PDA

View Full Version : Cracked Windshield Anyone?

ICEBERG
12-16-2009, 11:23 AM
The day is not over and already have 2 cracks on the windshield. Got one on deerfoot and one on memorial Drive.

QuasarCav
12-16-2009, 11:29 AM
Hi ICEBERG,

I too have a cracked windsheild but I could not identify the area and time of the occurance.

The_Rural_Juror
12-16-2009, 11:32 AM
I just got one on stoney. Do we have anyone on here that can fix small pits/cracks?

Kritafo
12-16-2009, 11:58 AM
Yup I got two last week and then with the cold one has spread from one side to the other. I will be waiting this one out until spring, it was a good 5 year run for me though. So I don't feel too bad.

JfuckinC
12-16-2009, 12:00 PM
lol the cold definitely made one of mine way bigger :nut:

GQBalla
12-16-2009, 12:07 PM
no cracks but the chips in my windshield alone this year for some reason is the most chips i have ever gotten in my entire car owner ship

J-D
12-16-2009, 12:09 PM
I got one on deerfoot, the chip was right below the wiper area so I didn't notice it in time :(

Tezzating
12-16-2009, 12:46 PM
My cars playing connect the dots :(

bourge73
12-16-2009, 01:12 PM
my car looks like it was machine gunned... Fn deerfoot.

S13_Ryan
12-16-2009, 01:31 PM
Beyond group buy on windsheilds for spring?:dunno:

jwslam
12-16-2009, 01:38 PM
Originally posted by S13_Ryan
Beyond group buy on windsheilds for spring?:dunno:
what about the 10% of us that don't drive civics? :rofl:

S13_Ryan
12-16-2009, 01:40 PM
??i dont drive a civic.

im just saying. if you go to any windsheild shop and tell them theyve got 15-20 dedicated potential buyers chances are they will whip up some sort of discount for the group.

Criticull
12-16-2009, 01:41 PM
I'm in for group buy. Crack on my windshield went from an inch to 6 to 30 in a month.

barmanjay
12-16-2009, 01:51 PM
Originally posted by Tezzating
My cars playing connect the dots :(

haha nice

mine did already and is starting to fill in the blank spots,.. lol

spikerS
12-16-2009, 01:56 PM
i set up a group buy a few years ago, and now i need 2 more windshields.

both the truck and now the Jeep both have the start of an alberta road map on the windshield.

The_Rural_Juror
12-16-2009, 02:03 PM
I am going to give that DIY chip repair a shot tonight. Does anyone have experience with it?

TDFTW
12-16-2009, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by The_Rural_Juror
I am going to give that DIY chip repair a shot tonight. Does anyone have experience with it? what kind of chip repair kit is it? I could probably do it for you if it's a good kit

kevie88
12-16-2009, 02:17 PM
I'll be driving my beater Outback for the warm stuff.

Rocks were pulverizing me on the way to work and I lol'd. :whocares: :nut:

Supa Dexta
12-16-2009, 03:46 PM
Yeah mine split right in half during the cold. Its staying that way until spring.

Tik-Tok
12-16-2009, 03:58 PM
Nothing yet, but I heard a few big ones hit today. So glad I'm driving the subaru, and not the Audi

$250 replacement much easier to handle then $750 replacement (and they're both brand new)

max_boost
12-16-2009, 07:20 PM
I swear it's inevitable that you are going to get a cracked windshield. Either I sold my car during winter or I've never made it through a winter without a crack windshield. Sucks. :nut:

Boomph
12-16-2009, 10:59 PM
Yah im pretty pissed off, I just got one on the drive home. Does anybody have any recommendations on where to go to get it filled?

johnboy27
12-16-2009, 11:35 PM
I survived last winter without even a chip and then this fall a tractor trailer passed me on the highway and sent a rock into my windshield. It cracked the other day and I am gonna try to push it to the bottom of the windshield so it doesn't spread too much.

BenC
12-17-2009, 01:47 AM
Cracked the tundra, got a small small chip then it fricken spread within 20 mins
And my suby's a goner lol

Alak
12-17-2009, 02:01 AM
Anyone know how to redirect the crack? Mines starting to get right exactly into my line of sight.

OCD OVERLOAD.

I was hoping to make it until the spring, but I might have to fork over $700 sooner than I thought.

v2kai
12-17-2009, 02:27 AM
fucking ridiculous havent had mine for a year and i've got a nice upper and separate lower crack pretty much all the way across. and you know if youre windshield is taking a beating so is your front end:banghead: :banghead: :banghead:

johnboy27
12-17-2009, 07:48 AM
Originally posted by Alak
Anyone know how to redirect the crack? Mines starting to get right exactly into my line of sight.

OCD OVERLOAD.

I was hoping to make it until the spring, but I might have to fork over $700 sooner than I thought.
Put your car in the garage and let the inside and outside wam up good and then place your thumb on the crack kind of point the thumb in the direction you want it to go(you may have to push it in the direction it is going and at the same time force it in the direction you need) and the put some force on it. Push you thumb into the window and start directing it as it cracks more. This may work for you or it may fail miserably. I have done it many time with pretty good success.

Alak
12-17-2009, 10:23 AM
Originally posted by johnboy27

Put your car in the garage and let the inside and outside wam up good and then place your thumb on the crack kind of point the thumb in the direction you want it to go(you may have to push it in the direction it is going and at the same time force it in the direction you need) and the put some force on it. Push you thumb into the window and start directing it as it cracks more. This may work for you or it may fail miserably. I have done it many time with pretty good success.

Yeah, a guy here at work was saying the same thing, so it might be something to try. I just know that if I get a new windshield before the spring thaw, that thing is just going to get pummled.

And I dont think glass coverage covers things like that no? Just vandalism and stuff like that?

Mar
12-17-2009, 10:50 AM
I'm thankful I still have the original windshield in my car from 2005. And surprised.

Tik-Tok
12-17-2009, 10:54 AM
Funny thing is, I'm a Deerfoot driver, daily to work and back from Glenmore to Mcknight, and I've only had one windshield crack on me in 8 years, that was on my pick-up.

Only reason I replaced my Audi one, was because it didn't crack, but was sandblasted enough that it had a ton of pitting, and the Subie was bought with a crack in it.

Kardon
12-17-2009, 11:00 AM
Brand new windshield a month ago, still looks perfect. Fingers crossed for the rest of winter.

flipstah
02-17-2010, 11:25 AM
Sorry to bump an old thread but I just got my first chip on my original windshield! Damn minivans! :banghead:

Any DIY kits that can fill cracks? Usually there's a tent that does it for me in the summer but I highly doubt they're camping out somewhere, especially with this weather.

Tik-Tok
02-17-2010, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by flipstah
Sorry to bump an old thread but I just got my first chip on my original windshield! Damn minivans! :banghead:

Any DIY kits that can fill cracks? Usually there's a tent that does it for me in the summer but I highly doubt they're camping out somewhere, especially with this weather.

If it's just a chip, either take it to a windshield place, and for $25 they'll fill it so it won't crack, or you can DIY, just by thoroughly cleaning the chip out, and fill it with crazy glue meant for glass/ceramic, just be sure you don't over fill it, otherwise it will drip down your windshield, and you won't get that off easily.

Mar
02-17-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

If it's just a chip, either take it to a windshield place, and for $25 they'll fill it so it won't crack, or you can DIY, just by thoroughly cleaning the chip out, and fill it with crazy glue meant for glass/ceramic, just be sure you don't over fill it, otherwise it will drip down your windshield, and you won't get that off easily. Where's the best place to have it done?

flipstah
02-17-2010, 12:16 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Where's the best place to have it done?

+1

Tik-Tok
02-17-2010, 12:21 PM
Not really a "best place", as it's pretty easy to fill a chip. Even those guys you see in parking lots with the tents can do it.(mind you they just seal it, you'll still have the chip visible). I go to Glassmasters just because it's close to my house.

flipstah
02-17-2010, 12:35 PM
K, I'll get mine done ASAP before it spreads!

GAH, stupid rocks. :banghead:

Mar
02-17-2010, 01:49 PM
Not really a "best place", as it's pretty easy to fill a chip. Even those guys you see in parking lots with the tents can do it.(mind you they just seal it, you'll still have the chip visible). I go to Glassmasters just because it's close to my house.

Okay so if they just seal it, what's the proper way to fix it and where can I get that done?

HHURICANE1
02-17-2010, 05:27 PM
The only "fix" is to replace the windshield. Cracks are very hard to stop once they start and past a couple of inches they really can't be fixed.

Mar
02-17-2010, 05:36 PM
Okay, I don't know why it's taking so long to get an answer to this. There's no crack, just a chip in the windshield. Where can I get this fixed properly?

MintRacer
02-17-2010, 05:43 PM
princess auto has a DIY chip repair kit. 20 bucks.

SJW
02-17-2010, 06:10 PM
I'm in for a group buy if someone starts a new thread and contacts a vendor.

Tik-Tok
02-17-2010, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by Mar
Okay, I don't know why it's taking so long to get an answer to this. There's no crack, just a chip in the windshield. Where can I get this fixed properly?
I don't know why it's taking so long for you to understand this. They seal the chipped part, that way, no cracks expand from it, there's no magical chip filling that will make it disappear forever. Pay $25 per chip, or replace the windshield.

nonlinear
02-17-2010, 08:46 PM
i had some chips fized a few years ago by a beyonder, i think it was Ven. He has a mobile service, so he'll come to you, and he gives beyonders a 20% discount (i think) so each chip works out to like $15 (i think). he also has a Chip Card system where every 4th chip is fixed free.

he fixed a few chips for me and they were good for about 3 years ago or so.

it was a long time ago, and i'm not 100% sure it was Ven, but if anyone is interested I have the card in my desk at work and can get the name/number.

Zhariak
02-17-2010, 08:49 PM
Originally posted by ICEBERG
The day is not over and already have 2 cracks on the windshield. Got one on deerfoot and one on memorial Drive.

Please don't remind me..

I replaced my windshield 4 or 5 times in a period of 5 months... (As you can read on a thread I made a while ago)...

My windshield was smoked (non-repairable) a few weeks ago, thankfully it's still in tact and doesn't need to be replaced...

moka989
02-18-2010, 05:21 AM
i got a chip/minaturecrack today. It will grow im waiting.. ugh.. im down for repair.

Mar
02-18-2010, 11:35 AM

I don't know why it's taking so long for you to understand this. They seal the chipped part, that way, no cracks expand from it, there's no magical chip filling that will make it disappear forever. Pay $25 per chip, or replace the windshield. Yet you still didn't tell me who they are. Another reply that doesn't help me.

Criticull
04-13-2010, 12:53 PM
bump...best place to get windshield replaced? Cal-Alta? Speedy?

flipstah
04-13-2010, 12:56 PM
Originally posted by Criticull
bump...best place to get windshield replaced? Cal-Alta? Speedy?

I got my 'spider' chip fixed through Deco and they were awesome.

It was a small chip, but it started to 'spider' and spread like a web but it was fixed, so mad props for them!

http://www.decorepair.com/

Destinova403
04-13-2010, 01:13 PM
im in for a group buy... got a crack running all the way across the bottom.

Criticull
04-13-2010, 01:34 PM
anyone else for group buy? Speaking of group buy, who does group sales lol?

Mar
04-13-2010, 01:34 PM
Anyone know where the parking lot guys hang out? Still need some chips fixed.

G
04-13-2010, 01:39 PM
Saw them out last weekend in parking lot at the south Costco parking lot.

Originally posted by Mar
Anyone know where the parking lot guys hang out? Still need some chips fixed.

Criticull
^There was one at petsmart on mcleod last year. They must be setting up shop pretty soon.
There was also one at Deerfoot Meadows by EB Games.

Bizzareo
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Mod edit: Non-sponsor soliciting. See rates for sponsorship info. (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=2)

Kloubek
Originally posted by Zhariak

...My windshield was smoked...

uh oh.. For a moment there, I thought we had another Scat.... :)

shakalaka
04-13-2010, 01:43 PM
I need this on my 350z, where can I find those parking lot kiosks that fill the chips? Or any of those shops?

Mitsu3000gt
04-13-2010, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by Bizzareo

I do crack and chip repair for deco. Anything smaller than a twoonie can be fixed, and ~20cm cracks can be fixed. Chips are under warranty.

Which one do you work at? I need a small star-like chip fixed but on the website every time I click on a location it says "this seasonal tent is closed". Thanks!

freshprince1
04-13-2010, 03:00 PM
My Mazda has some severe crackage in several spots on the passenger side...but it hasn't crossed the driver's line of sight...so no fixy for now!:thumbsup:

I had CalAlta replace a windshield a few years back, it was way cheaper than most other places, great service too.

Dave P
04-13-2010, 03:09 PM
Im getting killed this year.

4 Month old Sierra. Rock on deerfoot. within about 40 seconds, it went all the way across.

My gf's new Patriot. 4 days old. Took a rock on Anderson that split it half way across within a hour. Im sure by now its all the way across

Not Impressed.

zieg
04-13-2010, 03:34 PM
I have a TON of chips on my windshield now.. all within about a foot of eachother, too. weird.

I saw something at the world of wheels, wasn't paying too much attention but it looked like a coating or something for windshields to make them more chip resistant. Anyone else see this/know what I am talking about?

Bizzareo
04-13-2010, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by Mitsu3000gt

Which one do you work at? I need a small star-like chip fixed but on the website every time I click on a location it says "this seasonal tent is closed". Thanks!

It can vary from shift to shift. But we are open weather dependent, I will have a stable location by the end of the month. Once I receive my toolkit, I will be doing door to door by request.

And to clarify some stuff:

cost of chip repair:
22.95 for the first one, 15 for the second 10 for the rest.
I can add other cars to the same invoice if it is in the same day (within reason of course).

Cracks cost 40, unless the crack is really complicated. EX a star shape or multiple branches.

And the chips are guaranteed not too spread into cracks or become larger.

Do note that their is some scarring left after the repair, but it is not as noticeable as a chip or crack (looks like a smudge at worst and almost clear at best).

I will add another post when I have some more shifts and a location.

Beyond meet while you get your windshield fixed? :D

88CRX
04-13-2010, 04:15 PM
I made it through almost the entire winter without any major cracks only some minor chips (which I paid to get filled) only to get 2 giant chips a couple weeks back on the same day. One shot across the entire windshield before I was even home and the other cracked an inch or so and stopped. Such a fuckin' piss off.

bourge73
04-13-2010, 05:08 PM
what if we tinted our windshields would that help:confused:

Anyways I need one for the 78' Omega and one for a 06 Civic if we do a group buy. I seriously feeling like I am takin fire on Deerfoot its nuts

Bizzareo
04-13-2010, 05:12 PM
Tint is applied to the inside layer of the glass and has nothing to do with the chip/crack. Unless said chip/crack has broken both layers.

Though you might notice the scarring less with tint. It is not very noticeable unless the repair was crappy and not enough air was removed.

signature7
04-13-2010, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by ZiG-87
I have a TON of chips on my windshield now.. all within about a foot of eachother, too. weird.

I saw something at the world of wheels, wasn't paying too much attention but it looked like a coating or something for windshields to make them more chip resistant. Anyone else see this/know what I am talking about?

We have this on all of our cars.

http://www.clearplex.com/

I got mine done at Spy design in Okotoks. Works like a charm :D

RY213
04-13-2010, 06:43 PM
Im interested in a group buy as well. My windshield is destroyed :( When is a good time to replace it? Should I wait until they sweep the streets?

TYMSMNY
04-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Originally posted by RY213
Im interested in a group buy as well. My windshield is destroyed :( When is a good time to replace it? Should I wait until they sweep the streets?

Yes. Otherwise you'll just run a higher risk of getting another chip/crack 1 month down the road. Wait.

Criticull
04-14-2010, 02:21 PM
In for group buy. Does Cal Alta do them? Speedy? I called speedy yesterday and they quoted me @ 298 installed for '03 rsx. Is that a good price? The guy said he could beat it if I found something better.

Mitsu3000gt
04-14-2010, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Bizzareo

It can vary from shift to shift. But we are open weather dependent, I will have a stable location by the end of the month. Once I receive my toolkit, I will be doing door to door by request.

And to clarify some stuff:

cost of chip repair:
22.95 for the first one, 15 for the second 10 for the rest.
I can add other cars to the same invoice if it is in the same day (within reason of course).

Cracks cost 40, unless the crack is really complicated. EX a star shape or multiple branches.

And the chips are guaranteed not too spread into cracks or become larger.

Do note that their is some scarring left after the repair, but it is not as noticeable as a chip or crack (looks like a smudge at worst and almost clear at best).

I will add another post when I have some more shifts and a location.

Beyond meet while you get your windshield fixed? :D

Sounds good, let me/us know when you are all set up and that's where I'll go.

Sugarphreak
04-14-2010, 03:20 PM

flipstah
06-21-2010, 08:41 PM
Anyone know how to fix microscopic chips? It's not a crack per-se but if you feel my windshield, it's bumpy and feels like a teen recovering from major acne problems.

Is there any way to fix this besides replacing the whole thing? Remember, it's not cracked. Just rough.

Mar
06-21-2010, 09:13 PM
I got 2 chips replaced by AC Deco in the Sunridge Mall parking lot, they're there every sunny day. And 1 fixed in the Rona parking lot across the street on a rainy day they weren't there.