PDA

View Full Version : Texting while driving = crash!

old&slow
12-23-2009, 05:56 AM
http://news.yahoo.com/s/livescience/20091221/sc_livescience/driverswhotextaresixtimesmorelikelytocrash

cancer man
12-23-2009, 06:25 AM
When i was at the cop shop paying for my tickets they had a sign up on the wall that said,Drunk driving 6 deaths / Cell phone 19
this was about 6 months ago.

scat19
12-23-2009, 08:33 AM
I'm just blown away when people are two hand texting when driving.

t_soarer
12-23-2009, 08:35 AM
Death can also result from other drivers knocking your shit in after seeing you texting while driving....:)

msommers
12-23-2009, 09:18 AM
You can thank Stalmach for putting it on the back burner for another year. Why he decided that, I have no idea. I think being 95% incompetent had a lot to do with it.

GQBalla
12-23-2009, 09:27 AM
i always pin/text when i drive...i guess im pretty safe about it though since i don't look at my phone when i type.

spike98
12-23-2009, 09:44 AM
I txt and drive too. Only at nights or while traveling between cities. Never during traffic however.

Kloubek
12-23-2009, 09:48 AM
I admit, I sometimes do text.... and have found myself getting closer than intended to the car in front of me.

I can see how it would be considered dangerous. I've been curbing my habit lately.

darkkent
12-23-2009, 10:09 AM
i dont know if this has been posted before but here is a neat online test to see how well you pay attention when distracted while driving. I failed horribly ... which is why I only text when stopped at a light ;)

give it a try, only takes about 1 minute

http://www.dft.gov.uk/drivingchallenge/

angeltr16
12-23-2009, 10:20 AM
My dad was hit from behind while sitting at the lights from someone that was texting. Luckily he was driving an old beater truck with an 8ft box that saved his life.

All cause some moron was texting! Stupid people! Do people really need to text at all when driving, we survived fine before texting people!:banghead:

Tomaz
12-23-2009, 11:06 AM
I TXT at red lights now. I have slowly curbed the habit once i realized that it is near impossible to TXT and trive with a touch screen phone!!

It's taken me a long time to change my habits though...

spike98
12-23-2009, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by darkkent
i dont know if this has been posted before but here is a neat online test to see how well you pay attention when distracted while driving. I failed horribly ... which is why I only text when stopped at a light ;)

That is so fucking retarded. I would compare that to driving down a gravel road, tailgating someone with no mud flaps then trying to count the rocks flying at your car.

They make a valid point but are exaggerating it a lot.

mac_82
12-23-2009, 11:23 AM
There have been a couple of studies done that show that texting while driving is more likely to cause an accident than driving drunk.

Motorists who send text messages while driving are "significantly more impaired" than those who drive drunk, even at the minimum legal limit for alcohol, according to a British study.

http://www.cbc.ca/consumer/story/2008/09/22/texting-driving.html

Rigging a car with a red light to alert drivers when to brake, the magazine tested how long it takes to hit the brake when sober, when legally drunk at .08, when reading and e-mail, and when sending a text. The results are scary. Driving 70 miles per hour on a deserted air strip Car and Driver editor Eddie Alterman was slower and slower reacting and braking when e-mailing and texting.

The results:

Unimpaired: .54 seconds to brake
Legally drunk: add 4 feet
Reading e-mail: add 36 feet
Sending a text: add 70 feet

http://www.cnbc.com/id/31545004

Mibz
12-23-2009, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by scat19
I'm just blown away when people are two hand texting when driving. Let me guess, you're much safer because you only use one hand?

extm88
12-23-2009, 12:18 PM
That test was fun at first then pissed me off....does she ask everyone "are you listening to me" it was distracting me thinking that my spacebar wasnt working. Then I did catch the bunny waiving at me and then it threw me off even more.
As if im going to be talking on the phone, counting pedestrians (with blindsiders on might i add so you cant turn your shoulder) and having to make a point of listening to specific questions.

anyways-results... originally counted 29 ppl but figured ide round it to 30 when it was (wont spoil for those playing)
And missed 7 questions which i would question myself.

colt22
12-23-2009, 12:20 PM
haha I counted 9 people on my last pass through and forgot what i counted before so i just multiplied that by 3 (for three passes through the intersection) and got 27.. turned out to be correct, i passed! haha

dandia89
12-23-2009, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by darkkent

haha i just ended up ignoring the bitch and counted the people

extm88
12-23-2009, 12:30 PM
colt you just ruined it for anyone to play:whipped:

oilerfan4lyfe
12-23-2009, 01:09 PM
I text too sometimes...though I text without looking at my phone for the most part - most of the statistics that add ____ feet or ____ seconds to your reaction time do so because they assume that you're looking at your phone and not at the car in front of you that just hit the brakes.

Not that I'm advocating texting while driving of course - if they made a law barring it I wouldn't mind one bit...though honestly I hope if they do that they ban holding a phone in your hand completely - it's fricken annoying to have to deal with someone going 60 in an 80 zone in the left lane and not knowing wtf they're doing because they're talking on their phone.

swak
12-23-2009, 02:08 PM
i sometimes text at redlights if said text is of importance.

Otherwise, if its just some friend texting some useless shit, or something, it can wait.
I hate people who text me useless shit in the first place though, so even if im not driving i'll probably ignore it.

Besides, if its that important, call me.
Most phones still have that function on it i believe.

GREENBOY
12-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Not a day goes by I'm not shouting at some idiot for being on a cell or texting while driving and paying zero attention. If you're doing it around me I get mad as you're basically risking my life with your dumbness! And when the lights turn green and you're texting...prepare to be flamed.

no_joke
12-23-2009, 02:21 PM
i always pin/text when i drive...i guess im pretty safe about it though since i don't look at my phone when i type.

I text too sometimes...though I text without looking at my phone for the most part - most of the statistics...assume that you're looking at your phone and not at the car in front of you that just hit the brakes.

The ignorance and stupidity here and in the general public is ridiculous. As people have mentioned in other threads, it should be a more rigorous process to obtain and retain a driver's license. Operating a motor vehicle is a dangerous act when done irresponsibly- not only to the driver but to those around him/her. The amount of retards behind the wheel proves it.

thetransporter
12-23-2009, 02:48 PM
texting + driving = stupid damn people need to be locked up

Kobe
12-23-2009, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by no_joke

The ignorance and stupidity here and in the general public is ridiculous. As people have mentioned in other threads, it should be a more rigorous process to obtain and retain a driver's license. Operating a motor vehicle is a dangerous act when done irresponsibly- not only to the driver but to those around him/her. The amount of retards behind the wheel proves it.

It is a lot harder to get off GDL now atleast.. the test in 1hour and they are striked

Stealth13
12-23-2009, 06:27 PM
i drive 8 hours a day and generally send and receive over 200 texts a day, it helps pass the time..

89s1
12-23-2009, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by Stealth13
i drive 8 hours a day and generally send and receive over 200 texts a day, it helps pass the time..

What do you drive for 8 hours?

If its anything but a scooter or bicycle I'd like your address so I can come beat the living shit out of you.

Stealth13
12-23-2009, 07:54 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

What do you drive for 8 hours?

If its anything but a scooter or bicycle I'd like your address so I can come beat the living shit out of you.

a s10 truck for delivery.. I got multitasking down to a science so don't worry about it. I can change my ipod song, while finishing a text with my thumb, while sucking on a slurpee

Kardon
12-23-2009, 08:49 PM
Red light texter, I might glance at one on the road if my phone isn't in my pocket, but I will wait to reply.

swak
12-23-2009, 09:18 PM

a s10 truck for delivery.. I got multitasking down to a science so don't worry about it. I can change my ipod song, while finishing a text with my thumb, while sucking on a slurpee

You're so cool man,
I wish I could do all that!

narou
12-23-2009, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

It is a lot harder to get off GDL now atleast.. the test in 1hour and they are striked

Meh! That test was cake, even in JMD mode.

Stealth13
12-24-2009, 01:43 AM
Originally posted by swak

You're so cool man,
I wish I could do all that! it's not hard , I still watch the road with one eye at the same time

sr20s14zenki
12-24-2009, 07:57 AM
it's not hard , I still watch the road with one eye at the same time

its not that you dont have eyes on the road, its that you may miss things. There is no such thing as multitasking, you are merely changing the amount your brain is paying to one thing or the other. When you are driving, you should be doing that, not everything else you can think of. That being said, i am guilty of doing the occasional text, on the hiway, in sparse traffic, OR, when rush hour is back to back. I also do not type complex messages, just like "be there in a bit" or shit like that, never conversations. When 100% attention is needed my phone is ignored.

Vagabond142
12-24-2009, 09:16 AM
I drive manual shift vehicles. All my appendages are in use at any one time in the car, so even if I had a spark of a thought about using my cell while driving, I couldn't.

Then again, this is why I have voicemail. My message says: "Hi, you've reached <my number>. I can't answer the phone right now as I'm most likely driving or in class, so please leave a message and I'll get back to you when I can. Thanks!"

I can wait to talk to people, and I just ignore my phone while driving. When i stop (at my destination), I check it, and I call back any numbers that called me, or send any reply texts/BBMs I have :)

Stealth13
12-24-2009, 09:49 AM
Originally posted by Vagabond142
I drive manual shift vehicles. All my appendages are in use at any one time in the car, so even if I had a spark of a thought about using my cell while driving, I couldn't.

Then again, this is why I have voicemail. My message says: &quot;Hi, you've reached &lt;my number&gt;. I can't answer the phone right now as I'm most likely driving or in class, so please leave a message and I'll get back to you when I can. Thanks!&quot;

I can wait to talk to people, and I just ignore my phone while driving. When i stop (at my destination), I check it, and I call back any numbers that called me, or send any reply texts/BBMs I have :) yeah my dd is standard, just don't text during a shift and it's fine.

Kuvg
12-24-2009, 10:11 AM
Dont talk or text on a phone in bc after jan 1st, its a $167 ticket.

Vagabond142
12-24-2009, 10:33 AM
Well, there is one number I won't ignore, which is the home phone/dad's cell. They have a special ringer so I will pull over and answer if it goes off. Otherwise, I kinda need to focus on driving as it is... be it driving my dad's tank (GMC Silverado HD 2500 full cab+full bed) or my dinky lil Civic :D

thetransporter
12-24-2009, 07:02 PM
i miss the days of analog phones.

89s1
12-24-2009, 11:41 PM
yeah my dd is standard, just don't text during a shift and it's fine.

The sooner you crash the better as far as I'm concerned.

Just try not to take anyone's life but your own you selfish prick.