PDA

View Full Version : Quick Question: Plugging in cars

Mckenzie
11-24-2003, 10:05 AM
When you plug your car in overnight:

Is it safe to remote start my car with the car still plugged in, and then when I go outside unplug it and drive away?

:dunno:

fast95pony
11-24-2003, 10:14 AM
Depends.Does your block heater warm the muffler bearings too ??

Yes, It's okay to remote start the car.

rc2002
11-24-2003, 10:25 AM
I've wondered that same thing before... I did it on the car that I sold last year all the time with no problems. I don't see why it would do any harm to the car though.

Mckenzie
11-24-2003, 10:30 AM
Originally posted by fast95pony
Depends.Does your block heater warm the muffler bearings too ??

Only on Mondays Tuesdays and Fridays...:tongue:

I was told that you should unplug the car before starting it, but I was not given a reason why so I figured I would come here to see if anyone else has input....

fast95pony
11-24-2003, 10:53 AM
Originally posted by Mckenzie

Only on Mondays Tuesdays and Fridays...:tongue:

I was told that you should unplug the car before starting it, but I was not given a reason why so I figured I would come here to see if anyone else has input....

:D

Usually the plug is just connected to a heater element in the cooling system and is not connected to anything else..
I have heard of some cars that have battery blankets and a small cabin heater , but I believe these were aftermarket items.

ZMan2k2
11-24-2003, 10:56 AM
Yes, you can use you're remote starter while the car is plugged in. You just want to make sure that you unplug the block heater before the car gets too warm, as you can overheat the block heater and cause it to burn out. Remember, the block heater is just a coil of wire, and if you overheat that by running electricity and a hot motor on it, it will get brittle and break down. Then you're SOL and have to replace the block heater. If you only run the car about 5-10 min, and then unplug it, you're fine.

Rexxrally
11-24-2003, 11:06 AM
Muffler bearings..................hee hee................Haven't heard about them in a long time.

I don't know about damaging the muffler bearings, but you do have to be concerned about the HID headlight fluid freezing. Make sure the block heater keeps the lights warm, too......

:tongue:

Just remember to unplug the block heater before you drive away. You would not believe the number of times I've seen an extension cord trailing along underneath a car going down the road. It's hilarious......

Khyron
11-24-2003, 12:28 PM
Get this - on the newer VWs, the plug is just to an oilpan heater. But I smashed mine last spring and so needed a new pan, didn't bother with the block heater/pan heater at the time.

So I ask them to put one in at my last oilchange and they tell me VW recalled all the non-installed ones because they don't work very well. There is no alternative, so I can't plug my car in.

I have a garage so that's alright, but at work my car sits outside all day. What should I do?

Khyron

4wheeldrift
11-24-2003, 01:12 PM
Originally posted by Khyron

I have a garage so that's alright, but at work my car sits outside all day. What should I do?

Khyron Get a great big battery (1000cca or so) and run a light oil like 5w30 and you'll be fine. I almost never plug my car in, even at -30 and it spends all night outside. Starts every morning (reluctantly, admittedly). I get a buttload of piston slap at first, but that's a subaru thing.

hjr
11-24-2003, 01:29 PM
my car didnt start on sat (it was -21 at noon in edmonton). it turned over and oover and oooover and oooooooover. ya, not enough amps to crank it fast enough. left it till sunday (-4) and it started right up.

4wheeldrift
11-24-2003, 09:11 PM
Originally posted by hjr
my car didnt start on sat (it was -21 at noon in edmonton). it turned over and oover and oooover and oooooooover. ya, not enough amps to crank it fast enough. left it till sunday (-4) and it started right up. Whats the cold cranking rating on your battery?

link785
11-24-2003, 09:50 PM
Originally posted by fast95pony
Usually the plug is just connected to a heater element in the cooling system and is not connected to anything else..
I have heard of some cars that have battery blankets and a small cabin heater , but I believe these were aftermarket items.

Correct. In southern Canada, block heaters as factory equipment mainly heat the coolant.

In northern Canada, Yukon and NW territories come to mind, cars have block heaters, oil pan heaters, battery heaters AND cabin heaters, all factory equipment.

Fluidic
11-24-2003, 09:58 PM
I think my car is from Ontairo -- for some reason I don't have a block heater at all. Probably a BMW option, like the arm-rest! :rofl:

CelicaST-162
11-24-2003, 10:17 PM
Originally posted by link785

Correct. In southern Canada, block heaters as factory equipment mainly heat the coolant.

In northern Canada, Yukon and NW territories come to mind, cars have block heaters, oil pan heaters, battery heaters AND cabin heaters, all factory equipment.

You can buy them Re-circulating block heaters from canadian tire, the brand is "Zero Start" keeps your engine evenly warm, and you get instantanious heat! :D.

BMWilli
11-24-2003, 10:46 PM
My brother told me of a story where one of his friends plugged his car in overnight and it caught fire.....don't remember what happened to it exactly....but the fire fighters said this occured regularly????

bmeier
11-26-2003, 01:55 PM
you do not need to plug it in over night you are just wasting electricity. All you need is about 1-2 hours. I never plug my car in though, unless i have not driven it in a while and it is really cold.

kevie88
11-26-2003, 03:38 PM
heh.. I haven't had to plug a car in in 10 years! Even my Winter beater Civic starts right up no problems in the coldest weather...

bol
11-26-2003, 03:42 PM
Originally posted by BMWilli
My brother told me of a story where one of his friends plugged his car in overnight and it caught fire.....don't remember what happened to it exactly....but the fire fighters said this occured regularly????

It does happen. The power cord will get pinched in the hood, get cut and short against something.

Horatio
11-26-2003, 04:54 PM
there are heaters that fit into a coolant hose. Are these the 'Zero-Start" ones mentioned above? I've heard they work pretty well because they circulate coolant and keep your heater core warm ( = heat more quickly )

Greg