PDA

View Full Version : Safeway's "O Organic" brand

Super_Geo
12-16-2009, 01:42 PM
I think I'm finally ready to put my university eating habits behind me (back when a tie between two products was broken by choosing the one with more fat and salt), especially after reading and watching documentaries about the state of the North American food industry.

To tell you the truth, I'm pretty indifferent to the 'animal cruelty' side of it... but if giving chickens some extra leg room makes the food tastier or healthier then so much the better. What I'm mostly worried about is limiting the amount of hormones, pesticides and preservatives that ends up being part of the meat.

I do most of my shopping at Safeway and have been trying out their "O Organic" line. The premium is anywhere between 10-100% above comparable products that aren't labeled organic.

Does anyone know if these products are actually produced at a higher standard than the normal run-of-the-mill stuff? Or is it just some clever marketing ploy to get yuppies and hypochondriacs to fork over their money?

Also, where do you guys shop for your 'healthier' eating items?

Jeremiah
12-16-2009, 01:46 PM
I find organic food to be a farse...

Watch Penn and Teller Bullshit! On Natural Foods, save your money

nonlinear
12-16-2009, 04:37 PM
super geo, can you recommend some good documentaries on the american food industry? i've seen some trailers in the past, but never got aro0und to tracking them down.

i think i saw fast food nation, but it was a drama and i didn.t like it.

nonlinear
12-16-2009, 04:38 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah
I find organic food to be a farse...

Watch Penn and Teller Bullshit! On Natural Foods, save your money

i don't know about health benefits, or whatever, but IMO organic food sure does taste better.

BloNdie
12-16-2009, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by nonlinear
super geo, can you recommend some good documentaries on the american food industry? i've seen some trailers in the past, but never got aro0und to tracking them down.

"Food Inc" was pretty good

LowRiderHD2000
12-16-2009, 05:16 PM
I am not a huge fan of the "O" brand of organic produce at safeway. I do fell that getting it from the Farmers Market in Calgary and being able to talk to the growers does make me fell more confident I am getting a quality product. They have some veggies at the farmers market that are truly better tasting and will also last longer.

I am also trying to make up for years of abuse. :thumbsup:

Jeremiah
12-16-2009, 05:19 PM

i don't know about health benefits, or whatever, but IMO organic food sure does taste better.

No it doesn't.

You have convinced yourself that it tastes better.

Eating organic foods is like a fucking cult.

You're all in the mindset that its better for you, its made better, its fresher, the taste is much more natural.

DING DONG - WRONG...

I would like to wager money that if given a blind taste test you would fail...

(not trying to be mean or anything, you seem like a chill guy, but srsly organic is FTMFL)

(http://www.ninjavideo.net/video/32598) -> Load the Ninja Video Helper thing and then refresh the page and watch the video

Super_Geo
12-16-2009, 05:28 PM

Originally posted by BloNdie

"Food Inc" was pretty good

Food Inc is a great doc, though it doesn't seem to garner much interest around here... haha I made a thread about it which got a whopping 3 or 4 replies :rofl: Anyway, I saw the movie and it's quite well made. And I appreciate how it isn't trying to convince you to be a vegetarian... just to be aware of how "industrialized" the food industry has become, and where this falls short of the old fashioned way of doing things.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/264953/food-inc-/

At sputnik's recommendation I read "In Defense of Food," which is a great book, but very repetitive. It could probably be reduced to 20-30 pages, and boils down to:

1) Don't eat anything your grandmother wouldn't recognize.
2) Stay to the perimeter of grocery stores (where the fresh produce, meats and breads are).
3) Try not to eat anything with more than 5 ingredients.
4) Try to avoid ingredients you can't pronounce.
5) Try not to eat too much meat... eat mostly plants (raw if possible).

He makes a point against "low fat" foods, saying natural fat isn't necessarily a bad thing (in moderation). When people remove the fat out of food, they need to put chemicals and additives in its place to restore some of the flavor, compounds which humans have only recently started eating (whereas our bodies have been eating and processing fat since we were monkeys).

I haven't had a chance to read "The Omnivore's Dilemma" yet... maybe I'll get some time after Christmas to pull it off the bookshelf.

I've been pretty happy with the transition I've been making in my eating habits... and I don't only eat healthy foods (haha 2AM trips to Singapore Sams absolutely shitfaced after the bar would definitely doesn't fall under any of the guidelines), but I've noticed that I've dropped some pounds and feel a bit better overall. Haha maybe it's the placebo effect, who knows... but I plan on keeping on track for the near future.

Tik-Tok
12-16-2009, 05:41 PM
Unfortunately the organic food industry in Canada has some pretty lax regulations. There isn't much to define what IS organic, and what ISN'T.

For example last summer in superstore, I saw 2 types of maple syrup, side by side, on the same shelf (if I had a phone with a good camera, I would have taken a photo).

Same brand name, same glass bottle, almost identical labels, only one was green in colour and "organic", and one was blue in colour, and not. The non-organic one was $5.50, the organic one, $7.50 (same size bottles, like I said SAME bottles).

Now ok, I understand that maybe the organic one, is produced from trees that no longer use pesticides, etc., BUT maple trees aren't tapped until they're approx. 40 years old. Am I being led to believe that NO non-organic pesticides were used on these trees for 40 years? That 40 years ago, someone foresaw the future, and knew that organic was the way to go? How many years of non-organic pesticides are stored up in that tree?

(oh, and they've since changed the bottles, to make it less obvious the consumer is being ripped off)

nonlinear
12-16-2009, 06:51 PM

No it doesn't.

You're all in the mindset that its better for you, its made better, its fresher, the taste is much more natural.

DING DONG - WRONG...

(not trying to be mean or anything, you seem like a chill guy, but srsly organic is FTMFL)

(http://www.ninjavideo.net/video/32598) -> Load the Ninja Video Helper thing and then refresh the page and watch the video

sorry man, but you can't even attempt to change the opinion of a food snob like me :thumbsup: my parents also raise organic beef and there is a major difference there.

EDIT: but I should be careful making a blanket statement like that. what I meant is that the organic meats and produce that I typically buy are superior to the other shit you get. however, it may not be because they're "organic," but because they are better plants/animals, produces with care over a longer period of time and on a small scale. this is why they cost more - but they taste way better as a result.

Jeremiah
12-17-2009, 12:22 AM
Fair enough, but Organic food in the general scheme of things is a Scam

clem24
12-17-2009, 02:13 PM
Fair enough, but Organic food in the general scheme of things is a Scam

I would sort of agree with this. It's a blanket statement but cannot apply to everything. There are some organic stuff out there that truly is better, but many of it is just as bad as the non-organic counterpart. I believe the premise behind organic is that there are certain additives or pesticides that they can or cannot use. So just because something is organic doesn't mean it's pesticide free. Also, I would assume that if a food item didn't contain anything on the 'organic ban list' then they can basically sell it as organic (as per Tik Tok's observation on maple syrup). And then true organic growing practices also has it's own issues.

In any case, I don't usually buy organic. My wife loves to. But I think it's a win-win if you do your research on what items to look out for and which ones to avoid. There was an article somewhere that actually rated which products were worth buying organic over which ones were not. Let me try to find it...

Edit:

http://www.quackwatch.org/01QuackeryRelatedTopics/organic.html

And the stuff I was referring to can be googled pretty easily -- lists which fruits to buy organic and which to not.

Here's one:

http://www.chicagonow.com/blogs/practically-green/2009/08/top-15-organic-foods-to-buy-and-eat.html

TKRIS
12-17-2009, 02:38 PM
EDIT: but I should be careful making a blanket statement like that. what I meant is that the organic meats and produce that I typically buy are superior to the other shit you get. however, it may not be because they're "organic," but because they are better plants/animals, produces with care over a longer period of time and on a small scale. this is why they cost more - but they taste way better as a result.

Ding ding ding.
Has absolutely nothing to do with it being organic.

Saying organic food tastes better because it is organic is the same as saying that organic milk has a longer shelf life than regular milk. That is occasionally the case, but it has absolutely nothing to do with it being organic.

If you have to come down on one side or the other: Don't waste money on "organic" food in the grocery store. If anything, it generally does more harm than good.

schmooot
12-17-2009, 04:58 PM
just remember that anything you buy "organic" that comes from the states is a waste of money because they irradiate it when it comes across the border. I prefer my organic stuff to be from the local farmers market or from my own garden.

dansmith11
12-17-2009, 05:12 PM
from what ive read, a lot of the "natural" pesticides they use are actually worse for you then the moderm chemical stuff. its not like organically grown food suddenly has no need for pesticides.. they have the same pest control issues as any crop, they are just limited to what they can use to control it. and my understanding is that a lot of the natural/approved for organic growing stuff is actually worse for you.

also organic farms procude less food per acre, and therefore have a MORE negative impact on the enviroment then non-organic crops.

TKRIS
12-17-2009, 05:19 PM
That is mostly correct yes.
Instead of using the highly efficient and effective pesticides we've developed over the past few decades, "organic" farms use a whole bunch of the crappy shit we used to use before we knew any better.

Norman Bourlaug (who, unfortunately died recently) estimated that about a billion people would have to die if we decided to globally switch to "organic" food production methods.

msommers
12-17-2009, 07:13 PM
Farmer's Market and buying from the Hutterites is a great way to go.

As for organic vs non tasting, taste a garden carrot vs. a regular store bought one. Huge difference. Could I tell the difference between organic maple syrup and non...fuck no. Vegetables and fruit I find are the most noticeable items.

TKRIS
12-17-2009, 07:28 PM
Originally posted by msommers
Farmer's Market and buying from the Hutterites is a great way to go.

As for organic vs non tasting, taste a garden carrot vs. a regular store bought one. Huge difference. Could I tell the difference between organic maple syrup and non...fuck no. Vegetables and fruit I find are the most noticeable items.
I'm all for buying from the farmer's market, but don't do it for imaginary reasons.
By all means, support your local producer. I also agree that the produce is usually a better quality and tastes better, but it's not because it's organic.

You can sometimes tell the difference between some fruits and vegetables because of where and how they're grown and when they're picked, not because of organic vs non-organic.
The tomatoes I grow in my garden are WAY fucking better than anything I can buy at the grocery store. That's because I grow them in good soil, and I let them vine ripen. It has zero to do with whether or not they are organic.

This is, by far, the biggest misunderstanding regarding organic vs. non organic. "Organic" is getting credit for things that have nothing to do with it being "organic".
Excuse the pun, but it's comparing apples to oranges.

The taste argument is a matter of commercial production methods vs. local production methods, not organic vs non-organic.
That established, 75% of the "organic" food in the supermarket comes from the exact same farms as the normal stuff, and is harvested the same way as the normal stuff.
The tomatoes I grow in my garden taste better than either kind of supermarket, regardless as to whether or not they are organic.

Baron O' Funk
12-18-2009, 01:21 AM
1. I believe organic foods (hormone free, free range blah blah blah etc etc etc), are hugely beneficial to the human body. You would really have to be an idiot to argue other wise.

2. Unfortunately, I think we are currently caught in a sort of food limbo. Organic food is now becoming popular, main stream fair, and therefore subject to all the marketing ploys associated with a new trend (much like "green" cleaning products, who knows what that really means!?) Until there is a universal, standardized governing body in regards to "organic" (and "green") products, then we really are at the mercy of the creativity of the marketing team.

Even if you go to the farmers market say at Curry Barracks, many of the produce sellers arent even local. Aside from the fact that your not supporting local growers, there may be differing regulations as to what the food is labeled as, as it pertains to organic.

On a side note. For those "food snobs" mentioned above ;-) (me being one), I highly recommend FARM on 17th ave. Its a great restaurant where they specialize in locally grown produce, meats, and cheese. EXCELLENT DINING. (Its attached and affiliated somehow to the Janice Beaton cheese shop).

TKRIS
12-18-2009, 09:29 AM
Originally posted by Baron O' Funk
1. I believe organic foods (hormone free, free range blah blah blah etc etc etc), are hugely beneficial to the human body. You would really have to be an idiot to argue other wise.
Hahahahahahaha
"I figure, without any actual evidentiary support, that organic food must be better, mostly because I have a positive association with the word "Organic". And with rock solid logic like that, anyone who disagrees with my figuring must be a moron."
This is the problem with organic food. People have made their decisions based on emotion instead of reason.
It is hilarious that you're bitching about marketing, when your entire view on the subject is based purely on just that, and stands in stark contrast to any sort of critical analysis. And anyone who disagrees is an idiot.:rofl:

"Organic" food producers have, possibly through no fault, or credit, of their own, managed to do the seemingly impossible. Instead of having to "sell" people, they've labeled it as something that causes people to want to sell it to themselves. People are so in love with the term "organic" that they've invented reasons why it's better, invented an image of what it is, and at the same time, attached a huge stigma to "organic" food's competition by labeling it as "non-organic" (which is fucking hilarious, BTW).
This is even more brilliant when you consider that the vast majority of "organic" produce comes from the exact same place as conventional produce.
Essentially, by virtue of coming up with an appealing name that's become a buzzword, producers have made it possible to jack prices up by as much as 100% for a virtually identical product. Takes a bit more land and there is more waste because it's not as efficient, but nowhere near enough to offset the fact that they're charging $2 for an apple. At the same time, the public has demonized the idea of not spending 100% more for everything.

And all the while, we have a plethora of studies that show there is no quantifiable difference between the two items. There is nothing whatsoever to indicate that your body can distinguish between them in any way.

This is possibly the greatest marketing campaign ever. They've convinced people that 1 product is better even though it isn't, they've convinced them that it's worth paying twice as much for, and they've made those who don't pay twice as much for the same thing seem like they don't care about their health; if they don't pay twice as much for the same product because it's labeled as something that makes you feel all warm and fuzzy, that they're an idiot.
And best of all, it's the same people selling you both items.
:rofl:

EDIT: And that's just the vegetables and such. The "organic" argument in animal products is even more hilarious.

msommers
12-18-2009, 10:35 AM
Originally posted by TKRIS

I'm all for buying from the farmer's market, but don't do it for imaginary reasons.
By all means, support your local producer. I also agree that the produce is usually a better quality and tastes better, but it's not because it's organic.

You can sometimes tell the difference between some fruits and vegetables because of where and how they're grown and when they're picked, not because of organic vs non-organic.
The tomatoes I grow in my garden are WAY fucking better than anything I can buy at the grocery store. That's because I grow them in good soil, and I let them vine ripen. It has zero to do with whether or not they are organic.

This is, by far, the biggest misunderstanding regarding organic vs. non organic. "Organic" is getting credit for things that have nothing to do with it being "organic".
Excuse the pun, but it's comparing apples to oranges.

The taste argument is a matter of commercial production methods vs. local production methods, not organic vs non-organic.
That established, 75% of the "organic" food in the supermarket comes from the exact same farms as the normal stuff, and is harvested the same way as the normal stuff.
The tomatoes I grow in my garden taste better than either kind of supermarket, regardless as to whether or not they are organic.

Fair enough and I can agree. I guess I didn't make my point very clear.

I guess when I think organic I think local gardens, farms or orchards because where we buy, there are no extra chemicals added to feed or sprayed on, and I do notice a difference in taste. I guess that's the problem with continuing that logic when carried to the store. But fuck even local eggs taste better than anything at the store, which as far as I've been told, are laid by free run chickens with quality feed with no steroids etc. A friend of ours surprised us with 2 huge apple boxes of BC fruit this summer. We compared it to the stuff we had just bought at the store, also a noticeable difference. Was one organic and one not, who knows. I just know which ones taste better!

Fair's market vegetables taste exactly the same as the stuff that comes out of my grandma's garden, so that's why we like it. Supporting local farmers is a great idea but I'll be honest, it's not the primary reason we go there.

TKRIS
12-18-2009, 10:59 AM

Fair enough and I can agree. I guess I didn't make my point very clear.

I guess when I think organic I think local gardens, farms or orchards because where we buy, there are no extra chemicals added to feed or sprayed on, and I do notice a difference in taste.
Again, you notice a taste because it's grown under better conditions, and it allowed to ripen properly, not because there weren't chemicals used. Also, if the person selling these does so for a living, it's almost certain that chemicals were used.

I guess that's the problem with continuing that logic when carried to the store. But fuck even local eggs taste better than anything at the store, which as far as I've been told, are laid by free run chickens with quality feed with no steroids etc.
Funny you should mention eggs. I have some in my fridge that my wife got from the store, and I have some from a friend's mother's farm (free range, grain fed and all that). Last weekend my wife and I commented that the farm fresh ones tasted better. Then I made one of each to see if I could tell the difference. Guess what?

I've done that a few times with "organic" bought produce as well. Haven't found anything that's tasted better because it was organic.

A friend of ours surprised us with 2 huge apple boxes of BC fruit this summer. We compared it to the stuff we had just bought at the store, also a noticeable difference. Was one organic and one not, who knows. I just know which ones taste better!

Fair's market vegetables taste exactly the same as the stuff that comes out of my grandma's garden, so that's why we like it. Supporting local farmers is a great idea but I'll be honest, it's not the primary reason we go there.

Sure, again, I completely agree. Spend your money on the better taste if you'd like. By all means, keep buying produce from the farmer's that provide you with the best tasting product. Just don't confuse that with having anything to do with "organic".
My point of contention is just that some assume"organic" means "better taste". It doesn't.
You can't tell the difference between an organic carrot and a conventional produced carrot, if the other variables that influence taste are removed.
You wouldn't be able to tell whether or not my tomatoes are organic by tasting them. A lot of people would *think* they were organic because they taste better than the store-bought stuff, but that doesn't mean they are. Maybe they are, maybe they're not. The point is, you can't tell by eating one.

8Zqe4ZV9LDs

The thing I find interesting about this clip is that the people who claim to prefer to eat organic because it tastes better act like they got a question wrong when they choose the non-organic food. They're so convinced that they should like organic food better than they're disappointed when they don't choose it. Like it's the fault of their unsophisticated palate or something, and they're embarrassed they weren't able to pick the one that's clearly the better tasting food. haha
Even better, they're so convinced that there must be a difference in taste, if you take steps to make sure there isn't so that people can base their decisions on their bias instead of their sense of taste, they imagine a difference. lol
In short, they've completely missed the point: If you can't tell, you can't tell, so quit saying you can.

Darkane
12-18-2009, 12:34 PM

No it doesn't.

DING DONG - WRONG...

I'll bite here <no pun> Here's some delicious Grass Fed VS Grain fed facts for you.

What do you know about Omega 6 fatty acids VS Omega 3 and 9 Fatty acids?

Basically it boils down to this: Omega 3's prevent heart disease and have an incredible amount of duty in our cells. If Cows are switched from omega 3 high grass to poor omega grains they lose their dietary intake of Omega 3's. Our diets have become increasingly higher in the Omega 6:3 ration then in the past it's causing issues.

Grass fed beef is also leaner and IMHO does taste better. The only thing is that it's not as marbled and therefore some people may not enjoy it. I'm not a Grissel kind of guy I like my meats lean.

Milk, Cheese, Yogurts etc from a grass fed cow have many more benifits as well. Cheese has more CLA, which is a fatty acid that has numerous anti properties.

It's cheaper to fatten Cow's and other animals on grains rather than pasture.

Don't even get my started on the Estrogenic compounds they inject milk producing cows to keep them "flowing". That shit ends up in our systems.

Meh.

Calgary farmers market is the shit, go there. Support the locals.

I bought 40lbs of Grass fed, free range, certified organic extra lean ground beef and only Premium Meats up here in McMurray has ever had tastier beef. Supermarket shit, is well shit.

EDIT: happy reading!

http://www.eatwild.com/healthbenefits.htm

Jeremiah
12-18-2009, 01:23 PM
I was more so talking about produce, not so much meat, but good food for thought, thanks for schooling me on Omegas, i knew there was a reason i was taking this disgusting fish oil lol

Baron O' Funk
12-18-2009, 01:47 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS

Hahahahahahaha
&quot;I figure, without any actual evidentiary support, that organic food must be better, mostly because I have a positive association with the word &quot;Organic&quot;. And with rock solid logic like that, anyone who disagrees with my figuring must be a moron.&quot;
This is the problem with organic food. People have made their decisions based on emotion instead of reason.
It is hilarious that you're bitching about marketing, when your entire view on the subject is based purely on just that, and stands in stark contrast to any sort of critical analysis. And anyone who disagrees is an idiot.:rofl:

&quot;Organic&quot; food producers have, possibly through no fault, or credit, of their own, managed to do the seemingly impossible. Instead of having to &quot;sell&quot; people, they've labeled it as something that causes people to want to sell it to themselves. People are so in love with the term &quot;organic&quot; that they've invented reasons why it's better, invented an image of what it is, and at the same time, attached a huge stigma to &quot;organic&quot; food's competition by labeling it as &quot;non-organic&quot; (which is fucking hilarious, BTW).
This is even more brilliant when you consider that the vast majority of &quot;organic&quot; produce comes from the exact same place as conventional produce.
Essentially, by virtue of coming up with an appealing name that's become a buzzword, producers have made it possible to jack prices up by as much as 100% for a virtually identical product. Takes a bit more land and there is more waste because it's not as efficient, but nowhere near enough to offset the fact that they're charging $2 for an apple. At the same time, the public has demonized the idea of not spending 100% more for everything

First I am not bitching about anything, I was simply pointing out (much like you are), that the term organic gets thrown around a lot now and blindly buying products labelled organic may mean nothing in terms of the quality of the product. Second, how do you know where and how I am forming my position? Thats seems rather presumptuous from what little information I provided.

So given the choice to eat a tomato grown in your own back yard where you know exactly what was used, the care given, the quality of soil, etc etc or one grown with who knows how many chemicals, fertilizers, pesticides ... which would you choose and why?

I was stating that to me it seems logical to eat food products, all types of food products, with the least amount of biproducts, fillers, hormons, chemicals etc. and to argue against that seems idiotic. I was not arguing for buying "organic" food as it is labeled in the stores, because (as my post alludes to, or so I thought) there currently is no governance on exactly what that means. So like you point out many of these products are coming from the same growers with discernable differences. Even at the farmers market much of the produce is not locally grown. I understand that locally vs non locally grown products dont necessarily factor into the term "organic", but in an ideal situation you would know that when you buy produce (for me anyways), that you are supporting local growers, but thats beside the point.

"I'm all for buying from the farmer's market, but don't do it for imaginary reasons.

The tomatoes I grow in my garden are WAY fucking better than anything I can buy at the grocery store. That's because I grow them in good soil, and I let them vine ripen. It has zero to do with whether or not they are organic."

It seems to me that you see benefit in higher quality produce, so I dont know why you wouldnt agree with my original statement. Perhaps you are focusing on the word "organic", as it being used in stores and marketing, too much. If I had said "I believe foods that are grown and produced with less amounts or no amounts of chemicals, biproducts, fillers, INSERT CRAPPY FOOD STUFF HERE, are more beneficial to the human body than those that are. You would really have to be an idiot to argue other wise," would have argued with me? It seems to me that you are the one who is hung up on the term organic.

Organic food or not, it seems common sense that an apple grown without chemicals vs one grown with is a better choice health wise, or at least for me it is. I dont want those chemicals and other substances ending up in my system. Cancer seems so common now a days, and although we dont know all the causes why gamble with your diet?

potatopineapple
12-18-2009, 06:45 PM

It seems to me that you see benefit in higher quality produce, so I dont know why you wouldnt agree with my original statement. Perhaps you are focusing on the word &quot;organic&quot;, as it being used in stores and marketing, too much. If I had said &quot;I believe foods that are grown and produced with less amounts or no amounts of chemicals, biproducts, fillers, INSERT CRAPPY FOOD STUFF HERE, are more beneficial to the human body than those that are. You would really have to be an idiot to argue other wise,&quot; would have argued with me? It seems to me that you are the one who is hung up on the term organic.

Organic food or not, it seems common sense that an apple grown without chemicals vs one grown with is a better choice health wise, or at least for me it is. I dont want those chemicals and other substances ending up in my system. Cancer seems so common now a days, and although we dont know all the causes why gamble with your diet?

Where would you get these chemical free apples? Even organic farmers have to use pesticides, etc.

Tik-Tok
12-18-2009, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by potatopineapple

Where would you get these chemical free apples? Even organic farmers have to use pesticides, etc.

That's just the point. It's another organic myth that organic lovers like to try and push on other people.

Baron O' Funk
12-18-2009, 10:31 PM

It was an example, dont worry about the fucking apples. The point is that "organic", when used properly (this encompasses everything from the use or non-use of pesticides, free range animals, hormones, sustainable agriculture etc.) has numerous benefits, some of which extend beyond humans but to the environment and the animals themselves.

However, like I mentioned above its not a blanket issue, and just blindly buying products labelled organic is not wise. It is best to educate yourself on diet and nutritional information such as the growing or farming techniques. Do with it what you will. :dunno:

potatopineapple
12-18-2009, 11:11 PM

It was an example, dont worry about the fucking apples. The point is that &quot;organic&quot;, when used properly (this encompasses everything from the use or non-use of pesticides, free range animals, hormones, sustainable agriculture etc.) has numerous benefits, some of which extend beyond humans but to the environment and the animals themselves.

However, like I mentioned above its not a blanket issue, and just blindly buying products labelled organic is not wise. It is best to educate yourself on diet and nutritional information such as the growing or farming techniques. Do with it what you will. :dunno:

You are the one calling people, who disagree with you idiots. When you don't even know what you are talking about. You brought up the apples as an example to prove your point but now you want to drop it?

Seeing as how you are so educated, why don't you enlighten us on how a farmer is suppose to make a living growing any crops without the use of pesticides and fertilizers? The simple answer is they cannot, period.

If you are so worried about hormones, why would you be drinking milk in the first place? If free range beef is so great, why is ultra unnatural Wagyū beef even better?

cancer man
12-19-2009, 02:54 AM
Will Hydroponic Tomatoes and Cucumbers be classified as organic?

Baron O' Funk
12-19-2009, 11:46 AM

You are the one calling people, who disagree with you idiots. When you don't even know what you are talking about. You brought up the apples as an example to prove your point but now you want to drop it?

Seeing as how you are so educated, why don't you enlighten us on how a farmer is suppose to make a living growing any crops without the use of pesticides and fertilizers? The simple answer is they cannot, period.

If you are so worried about hormones, why would you be drinking milk in the first place? If free range beef is so great, why is ultra unnatural Wagy&amp;#363; beef even better?

There is different types of fertilizers and pesticides, not all produce can be labelled "pesticide free", which is different than organic. There are alternatives to commercial fertilizers and synthetic pesticides. Further, it does not just encompass things like fertilizer and pesticides, it covers things like genetically engineered life forms, foods preserved by irradiation, and crops grown on land fertilized by sewage sludge.

Why is Wagyu super unnatural? My understanding is that there are rumours about the cows being fed beer and massaged with sake, and I know they have intense marbelling and contain more fatty acids and omega 3s. Im slightly skeptical ordering KOBE beef in north america as it seems to be another marketing ploy much like blindly buying organic, and I have read that true Wagyu only exists in Japan because the NA products is cross bred with another type of cow, not sure though?

Look, Im not out to get anyone and I didnt mean to say all who disagree with me are idiots, I was simply trying to say that blindly buying organic is not a wise choice, nor is blanketing the whole organic thing a farse or marketing ploy. There is benefits to be had, but currently one must weed through all the marketing ploys and irregularities because there is no standard of governance on this stuff. I think it is idiotic to blindly write it off on either side of the coin.

HondaKid
12-20-2009, 07:55 AM

You are misinformed, please read the article:

http://www.appleluscious.com/orchard/wild.html