PDA

View Full Version : Logitech Harmony universal remotes

D'z Nutz
12-17-2009, 11:16 AM
I've got too many fucking remotes kicking around!!

I'm thinking about getting one of these and I've heard some pretty positive reviews about them (mostly from here). Just curious as to what models some of you are using. Any likes or dislikes about them?

I think my biggest questions is with regards to controlling my receiver. Is it pretty intuitive when you're switching devices on the receiver (DVD, satellite, video games, etc...)?

dr_jared88
12-17-2009, 11:20 AM
Best thing since sliced bread!!! It will support pretty much any device and what it doesn't support it can lean. You can also customize buttons. They are awesome!

blownz
12-17-2009, 11:31 AM
I have the 1100 and love it. I had the 1000 before.

Very very easy to set up and they work great as long as you know how your system works and set it up properly. If you set it up wrong (by answering a question about your system incorrectly) you will have problems.

My only complaint is that you can't customize the buttons on the touch screen. More expensive brands allow you to do that, but then you will pay a lot more than the $500 the 1100 will cost.

lint
12-17-2009, 11:33 AM
I've got an 880 and a 5xx. Well worth it. Either the database has it, or you can program it for just about anything. Mine don't support BT for things like the ps3, but there are adapters that can be bought. Nothing like 1 button for whatever you want to set up.

blownz
12-17-2009, 11:37 AM
^ the PS3 adapter is really easy to add on and works great.

Thaco
12-17-2009, 11:42 AM
i LOVE my 880

1 button press=
turn on receiver
turn on tv
turn on hdmi switch
turn on cable box
change receiver to correct input
change tv to correct input
change hdmi switch to correct input
adjust volume to normalize it
set to specific channel

it makes life easssssy.

Mitsu3000gt
12-17-2009, 11:48 AM
I've got an 880 and an 890 (RF) and both are pretty awesome. They can be a bit quirky at times but for the most part work very well. I don't think there is a better all-in-one solution out there right now. They are incredibly easy to set up as well with the software.

If you have stuff in a different room, or you can't point the remote at everything at once, you might consider going with an RF version (890).

Mibz
12-17-2009, 11:55 AM
I've got an 880 and love it. I'd definitely go with an RF remote though as I sometimes miss devices because the cat walks in front of the remote or something.

Super_Geo
12-17-2009, 11:59 AM
I have a Harmony 6?? (I think it's the 670), mint condition, used for maybe 1-2 weeks... it's been collecting dust for the last 3-4 months. $40 if you want it.

Recca168
12-17-2009, 12:02 PM
I have the 880. It works almost perfect. Turning everything on is fine but half the time it doesn't turn my AV receiver off.

hampstor
12-17-2009, 01:55 PM
After having a Harmony remote for the last 4 years or so, whenever I go to someone's house I get really frustrated with turning on a TV/Receiver/Sat receiver if they dont have a harmony.

The thought of using 1 remote to change the channel, another remote to change volume and another one to set inputs is making me cringe...

Next time you're over you can check the harmony remote I have out - Harmony 880 controling 1 TV, 1 Receiver, 1 Sat. Receiver, 1 Xbox 360.

Edit: my biggest gripe about it, replacement cost the day my son decides to throw it down the stairs again :rofl:

Ntense_SpecV
12-17-2009, 02:13 PM
I also have the 670. What a fantastic device. I came home from work and my wife had programed it. My gripe is that it seems to chew through batteries, but it works well for being on the low end of scale.

tha_bandit
12-17-2009, 02:31 PM
+1 for the 880, controls everything, sets up inputs which volume to control, fav channels, the only thing i dislike it that the software is a bit confusing at first, but gets really easy to navigate once u get used to it, and also my remote doesnt hold its time setting for some reason, always behind half hour over a few days, prob cuz family doesnt charge it on time :rolleyes:

ZMan2k2
12-17-2009, 03:18 PM
I have the XBox360 remote. It's been a fantastic survivor for about 5 years now. It's so easy to use, my 6-year-old can turn on the TV by herself, which turns on the TV, turns on the Receiver, turns on the Cable box, sets inputs on each and is ready to go. I'd never go back to multiple remotes.

I even converted my parents a while back for their anniversary. My dad has gotten pretty good at programming it. Which, believe me, is saying something for how easy it is to program.:rofl:

TurboMedic
12-18-2009, 10:13 PM
+1 for the 880, all of my family and gf's family has them aswell....we all love em

DayGlow
12-18-2009, 10:29 PM
Check Costco to see what they have. Usually they sell them for around $40 less than most other stores.

old&slow
12-19-2009, 08:29 AM
I've had a number of these remotes...they wear out (frequently used buttons quit) with use...current unit is the Harmony One...Very nice!

sneek
12-19-2009, 10:57 AM
I have no idea what I have, but I love it! The only thing is that the PVR buttons aren't as convenient to use as the Shaw remote, other than that, this thing is magic. Wayyyyy better than using 5 remotes!

D'z Nutz
12-19-2009, 11:44 AM
hampstor had an old 520 kicking around that he lent me to try out. I like it! It certainly eliminates a lot of clutter all these extra remotes take up, plus now I have something that replaces my failing Bell receiver remote. Setting it up was pretty easy and I like how it retains all the original functionality. Only downside is when controlling my satellite receiver, sometimes the guide and info buttons don't respond and I have to turn everything off then on a few times to get going.

So far I really like it and I think I'll keep my eyes open for an 880 that everyone seems to speak so highly of. It looks like it's a discountinued model, but Newegg still has them in stock.

Originally posted by DayGlow
Check Costco to see what they have. Usually they sell them for around $40 less than most other stores.

Yeah I was there earlier in the week. They currently have a 610 in stock (at least the Costco in my area), but the website says they're selling the 620 and the 880.

GQBalla
12-19-2009, 11:56 AM
does the 880 pro control ps3?

at newegg.ca its for 150

Pihsiak
12-19-2009, 01:26 PM
Nothing controls PS3 unless you get the adapter because they are blue tooth. Best Buy does have it on sale this week for like 60. I managed to get some third party IR usb thing. Works great

Doozer
12-20-2009, 03:02 PM
I've been wondering about these myself, but one thing that's stopped me so far is that I've heard if someone is messing with the power buttons on the devices, your remote gets screwed up because it thinks things are off when they're on, or whatever.

My 2yr old likes to push the power buttons on the stereo/dvd/etc ... can anyone say whether this is a big deal for the remote?

sneek
12-20-2009, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Doozer
I've been wondering about these myself, but one thing that's stopped me so far is that I've heard if someone is messing with the power buttons on the devices, your remote gets screwed up because it thinks things are off when they're on, or whatever.

My 2yr old likes to push the power buttons on the stereo/dvd/etc ... can anyone say whether this is a big deal for the remote?

Yeah that can happen. Just don't use your other remotes! If set up properly you won't need anything from your old remotes so just hide them.

Mibz
12-20-2009, 03:29 PM
Originally posted by sneek

Yeah that can happen. Just don't use your other remotes! If set up properly you won't need anything from your old remotes so just hide them. He means that the kid pushes the buttons on the devices themselves, and this can cause problems, but they're easily overcome. If you want to sit down and watch TV, make sure everything's off before you use the remote. If you're already watching TV and the kid pushes buttons, beat it.

spike98
12-20-2009, 04:53 PM
you can also switch to control the devices seperate and manually turn on and off different things, also you can switch inputs manually too from the remote.

hampstor
12-21-2009, 10:05 AM
My son messes w/ the power buttons buttons all the time on the devices directly. It's not a big deal really, you press the "HELP" button on the remote and it runs a wizard to re-learn the on/off state of each device or audio/video presets. Takes maybe 1 minute at most.

ie: if he turns the receiver off, I press HELP. The wizard runs and it goes:

- "Is the TV on?" (yes/no)
- I select Yes
- "Is the satellite receiver on?" (yes/no)
- I select Yes
- Is the receiver on? (yes/no)
- I select No
- the remote turns the receiver on
-"Is the receiver on now?" (yes/no)
- I select Yes

and that's about it.

However as sneek said, only use the harmony remote and don't use other remotes.

kenny
12-21-2009, 11:21 AM
I have the Harmony One, and the 1100. I actually prefer using the Harmony One remote for watching TV as its easier to manage with one hand. The 1100 is great for watching movies to get the movie going and for controlling the PS3.

@blownz: You can customize the buttons on the Harmony 1100 touch screen. I've added custom buttons to mine specific to each activity.

Best invention ever, the only downside is when your tv is not supported yet and you have to wait for the software to be updated. The wizard that tries to learn the commands from the original tv remote doesn't always work :(

blownz
12-21-2009, 03:49 PM
I assume you are talking about actually making your own icon? I should have been more specific by saying I wish they had more icons to choose from within the software.

For instance, the popcorn and dvd icon looks fine, but that is the icon I have for watching a bluray. I wish it didn't say 'dvd' on the disc.

Are you making your own icons or are you just downloading some?

GQBalla
12-21-2009, 04:08 PM
damn the harmony 1100 looks pimped out

prodigydud
12-22-2009, 11:52 AM
I'm thinking about picking up that 1100 remote.

Does it work well with the Shaw PVR box??

blownz
12-23-2009, 11:42 AM
^ yes

Canadian 2.5RS
12-23-2009, 03:35 PM
I rock the harmony One and I love it!

PS. Its on sale for $200 right now

spike98
12-23-2009, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by Canadian 2.5RS
I rock the harmony One and I love it!

PS. Its on sale for $200 right now

Where?

Canadian 2.5RS
12-23-2009, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by spike98

Where?

Okay I lied. it is on sale tomorrow.

http://boxingday.redflagdeals.com/index.php/flyers2009/image_full/162/

futureshop web only but the store will match it. That's how i got mine.

alloroc
12-23-2009, 04:52 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
He means that the kid pushes the buttons on the devices themselves, and this can cause problems, but they're easily overcome. If you want to sit down and watch TV, make sure everything's off before you use the remote. If you're already watching TV and the kid pushes buttons, beat it.

Your Philosophy is backwards.

You tell your kid you will pay him a dollar a week to change the channels etc for you and two dollars a week if he will get you a beer from the fridge and some chips from the cupboard every time you need the TV turned on.
Five years of live remote service for the same cost!

Mibz
12-23-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Your Philosophy is backwards.

You tell your kid you will pay him a dollar a week to change the channels etc for you and two dollars a week if he will get you a beer from the fridge and some chips from the cupboard every time you need the TV turned on.
Five years of live remote service for the same cost! You must be a parent. I concede.

alloroc
12-23-2009, 06:27 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
You must be a parent. I concede.

Lol ...
Then when the five years are up you tell the kid to use his savings to buy you a remote for father's day ;P

Mibz
12-23-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by alloroc

Lol ...
Then when the five years are up you tell the kid to use his savings to buy you a remote for father's day ;P Hahahaha! Fuck, you should write a book.

Stealth22
12-25-2009, 09:04 AM
I have the Harmony One...got it on sale for $230. Awesome remote, end of thread.

DayGlow
12-25-2009, 03:25 PM
fyi if you do get an 880 remote, there is an issue with the battery being loose inside the remote causing it to turn on and off. I wedged a small piece of paper in with it so it fits snug when the cover is on. Since you don't need to access the battery unless it has to be replaced ( the thing recharges itself on it's stand ) you don't have to worry about re-wedging it all the time.

Billy_Billions
12-29-2009, 03:13 PM
If anyone's go an old one lying around they don't want anymore just PM me with a price :thumbsup: