PDA

View Full Version : Parking on private property

anschutz_92
12-21-2009, 11:50 AM
I'm curious as to what legal routes you could take if someone chose to park on your driveway. Providing that you do not have a no parking sign (~$110 in Edmonton I believe) it is legal to park on someone else's driveway and bylaw will not tow the vehicle.
Yes this sounds ridiculous but this came up in a thread on 780tuners and would like to know what to do.
Could one put a lien on a vehicle against incurred parking costs associated with the use of your property?
Could you put the vehicle into your garage and hold it hostage?

http://i44.tinypic.com/a0gl1l.jpg

Well?

Sugarphreak
12-21-2009, 12:06 PM

Xtrema
12-21-2009, 12:12 PM
http://www.edmonton.ca/bylaws_licences/bylaws/parking-enforcement-faq.aspx#6338

Probably less effort and quicker result than posting on forums.

bmw860
12-21-2009, 12:13 PM
Yeah it does sound ridiculous. Why do u care if someone parks in your driveway? Just park in someone else's driveway...

ercchry
12-21-2009, 12:14 PM
park a couple spike strips under a few inches of snow on your driveway

510-Trevor
12-21-2009, 12:15 PM
In Calgary, if someone is blocking access to your property (by parking in or within 1.5m of your driveway) you can call bylaw and they will ticket and tow the car right away.

Xtrema
12-21-2009, 12:18 PM
^ Sounds like Edmonton doesn't have the same laws. It may be out of the owner's expense to get it towed. But the website isn't very clear and I assume the only way to find out is call them.

I think in Calgary would be easy. I'll take a crowbar to that car and call city to pick up a derelict. :rofl:

94boosted
12-21-2009, 12:22 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak
Slap a couple of tow straps on it, drag it into the middle of the street and call the city to tow it away :dunno:

^ This

scat19
12-21-2009, 12:30 PM
This exact problem is happening to my co-worker.

He has space to park five vehicles side by side. It is adjacent to an alley way. People picking up their kids think they can just park there while they wait, instead of parking in the street.

He comes hope, and all 5 spots are taken. He pretty much gets the F-U when he tells them to move.

He called city parking and they have been there for the last week just watching. They come up to park, they see the parking patrol, and they keep going.

I told him it's going to last only so long untill parking doesnt show up and you will loose your spot again.

I also told him of eerchy's idea. He lol'd but I doubt he'll do it, too nice of a guy.

lilmira
12-21-2009, 12:44 PM
Is it legal to use these wheel locks on someone's car on your property?

http://www.tirelock.com/category_s/21.htm

Or just chain their wheels to cinder blocks for cheaper solution.

chkolny541
12-21-2009, 01:49 PM
Originally posted by scat19
This exact problem is happening to my co-worker.

He has space to park five vehicles side by side. It is adjacent to an alley way.

wait, so is the 5 spots his property? or does he just like to think its 'his' spaces?

im kinda confused

FraserB
12-21-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by chkolny541

wait, so is the 5 spots his property? or does he just like to think its 'his' spaces?

im kinda confused

Sounds like his is on a corner lot and has space within his property line to park 5 cars, not too unusual. I'd place some "No Parking, Private Property" signs and then call the cops when they trespass. Either that or hook my tow straps up while they sit there and give them a choice.

If they left it there for any amount of time and left the vehicle I would either start a tally for hourly parking, say $5.00/hr, then place a lien on the vehicle or park around him so he can't get out and then invite him to pay the rate to get my cars moved.

turbotrip
12-21-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by 510-Trevor
In Calgary, if someone is blocking access to your property (by parking in or within 1.5m of your driveway) you can call bylaw and they will ticket and tow the car right away.

although logical, this is not true

we had someone park on our driveway and called bylaw who came by and said since there is no private property sign they cant ticket or tow

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-21-2009, 05:39 PM
I live on a corner lot, and we normally have plenty of space to park, 3 cars in the garage and 2 on the street, but I get very very pissed off if I come home to find absolutely no parking! I usually double park beside a car until another spot opens up, then park in there and make it very very hard for people who parked there to get out. I even got one bastard who parked on the corner, half on our sidewalk and pushed snow all over the sidealk, so I just piled some 5 foot snow banks around the damn thing, he looked pretty pissed when he came back.

Im an asshole I guess.

theken
12-21-2009, 05:59 PM
You don't call bylaw you call city parking. It is called unauthorized parking private property. You do not need a sign if your personal driveway is blocked or parked on here. Call parking they will come and a tow truck will be there within an hour.
True story. I work for the tow company that tows out for the city so call parking. Make sure you break in and put the ebrake off and make it easy to get in neutral.

turbotrip
12-21-2009, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by theken
You don't call bylaw you call city parking.

sorry it was city parking not bylaw

btimbit
12-22-2009, 12:20 AM
It's easier just to know what tow companies to call. I know a guy that will tow anything you ask him too, without a reason.

Interesting topic though. I've never heard of the rule that you need to have a sign up, it's private property regardless.

Best solution so far was drag it to the middle of the street and let the city deal with it.

VetteRacin
12-22-2009, 03:42 AM
Just get one of these and remove the valve cores outa their tires, then they have to get their own vehicle towed, keep doing that until they get the picture.

http://www.fycautoparts.com/images/Valve%20Core%20Tools-2.jpg

cloud7
12-22-2009, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Twin_Cam_Turbo
I even got one bastard who parked on the corner, half on our sidewalk and pushed snow all over the sidealk, so I just piled some 5 foot snow banks around the damn thing, he looked pretty pissed when he came back.

Im an asshole I guess.

It sounds like we all have our own parking problems... I also live on a corner lot but we don't have a sidewalk... so it's the street and then our lawn (separated by a rolled curb). One asshole neighbour parked his/her entire truck except for the left tires on my snow cover lawn one day. The next time he/she does that, I will do the same thing as you (pile some snow banks around the truck).

Sugarphreak
12-22-2009, 07:15 PM

livinlarge89
12-22-2009, 07:27 PM
^^^

or have a landscaping company drop off a giant rock and make it into a feature on the corner edge of your property.

I'd go for a rock that hides in the snow, medium size, but that's just me

cloud7
12-22-2009, 11:13 PM
^^^

Corner lots are a pain, most of the various houses I have lived at have been on a corner lot.

Best solution I have found is to either put up a hedge or low fence to prevent people from cutting across or have a landscaping company drop off a giant rock and make it into a feature on the corner edge of your property.

You can try to plant trees on the corner too, but eventually some smuck will take it out if it isn't big enough.

I actually thought about putting a giant rock all the way along the edge of my property, but the wife overruled me. There is one more thing too, a neighbour across the street with snowmobiles like to take them out the day after we get a lot of snow... and he likes to drive those thing on the edge of my property... I don't have problems with that per say, but cars and trucks like to follow the snowmobile tracks and drive/park on my property... just PITA that's all.

mr2mike
12-23-2009, 10:46 AM
The rocks need to be large. This guy in the winter ALWAYS thinks cutting through the area on the link. They put some rocks on the sides but not close enough. I saw him drive through again last week. I want to get some people to go and move the rocks closer and watch hilarity ensue.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=calgary,+ab&sll=37.0625,-95.677068&sspn=51.576045,78.662109&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Calgary,+Division+No.+6,+Alberta,+Canada&ll=51.056042,-114.088627&spn=0,359.997599&t=h&z=19&layer=c&cbll=51.055408,-114.088619&panoid=RLiUmkS6X0QB95EV_H6bXg&cbp=12,269.53,,0,7.09

spike98
12-23-2009, 11:37 AM
I live on a corner lot and i blood hate it when people pull into my driveway all day long to turn around and get back on the main road. Its ok in the summer but in the winter it happens all day when i am at work and i have to spend hours chipping away at the packed snow and ice that is made on the sidewalk.

I think i am going to do the spike strip idea. Ill post up any video the security camera takes as a result.