PDA

View Full Version : Speeding ticket with Errors, still valid?

cidley69
12-21-2009, 12:56 PM
I recently got stopped on Hwy 2 near Lacombe, going 133 in a 110 zone.

Usually 133 km/h seems slow on this road....

Anyways my question is this, if there are errors on the ticket from how the officer filled it out, does that make the ticket any less valid?

My last name is spelled wrong and he put the city as Edmonton, although I live in Calgary.

He had my drivers license to use, which had the correct name and address on it, but he wrote them down wrong on the yellow ticket.

I also don't see my DL number anywhere on the ticket.

Is this ticket still valid?

anschutz_92
12-21-2009, 01:01 PM
Quit being a loser and pay. I'm sure that everyone else on this site will agree that going to the court and arguing this is morally wrong. You sped. Pay the ticket. A judge would have to agree with your point of view to get out of it. Judges aren't retarded.

YamahaV8
12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
I'm pretty sure he put down Edmonton because that is where the officers main base will be since you were pretty close to Edmonton. Good chance that if you were to fight this ticket you would have to go to Edmonton. As far as the last name being spelled wrong that doesn't matter. You may have something with the DL number not being there but I have seen so many of these posts on this site and it seems no matter what errors there are on the ticket it still sticks.

Good luck anyways. Remember, if all the cars are going 133 you would probably have been fine but if you stick out at all you will get nailed.

nobb
12-21-2009, 01:06 PM
I once got out of a ticket because the officer forgot to put the year on my ticket. This was only for 15 over the limit though.

chkolny541
12-21-2009, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by YamahaV8
I'm pretty sure he put down Edmonton because that is where the officers main base will be since you were pretty close to Edmonton. Good chance that if you were to fight this ticket you would have to go to Edmonton.

werd. would it even be worth it OP?

89s1
12-21-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by cidley69
I recently got stopped on Hwy 2 near Lacombe, going 133 in a 110 zone.

Usually 133 km/h seems slow on this road....

Anyways my question is this, if there are errors on the ticket from how the officer filled it out, does that make the ticket any less valid?

My last name is spelled wrong and he put the city as Edmonton, although I live in Calgary.

He had my drivers license to use, which had the correct name and address on it, but he wrote them down wrong on the yellow ticket.

I also don't see my DL number anywhere on the ticket.

Is this ticket still valid?

The best way to avoid paying for a speeding ticket is to not get them.

This can be achieved by either:
a) running from the cops
b) not speeding
c) bribing the officer
d) flirting with the officer
e) gunning down the officer
f) taking the greyhound

Of course, you already have the ticket so none of these are viable. At least next time you'll know you do indeed have options. It's up to you to use your best judgment when choosing. :)

DayGlow
12-21-2009, 01:34 PM
You can use the mistakes to raise the issue of identity during trial, but they aren't fatal mistakes. Other info such as your DL # and dob, etc are on the officer's copy. This is different from a missing year as that is fatal legally speaking as it is crucial to the time and place the offense happenned.

beyond_ban
12-21-2009, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by DayGlow
You can use the mistakes to raise the issue of identity during trial, but they aren't fatal mistakes. Other info such as your DL # and dob, etc are on the officer's copy. This is different from a missing year as that is fatal legally speaking as it is crucial to the time and place the offense happenned.

Off topic, but a friend of mine got a ticket for having his head rest to low. There is no $ value on the ticket. What does that mean?

revelations
12-21-2009, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Off topic, but a friend of mine got a ticket for having his head rest to low. There is no $ value on the ticket. What does that mean?

Look up the section number on the ticket in the Traffic Act.

I believe fines are listed there.

Whats next, a ticket for having mirrors adjusted wrong?

cidley69
12-21-2009, 02:03 PM
The court I'd have to go to is Red Deer.

I just wanted to know if these little grammatical/clerical errors had any bearing on the actual ticket.

I thought they might have had to be filled out 100% correct to be a valid legal document.

Thanks for the input, looks like I'll be mailing them a check...

03ozwhip
12-22-2009, 07:28 AM
off topic but sort of on topic....
years ago i got a ticket for a dirty windshield. not only did i not know that you can get a ticket for that, i was cleaning my windshield right before the cop turned around and pulled me over, i had just pulled out of my culdesac from my house....

GOnSHO
12-22-2009, 09:07 AM
The court I'd have to go to is Red Deer.

I just wanted to know if these little grammatical/clerical errors had any bearing on the actual ticket.

I thought they might have had to be filled out 100% correct to be a valid legal document.

Thanks for the input, looks like I'll be mailing them a check...

ive had 2 thrown out now because something ABOVE the line (where your recorded speed was written) was wrong, IE: name spelt wrong and DOB was incorrect

GTS4tw
12-22-2009, 09:16 AM
Originally posted by DayGlow

I have had friends do this and the Judge just asked "Was this ticket issued to you?" and when they said yes then it was valid.

So be prepared to lie in court if you want the ticket thrown out.

Just pay the ticket and save us all some tax money, dont be a loser.

cidley69
12-22-2009, 09:27 AM
Hey GOnSHO,

Did you have to be at court on your appearance date to have the tickets thrown out?

anyone tried those ticket fighting businesses, like Points, etc.?

scat19
12-22-2009, 12:32 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

Oh the hardships of the gangsta lean. Son.

beyond_ban
12-22-2009, 12:54 PM
Originally posted by scat19

Oh the hardships of the gangsta lean. Son.

I don't know about you, but i keep mine all the way to the bottom. Gets annoying with it to high because when i shoulder check it gets in the way.

Feruk
12-22-2009, 04:14 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

I have had friends do this and the Judge just asked "Was this ticket issued to you?" and when they said yes then it was valid.

Just pay the ticket and save us all some tax money, dont be a loser.

You're not required to answer the judge because you have a right against self-incrimination.

Feruk
12-22-2009, 04:17 PM
Hey GOnSHO,

Did you have to be at court on your appearance date to have the tickets thrown out?

anyone tried those ticket fighting businesses, like Points, etc.?

Points can be PRICY. My roommate went through them for 5 tickets including a hit and run. Cost him $800 and they only got him partially off. Don't use them for small stuff.

On a side note, I always just go and chat with the prosecutor. I've had a ticket for 150km/h in a 100km/h zone knocked down from $350 and 4 demerits down to a ticket for "failing to stop at a stop sign" with only ~$150 and 2 demerits just by chatting with the prosecutor for 5 minutes.

revelations
12-22-2009, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

You're not required to answer the judge because you have a right against self-incrimination.

Thats really SMRT.

Youre there to answer to the accusations made against you and if you say nothing, the JUSTICE OF THE PEACE (not judge) will rule according to evidence and the ticket will stand - or possibly raise the fine if he/she thinks youre being an intentional dbag.

Feruk
12-22-2009, 04:44 PM
Originally posted by revelations

Thats really SMRT.

Youre there to answer to the accusations made against you and if you say nothing, the JUSTICE OF THE PEACE (not judge) will rule according to evidence and the ticket will stand - or possibly raise the fine if he/she thinks youre being an intentional dbag.

Negative, in court you have a right to decline taking the stand in your defense. I've fought a few tickets and almost never seen anyone let themselves be cross-examined by the prosecutor. You always have the right against self incrimination, just state this; lying to the justice of the peace is what could get you in more trouble. By invoking your right against self incrimination, you're being smart, not being a douche. If you answer that you are guilty, trial over, you just confessed.

Disoblige
12-22-2009, 11:02 PM
Originally posted by GTS4tw

Dumbass. I seriously HATE people like you :facepalm:

revelations
12-22-2009, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by Feruk

Negative, in court you have a right to decline taking the stand in your defense. I've fought a few tickets and almost never seen anyone let themselves be cross-examined by the prosecutor. You always have the right against self incrimination, just state this; lying to the justice of the peace is what could get you in more trouble. By invoking your right against self incrimination, you're being smart, not being a douche. If you answer that you are guilty, trial over, you just confessed.

I see, that makes more sense that just standing there staring at the JP and saying nothing.