PDA

View Full Version : APR Tuning - Concept 1

Skrilla
12-16-2009, 02:22 PM
Just got my jetta MKV 2.0T today, and already the mod bug has hit me, so after doing a little research it seems APR Tuning Stage 1 upgrade is by far the best bang for your buck.

So i called up Concept 1 as they are the nearest APR dealer, and the guy I spoke with was very friendly and knowledgeable. He told me that this is by far the most popular upgrade, some people even get it done on there way home from getting the car new.

Just wanting to see if anyone has any experience with the APR programs and/or Concept 1.

Kloubek
12-16-2009, 02:39 PM
I have done some research into their Audi programming. It seems like the claimed gains on their website are actually really close to reality. And for anyone who has been on their website, the gains are truly impressive for turbo-based cars.

I'd say go for it! Are their prices consistant with the APR website? I'd assume not, as the prices on there are probably in US dollars, but I want to know for the future...

Skrilla
12-16-2009, 02:46 PM
Well he said they are on sale until christmas, pricing was:

Regular Price:$899 + $60 (install) + GST + $50 if i want the security lockout.

Sale Price: $658 + $50 (install) + GST and I get all 3 programs free plus the security lock out!

253HP / 303TQ with 93 octane pump gas.....not to shabby IMO

adidas
12-16-2009, 02:53 PM
best bang for you buck.

there is thousands of people out there using the APR software and its one of the best.

Enjoy the smile from ear to ear for the first couple of weeks.

JfuckinC
12-16-2009, 02:54 PM
That's on helluva deal compared to reg too!!

beyond_ban
12-16-2009, 02:56 PM
What are the long term affects on your engine from installing this software?

max_boost
12-16-2009, 03:08 PM
Interesting, so with this security lock out thing, if I took my car into the dealer for service and changed it back to the OEM setting, there's no way for the dealer to know then right?

scat19
12-16-2009, 03:09 PM
eurodrivers.ca

Kloubek
12-16-2009, 03:15 PM
Originally posted by Skrilla
Well he said they are on sale until christmas, pricing was:

Regular Price:$899 + $60 (install) + GST + $50 if i want the security lockout.

Sale Price: $658 + $50 (install) + GST and I get all 3 programs free plus the security lock out!

253HP / 303TQ with 93 octane pump gas.....not to shabby IMO

...so only marginally more than their site says. (For the price)

Great deal man - go for it.

That is quite the performance increase from just programming!

dyummy
12-16-2009, 03:16 PM
i got my 2.0T A3 chipped through APR and the difference is night and day for me. i got it done in july and its given me no problems as of yet but i when i got it done it was during some summer promotion they had going to i rushed to get it down before the deadline but i noticed they had the same deal in october (achtoberfest) and for december they are having it for xmas so im assuming this deal is on more often than not. So i dont think you have to worry about missing out on the sale if you need time to think about it.

the security lockout is great, you control it with the cruise control buttons and you make your own password once you unlock it and put in on the program you want it to be on, lock it up again, there is no way of telling your car is chipped.

i read around and as for long term effects you may want to upgrade your DV to something more robust given the extra power other than that you shouldnt have any other worries once chipped.

Skrilla
12-16-2009, 03:22 PM
Originally posted by dyummy
i read around and as for long term effects you may want to upgrade your DV to something more robust given the extra power other than that you shouldnt have any other worries once chipped.

Yea i did notice they said something about upgrading the DV. Im not sure if i should wait till spring for that or not, wont get driven to hard in the winter months.

max_boost
12-16-2009, 03:25 PM
^^

That's perfect then. I'm going to get it done. More power FTW!

Skrilla
12-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
^^

That's perfect then. I'm going to get it done. More power FTW!

:thumbsup: Concept 1 told me there shop car is a MKV jetta and after the Stage 1 he said it was a totally different animal, 303tq FTW

dyummy
12-16-2009, 03:35 PM

Yea i did notice they said something about upgrading the DV. Im not sure if i should wait till spring for that or not, wont get driven to hard in the winter months.

ya i was a little skepticle as well but fuck it man its awesome, ill just cross that bridge when i get there.

Tik-Tok
12-16-2009, 03:41 PM
I got the APR 1-bar tune for my Audi 2.7L twin turbo. HP increase is nice, but the TQ is insane. Went from 250 HP, 250 ft-lbs, to 315hp, 380 ft-lbs :D . Too bad the car is such a tank, I'm sure I'd enjoy it even more.

I still haven't done the diverter valves yet, as they were waiting on new updated springs for the ones they had in stock, and it took forever, then I forgot about them. I should look back into that.

max_boost
12-16-2009, 03:43 PM
Can Concept 1 install the diverter valve too?

adidas
12-16-2009, 03:47 PM
This sale does happen more then once a year. But you gotta keep a close eye on their website as that is pretty much the only place they state it.

A DV or 2 DVs(for u TT guys) is a must after getting chipped. Your stock DV will be able to handle it for a few hundred-thousand kms and then its gonna fail and your not gonna be able to boost as you would with a proper effective DV.

If you do go with APR DV make sure you get the springs as well

Tik-Tok
12-16-2009, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by adidas

A DV or 2 DVs(for u TT guys) is a must after getting chipped. Your stock DV will be able to handle it for a few hundred-thousand kms and then its gonna fail and your not gonna be able to boost as you would with a proper effective DV.

If you do go with APR DV make sure you get the springs as well

I'll be impressed if the turbo's last that long, let along the DV's :rofl:

Yep, though it's pretty easy to do yourself (at least on my engine, it's pretty much the only thing that is up front and center)

adidas
12-16-2009, 03:49 PM

Yes.

But it takes all of 10 min to do, if that. And no major tools are required. If your trying to save 50-100 bux(depending on how much time they will charge you) then it would be worth doing at home.

adidas
12-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok

I'll be impressed if the turbo's last that long, let along the DV's :rofl:

Yep, though it's pretty easy to do yourself (at least on my engine, it's pretty much the only thing that is up front and center)

That is my mistake....meant to say from a few hundred to a few thousand kms.

LOL

max_boost
12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
OK one last question, how much do diverter valves usually sell for?

JRSC00LUDE
12-16-2009, 03:57 PM
I only know one guy that's dealt with concept 1 on his gti and he was nothing but impressed with both them and their work.

Go for it!

Tik-Tok
12-16-2009, 03:59 PM

That is my mistake....meant to say from a few hundred to a few thousand kms.

LOL

Mine have been ok so far, it's been about 6000 km's, but I still want to upgrade if I keep the car much longer.

beyond_ban
12-16-2009, 04:15 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

adidas
12-16-2009, 04:25 PM

depends on car and motor but anywhere from 100-200 each

Mine have been ok so far, it's been about 6000 km's, but I still want to upgrade if I keep the car much longer.

They can last a while for sure. It all depends as to how much you send the car into boost and under what pressure. But the stock DVs arent meant to handle excessive boost, plus the response on the aftermarket DVs is much better. Better upgrade before you gotta limp it back home from work :P

beyond_ban in regards to the engine wear. Your making the turbo run much higher then what it was originally limited at. So it will go out much sooner then lets say if you had a non-chipped engine. But MOST people really havent had major problems with their cars once they have been chipped. So you will be okay.

Tik-Tok
12-16-2009, 04:27 PM

On sale right now for $145 USD, if you don't mind waiting, Concept-1 sells for higher, as they buy them outright, and sell them for whatever exchange rate was at the time.

Originally posted by beyond_ban

Higher boost = more turbo wear, and engine wear. Just a stage 1 (ecu) won't kill it though. From what I've read, probably 20% faster turbo wear (you need an excuse to upgrade that anyways, right :D ), and 10% engine wear.

Skrilla
12-16-2009, 05:40 PM
Got everything set up to go in before Xmas.....I'll post up when its done, cant wait!! :thumbsup:

beyond_ban
12-16-2009, 06:21 PM
Higher boost = more turbo wear, and engine wear. Just a stage 1 (ecu) won't kill it though. From what I've read, probably 20% faster turbo wear (you need an excuse to upgrade that anyways, right :D ), and 10% engine wear.

Seems like a no brainer for any Audi/VW owners... Especially since you can make it invisible to the mechs when you bring it in for servicing.

Skrilla
12-17-2009, 02:57 PM
Thought I would let anyone know that has the 2.0T, Concept 1 said it is not as necessary on the 2.0T as it is on the 1.8T to change the DV right away. There shop car still has the stock one and they had it for over 2 years.

Smartiepants
12-17-2009, 03:48 PM
Thought I would let anyone know that has the 2.0T, Concept 1 said it is not as necessary on the 2.0T as it is on the 1.8T to change the DV right away. There shop car still has the stock one and they had it for over 2 years.

I've heard this also

JRSC00LUDE
12-17-2009, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by Smartiepants

I've heard this also

Whatever....fucking smartiepants. :poosie:

spike98
12-17-2009, 05:24 PM

depends on car and motor but anywhere from 100-200 each

They can last a while for sure. It all depends as to how much you send the car into boost and under what pressure. But the stock DVs arent meant to handle excessive boost, plus the response on the aftermarket DVs is much better. Better upgrade before you gotta limp it back home from work :P

beyond_ban in regards to the engine wear. Your making the turbo run much higher then what it was originally limited at. So it will go out much sooner then lets say if you had a non-chipped engine. But MOST people really havent had major problems with their cars once they have been chipped. So you will be okay.

You are just the resident VAG expert arent you. I still remember some saucy PM's from you....

I am currently Revo stage 1 with SPS+ and stock DV and my car is at 13000km. ( a little more than a few hundred or thouasand). My boost holds very nice i have ZERO issues with it. The 2009 MKV has a revised "G" diverter valve that is much more robust. Its a cheaper alternative to a forge DV. It can be had for ~$30 used on many forums.

Back on topic. I am 100% happy with my Revo. The SPS+ programmer allows you to change things like boost, fuel, and timing to adjust for further mods. It is switchable like the APR and has an immob mode as well.

It is also cheaper. That being said APR offers a wicked $599 fully loaded deal around waterfest time.

Damn near every flash will offer similar numbers and options. Go with what ever dealer you have local...

Tik-Tok
12-17-2009, 05:27 PM
Originally posted by spike98

Back on topic. I am 100% happy with my Revo. The SPS+ programmer allows you to change things like boost, fuel, and timing to adjust for further mods. It is switchable like the APR and has an immob mode as well.

Revo was my first choice, but the first time I contacted the local Revo tuner, they said Revo was having trouble with the 2.7TT tune, 2 years later when I actually decided to get a tune, they said the same thing, it didn't sound like the company were even bothering to rectify the problems.

Aleks
12-17-2009, 06:21 PM

I'd leave the stock one in there. VW upgraded the DV in 08 I think. I had 0 issues with mine over 25,000kms.

A chipped GTI is actually just about as fast as a stock STI in higher gears. That chip transforms the car completely. Some stickier and wider tires are a must though to put the power down in lower gears.

adidas
12-17-2009, 06:26 PM
Originally posted by spike98

You are just the resident VAG expert arent you. I still remember some saucy PM's from you....

Not sure if that is a good or bad thing.

danno
12-17-2009, 09:44 PM
i chipped mine in the summer, it was worth it. concept one is pretty good i have no complaints about them. the car is much faster now, i think that's all i will do to it performance wise. if i keep mine i may lower it.

grump
12-17-2009, 09:55 PM
Would the DSG able to handle the additional torque?

Tik-Tok
12-17-2009, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by grump
Would the DSG able to handle the additional torque?

Stage one or two, definitely, couldn't tell you about stage 3

max_boost
12-18-2009, 02:48 PM
Originally posted by Aleks

I'd leave the stock one in there. VW upgraded the DV in 08 I think. I had 0 issues with mine over 25,000kms.

A chipped GTI is actually just about as fast as a stock STI in higher gears. That chip transforms the car completely. Some stickier and wider tires are a must though to put the power down in lower gears.

I didn't know you had a chip in your GTI? Did you ever run it down the 1/4?

Car has stock 225/40/18, how much wider are you talking? Wider all the way around?

Interesting to know :D

civic_rida
12-18-2009, 02:55 PM
Is the apr chip available for the 2010 audi a4 2.0t?
I know they have one for the 2009

btimbit
12-21-2009, 01:21 AM
STOOOP

Go Unitronic. Not only is it a better program, but the local uni dealer is the absolute best VW mechanic in Calgary.

http://unitronic.ca/index.php
http://www.tunedub.ca/

And a note about Concept-1: They sell very good products, but DO NOT let them physically touch your car. Good dealer, but they hire some STUPID mechanics.

bigbadboss101
12-21-2009, 09:31 AM
TuneDub is a good shop. When I had my 01.5 S4 I took my car there.
Go to eurodrivers.ca. Lot of VW/Audi owners on there.

When I chipped my S4 I did change the DV to be safe. Car was definitely faster even though I did have a bit of boost leak.

Aleks
12-21-2009, 01:03 PM

I didn't know you had a chip in your GTI? Did you ever run it down the 1/4?

Car has stock 225/40/18, how much wider are you talking? Wider all the way around?

Interesting to know :D

I had the free trial APR 91 octane program. I also had Falken Azenis Summer tires on it stock width and they still spun hard in 1st and second.

I trapped 97 mph which is faster than my stage 2 WRX ever was able to run. And a stock STI is only slighty faster than a stage 2 WRX.

Stock GTIs are good for about 90-92 mph, so yeah the chip make a huge difference :burnout:

sillysod
12-21-2009, 02:23 PM
I have the APR Stage 1+ on my A4 and it's been going strong for 180,000kms.

Same turbo, no motor work and car runs smooth as day 1.

max_boost
12-21-2009, 02:25 PM
^^

Awesome Aleks.

I'll probably go with tunedub for the chip and 15k service intervals. Have heard nothing but good things about them all the time.

GTI CANADIAN
12-21-2009, 05:38 PM
I'm running a fully loaded APR ECU with lockout on a 08 GTI with an Stage 2 intake, and VF Engineering Stage 2 engine mounts.

The APR Tune is good. The Rev "G" Diverter valve is solid. I've got 55k on the odo, and no problems yet. Keep an eye on your HPFP Cam Follower, as it is a tappet style, and not roller, it will wear out eventually. It's a good idea to inspect it every 20-25k.

Other then that, if You go Stage 2+ with 3" Downpipe with high flow cat, exhaust and tune, you'll want to put in an aftermarket High Pressure Fuel Pump, as you'll get fuel cuts. Slap a on a K04 with injectors, and you'll be pushing 350 at the wheels.

I went to Vancouver last may, and noticed I get fuel cuts at sea level in fourth and fifth From 5k to 5.5k RPM. But at those RPMs, you'll be doing like 160-170km/h, so no biggy.

SuperG3
12-21-2009, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
STOOOP

Go Unitronic. Not only is it a better program, but the local uni dealer is the absolute best VW mechanic in Calgary.

http://unitronic.ca/index.php
http://www.tunedub.ca/

And a note about Concept-1: They sell very good products, but DO NOT let them physically touch your car. Good dealer, but they hire some STUPID mechanics.

I'd do some research on unitronic too. I have APR, but now wish I would have tried unitronic as well. From the reviews, it sounds like a hell of a tune.

danno
12-21-2009, 07:13 PM
i've been going to george at tunedub since i got horrible service at the dealers. plus george is cheaper and takes the car on short notice. i'd buy parts from concept1 if you can get a good deal and go to tunedub for services.

calgarydub
12-21-2009, 07:50 PM
APR is good for me.

I have a 1.8T and APR allows you to switch programs using cruise control. I am not too sure about other brand programs or for the newer gen vw's but it's really handy.

As for Concept-1, well I only went to them because they are the designated APR dealer. I won't get into the details, just make sure you are getting exactly what the sale says. I had to go back 2 times to get what APR promised, from concept-1(who didn't even know that there was a sale going on). They also talked me out of getting a 3 inch exhaust telling me I don't need it (not sure why they even offer it if they push the 2.5" on their customers)

I'm not bashing concept-1 the guys there are knowledgeable and have a fine range of products, I am just telling you to make sure you get exactly what you want. I feel that concept-1 is more catered to air-cooled vw's though.

I use to take my MK3 to concept-1 and had just okay experiences, but once I was introduced to tunedub, I won't go anywhere else for anything.

The chip is definitely worth it, and you WILL notice it. I think on a 2.0T theres even more gains than on a 1.8T. I haven't even gone back to stock at all since I got it chipped 2 years ago.

I would suggest getting a boost gauge and a DV if you're going to running high boost (it can also help you if you ever run into any problems to see if you have a boost leak). In my 1.8T on 94 octane I peak at around 20 PSI so a stiffer spring in the DV is needed. Forge is a trustworthy brand but there is usually a lot of good things to be said about others as well.

Best of luck let us know what you decide to do!
:thumbsup:

EDIT: I should make it known vwvortex.com classifieds is a great place to pick some great slightly used parts for fraction of the cost. I have done many transactions on there and even bought my DV from someone on there. Sales have always gone smoothly. Just sucks if they ship UPS (still save money in the end though)

btimbit
12-22-2009, 12:49 AM
Post above this is a good one.

A new DV is a good idea. The stock one isn't bad, but won't hold under to much more power. I only have experience with MK4 1.8T's, but I'm sure it's more or less the same story. Forge is a good way to go. If you don't get a new DV now, you'll probably need a new one in a few months. And in about a year, probably a new clutch as well.

danno
12-22-2009, 01:21 AM
if your just going stage 1 you don't need the dv. depends on how you drive it, you may have to replace a lot or nothing at all. either way calgarydub covered most things you need to know. i still keep putting off my boost gauge, i don't drive aggressive so it's not a big deal but it would be nice to know how steady the boost is.