PDA

View Full Version : Reputable Jewelers

interlude
12-16-2009, 03:45 PM
Hello,

I recently purchased a diamond online, and want to set it in a simple engagement ring.

Can any of you suggest a reputable jeweler? The diamond should arrive on friday.

thanks all!

msommers
12-16-2009, 03:50 PM
Calgary Jewelers or Brinkhause Jewelers

Supa Dexta
12-16-2009, 04:13 PM
Where did you get the diamond? (I know a lot of places won't sell without buying the setting as well)

AndyL
12-16-2009, 04:37 PM
google "dee adamas" designs - local goldsmith - pretty reasonably priced & really nice work. Will even take your old gold for recycling into the new rings.

Did my wifes engagement/wedding set - sure nice to get something different... Really nice to have a set that dosen't look like everything else you saw at every jewlery store...

interlude
12-16-2009, 05:16 PM
I ordered from a website.. prices are super cheap, awesome customer service. Friends in etown have all used them.

what i found out about diamonds is that New York is the central hub. All websites and dealers go through them, and smaller stores go through these dealers. So by ordering from this site, I saved alot of money. My aunt and uncle owns a jewelry shop in BC. The same diamond I was quoted was $5400 cdn. I bought mine for much cheaper, and once appraised, it will probably be worth double.

Now I just need to pick out a simple engagement ring to set the diamond into.

thanks for all the suggestions guys.. keep them coming.

dr_dreidel
12-16-2009, 05:36 PM
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p55/RackTheMouse/nsrammstein1/65.jpg

chkolny541
12-16-2009, 05:40 PM
http://l.yimg.com/eb/ymv/us/img/hv/photo/movie_pix/new_line_cinema/austin_powers_in_goldmember/mike_myers/goldmember.jpg

Supa Dexta
12-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Originally posted by interlude
I ordered from a website.. prices are super cheap, awesome customer service. Friends in etown have all used them.

Well PM me if you aren't going to say.. :nut:

interlude
12-17-2009, 10:27 AM
Once I receive the diamond I will post the website. If something happens to mine, i dont want it happening to other members.

But it looks like they ship it from their NYC warehouse to their Montreal warehouse, and then Canada Post overnight to Calgary. So that means no ass rape brokerage and taxes!! :clap:

MM99lude
12-17-2009, 02:47 PM
I've had amazing experiences at Troy Shoppe Jewelers. Ask for Dave he is a super nice guy and really helps you find what you are looking for! Highly recommend him!

interlude
12-29-2009, 11:24 AM
Received my diamond in the mail. The stupid mailman was to fucking too lazy to drive into the townhouse complex xmas eve to ring my doorbell, instead he leaves a note in my mailbox at the front of my complex to pick it up at the post office.

Anyways, I ordered from www.diamond.com

I am happy with the diamond, I still need to get an appraisal. It came with a GIA certificate and an appraisel from their in house appraiser. Bought it for $4850USD shipped to Calgary. Did not have to pay any duties, the diamond was shipped from the New York office to their Montreal Office and then expressed to me via Canada Post.

The good:

Diamond is really nice. Came with a ring size chart, packed really nice, came with a GIA Certificate, and an appraisal. And I have until late January to return it.

The bad:

Customer service was ok, they were always there to answer a call. However, not to sound like an asshole, but every person I spoke to was a douche (all from Montreal) When I was there in the summer I find that they were very nice, but on the phone.. they are complete dicks. I was promised the diamond on the 18th of December, and I didnt receive it till the 27th. I even paid the extra money for express over night.

They changed my order because they said it wouldnt ship until the 21st, and had a diamond in Montreal ready to be shipped. The new diamond costed $300 more but honored the original price. GREAT! but fucked in the end, because they didnt ACTUALLY ship it until Dec 22nd. I proposed to my gf with a twisty tie on our 10 year anniversary (which I had planned anyways, and its what she wanted so she can design her own ring...but decided to order the diamond to add to the WOW factor) No big deal that it came after the 18th.. but if they promised that it would be there on the 18th, it should arrive. They kept assuring me that it would arrive Mon (21st), then they said Tues (22nd) and then Weds (23rd)

So in the end, I am happy with the product, the service was ok.. but I had to factor in that I ordered it at the last minute.. and days before xmas. If the people in Montreal wasnt so rude... then I wouldnt have cared. ALSO!! I was charged twice, because the original order was paid via paypal, but they had to cancel it to make a new order. The retard didnt complete the refund, this transaction was made on the 15th of December. I called on boxing day into the customer service in Montreal, and the idiot there was like "im off in 30 minutes, and will not be able to do it for you. I will call you back on Monday. Monday rolls around and no call, so I call into paypal to report it, and the CS at paypal put me on hold to speak with the account rep for diamond.com. He canceled my original order and I was good to go.

Does anybody know of a good appraisal company in Calgary?

cycosis
12-29-2009, 11:44 AM
Well you could go to a big jewelery chain and probably pay a premium or you could try some smaller local guys. A friend of my family owns and operates Ark's Pawn Shop downtown on the same street as the C-train. He uses it as a shop as hes been a jeweler since before I was born. Go check him out, he does amazing stuff! I can contact him on your behalf if youd like.