PDA

View Full Version : Cordless Impact Wrench

Mr_ET
12-17-2009, 11:00 PM
Hey guys,

I've been looking for a decent cordless impact for a while as I spend a lot of time changing wheels at the track by hand. I want something that will be decently strong and have enough power to remove lugs and other misc bolts.

I have been looking at the Mastercraft Maximum 14.4V and 18V 3K0 niCad models and am wondering if you guys would recommend them and have any experience with them?

They are both on special right now at 139 and 159 so I think one might be worth it.

Any feedback would be appreciated.

89s1
12-17-2009, 11:04 PM
18V or bust.

We had an 18V cordless impact at our shop. Can't expect air power from a cordless, but it did the trick.

2EFNFAST
12-17-2009, 11:07 PM
I don't see how a cordless impact wrench can even exist - unless it had some large ass battery I just can't see how it would generate any power.

I have a corded (Electric) cheapo canadian tire impact gun for tire removal - i break the torque with the breaker bar, then spin them off with it.

My electric impact gun does like 70ft-lbs max I think.

Mr_ET
12-17-2009, 11:08 PM
it's pretty much for the track and a few little things when I do swap or other car work.

I have an air powered one that is much stronger.

It's really mostly for lug nuts :burnout:

TomcoPDR
12-17-2009, 11:13 PM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
I don't see how a cordless impact wrench can even exist - unless it had some large ass battery I just can't see how it would generate any power.

I have a corded (Electric) cheapo canadian tire impact gun for tire removal - i break the torque with the breaker bar, then spin them off with it.

Pervert is right here. I've got the old school 1st gen. Canadian Tire 14v impact for work, but that's for light duty stuff like hood bolts, etc...

Other than that, you're using the impact for building home reno projects (IMO)

On automotive apps, again, like above, use breaker bar to loosen, then use impact for speed removal/install-to-snug

Answer: Go with 18v

A2VR6
12-18-2009, 12:56 AM
I've used both personally and i've found neither to be sufficient to loosen lug nuts without a breaker bar.

The ones that i've found that will loosen lug nuts from personal experience are:

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/tool_detail.asp?productID=14962

and

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=all&item_ID=80476&group_ID=19913&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

Theres probably alot more cordless impacts out there that will do the job but thats just what i've used personally.

2EFNFAST
12-18-2009, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Pervert is right here.

Hey hey hey now. Lusting after hot girls at the age of 27 is not pervert-ish :p

eb0i
12-18-2009, 01:36 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST

Originally posted by TomcoPDR

Pervert is right here. I've got the old school 1st gen. Canadian Tire 14v impact for work, but that's for light duty stuff like hood bolts, etc...

Other than that, you're using the impact for building home reno projects (IMO)

On automotive apps, again, like above, use breaker bar to loosen, then use impact for speed removal/install-to-snug

Answer: Go with 18v

:werd:

I have the old 14.4V and it is pretty weak. I use it after I break the torque on the lug nuts for quick removal of the nuts. I also use it to put the nuts back on (after i have spun them on by hand first so they don't mess up the threading).
Thank goodness it was on sale.

Redlyne_mr2
12-18-2009, 02:03 AM
My corded electric impact doesnt do shit. It's more effort for me to pull out the extension cord, unpack the impact, find the appropriate socket and try and fit it into a tight spot. Breaker bar then a ratchet and it's off.

Mr_ET
12-18-2009, 07:19 AM
So basically spend my money making the car faster and keep doing it the manual way eh? :P

Hounddog
12-18-2009, 07:41 AM
Originally posted by Mr_ET
So basically spend my money making the car faster and keep doing it the manual way eh? :P

This is meant for automotive work - It works. :)

http://buy1.snapon.com/catalog/item.asp?P65=yes&tool=all&item_ID=80476&group_ID=19913&store=snapon-store&dir=catalog

clem24
12-18-2009, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by A2VR6
I've used both personally and i've found neither to be sufficient to loosen lug nuts without a breaker bar.

If you tighter your wheels at about 75ft/lbs, then you're likely overtightening. I have the CT one. If the wheels were done properly (i.e. by myself) then the CT impact could undo them without issues (that is, before the batteries were shot). Otherwise, if they were not done properly (i.e. overtightened by a shop), then the impact had no chance. Nowadays, I do as stated above - breaker bar to loosen, and impact to loosen and tighten. Then lower car and torque wrench for final adjustment. The batteries in my impact are so weak now that they don't even have to chance to tighten the wheels with a 75 ft/lb limiter extension. Good for stuff around the house though like driving bit bolts through studs.

gofastmerc
12-18-2009, 12:55 PM
I have the CT 14.4v impact, I love it. No, it doesn't replace the air powered one, but it works for piratically everything else. I torque my wheels, and it has no problem taking off the nuts. The other best thing about is the 5 year warranty, and every time you change it out, you get other 5 years. You'll never have to buy another one. Just get it on sale, I think they are on right now.

Mr_ET
12-18-2009, 12:59 PM
I just relooked at the specs and the torque specs are quite low for both the 14.4 and 18V model at 87 and 108 :(

They also have a fairly cheap Goodyear one that is 24V and has 200 ft lbs of torque so I may pick that up instead. The warranty isn't nearly as good but at least it will work..

Sugarphreak
12-18-2009, 03:44 PM

syritis
12-18-2009, 03:56 PM
I rented a corded electric impact gun long time ago, it had something stupid like 1200ft/lbs. so when i started looking into cordless i was surprised how little power they had.

I use a dewalt drill, i cut off a 1/2" extension and it works great for just spinning the nuts on and off. id guess it has 30-40ft/lb

if you don't want to have to use a breaker bar to loosen then u'll have to cough up the money for someone expensive. i'd still suggest to always tighten you nuts with a calibrated torque wrench though.

SCHIDER23
12-18-2009, 06:42 PM
Have you looked at the Makita’s 18V Cordless Impact Driver, I have both the CT 18V and this one and I like my Makita better, since it has better battery life than the CT and to me it feels like it has more torque, hell I used it to take apart my suspension and wheel changing as well, but like others have said nothing beats an air impact gun..:thumbsup:

A2VR6
12-19-2009, 12:43 AM
Originally posted by clem24

If you tighter your wheels at about 75ft/lbs, then you're likely overtightening. I have the CT one. If the wheels were done properly (i.e. by myself) then the CT impact could undo them without issues (that is, before the batteries were shot). Otherwise, if they were not done properly (i.e. overtightened by a shop), then the impact had no chance. Nowadays, I do as stated above - breaker bar to loosen, and impact to loosen and tighten. Then lower car and torque wrench for final adjustment. The batteries in my impact are so weak now that they don't even have to chance to tighten the wheels with a 75 ft/lb limiter extension. Good for stuff around the house though like driving bit bolts through studs.

I always put my lugs at 80 ft/lbs and for some reason i none of the cordless ones rated at 100 ft/lbs could ever break them... Maybe my torque wrench is super super off but yea, i made sure the batteries were fully charged and everything but they couldnt take em off.

Tuner1
12-19-2009, 12:36 PM
SNAP ON! It gets used many, many times each day in our shop and it is capable of removing 98% of the wheel nuts and bolts that we work with :thumbsup:

Often you really do get what you pay for ;)

Rob

n1zm0
12-19-2009, 01:10 PM
Originally posted by Tuner1
SNAP ON! It gets used many, many times each day in our shop and it is capable of removing 98% of the wheel nuts and bolts that we work with :thumbsup:

this, the only time when it will probably not work are those select few everyday joes who put their own wheels on whether it be the spare tire/winter-summer sets and overtighten the nuts/bolts to the extreme.

the snap on ones are worth the $, in reliability/durability down the road and efficiency. as said you pay for the quality with snap-on products, i've seen them fall off hoist arms at full height extension and ran over slightly by the car and they still do the job after with no problems.

and the 75ft-lbs being too much, that may be true for your vehicle but it is stated in the FSM for certain makes, i.e: ALOT of hondas @ 80ft-lbs

R154
12-19-2009, 03:48 PM
The cordless maximum that I have is garbage. Just brutal. I dont believe it to be worth the box it came in let alone the money I paid for it.

I tried to use it for your exact purpose, and ended up getting so frustrated that I went back to using a breaker bar and a wrench.

At first they seem like a good idea, but they simply dont have the power to adequately serve its purpose. I know that it isnt meant to replace an air gun but they are just useless.

I tested how tight they got my lugs, and it was pitiful. I removed my lugs with 30FT/lb with a tension style torque wrench (old school dial indicator) before it rolled. So I estimate that the cordless could only tighten it to 32ish ft/lbs.

Dont bother man, more hassle then its worth.

FiveFreshFish
12-20-2009, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by A2VR6

I always put my lugs at 80 ft/lbs and for some reason i none of the cordless ones rated at 100 ft/lbs could ever break them... Maybe my torque wrench is super super off but yea, i made sure the batteries were fully charged and everything but they couldnt take em off.
The required torque to remove lugs is usually higher than installation torque especially after they've been on the car for several months.

A2VR6
12-20-2009, 03:00 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

The required torque to remove lugs is usually higher than installation torque especially after they've been on the car for several months.

Yep, that makes sense... I just use a corded electric mastercraft impact gun and it works awesome... cheap too! :thumbsup: