PDA

View Full Version : Windows 7 + Starcraft

swak
12-22-2009, 12:56 PM
Is anybody having problems running starcraft on Win. 7?

I mean... It runs fine for me, but am getting the fluorescent colors on title pages, and often water areas on maps.
Seems laggier overall as well.

Never have connection problems on red alert, c+c etc...
And have run sc on the same computer with no problems on the XP OS.

Any recommendations?

Xaroxantu Zero
12-22-2009, 01:02 PM
Explorer.exe is actually causing this. The workaround for it is to kill Explorer before running Starcraft. Open Notepad and type in the following:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
StarCraft.exe
start explorer.exe

Save it as starcraft.bat in the Starcraft game folder, then make a shortcut to your desktop or whereever you want.

TorqueDog
12-22-2009, 01:28 PM
I used to use a batch file that would change the screen resolution and colour depth to 640x480@256 colors, but then I found a program called ChaosLauncher.

Works fucking brilliantly. I recommend you give it a go.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=65196

swak
12-22-2009, 01:30 PM
Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero
Explorer.exe is actually causing this. The workaround for it is to kill Explorer before running Starcraft. Open Notepad and type in the following:

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
StarCraft.exe
start explorer.exe

Save it as starcraft.bat in the Starcraft game folder, then make a shortcut to your desktop or whereever you want.

Wicked, Thanks... Done.

What do you make a shortcut to, the starcraft.bat file?
It doesn't make much sense.

Appreciate it though!

Xaroxantu Zero
12-22-2009, 01:32 PM
Yeah, I meant a shortcut to the .bat file, so that you wouldn't have to open up the Starcraft folder every time.

swak
12-22-2009, 01:39 PM
Originally posted by Xaroxantu Zero
Yeah, I meant a shortcut to the .bat file, so that you wouldn't have to open up the Starcraft folder every time.

Okay, cool!

Man sound like an idiot here, but how does having a notepad file open solve this problem?

Or, do i copt + paste whats in the notepad file to something else?

Impreza
12-22-2009, 01:44 PM
Originally posted by swak

Okay, cool!

Man sound like an idiot here, but how does having a notepad file open solve this problem?

Or, do i copt + paste whats in the notepad file to something else?
Just double-click on the shortcut and it will do the rest. You are saving it as a .bat file, so technically, it isn't just a notepad file with text. By double-clicking on the .bat file, you execute some commands to solve your issues.

sabad66
12-22-2009, 01:46 PM
a .bat file is an executable file (like an .exe). You copy and paste that into notedpad, but then when you click save as, instead of saving it as a .txt, you save it as a .bat file.

Xaroxantu Zero
12-22-2009, 01:48 PM
When you save the file in Notepad, just make sure you do it like this:

http://i50.tinypic.com/2m2xsih.jpg

Notice how for file type, I chose All Files instead of Text Document. This is essential if you want the .bat file to work.

As mentioned above, just double-click the .bat file to run it.

swak
12-22-2009, 02:01 PM
Wicked...
Sick!! figured it out :nut:

Runs excellently now.
Thanks a lot!!!

EDIT: Discoloration is gone too. :thumbsup: