PDA

View Full Version : Site/threads being marked as read as soon as I visit

GoChris
12-18-2009, 07:26 PM
So, I go to beyond.ca, click on forums, all forums show in green to indicate new posts. I then click on any sub forum, and then all of a sudden the posts are all marked as read. If I then click on the main forums again, no forum is green (maybe 1 or 2 if there was a post made in the few seconds this takes place).

It's very annoying, is there a fix?

rage2
12-18-2009, 07:45 PM
This "problem" used to happen to me sporadically, could never nail down what the problem was. Erasing my cookies would fix it for a while then it would mysteriously come back very randomly.

Then I upgraded to IE8, haven't seen it since.

CivicDXR
12-18-2009, 07:48 PM
i only had that problem frequently when I was using firefox on my Mac. Never happened when using safari, and hasn't happened yet with chrome.

GoChris
12-18-2009, 08:26 PM
I'm on firefox, I will delete all cookies and try it. I'll start switching over to chrome now that they finally have plugins.

GoChris
12-18-2009, 11:59 PM
Blah, deleting cookies last all of a couple hours, which really means it did nothing at all as sometimes it would work that long anyway. I'll try another browser, odd problem however.

GoChris
12-19-2009, 09:15 PM
switched to chrome. problem still exists. pc load letter

JAYMEZ
12-19-2009, 11:39 PM
Always happens to me on Chrome! I gave up lol

FiveFreshFish
12-20-2009, 12:57 PM
I'm using Firefox 3.5.6 on Windows 7. No problems here.

GoChris
12-20-2009, 02:26 PM
Wow, chrome is even worse, it does it each and every time.

Doozer
12-20-2009, 02:42 PM
I use Firefox with no problems, but I navigate the site differently... I just click on "view new posts since last visit", and scroll through the "new" pages, opening any potentially interesting threads in a new tab.

Sure, there can get to be a lot of tabs, but then I'll read a few that I know will probably be quick, close them, and continue on.

The nice thing is that most browsers now will remember which tabs you had open if your browser crashes or something, so you don't have to worry about losing your place.

turbotrip
12-24-2009, 08:22 PM
it happens to me on firefox almost every time too; whenever i click the show new posts since last visit it always says no new posts; but if i click show new posts in 24hrs it shows the new ones and old ones