PDA

View Full Version : DSM - What to look for?

hjr
11-23-2003, 11:40 PM
Hypothetically, if a person were to look at a Talon with the thought of purchasing it, what would 'z' person try and watch for in order to find a good vehicle. What items might happen to be suseptible to mechanical or electrical issues?

...Perhaps a 1990 Tsi

5.9 R/T
11-23-2003, 11:53 PM
www.dsm.org

a website full of links that can answer every possible question that you could have.

redbaron303
11-24-2003, 12:02 AM
Good mechanical inspection....

I hear if it's modded the tranny's could have problems or something called crank walk...!? (That was either 1g or 2g cars)....

I would take a DSM to ProDrag/Zippy's in Edmonton to have it inspected, they deal w/ a lot of these machines!

ecstasy_civic
11-24-2003, 12:05 AM
So does Diablo in Red Deer, Cam knows DSMs:)

Tuner1
11-24-2003, 12:12 AM
Sorry but it is too late at night for me to get deep into it, but I would avoid a 1990 TSi. Get a 1991 & up car. The '90s had many parts that are specific to that year, therefore making them harder to modify and much harder to find used and replacement parts for!

There usually isn't much, if any, price difference from a 1990 to a 1991 in the market so just keep looking.

Rob

EK 2.0
11-24-2003, 12:30 AM
Rob is right...the crankwalk issue is mainly a 2G issue...although in 93 when DSM switched over to the 7 bolt crank vs. the 6 bolt crank, thats is when the issue started coming into the limelight...90's are a pian as far as finding parts for them go...I own one trust me...if you like the Flip Headlights, 91's still have 'em...Make sure all the maintenance was done on it...especially the fraking timing belts...and if you find a good deal, that hasnt had one doen recently, factor the cost of getting that done, into your bargaining price...If you have questions, feel free to PM me man...and hopefully...Welcome to DSMdom...

hjr
11-24-2003, 11:12 AM
ya, its a 90. Im not really interested in 'trickin it out' (as in very little mods), but what per say is crank walk? i have never heard that term before... well did a little inter-research. i still dont quite understand it. As i take it, its just excessive wear on the bearings causing a 'loose' crank. I dont know what causes it though. 1 more think, is it common on the 1g (as im interested in) or the 2g (95+ correct?)?

Tuner1
11-24-2003, 11:44 AM
Well if you just want a decent car then a 1990 will be fine, but a 1991 & up would be better :) Just make SURE you get the car checked out before you buy it.

Do a few mods (more boost, no cat, etc) and you'll have fun for cheap!

Rob
www.tunerworks.com

5.9 R/T
11-24-2003, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by hjr
ya, its a 90. Im not really interested in 'trickin it out' (as in very little mods), but what per say is crank walk? i have never heard that term before... well did a little inter-research. i still dont quite understand it. As i take it, its just excessive wear on the bearings causing a 'loose' crank. I dont know what causes it though. 1 more think, is it common on the 1g (as im interested in) or the 2g (95+ correct?)?

Crankwalk for the 1g is almost unheard of. It is mostly a 2g issue. No one really knows what causes it, there are a lot of theories out there, most lead back to a design error by mitsu.

illeagle
11-26-2003, 06:30 PM
crank walk is when your crank is bouncing around in your block, (Bad bearings.) One way to check for crank walk is to make a left or right turn, while accelerating, if you hear any sounds, that's crankwalk. It's been awhile, I could be wrong, but i learned alot from www.dsmtuners.com. They even have instuctions on how to get to 300hp (stage 1) and another (Stage 2) to get to 400+hp

91_Integz
11-26-2003, 06:39 PM
If you are looking for a 1991 in great shape my brother has got one he want's to sell. PM me if interested