PDA

View Full Version : 06 Mazda3 Sport GT Vs. 06 Acura RSX? Personal Experience wanted!

boxy
12-20-2009, 04:10 PM
So after realizing the '10 Golf is a little too much money for what I'm getting, I've been looking at older models and became interested in these two models. The competition is essentially between Mazda's interior/comfortable ride versus Acura's looks/driving experience in my opinion.

I was wondering if anyone had experience with these models (or similar revisions) and if you'd be so kind as to donate a couple cents worth of info :) . I'd also be looking into doing a few mods with audio systems, possibly changing out the lighting on the Mazda3 to a blue/white LED combo, and replacing the Acura's stock head unit.

I'll be most likely getting either model in automatic (Get the flames out of the way if you must :P)

Cheers,
Jason

03ozwhip
12-20-2009, 04:32 PM
ive had an 04 mazda 3 and it was an auto(my wifes) and it was gutless as all hell.. however i did like the interior of the mazda. i had an 03 lancer OZ while i had this car as well and the lancer by far was the funner car and looked pretty good inside and they were both autos. it was gutless as hell too, but if you look into maybe a lancer RA it would definitely be a better choice over the mazda 3.

sorry dont have any experience with the rsx, however its a honda so reliability is there, it looks good and ive heard its a fun car. the mazda just IMO doesnt have a big fun factor at all, it feels like just a commuter car...

boxy
12-20-2009, 04:49 PM
Ah, the Lancer series look awesome but my needs involve a hatch style trunk for added practicality and to fit my mountain bike in without a gross bike rack.

The RSX has a bit of a shallow trunk but it's long enough for the bike to fit.

I might look into an old mazdaspeed3 for a compromise between the two..

03ozwhip
12-20-2009, 04:53 PM
or if you do like the look of the lancer and need a hatch, look at the RA wagon lots of room and still good performance. BUT IMO the mazda 3 hatch does look better than the wagon. i do love the MSP3 though, definitely a better compromise:thumbsup:

psycoticclown
12-20-2009, 04:56 PM
My friend owns a Mazda 3 Sport and that thing is SLOW. Not really a fun car to drive. The interior is mediocre, maybe cause I've been in it so much, but it's pretty meh imo. Not to mention, everybody and their mother owns a 3. The Acura is way nicer, better looking and the interior isn't bad. That is if you get the Premium. Get a Type-S and it'll destroy the Mazda. The Mazda is however a much more practical car. Lotta cargo room.

How much are you looking to spend?

boxy
12-20-2009, 05:17 PM
With the prospect of medical/graduate school, I've decided to try to keep it under 20k for a 2006+ car with under 40,000 kms.

I know how common mazda3's are, but the 2006 model rims are very distinct and I've only seen a mob of 07+ models on the road. The RSX is definitely a sweet little car, I'm just worried I'll kick myself later for the higher fuel consumption, bumpier ride, and less spacious backseat/cargo area. Heck, I suppose I could just sell the RSX and upgrade later when I need the extra space (especially with future medical salary prospects ;D)

So conflicted, blah.

03ozwhip
12-20-2009, 05:19 PM
well if youre looking for a mazda 3 for sure, by brother has one for sale. its got 38k and its an 08. its not a hatch though, i think he wants 17k for it or something. i still stand behind it being gutless, but its pretty good on gas, he said 700+ on the highway

Bowser
12-20-2009, 05:26 PM
I own an 06 gt sedan, 5spd, fully loaded. It's a great car, it's got plenty of power for getting around the city and enough passing power on the highway. The leather seats are very comfy and the interior has plenty of space, so I don't feel cramped.

When I was looking for a newer car, I test drove a few, including the hatch and the rsx (premium). The hatch wasn't that great of a drive, it felt heavy and slow, lots of body roll. The sedan surprisingly feels much lighter, faster and tighter, quite different from the hatch. The rsx was also pretty nice to drive around, with smoother shifting. In terms of power, the rsx was lacking, it dosn't make any power or torque until you get up into the higher rpm range. The 3, makes more torque at 3000rpms then the rsx's max torque, it makes a big diff in the city, power also comes sooner since you don't need to rev as high to get at it.

When you look at the practicality, the 3 has much more room for people and cargo, I can easily fit two mtn bikes with the rear seats folded down. I also use the back seat alot for carrying people and it didn't feel very comfy in the back of the rsx, much more cramped.

Also, just cause everyone and their mom owns a 3 dosn't make it a bad thing. In fact, it's quite the opposite. There are many 3's on the road, because it is a great car and lots of people have noticed that and have gotten one for that reason. It's got room and it's got more than enough power for a car in it's price range. The rsx really limits you on practicallity.

If the amount of power both cars have, is not enough for you. The speed 3 and speed 6 are also something to look at. They are much faster than either the 3 or the rsx and both offer lots of room and comfort. The speed 6 is also very well priced and has AWD, which is a nice thing to have in calgary

boxy
12-20-2009, 05:53 PM
Thank you Bowser, that was just the kind of information I was looking for :)

ozwhip I'd love to take a look at your brother's ride but I'm in Mississauga :(

I'm thinking I'll go for the Mazda3 sport GT. I'm going to be in reliable-commuter mode moreso than picking up hot chicks mode over the next few years. :D

A2VR6
12-20-2009, 06:02 PM
I've driven both cars and owned the RSX (Type-S) and if it's between the GT Auto and the RSX Premium Auto i'd go with the Mazda 3.

The RSX is pretty "spartan" in terms of features compared to the Mazda 3 GT. First of all, the Mazda 3 GT has steering wheel audio controls, exterior temperature display, and a rain sensor... things the RSX doesnt have.

The powertrain on both cars are pretty similar... not the quickest but adequate for around town driving so i'd say they are about equal.

The Mazda 3 is as good in the corners as the RSX, if not better. I found that the RSX's had good steering feel but was a tad on the heavy side where as the Mazda 3's was pretty good with good feedback and was nicely weighted.

The one thing i found with the RSX was that although the hatch/liftback gives good space with the seats down, the high liftover over the rear bumper is kinda a pain.

boxy
12-20-2009, 06:30 PM
I actually noticed the liftover as well A2VR6. Why did you choose to own the RSX over the Mazda 3? I suppose the Type-S improvements made it worthwhile?

I just noticed that the 07-08 mazda3's come with an aux input for mp3 playback, something I really prefer over CD audio. It's too bad the newer stock rims look horrible.

Does anyone know if I can swap out the 07-08 snowflake rims for the 06 fat-five design?

-TOFU-
12-20-2009, 07:27 PM
yes, you can swap out the 07-08 snow flakes and replace them with the 04-06 17 inch fat fives, you can even replace them with 18 imch rx8 rims with 225/40/r18 if you like. As a Mazda 3 owner I would recommend buying some good winter tires, those stock 17 inch wheels and tires that comes on the car is slippery as fuck in the winter.

Sharronholloran
12-21-2009, 05:36 AM
I like this car. It is nice car. I liked the RSX, possibly more than any other Honda product besides the NSX. I liked the RSX, possibly more than any other Honda product besides the NSX. It’s up there with the Miata on go-kart factor, since the bizarro twin of no-replacement-for-displacement is no-replacement-for-light-weight.

A2VR6
12-21-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by boxy
I actually noticed the liftover as well A2VR6. Why did you choose to own the RSX over the Mazda 3? I suppose the Type-S improvements made it worthwhile?

That was exactly why I chose the RSX over the Mazda 3. The motor and 6 speed manual in the RSX-S were enough to sell me on the car. If i was looking to stick to automatic, i'd think the Mazda 3 would be the easy choice. Even then, the RSX-S doesnt come with much equipment either. It's basically a Premium with a more powerful engine, a great transmission, and a bose sound system. Now, if the Mazdaspeed 3 came out in 2004/2005 I would have gotten that for sure.

freshprince1
12-21-2009, 02:47 PM
With the prospect of medical/graduate school, I've decided to try to keep it under 20k for a 2006+ car with under 40,000 kms.

I know how common mazda3's are, but the 2006 model rims are very distinct and I've only seen a mob of 07+ models on the road. The RSX is definitely a sweet little car, I'm just worried I'll kick myself later for the higher fuel consumption, bumpier ride, and less spacious backseat/cargo area. Heck, I suppose I could just sell the RSX and upgrade later when I need the extra space (especially with future medical salary prospects ;D)

So conflicted, blah.

Having owned both Mazda's and Acura's in the class you are looking at (though older models) I wouldn't let the difference in fuel consumption make or break your decision. They're both good on gas, the difference would be minimal IMO.

Happy Hunting.

Tomaz
12-21-2009, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by -TOFU-
yes, you can swap out the 07-08 snow flakes and replace them with the 04-06 17 inch fat fives, you can even replace them with 18 imch rx8 rims with 225/40/r18 if you like. As a Mazda 3 owner I would recommend buying some good winter tires, those stock 17 inch wheels and tires that comes on the car is slippery as fuck in the winter.

Agree 100%

The Mazda 3 is a way more practical car with enough features to keep you happy!

And yes, winter tires are needed!!! I slide around way too much.

heavyD
12-21-2009, 04:31 PM
Since they are used I would get the Acura as it will be cheaper to own. Mazda reliability is worse than even domestics and the RSX will retain resale value better down the line when you are ready to sell.

boxy
12-21-2009, 11:02 PM
I have heard of quite a few random reliability issues in the 06-09 mazda3's. That is currently the only worry I have for this make, which is why I'm looking into finding someone who could spare some carfax reports :D

My plan at the moment: Find an 07-09 Mazda3 Sport GT with low KM's, replace stock tires and rims with RX-8 or at least the '06 mazda3 stock rims, also buy winters. I'm pretty pumped :)

boxy
12-21-2009, 11:47 PM
Actually, that raises another point, which of those vehicle history services is the most accurate? I've heard of Carfax before, but just recently was introduced to Carproof. :confused:

psycoticclown
12-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Carproof for Canada, CarFax for US cars.

A2VR6
12-21-2009, 11:53 PM
Carproof by far. The only bad thing is that it gets pretty expensive for multiple cars. What I would do is use autocheck or carfax first to narrow your cars down (you can buy unlimited reports for like $39.99) and then use Carproof to verify. Carproof is much more accurate for Canadian vehicles than autocheck or carfax.

heavyD
12-22-2009, 09:50 AM
I have heard of quite a few random reliability issues in the 06-09 mazda3's. That is currently the only worry I have for this make, which is why I'm looking into finding someone who could spare some carfax reports :D

That's not going to save you from a lemon. That will only tell you if it has been in an accident. It doesn't tell you about unscheduled trips to the dealer or warranty repair work. If reliability is going to be a worry get the Honda.

Tomaz
12-22-2009, 11:33 AM
The M3 is the most reliable car in the Mazda lineup. There are only a few recalls on the car and only minor things noted by M3 Enthusiasts:

-Power Steering pump: The factory one tends to fail. Probably a good 70% of the models that needed it replaced did so in the first 30,000kms have them replaced with a revised version. *Covered by warranty*

-Top/Passenger Engine Mount: Cracks and busts. Fluid will be seen in engine bay. Cheap and easy to replace with an aftermarket replacement. Usually $80 to do it yourself.

Other than that, the car should last you just fine! :)

403Gemini
12-22-2009, 11:37 AM
I would never purchase a mazda after what my friends have experienced... the non-stop rattling, horrible gear box (sounds like its made out of cardboard), lack of power, novelty of the "fancy" interior wears off and you start to really notice its flaws and cheapness.

Everytime I get in my buddy's 6, it's a new rattle/thunking sound every time.

boxy
12-22-2009, 01:10 PM
Anyone recommend some sites/forums I can look to for various common Mazda3 problems? Since I'm buying used I could simply ask the dealer/owner about the repairs done.

That.Guy.S30
12-22-2009, 01:25 PM
people forgot to mention the cheap paint and rust.

sabad66
12-22-2009, 01:38 PM
I bought an 08 Mazda3 GS sedan, and I have no complaints so far after 30,000 km. The big thing for me was the interior/features compared to other cars in its class...My car was just under $20k with power windows, sunroof etc. Good luck getting all of thsoe features on a new car for that price.

Honestly just drive one and see for yourself.. It does handle quite good compared to other cars I test drove, and although it doesn't have a lot of power, it gets me around just fine.

If you can find an 08 or 08.5 around your price range, i'd go with that since most of their quirks have been sorted out by now.

Also, the sound system is pretty good right out of the box. One thing to keep in mind though is that 08 and older don't play MP3 cds (but still have the aux in jack). 08.5+ models do play mp3 cds. (I upgraded to a pioneer nav unit so doesn't really affect me)

boxy
12-22-2009, 02:20 PM
Sabad that's great to know. That seems very odd that 07's don't play mp3 CDs. I just assumed aux input = mp3 capabilities.

I was hoping to keep the stock head unit if it had the playback abilities I want, upgrading would be an option but goes into the unnecessary expense category unfortunately.

I figured the Sport GT gives me a fully loaded car for under 19,000, I doubt I'd be able to find that anywhere else. Thanks everyone for the very informative input! :bigpimp:

heavyD
12-22-2009, 02:39 PM
Originally posted by Thi_Thi Subs
people forgot to mention the cheap paint and rust.

To be fair Subaru, Toyota, Mitsubishi are all using the same crappy water based paints that chip very easliy. However our 2002 Protege 5 had rust bubbles on the hatch after three years. I'm anal even about keeping my wife's car clean and it was the first car I've ever owned that developed rust bubbles (quarter sized) and I've owned plenty of cars 5 - 10 years old. On a three year old car that had been cleaned regularily it's a total joke not to mention that the transmission fell apart with a bunch of engine sensors all magically three weeks after the three year warranty expired. I've been driving cars since the 80's and that three year old car was by far the biggest piece of junk I've owned (79 Mustang II trailing closely behind).:thumbsdow It's too bad that new Mazda's have VW-like reliability as early 90's cars like MX6/Probes as well at the 323GTX were solid cars.

Tomaz
12-22-2009, 03:01 PM
Anyone recommend some sites/forums I can look to for various common Mazda3 problems? Since I'm buying used I could simply ask the dealer/owner about the repairs done.

www.mazda3forums.com

You will learn a lot on that site.

boxy
12-22-2009, 04:27 PM
Cheers guys!:D

Mar
12-22-2009, 04:37 PM
Did I actually see you write that the interior of the Mazda is better than the RSX? In that class range I've never seen another car with a nicer interior than the RSX, it's one of its best features. Besides, the older Mazda 3s had an issue with the locking mechanisms inside the doors. If you jammed your knee into the door at just the right spot, the door would unlock.

sabad66
12-22-2009, 05:45 PM
It's all personal preference but yes I said that...RSX doesn't even have steering wheel mounted audio controls or an armrest..For a car that is about 7-10k more expensive, i'd expect those "luxuries" (if you can call them that) to be standard.

http://image.superstreetonline.com/f/9526261/p83896_large+2002_Acura_RSX+Interior_Dash.jpg

vs

http://image.motortrend.com/f/11987142+w750/112_0812_12z+2009_mazda3_s_GT+interior.jpg

Plus, once you open the glove box you'll be sold :P

403Gemini
12-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Originally posted by sabad66
It's all personal preference but yes I said that...RSX doesn't even have steering wheel mounted audio controls or an armrest..For a car that is about 7-10k more expensive, i'd expect those "luxuries" (if you can call them that) to be standard.

http://image.superstreetonline.com/f/9526261/p83896_large+2002_Acura_RSX+Interior_Dash.jpg

vs

http://image.motortrend.com/f/11987142+w750/112_0812_12z+2009_mazda3_s_GT+interior.jpg

Plus, once you open the glove box you'll be sold :P

Pictures sure are pretty arent they? Try sitting in each of them. Granted the RSX doesn't have stereo mounted controls, but the fit and finish quality is A LOT higher vs the mazda

Team_Mclaren
12-22-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Pictures sure are pretty arent they? Try sitting in each of them. Granted the RSX doesn't have stereo mounted controls, but the fit and finish quality is A LOT higher vs the mazda

funny you said that and you drive a Subby with the worst interior design ever....:D

both interiors use cheap hard plastic you find in every jap econ box. Features wise the 3GT is much better equip than the RSX. RSX has the most uncomfortable leather seats ever, I'd rather drive an s2k for longer trips lol.

sabad66
12-22-2009, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by 403Gemini

Lol pictures are pretty? What do you want me to do, bring them both to everyone's house who reads this thread to judge for themselves?

I've sat in both, thanks. In fact I've borrowed my cousin's 07 Premium many times. Nothing spectacular I must say... The seats are pretty comfy on both, but I just think the mazda3 beats out in other aspects.

LOL @ fit and finish being better. I must not have noticed the panels in my car don't line up properly and are scratched from the factory :rofl:

Mar
12-23-2009, 10:56 AM
Originally posted by Team_Mclaren
both interiors use cheap hard plastic you find in every jap econ box.
Have I been driving a different RSX than everyone else here? It doesn't have cheap hard plastic, the panels are wrapped in something to make them softer and other parts a weird grippy material that doesn't feel like plastic at all.

A2VR6
12-23-2009, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by Mar

Have I been driving a different RSX than everyone else here? It doesn't have cheap hard plastic, the panels are wrapped in something to make them softer and other parts a weird grippy material that doesn't feel like plastic at all.

The plastic on the interior door panels is cheap hard plastic. The passenger side of the dashboard is cheap hard plastic (the plastic between the two vent holes and even the glovebox). The center console is- you guessed it, cheap hard plastic. The only stuff thats in that grippy stuff is the drivers side of the dash.