PDA

View Full Version : Do you care if a product you buy new, is a return, but works?

Tik-Tok
12-17-2009, 04:37 PM
Just bought a Asus o!play from MemEx, so I can move my xbox360 downstairs. (it is currently our media streamer for d/l tv shows, internet, music streams, etc.)

I opened it up, and it's quite obviously been opened already, the "manual" is scuffed up a little, the clear plastic has been removed, and put back on the box, etc.

My first instinct was to be annoyed that someone else had purchased this, returned it, and now I'm purchasing a possibly used product for full price.

Then I thought maybe I'm being a little anal, so long as it works right?

What do you think (not on my specific item, but for purchases in general)?

BrknFngrs
12-17-2009, 04:41 PM
I wouldn't be impressed; seems kind of strange for the company to sell it as new if it's been opened and what not.

I like the way that Best Buy does it where they disclose that its an "open box" item and give you 5% off. At least then you're made aware of it and received a small discount.

TKRIS
12-17-2009, 04:41 PM
Table saw? Don't care.
Sandwich? Do care.

JRSC00LUDE
12-17-2009, 04:42 PM
Totally depends what it is. Electronics I want new, not new to me. Someone returned some jeans that didn't fit them, well, I don't give a shit.

gretz
12-17-2009, 04:42 PM
If you bought it as a new product for the same price as a brand new one, I'd be a little pissed off. There is a reason you wanted a new one and not a kijiji special correct?

lint
12-17-2009, 04:43 PM
If I'm paying for new, I expect a new unit. I'm not paying a new price for a used unit UNLESS the item is extremely rare, in high demand, hard to find, and I absolutely must have it.

Trini
12-17-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by gretz
If you bought it as a new product for the same price as a brand new one, I'd be a little pissed off. There is a reason you wanted a new one and not a kijiji special correct?

:werd: :werd:

Thaco
12-17-2009, 04:46 PM
why wouldn't you just buy a used 360? you can get em used for like $100 or less.

and AFAIK there is a law or some sort of regulation from alberta retail council that says that if an item is open box the store must sell it as such and not attempt to sell an open box item as new.

hampstor
12-17-2009, 04:53 PM
If a product is NEW then it must be NEW and not "NEW TO YOU" regardless of whatever warranty/etc was provided. I would definately raise the issue with the store if they have a discount available for open box items.

Now I know MemEx discounts for open box items so i would go back there and ask them if it has clearly been opened. You may get reasons why/how it happened. At the end of the day as a customer, these are there problems to deal with and not yours.

If they give you a big deal about it, return it and go somewhere else. I don't mean to be a bit harsh to my friends at memx, but that's just how I am as a customer.

Alterac
12-17-2009, 05:20 PM
I agree with Hampstor.. If its open box, reduce the price.

speedog
12-17-2009, 05:28 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
and AFAIK there is a law or some sort of regulation from alberta retail council that says that if an item is open box the store must sell it as such and not attempt to sell an open box item as new. The Alberta Retail Council is an arm of the Retail Council of Canada and has no authority to create or enforce laws. They are an organization that represents retailers (who join up to this organization) and speaks on behalf of these retailers no different than the CFIB (Canadian Association of Independent Business) of any local Chamber of Commerce chapter.

What these organizations do though is lobby the various levels of government on behalf of the businesses that join up/pay to belong and this lobbying may include pushing to get new laws in place or existing laws removed/changed. What the businesses get in return is a greater voice as well as discounts on some of the products they use in the course of running their businesses.

Tik-Tok
12-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by Thaco
why wouldn't you just buy a used 360? you can get em used for like $100 or less.

<$100 ones are white, which don't match my entertainment setup, plus they won't come with a normal remote, so that'd be another $30, plus those ones are probably hacked, so I wouldn't be able to play online anyways, or I risk buying one that is about to die, and is out of warranty.

Trust me, I thought of it already, lol. (also thought of the PS3, for the streaming AND blu-ray, but just too much money right now) I'll probably end up with a ps3 eventually, and then I'll move the O!play into another room (every room in my house has two network ports, four in the living room and family room)

Kloubek
12-17-2009, 05:33 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
Table saw? Don't care.
Sandwich? Do care.

Lol. Well said.

I'm slightly more anal than this. Something along the lines of:

Table saw? Care.
Screwdriver? Don't care.

If something is probably not going to potentially degrade after a few uses, then I don't care. But something like a table saw could have been abused, etc.

At the end of the day, you purchased a new product, and you should get a new product. But on the other hand, there are MUCH more important things to worry about in this world, and stressing over little shit like this is not useful for anyone....

bspot
12-17-2009, 05:36 PM
Take it back and get a WD TV Live ;)

(yes another thread I can pimp them in!)

TKRIS
12-17-2009, 05:38 PM
But you're with me on the sandwich right?

jonnycat
12-17-2009, 05:46 PM
It's bullshit, especially if there is another real new one in the store.

It's probably the principal of it, that really pisses me off.

masoncgy
12-17-2009, 05:48 PM
You never know what someone has done with the product before you... then it makes you wonder why it was purchased and then returned...

I would take it back and ask for a brand new replacement... and if that can't be had, then an open box discount on the 'used' item.

swak
12-17-2009, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat

It's probably the principal of it, that really pisses me off.

Thats definitely it for me.

If it is being sold at same price as new, i better get an unused item (especially electronics).
If the box has been opened to see whats inside, whatever, i can live with a ripped sticker on the box.
If its been plugged in or used, F- off.

I dont think i'd bring said item back though.
Id probably bitch about it for a bit then, carry on with my life.

Kloubek
12-17-2009, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by TKRIS
But you're with me on the sandwich right?

Ham or Tuna?

Tik-Tok
12-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by swak

I dont think i'd bring said item back though.
Id probably bitch about it for a bit then, carry on with my life.

Yeah, this is where I am now I think, lol. The battery pack wasn't opened, but they could have thrown in a new pack I guess. Oh well, as long as it works when I get home.

Thaco
12-17-2009, 06:45 PM
i would at LEAST phone them and advise management of your displeasure, that way if it SHOULD have been discounted they may be able to prevent this from happening in the future.

97'Scort
12-17-2009, 07:07 PM
When I worked at London Drugs, sometimes people wanted to see a new unit out of the box, what came with it, look at the manual, etc. I got pretty good at re-packing them, but they'd obviously been opened.

All I'm saying is sometimes it's been opened by store employees but not actually used.

GQBalla
12-17-2009, 07:47 PM
if it wasn't for a discounted price i would care.