completely drivable. But you're paying a premium for the awd, and a new vc or transfer case is ~$1000 to either repair or replace.

I'm by no means an expert on the subject, as I just did some research on these cars since I was looking into buying one, and found these to be a problem area on the iXs. Here's the VC test showing diff effectiveness for the iXs.

9B0ANOI3GcM

Tik-Tok
12-17-2009, 11:40 AM
Originally posted by buh_buh
You may be thinking of XIs, not the iX, which are the newer BMW awd variant.

$50 says he's talking about EVO's, lol.

beyond_ban
12-17-2009, 11:46 AM

$50 says he's talking about EVO's, lol.

lol, definitely. IX = EVO 9

heavyD
12-17-2009, 12:39 PM
I detect a malfuntion at the junction.:facepalm: My bad. There was EVO scattered in this thread so when I saw IX I assumed EVO not 325 which maks much more sense for the OP's price point.

beyond_ban
12-17-2009, 12:42 PM
I detect a malfuntion at the junction.:facepalm: My bad. There was EVO scattered in this thread so when I saw IX I assumed EVO not 325 which maks much more sense for the OP's price point.

The first thing i thought of when i saw buh_buh's post was an EVO as well, since he was comparing it to the Subie.

heavyD
12-17-2009, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

The first thing i thought of when i saw buh_buh's post was an EVO as well, since he was comparing it to the Subie.

Yeah it's almost automatic lol.

bspot
12-17-2009, 03:02 PM
Viscous coupling diff systems suck. Don't get something with that.

heavyD
12-17-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by bspot
Viscous coupling diff systems suck. Don't get something with that.

Pretty sure that Subaru has been using them for years so they can't be that bad.

maxomilll
12-17-2009, 03:43 PM
id say JDM GC8. lovved mine. amazing in the winter.

bspot
12-17-2009, 04:31 PM

Pretty sure that Subaru has been using them for years so they can't be that bad.

I was pretty sure they were using electronic Centre differentials now adays?

Stuntmonkey
12-17-2009, 05:25 PM
Stay away from twin turbo legacys. Heaps of shit. Head gaskets, turbos, gearboxes are the first to go, in that order.

4.2l A6 is the go. Preferably the wagon. More than comfortable, reliable, pretty quick for what they are and loads of fun in the snow.

TE4MFaint
12-17-2009, 09:13 PM
I`ve had nothing but success and absolutely loved both GT-Fours (Alltracs) that I have owned.
90 ST185 & now my 94 ST205.

Strong power. Reliable. Inexpensive.
I love Toyota S block engines.

I`d recommend both. ST205 if you don`t mind spending a bit more money.

The GC8's are nice too. The back seats are pretty well useless however. Like already stated, the 2 door GC8's are sexy. 4 doors can look good too but look pretty ghey stock.

http://www.sbperformance.co.uk/Previously%20sold/STI4_GC8_1/Picture%20036-s.jpg

vs

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/7968/640800tz9.jpg

buh_buh
12-17-2009, 11:25 PM
I compared the iX to my 11 year older e21, we were talking about 325iX's the post right above mine, and I mentioned test driving an iX before too, so I thought it was a given. The thought of an Evo never even crossed my mind, especially in that price range. I thought heavyd was talking about e30m3 evos in awd :nut:

SRT10Killer
12-17-2009, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by Stuntmonkey
Stay away from twin turbo legacys. Heaps of shit. Head gaskets, turbos, gearboxes are the first to go, in that order.

4.2l A6 is the go. Preferably the wagon. More than comfortable, reliable, pretty quick for what they are and loads of fun in the snow.
Where are you getting this info, there twin turbos legacys became available in mind 94 at the moment my broker saw 2 legacys land in vancouver. Like I said the reviews are mixed and the only problem I read come up often is the hole in between the first and the second turbo.

I will let you know how it is in 1 month :)

how much do a6s go for anyways, thats a friggin big engine for an audi :(

pyroza
12-17-2009, 11:43 PM
I've had my Audi for around 7000 miles now (has just over 108k) and it has given me zero problems. But they can also have the infamous German gremlins...

Tik-Tok
12-17-2009, 11:46 PM

4.2 started in 2000, and they're $10g+. Heavy car though 4000 lbs.

Stuntmonkey
12-18-2009, 12:03 PM

Where are you getting this info, there twin turbos legacys became available in mind 94 at the moment my broker saw 2 legacys land in vancouver. Like I said the reviews are mixed and the only problem I read come up often is the hole in between the first and the second turbo.

I will let you know how it is in 1 month :)

Personal experience. I've only been in Canada for 2 years, and hail from New Zealand, home of all the japanese imports you guys have wanted, since.....time began haha.

Between myself, my brother and my friends we have owned 6 twin turbo legacies, and while they are comfortable, and great in the snow, they suck on every other level.

TE4MFaint - The back seats in GC8s are that bad, I've had 4 people in the car comfortably. Shit load better than the back seat of say......80% of USDM cars?

Canada can get the '94s now correct? 95s next year, so that is the version 1 for 94 and next year will be the version 2, for the sti model that is.

A6s with the 4.2 are great, would definitely get one if I could find a half decent version for under $10k.

Dope7
12-19-2009, 01:09 AM
you want reliable?

get the 325ix...it's the best of all.

M20 engines are trouble free if you do timing belt/water pump changes on time.

trust me i beat on mine and take it to 7k rpm all day.

be different, not like every one outhere with his mom driving WRX/EVO.

do it, once you go E30 you'll never go back.

FiveFreshFish
12-19-2009, 12:13 PM
E30s have their fair share of reliability problems as you stated this morning in your thread.

Originally posted by Dope7
the car handels amazing. but on the other part, i am dealing with an Electrical nightmare right now since my stupid wipers won't quit working.

03ozwhip
12-20-2009, 03:21 PM
that 205 changed my mind about all of the choices. i think thats the route im gonna go. im checking a WRC out tonight. i dont wanna get into the whole body kit thing and it looks like the gc8's really only look good with the sti conversion and all that. still not opposed if i cant get a 205 but its my first choice now...

Graham_A_M
12-20-2009, 09:01 PM
Originally posted by Dope7
you want reliable?

get the 325ix...it's the best of all.

M20 engines are trouble free if you do timing belt/water pump changes on time.

trust me i beat on mine and take it to 7k rpm all day.

be different, not like every one outhere with his mom driving WRX/EVO.

do it, once you go E30 you'll never go back.

^ I knew you'd be the first to rant and rave with the BMW's.

Just a quick question: How often do the clutches need to be replaced on the 94+ Celica Alltrac's?

how are they to work on? Im very interested in importing one as a winter car.

CelicaST-162
12-20-2009, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by TE4MFaint
I`ve had nothing but success and absolutely loved both GT-Fours (Alltracs) that I have owned.
90 ST185 & now my 94 ST205.

Strong power. Reliable. Inexpensive.
I love Toyota S block engines.

I`d recommend both. ST205 if you don`t mind spending a bit more money.

The GC8's are nice too. The back seats are pretty well useless however. Like already stated, the 2 door GC8's are sexy. 4 doors can look good too but look pretty ghey stock.

http://www.sbperformance.co.uk/Previously%20sold/STI4_GC8_1/Picture%20036-s.jpg

vs

http://img354.imageshack.us/img354/7968/640800tz9.jpg

Strong power-YES
Reliable- YES if been taken care of
Inexpensive? Fuck no, these cars have no room to work in. The engine bay is shitpacked! So in turn, Toyota techs HATE this car and labour wont be cheap.

Graham_AM, the clutch depends on the mileage and how well it's been driven. I did one at 195,000K on an 88 and 180K on a 1990.

Be prepared to spend money on this car if you need to, parts are going to be that much rarer since the ST205 was never made here. 03OZWhip, if you have questions about these cars, feel free to PM me.

TE4MFaint
12-20-2009, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by CelicaST-162

Strong power-YES
Reliable- YES if been taken care of
Inexpensive? Fuck no, these cars have no room to work in. The engine bay is shitpacked! So in turn, Toyota techs HATE this car and labour wont be cheap.

I dont see how the engine bay is shitpacked? (not my car)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/schmooot/GT-4/IMG_2223.jpg

#1 thing on these cars is maintainence though yes. But why wouldnt you want to maintain your car and keep it reliable?

I love my 205. This will be the car I never sell.

CelicaST-162
12-20-2009, 11:56 PM
Haha really? Well I guess after you do the "simple" chore of having to replace your spark plugs or if you're a little adventurous you can perform an oil change with a HOT engine, tell me how it goes! It's a love-hate for me, I love them but hate working on them. In fact, I wouldn't mind picking up a 205 for myself.

CelicaST-162
12-21-2009, 12:02 AM
Also, if you're not doing repairs on your own. For example, expect a Clutch change to be at least 12-15 Hours labour (It varies between years, A/C equipped or not, whether the engine can be avoided). Shitpacked eh? :nut:

Sorath
12-21-2009, 02:34 PM

I dont see how the engine bay is shitpacked? (not my car)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v288/schmooot/GT-4/IMG_2223.jpg

#1 thing on these cars is maintainence though yes. But why wouldnt you want to maintain your car and keep it reliable?

I love my 205. This will be the car I never sell.

how the fuck is that not shitpacked? :rofl:

SRT10Killer
12-21-2009, 04:53 PM
Haha really? Well I guess after you do the "simple" chore of having to replace your spark plugs or if you're a little adventurous you can perform an oil change with a HOT engine, tell me how it goes! It's a love-hate for me, I love them but hate working on them. In fact, I wouldn't mind picking up a 205 for myself.

Just did mine, took me 20 mins to get to the plugs ( did not have guidelines), I must say changing plugs can be frustrating the first time you do it on a st205, I wish it was like my 1990 corolla lol, but at the same time it's nowhere near as difficult as the Stealth/3000 gt rear plugs

TE4MFaint
12-21-2009, 07:42 PM

Just did mine, took me 20 mins to get to the plugs ( did not have guidelines), I must say changing plugs can be frustrating the first time you do it on a st205, I wish it was like my 1990 corolla lol, but at the same time it's nowhere near as difficult as the Stealth/3000 gt rear plugs

Truth.

http://brianpostma.tweakdsl.nl/pix/300zx-engine1.jpg

http://joeg.mi3si.org/images/96%20engine%20bay%20after%20cleaning.jpg

I will take working on my 205 engine bay any day.

And yes, with a clutch change you do have to drop the transmission and engine bay. Which is why one big thing to look at when purchasing one of these cars is how the clutch is. I would never buy one of these cars if the clutch was on its last legs or was slipping.

CelicaST-162
12-21-2009, 07:43 PM

Truth.

http://brianpostma.tweakdsl.nl/pix/300zx-engine1.jpg

http://joeg.mi3si.org/images/96%20engine%20bay%20after%20cleaning.jpg

I will take working on my 205 engine bay any day.

And yes, with a clutch change you do have to drop the transmission and engine bay. Which is why one big thing to look at when purchasing one of these cars is how the clutch is. I would never buy one of these cars if the clutch was on its last legs or was slipping.

With that said, I'm going to keep my eye on the marketplace around here. Certainly there are going to be some newbies that can't afford to replace the clutch on their 205's ;)

TE4MFaint
12-21-2009, 08:14 PM

With that said, I'm going to keep my eye on the marketplace around here. Certainly there are going to be some newbies that can't afford to replace the clutch on their 205's ;)

Heh, do it my friend. They are fun fun fun cars. Much different from the 165 & 185. Although I still wouldnt mind a 165 again for my winter car.
Little damn go karts =]

That.Guy.S30
12-21-2009, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

how the fuck is that not shitpacked? :rofl:

haha no doubt. the GC8 bay is empty compared to that thing

03ozwhip
12-30-2009, 09:20 PM
soooo, plans changed a bit. test drove a couple of celicas and they were hunks of shit. ive driven an st205 before and i was comparing to that nearly mint one (tintman22's) and they sucked balls pretty much.

i cant find a decent jdm in my price range and when i do, its sold pretty quick usually. SO now for whatever reason im looking at BMW's. i just drove a 98 328is and i absolutely loved it and im possibly even gonna go with it, but there are other BMW's im looking at and may need advice on this.

this particular 98 is a 5 speed and has 200k on it but has been maintained pretty well and has had all the problem areas fixed,( those with E36's know what im talking about) and i think its an M-Sport as well.

the next is a 93 E36 with 68000 original kms on it never winter driven (even though i would be doing that) completely mint, meticulously maintained and has a couple of goodies but is automatic and theyre both about the same price. were always trained to the mentality that newer is better, but in this situation what do you guys think? im not really into an automatic though, thats the thing about my next car is that i have to not regret it....HELP!

EDIT: I realize that this thread is originally about AWD but its my thread and ill hijack it about RWD if i want!:D

FiveFreshFish
12-30-2009, 09:31 PM
There are lots of E36s out there. Don't settle for an auto just because of the low km if a manual is truly what you want.

03ozwhip
12-31-2009, 02:24 PM
true enough but sometimes youll see the one exactly what you want it to be, but its an auto and that sucks balls...that kinda my situation...

bourge73
12-31-2009, 03:22 PM
I'd say thats good if its what your after but truth is? Its not. Want a manual? get one. If you dont you will just be the guy that says "ya its a cool car too bad its an automatic" you know the same thing everybody else is thinking?

03ozwhip
12-31-2009, 07:12 PM
ya manual it is. ill just keep searching until i find the right one. im still looking at the one that i posted about but again, i dont wanna jump on the first one i see. ive heard that auto thing before with one of the other cars i had, its definitely not another mistake im going to make after thinking about it....any suggestions about these E36's?

i did some homework on them and found the troublespots and im making sure those certain things have been changed and whatever, but are there any other +- about owning an E36?

TT-fast
12-31-2009, 07:33 PM
all i gotta say is stealth TT, do it now dont go for talons

SRT10Killer
12-31-2009, 07:39 PM
Originally posted by TT-fast
all i gotta say is stealth TT, do it now dont go for talons

Not a winter car man despite being awd abs etc. If you don't have a block heater/magnet/garage starting one in -30 or below takes a lot of life out of the engine (take it from a friend of mine)

SRT10Killer
12-31-2009, 08:47 PM
Check this out, I think it's a great winter car + fuel efficient/quick for what it is

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1988-Mazda-323-GTX-Hatchback-TURBO-AWD-W0QQAdIdZ167772838

03ozwhip
12-31-2009, 08:51 PM
^^oh fuck no that is ugly as all hell, almost as bad as a pulsar gtir. i think at this point because i havent found anything worthy of what im looking for, im expanding to BMW....unless i find something worthy that is....

SRT10Killer
12-31-2009, 09:36 PM
^^oh fuck no that is ugly as all hell, almost as bad as a pulsar gtir. i think at this point because i havent found anything worthy of what im looking for, im expanding to BMW....unless i find something worthy that is....

Yea it's ugly lol, but I bet it's fun. You might be able to find a gts-4 skyline, they are usually very cheap (4wd version of the GT-S). Also, since there is 3 months of winter remaining I think it's safe to get a frw domestic with decent winter tires :dunno:

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-1991-Nissan-Skyline-W0QQAdIdZ174986165#

Automatic, but awd and $2500, yes skylines are ugly too :D

03ozwhip
12-31-2009, 10:00 PM
^^talked to her actually! its got some issues that i really dont wanna fix because i want something i can get in and drive. trust me ive covered all the angles of different cars, ive looked at them all lol

95teetee
01-01-2010, 09:06 AM

Not a winter car man despite being awd abs etc. If you don't have a block heater/magnet/garage starting one in -30 or below takes a lot of life out of the engine (take it from a friend of mine) a whole lotta this.
Mine is absolutely incredible in the snow (even with cheap Kelly all-season tires) but not so incredible sitting there when it's extremely cold:(