PDA

View Full Version : GS450h in winter?

pinoyhero
12-18-2009, 04:51 PM
All,

I just got out of my IS350 because even with winters it was absolutely the worst thing I've ever driven in the winter. My old IS300 was just as bad curiosly. Now before you say ... ahh this guy's a bitch, can't handle some snow, I have driven some pretty dumb summer cars with winters and have been fine including a s2000 and G35 coupe.

My question now is if anyone thinks the same or if I'm just off thinking the IS350 was so bad and if a GS450h (a different car but still a Lexus) would be better in the winter with winters. For the record I've got an RX350 on all seasons and it was perfect even over the last month with the serious bad roads we had.

Any thoughts? Also, why were the IS cars so bad?

Thanks in advance.

chkolny541
12-18-2009, 04:54 PM
this guy's a bitch, can't handle some snow,

max_boost
12-18-2009, 04:59 PM
You have got to be joking man?

There's NOTHING wrong with the car.

You said it sucked with winters? What winters did you put on? If you went and put on some V-rated high performance winters, yeah they aren't going to be as good but I still wouldn't say the car is the worse winter car. LOL!

It's all in the tires man. Go buy some studded winters or get some Nokians.

/thread

:D

pinoyhero
12-18-2009, 05:04 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
this guy's a bitch, can't handle some snow,

LOL, fair comment.

pinoyhero
12-18-2009, 05:06 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
You have got to be joking man?

There's NOTHING wrong with the car.

You said it sucked with winters? What winters did you put on? If you went and put on some V-rated high performance winters, yeah they aren't going to be as good but I still wouldn't say the car is the worse winter car. LOL!

It's all in the tires man. Go buy some studded winters or get some Nokians.

/thread

:D

Yes I'm serious I had new bridgestones on that baby and it was a disaster. Going stright it was pulling all over and with the traction control there were places that were slightly icy and the car would give no power at all. Even after turning off the traction control it still spun like a bitch.

max_boost
12-18-2009, 05:25 PM
LOL!

Bridgestone? Big difference between LM25 (V), LM60 (H) and WS60 (R).

Anyway, it's the tires. My SLK sucks because I swear it's because of the Hankook Ice Bears (V), yet there's rage2 who's blasting around town just fine it with it so unlike you, I will blame my skills first before I blame my car.

Maximum traction for value/snow/ice. Hankook W409 ipike or Kumho KW19's or General Altimax Arctics and stud them. Or since you can afford a brand GS450H, get the mother of all tires, Nokian Hakka 5's and stud those. Then come back and tell me if you are having problems handling snow.

Does your IS have problems in weather like today? Or are you referring to the ice storm we had a couple weeks back? The first couple weeks of winter will always be brutal because the City crews haven't done their thing on the roads yet. But now with the amount of gravel and shit on the roads, you should have no problems getting around man. :nut: :dunno:

TorqueDog
12-18-2009, 06:03 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541
this guy's a bitch, he drives Toyota products, Fixed! :D

Redlyne_mr2
12-18-2009, 06:07 PM
The maturity level is high in this thread. Anyways back on topic your looking at a GS450H? My favourite car that Lexus makes, I'm not sure why you had issues with your IS. I've driving all types of Lexus in the snow with winters and never any issues... on Blizzaks of course. Now on the 450H you have the hybrid battery in the back so that's a lot of extra weight keeping you planted. If anything it's going to be much better than the IS in the snow.

benyl
12-18-2009, 06:22 PM
Honestly, if you think that the ISXXX is bad, maybe RWD in winter is not for you.

I run LM60s with traction control totally disabled. My car is planted. I can do the same with the 335 on KW19s that have 5 season on them and I never feel like the car is going to lose it.

I think that it could just be "you." My wife doesn't like it when either of our cars slips even the little bit sideways even when going slow or taking off from a light. I just correct and continue on.

Finite control of your right foot is very important. With RWD, you need to know when to let off, but more importantly maintain a throttle position as a high torque car gets very squirrely when engine braking.

Best thing to do is go to a parking lot and screw around. Learn car control. If you can find a sloped parking lot, that is even better to learn how to handle driving across it (to simulate roads with a high center section).

rage2
12-18-2009, 06:30 PM
Anyway, it's the tires. My SLK sucks because I swear it's because of the Hankook Ice Bears (V), yet there's rage2 who's blasting around town just fine it with it
haha the Ice Bears aren't that great on snow or ice compared to some other winter tires I've driven. Just because I can get around doesn't mean it's an easy drive haha.

The icebears are wicked on cold and dry roads tho!

pinoyhero
12-18-2009, 07:16 PM
How's the perf on a gsh vs my old is3

Aleks
12-18-2009, 08:06 PM
A friend of mine had an IS300 on winter tires and he said it was horrible in snow so you're not the only one. What were your snow tire dimensions?

TYMSMNY
12-18-2009, 09:00 PM
You need to put weight in the trunk. I'm running with LM25s and its fine. Either way, you've sold it so... back to the GS450 question. I've always wondered the same thing as I was speaking to Redlyne about it too. The extra weight should definitely help but I would imagine you would still need to put winters on.

Tons of people are driving with performance RWD cars and have had no troubles...

pinoyhero
12-19-2009, 06:16 AM
LOL!

Bridgestone? Big difference between LM25 (V), LM60 (H) and WS60 (R).

Anyway, it's the tires. My SLK sucks because I swear it's because of the Hankook Ice Bears (V), yet there's rage2 who's blasting around town just fine it with it so unlike you, I will blame my skills first before I blame my car.

Maximum traction for value/snow/ice. Hankook W409 ipike or Kumho KW19's or General Altimax Arctics and stud them. Or since you can afford a brand GS450H, get the mother of all tires, Nokian Hakka 5's and stud those. Then come back and tell me if you are having problems handling snow.

Does your IS have problems in weather like today? Or are you referring to the ice storm we had a couple weeks back? The first couple weeks of winter will always be brutal because the City crews haven't done their thing on the roads yet. But now with the amount of gravel and shit on the roads, you should have no problems getting around man. :nut: :dunno:

Perhaps it was the tires I can't recall which Bridgestones I had. On the IS300 and my s2000 I had dunlop graspics. WIcked on the S2 crap on the IS300.

Prob was on the bad days not the ones like the past few, but the probs were bad enough that I couldn't drive the car, where as my rx350 on all seasons was bombing around no prob.

Redlyne_mr2
12-19-2009, 10:17 AM
Performance on the GSH is amazing, hybrid technology so no delays on acceleration. Gets up to speed very quickly and smoothly and doesnt have the typical mushy brakes associated with lower end hybrids. A GSH won it's class in last years Targe Newfoundland.

Neil4Speed
12-19-2009, 10:43 AM
I have to agree with Max_boost, with winters you really shouldn't have any problems. I have some new old stock Arctic Alpins which arn't exactly great winter tires and get around just fine. I am sure if I had a modern set of winters like Graspics/Blizzaks I would be just fine. Honestly, the only time I had problems is when I forget to activate the "snow" mode, which curbs back the throttle by what seems like massive amounts

Not to insult your driving skills, but my prediction is that if your having problems with the IS350 with good tires, you might have the same problem with the GS. Possibly consider a luxury FWD/AWD car? Acura TL-S SH-AWD??

TYMSMNY
12-19-2009, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Performance on the GSH is amazing, hybrid technology so no delays on acceleration. Gets up to speed very quickly and smoothly and doesnt have the typical mushy brakes associated with lower end hybrids. A GSH won it's class in last years Targe Newfoundland.

sold! when can I pick one up? :D

Redlyne_mr2
12-19-2009, 12:15 PM
Originally posted by TYMSMNY

sold! when can I pick one up? :D
We just blew out a bunch of 09 GS450's recently we have 2 left that were getting rid of at big discounts however none in white or black as you generally prefer.

saiyajin
12-19-2009, 12:16 PM
^^ whats left ryan

Redlyne_mr2
12-19-2009, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by saiyajin
^^ whats left ryan
A brand new silver with black interior and a green color with black interior that was a demo.

C4S
12-19-2009, 05:23 PM
Sandbag? :dunno:

ipeefreely
12-19-2009, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by C4S
Sandbag? :dunno:

Easy on the gas... start off in second? :dunno:

pinoyhero
12-22-2009, 06:41 AM
Thanks for all the feedback, ended up with a new ride RWD on Nokians, and it was perfect last night.

Hakkola
12-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Nokians are the shit. What car did you get?

pinoyhero
12-22-2009, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by Hakkola
Nokians are the shit. What car did you get?

They seriously are, drive into work was so good, I think due in part to the car.

Got an '08 335i sedan, white on black with silver trim. Prem/Sport/Sound packs.

Neil4Speed
12-22-2009, 08:30 AM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

Sweet pickup, hope you enjoy the car!

max_boost
12-23-2009, 02:57 PM
Originally posted by pinoyhero

They seriously are, drive into work was so good, I think due in part to the car.

Nice Nice. Well done sir.

pinoyhero
12-23-2009, 03:00 PM
Yes, very happy so far, car is very impressive.

benyl
12-23-2009, 03:17 PM
You should chip, it is even more impressive.

pinoyhero
12-23-2009, 03:25 PM
Ill give it some thought but wheels and a drop are first, thinking vmr, iconz or some other from an affordable vendor like eas or modbargains, loving some of the new custom finishes they do on vmr wheels.

benyl
12-23-2009, 03:33 PM
If you are driving it in the winter, I would suggest not dropping it if you have the sport package.

I didn't drop mine and I snow plow my neighborhood. The car is pretty low from the factory. It is lower than my lowered M3 was.

pinoyhero
12-23-2009, 03:34 PM
^still look ok with 19s though?

max_boost
12-23-2009, 04:01 PM
Yeah don't lower man. It'll look fine with 19's. You have sport suspension, not regular XI suspension haha

C4S
12-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Don't lower a 335i with sport suspension in Calgary!!!

blownz
12-30-2009, 11:13 AM
Actually if you want a bit lower I would get the Koni FSD struts and Eibach Pro kit combo that tons of places sell. It will only lower your car about half an inch so the difference in the winter won't be an issue most of the time. And according to a lot of people including a friend of mine in Calgary with a 335, the ride is much better than with the stock suspension.

My buddy got his after prefering the way my 325 looked/drove compared to his 335 with the sport suspension and he said he doesn't regret it at all.

2000TL
12-30-2009, 12:46 PM
Nothing wrong with lowering it a bit. Mine is pretty low and I have been through a few winters driving this low on KWV2's.

pinoyhero
01-01-2010, 08:47 AM
Hmm, now you've got me all thinking. Maybe I go with wheels first, I dont really want a drop just dont want to ride on 19s and look like an SUV