PDA

View Full Version : Mayor of Edmonton wants a road course.

95EagleAWD
12-18-2009, 08:13 PM
http://www.edmontonsun.com/news/edmonton/2009/12/18/12198546-sun.html

Probably dreaming, but still kick ass!

Tik-Tok
12-18-2009, 08:15 PM
Sweet, Edmonton will get a world class track, and Calgary will have nothing. On the plus side, everytime I see the candy-cane stretching across the Elbow, I'll thank our fine city council.

chkolny541
12-18-2009, 08:23 PM
^^its a finger trap

ExtraSlow
12-18-2009, 09:06 PM
The governments aren't gong to pay for this. This course isn't going to get built.

Cooked Rice
12-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Whether it happens or not. At least Edmonton has it right, and has a keen eye for motor sport. Calgary on the other hand is embarrassing when it comes to the topic.

Redlyne_mr2
12-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Edmonton has been on the ball over the last few years. Our city council could learn a thing or 2 from them.

Tik-Tok
12-19-2009, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2
Edmonton has been on the ball over the last few years. Our city council could learn a thing or 2 from them.

It's just too bad they already voted to turn YXD into residential area. That would have been the perfect spot to transform into a full time track.

n1zm0
12-19-2009, 01:21 PM
Originally posted by Tik-Tok
It's just too bad they already voted to turn YXD into residential area. That would have been the perfect spot to transform into a full time track.

that's been on-going for almost 20-30 years now lol and yet it's still staying around just for the indy in 2010.. nothing learnt at all by the city planners.

but that would be ideal, turn it into something like the top gear test track, i'd definitely do the drive up every few weekends for whatever events were going on in the summers.

bmw860
12-19-2009, 01:24 PM
Yeah we wish... With Bron and Druh we cant do shxt about racing because it's bad...

97'Scort
12-19-2009, 01:48 PM
While it may be the perfect spot from a design and engineering standpoint, the whole reason the airport is closing isn't the fact that it's not used, it's because people are complaining about planes over the city. Turning it into a race track would never fly with the uptight neighbourhood groups because the noise is still there.

They'll get way more support if they build it outside the city. And if they can't find somebody within the city limits to build it, I can think of a couple other municipalities that would probably be able to find land to put it on.

89s1
12-19-2009, 02:35 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

While it may be the perfect spot from a design and engineering standpoint, the whole reason the airport is closing isn't the fact that it's not used, it's because people are complaining about planes over the city. Turning it into a race track would never fly with the uptight neighbourhood groups because the noise is still there.

They'll get way more support if they build it outside the city. And if they can't find somebody within the city limits to build it, I can think of a couple other municipalities that would probably be able to find land to put it on.

This.

sesuna
01-22-2010, 02:47 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Rstar
01-22-2010, 09:19 AM
There is a reason a lot of airports have YYC as "Banff/Calgary." There is nothing in Calgary to attract tourists and visitors except Stampede. Finger trap bridge wont help unfortunately.

88jbody
02-09-2010, 10:46 PM
we need a strip like Vegas and our own sema

Jay911
02-10-2010, 07:41 PM
IMO, a road course is a great idea. I'm a fan of tracks like Mosport and Bathurst Mount Panorama. I'm certain people in Alberta would completely go bananas if someone tried to create what I'd most like to see - a track on the caliber of Mt Panorama in the foothills.

bretturbo
04-10-2010, 04:51 PM
That would be pretty awesome, it would never happen at the airport though, but there are rumors from a couple engineering firms of castrol raceway/bud park just south of the city getting converted into a permanent race tack (if you look on google maps you can actually see the layout is complete). But at the same time I'm pretty sure Mandel has his head in the clouds, he's planning to spend money the city will never see on stuff like this (downtown coliseum, world fair, now race track among many others) so who knows if it will fly at all.

bspot
04-10-2010, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by 97'Scort

The land value is way too high there for a track. It would never be able to cover costs.

bspot
04-10-2010, 05:54 PM
Sweet, Edmonton will get a world class track, and Calgary will have nothing. On the plus side, everytime I see the candy-cane stretching across the Elbow, I'll thank our fine city council.

Yup. Pedestrian bridges and race tracks come out of the same budget :rolleyes:

It's normal for race tracks to be publicly funded :rolleyes:

Tik-Tok
04-10-2010, 07:56 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Yup. Pedestrian bridges and race tracks come out of the same budget :rolleyes:

It's normal for race tracks to be publicly funded :rolleyes:

You're right, but at the same time, most cities aren't desperately trying to kick out the only track they have.

bspot
04-11-2010, 02:48 AM
^Don't get me wrong I am a casual user of Race City and I think it's awesome to have a track for many reasons. I just hate it when people don't like something and they tout out the pedestrian bridge every freaking time. It gets old.

kvanderlaag
04-11-2010, 10:45 AM
Even if it didn't come out of the same budget, both circumstances (wasting money building that abortion, and forcing Race City out) came as a result of the decisions of City Council.

I think the comparison stands.

MGCM
04-20-2010, 12:55 AM
For those who have never heard, there is a proposed European Road Course to be built about 30mins East of Calgary. Not sure when it will happen and if it will happen but with race city being closed in the coming years I'd bet it will come together over the next 2-5 years.

http://badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/index.php

speedog
04-20-2010, 06:45 AM
30 minutes east of Calgary now - shit, it's just so magical how that Badlands track just keeps getting closer and closer to Calgary.

j.garner
04-20-2010, 07:50 AM
Originally posted by MGCM
For those who have never heard, there is a proposed European Road Course to be built about 30mins East of Calgary. Not sure when it will happen and if it will happen but with race city being closed in the coming years I'd bet it will come together over the next 2-5 years.

http://badlandsmotorsportsresort.com/index.php

:werd: you would have to be driving pretty fast to get there in 30 mins.

speedog
04-20-2010, 09:56 AM
From a post I made in another thread about the Badlands track...

Rosebud is 112km from downtown Calgary and Badlands Motorsports Resort is about 8km the other side of Rosebud - Google Maps link (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=51.319548,+-112.872934+%28Badlands+Motorsports+Resort%29&sll=51.319548,-112.872934&sspn=0.414544,0.883026&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=10) to site.

So at around 120km from downtown Calgary, I suspect that 30 minutes is going to a bit of a stretch for most people.

BigMass
04-20-2010, 11:08 AM
Badlands is vaporware

HondaKid
04-20-2010, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by Cooked Rice
Whether it happens or not. At least Edmonton has it right, and has a keen eye for motor sport. Calgary on the other hand is embarrassing when it comes to the topic.

Add to it the fact the Saddledome is so 80's and as a result Calgary loses the big acts, gotta head to Edmonton to see anything big. Oh and I almost forgot the outdoor stadiums, again Edmonton wins. So Calgary has a fancy bridge and two weeks of cowboyz; both cities have NHL teams "rebuilding".

No quality racetrack (even wanted by politicos), no first class indoor or outdoor stadium, joke of a convention centre, no Stanley Cup for the foreseeable future and Calgary is "World Class".... whatever that means to some in Calgary. Plenty of good here, but really backward development and facilities.