PDA

View Full Version : can anyone here do professional remote start install?

black13
12-18-2009, 09:17 PM
I'm looking for someone with some good experience to do a remote start/alarm install for me. I keep contacting people but they keep falling through.

Shops want $250+ for a manual car, I'm willing to pay $150.
It's a compustar combo. Let me know.

bmeier
12-19-2009, 01:47 AM
what kind of car?

2EFNFAST
12-19-2009, 01:52 AM
remote start plus a manual seems like a bad baaaad idea

chkolny541
12-19-2009, 02:48 AM
Originally posted by black13
I'm looking for someone with some good experience to do a remote start/alarm install for me. I keep contacting people but they keep falling through.

Shops want $250+ for a manual car, I'm willing to pay $150.
It's a compustar combo. Let me know.

i can gaurentee that nobody with any sort of experience is going to install a remote starter and alarm for 150$, your fucking out to lunch. itll be like min 300$,i would say closer to 350 or 400 for a reputable shop to do it, and your offering less than half of that. :clap: :facepalm:

Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
remote start plus a manual seems like a bad baaaad idea

wtf? why do you say that?

slinkie
12-19-2009, 03:33 AM
^uh...can you park in gear? won't it drive away if you accidentally start it?

turbotrip
12-19-2009, 03:42 AM
^parking in neutral is out of the question for u guys?

max_boost
12-19-2009, 05:14 AM
I'm confused.

What's wrong with a remote starter in manual?
And why would you want to cheap out on the install if you want a professional job? Just pay the $$$ and have a good shop like STRD to install it and you have the peace of mind.

speeed
12-19-2009, 05:16 AM
Originally posted by slinkie
^uh...can you park in gear? won't it drive away if you accidentally start it?

car won't start by the remote if it's in gear

pf0sh0
12-19-2009, 07:41 AM
It's about 350ish for a 2-way remote start at futureshop add a bit more($100) for an alarm.. and thats usually including the bypass

ExtraSlow
12-19-2009, 09:20 AM
The way it works on my compustar in a 5-speed is that you have to shut it down in a specific way to "prove" that it's in neutral and that it's safe to start. That's called "reservation mode."
So yeah, remote start plus manual is 100% safe. It's not like you can park it in gear with the parking brake off and then use the remote start to "drive" the car around the parking lot scaring old ladies. Although that would be cool.

black13
12-19-2009, 12:32 PM
Is it really that unreasonable? From the $300 something Futureshop charges, I bet the guy who does the install probably gets only half of that anyway so I might as well take out the middle man.

Plus I had a alarm installed by Futureshop before and I paid ALOT and guess what, it stopped working only after a few months and they wanted even more to fix it.

And yea its for a manual but I think it would be easier on a JDM 5-speed cause you don't have to push the clutch in to even start it so maybe it'll be just like a manual? But I understand I can't leave the car parked in gear which I never do anyways. Regardless thanks to someone here I already got a contact so thanks anyways.

jdmcrx
12-20-2009, 02:44 PM
So let me get this straight... you want a "professional" to take the risk of installing a remote start for half of what he gets at his shop? Perhaps you are delirious... there has been this thing called H1N1 in the news lately. Maybe you contracted this.
A shop has insurance in the event that someone makes a mistake and takes out something electronic in the vehicle. No idea what kind of car you drive, but if you have seen the install guides for any new vehicle, any reputable installer wouldn't touch this with a ten foot circuit tester. Or a co-workers for that matter. Are you prepared to foot the bill for a new BCM, ECM, or door lock module if the guy shoots 12V down a ground input? Pay the money, get it done at a shop, and get some warranty.