PDA

View Full Version : Stupid windows keep fogging up

powerslave
11-24-2003, 01:10 AM
What do you guys do to prevent fogging up of the windows during winter?

Here's what happens to me, I start driving, the windshield/windows start fogging up, I turn on the heater on the windshield setting (with outside air setting as well) so that clears up most of the windshield and small regions of the front windows above the door vents (where the side mirrors are). This is all fine, because I can see in through the windshield and I can see the mirrors, but EVERYTHING else is completely fogged. The rear windows, and the hatch window. It's impossible to shoulder check, or to go in reverse, because everything behind me is completely fogged up.

Anyone have any suggestions?

403Gemini
11-24-2003, 01:13 AM
let your car heat up first, or drive with windows down ;)

5.9 R/T
11-24-2003, 01:37 AM
Don't breathe.

ryder_23
11-24-2003, 01:39 AM
Put your stock tail lights back on, altezza's tend to aid in the foggin of windows :rofl:

just make sure engine is warm, and have the defrost on. and dont breath right on the window

SwitchBlade
11-24-2003, 01:49 AM
I take it you have a Integra. My bud has the same problem, best guess is that there is a broken seal.

403Gemini
11-24-2003, 01:52 AM
my teg did it a lot... pissed me off

Weapon_R
11-24-2003, 02:22 AM
My teg does it a lot too...not really sure what to do about it though.

James
11-24-2003, 02:56 AM
hatchbacks are horrible for this, just let it warm up longer :dunno:

Bonka
11-24-2003, 04:10 AM
Something is not sealed properly causing moisture to get in. I think pretty much all cars fog up, just some are worse than others.

The fastest way, and probably the least economical is to use your A/C if you have it. It'll remove the moisture from the inside of your car.

If you don't have A/C or prefer not to use it, instead of cranking up the heat, adjust it to have your interior on the cool side, maybe to around the temperature of your breath :poosie: I have climate control in my car so I adjust it to 19c and in a few minutes, the fog is gone. But I find that running cool air inside the car works a lot better than running heat. You could also crack a window open.

If you don't want to do that, make sure the inside of your windows are clean. Get some sort of window cleaner and clean thoroughly and hard. Applying shaving cream to the windows also helps prevent fog but only lasts about a month.

An open box of baking soda also works pretty good. It's suppose to remove moisture.

That's about all I can think of..

itsnotaDUB
11-24-2003, 05:46 AM
sell it. buy another car with good defrost for the winter.:thumbsup:

RiceCake
11-24-2003, 07:24 AM
rain x anti fog :)

fast95pony
11-24-2003, 08:36 AM
Is this a Honda trait ?? I've noticed a lot of Honda's driving around with fogged up/frosted windows .

P.S. this isn't a Honda hater thing ,just a straight question.

stockEK
11-24-2003, 08:43 AM
Make sure your air control is not set to 're-circ' if you are just recirculating the interior air, it will fog up.

MK3HKS
11-24-2003, 08:59 AM
clean your windows with shaving cream:rofl:

egmike
11-24-2003, 09:20 AM
my 92 hatch never fogs up... but I always warm it up b4 driving though

nickyh
11-24-2003, 10:16 AM
When mine fogs up inside i turn on the a/c with the heat still on. It helps to dry out the air on the inside.

surferbaby13
11-24-2003, 03:04 PM
a/c sucks the gas hardcore. And when you are trying to use less money as possible its hard having to result to a/c. In my honda I have a/c or the one that circulates within the interior. So there isn't much of a choice. i noticed that if you have a sunroof of somesort try and keep it closed. like the little thing that slides closing the interior part of it.
But my car sucks at that. I was told from a guy at work its just cause the engine in a honda is alot smaller than most cars so it doesn't have the smae power to defog all windows. Which sucks when it is really cold outside. I doubt its the seal since most hondas no matter year have that same problem.

benyl
11-24-2003, 03:29 PM
isn't a heater just like a small radiator? I bet that you have a leak in your heater core. You are basically blowing the moisture in by using your heater. Are you losing any coolant? Even a little bit?

I could be wrong, but it might be worth getting it checked out.

Even when it is -35, my rear and side windows don't fog up.

surferbaby13
11-24-2003, 04:17 PM
good to know...thankyou

sputnik
11-24-2003, 04:22 PM
A/C doesnt really affect your gas mileage considering the compressor spins regardless.

If anything it just decreases your HP at the top end.

Akagi Redsuns
11-24-2003, 05:18 PM
Originally posted by sputnik
A/C doesnt really affect your gas mileage considering the compressor spins regardless.

If anything it just decreases your HP at the top end.

Not true, the compressor DOES NOT spin when the A/C is off. There is a clutch that disconnects the compressor when the A/C is off and just spins the A/C pulley....so yes having it on does have an affect on mileage.

Some cars when you put it in windshield defrost mode turns on A/C automatically without lighting up the "A/C" light, so maybe that's why you though the compressor ran all the time?

nosegrindR
11-24-2003, 06:43 PM
Originally posted by 5.9 R/T
Don't breathe.

:rofl:

A_3
11-24-2003, 06:49 PM
Originally posted by ryder_23
Put your stock tail lights back on, altezza's tend to aid in the foggin of windows :rofl:

just make sure engine is warm, and have the defrost on. and dont breath right on the window

yeah lol you might wanna watch those altezza's they've been known to do that... as long as your car is warm you should be cool:thumbsup:

noyzz_boyzz
11-28-2003, 09:54 PM
my Integra does the same shit...........

powerslave
11-29-2003, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by A_3

yeah lol you might wanna watch those altezza's they've been known to do that... as long as your car is warm you should be cool:thumbsup:

Well, now that you guys mention this, I remember when I bought the altezzas, there WAS a warning on the box:
"Warning! Warning! May cause windows to fog up!" :D

ACS-e36
11-29-2003, 04:55 PM
its a common problem with the hondas...
make sure its not on the circulate setting and have the windshield vents on

frostyda9
11-29-2003, 05:08 PM
It's an inherent G2 problem. Make sure your climate control is set to vent and not circulate. I haven't tried fog-x yet but it looks like it could help.

edit nm...ACS-e36 beat me to it