PDA

View Full Version : Best Pho in edmonton

Frostiex
12-23-2009, 11:51 AM
Any how, I am gonna be unlucky enough to have to head to edmonton next week. I have heard someone said there is this supposedly best Pho place even topping Pho Dau Bo in Calgary (my fav)...is it true?

I would like to try it out and compare....beef sate is my fav...

GQBalla
12-23-2009, 11:54 AM
thanh thanh noodle house has some pretty fucken good beef sate.

but the whole place is pretty white washed. Servings are small but their sate i find is better than dau bo's

RX_EVOLV
12-23-2009, 05:08 PM
Pagolac :thumbsup: I try to go there at least twice a week.

dj_rice
12-23-2009, 05:26 PM
There is no such thing as BEST PHO in Edmonton, well compared to Calgary. I've had Pho at Noodle 42 in Clareview, complete garbage, the broth tastes sweet and too much licorice (star anise) flavoring :barf: , also had pho inside that place in T & T

Haven't tried Pagolac yet

C4S
12-23-2009, 05:36 PM
Pagolac!! Best pho!

However, don't expect good service and cleanliness...

msommers
12-23-2009, 05:49 PM
Originally posted by C4S

Sounds like a typical great tasting Asian restaurant :rofl: :burnout:

blinkme_210
12-23-2009, 06:06 PM
My fave is La Pagode on 170st & 90ave. It's in a strip mall outside of WEM in the same parking lot of McDicks & BP's.

FarmBoy
01-03-2010, 11:16 AM
La Pagode and Pagolac :thumbsup:

sCream
01-03-2010, 01:17 PM
Pho Tau Bay in china town, and Pho Hoa in chinatown/near south edmonton common

hukgwai
01-03-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by sCream
Pho Tau Bay in china town, and Pho Hoa in chinatown/near south edmonton common

x2... but... the Pho Hoa in South Common isn't as good as downtown... broth is weak, stingy on the veggies, and sprouts are never fresh. Pho Tau Bay is the best, but they have poor ventilation... you will smell like nutmeg and onions when you leave.

sCream
01-03-2010, 05:20 PM
Originally posted by hukgwai

x2... but... the Pho Hoa in South Common isn't as good as downtown... broth is weak, stingy on the veggies, and sprouts are never fresh. Pho Tau Bay is the best, but they have poor ventilation... you will smell like nutmeg and onions when you leave.

yep this is all true too haha

malcolmk14
01-04-2010, 07:40 AM
Originally posted by C4S

He's already in Edmonton, I think the cleanliness part goes without saying.

RX_EVOLV
01-10-2010, 01:00 PM
You know how you can bring your own pot and buy Pho in bulk @ 17ave (ie $20 worth)... anyone know of a similar place in Edm?

Speed_69
01-10-2010, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV
You know how you can bring your own pot and buy Pho in bulk @ 17ave (ie $20 worth)... anyone know of a similar place in Edm?

Where is this place you speak of in Calgary and what's it called?

Weapon_R
01-10-2010, 07:28 PM
I've heard good things about Doans but I've never been

RX_EVOLV
01-10-2010, 08:08 PM
Originally posted by Speed_69

Where is this place you speak of in Calgary and what's it called?

I think a few places on 17ave SW do it but I go to the one in the same mall as Noodle World.. something something Hue. it's a little place inside the mall.

I actually picked up a pot today to bring it back to Edm. You tell them how much you want ( ie $20, $25, $40.. etc or how many ppl you are trying to feed) and they will fill your pot with soup and meat, and give you a crap load of noodles, bean sprouts, limes, etc in a separate bag. its pretty epic :drool:

I bought $20 today and there are probably 6+ bowls worth.

LongCity
01-11-2010, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by RX_EVOLV

I think a few places on 17ave SW do it but I go to the one in the same mall as Noodle World.. something something Hue. it's a little place inside the mall.

I actually picked up a pot today to bring it back to Edm. You tell them how much you want ( ie $20, $25, $40.. etc or how many ppl you are trying to feed) and they will fill your pot with soup and meat, and give you a crap load of noodles, bean sprouts, limes, etc in a separate bag. its pretty epic :drool:

I bought $20 today and there are probably 6+ bowls worth.

Are you sure it's pho? I think you might be talking about bun bo Hue. My mom used to buy from that lady and bring back the giant bucket when we finished. We used to buy the sate sauce from her too. If you brought in like 5 empty glass jars she would discount you on the sauce. This was probably ~4-5 years ago so things may have changed and I may be wrong. I think my aunt bought from her 2 years ago, though.

RX_EVOLV
01-11-2010, 08:54 AM
^^ oh yeh sorry not Pho, but the other type of noodle. But yes it's Bun Bo Hue.

Sorry to me Vietnamese noodle = Pho ;(

dyummy
01-11-2010, 04:04 PM
pho tau bay in chinatown is good but their on vacation half of the year

or co do hue which is located across the parking lot from safeway on 127th street and 137th ave

rtsen
01-12-2010, 10:42 AM
Originally posted by dyummy
pho tau bay in chinatown is good but their on vacation half of the year

or co do hue which is located across the parking lot from safeway on 127th street and 137th ave

Tau Bay is the best in Edmonton but they are currently on vacation until March ##.

RX_EVOLV
01-20-2010, 02:54 PM
Originally posted by rtsen

Tau Bay is the best in Edmonton but they are currently on vacation until March ##.

Thank god I decided to check this thread to get the name before going!! was going to head down there right for for lunch!..

guess it's pagolac again.

littledan
01-20-2010, 07:39 PM
go to la pagode if you like reused tea and water :barf:

liquidboi69
01-20-2010, 11:25 PM
I have yet to find a good place in Edmonton for pho....

I have tried all that has been mentioned in here.

Tau Bay is probably he best tho, but their noodle texture is kind of mushy.

I do not believe it is overdone, since I have gone there like 5 times, and everytime its like this. I believe its the brand of noodles they use. Also portions are small ass for the price.

For reference sakes, my favs in Calg are

Pho Dau Bo
Basil
Pho Thanh
Sunny's

LongCity
09-26-2011, 02:53 PM
Bumping an old threat!
I now have to live in this shitty city because of school so just seeing if there are any new opinions.

Been to Pho Delight on Whyte Ave - not impressed. 8.50 for what would be a small in Calgary. Didn't taste like pho although not too bad.

Been to Pagolac by the industrial park. Stupid Chinese lady arguing with me telling me that the Hu Tieu sate was pho sate. Completely different dish with different types of noodles used. You can have dry Hu Tieu as well... So I opted for the pho tai and just added in sate sauce. No impressed.

Most recently had Pho Hoan Pasteur. I ordered the pho sate and don't know what the fuck I ate. It was peanut based, which some places use, but it was like a stew. The broth was thick, and had just enough to cover the top of the noodles, lemony (weird, didn't squeeze lemon in till after) and sort of sweet. Not impressed either.

Will try Tau Bay in the future as well as CoDo.

K3RMiTdot
09-26-2011, 08:26 PM
i love the one by 97street, right beside the subway... i cant remember what its called. speaking of which i want some nowws/

LongCity
09-27-2011, 12:39 AM
Not sure which one that is (too lazy to search haha) but I visited Pho Anh off Whitemud on 106th this evening and it wasn't too bad. One size only, though, which kinda sucks but the soup was not bad. Lacking a bit of the pho flavour but better than the other ones I've tried so far.

AzNxHyDrA
09-27-2011, 01:10 AM
at Pagolac I just get the special and ask for the satay soup which isnt too bad. All i know is the pho in west ed has the worst fucking service ever. I was not impressed when the lady at west ed completely ignored me when I told her she gave me the wrong order.

boarderfatty
09-27-2011, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by LongCity
Bumping an old threat!
I now have to live in this shitty city because of school so just seeing if there are any new opinions.

Been to Pho Delight on Whyte Ave - not impressed. 8.50 for what would be a small in Calgary. Didn't taste like pho although not too bad.

Been to Pagolac by the industrial park. Stupid Chinese lady arguing with me telling me that the Hu Tieu sate was pho sate. Completely different dish with different types of noodles used. You can have dry Hu Tieu as well... So I opted for the pho tai and just added in sate sauce. No impressed.

Most recently had Pho Hoan Pasteur. I ordered the pho sate and don't know what the fuck I ate. It was peanut based, which some places use, but it was like a stew. The broth was thick, and had just enough to cover the top of the noodles, lemony (weird, didn't squeeze lemon in till after) and sort of sweet. Not impressed either.

Will try Tau Bay in the future as well as CoDo.

If you don't care for Tau Bay you might as well give up on finding good Pho in Edmonton. It is my personal favorite in Edmonton, I am white though. I have heard from many viet friends though that it is about as good as you get in edmonton without making your own. Their sign even says "The Most Famous Vietnamese Beef & Chicken Noodle Soup"

I went there about 2 weeks ago, it has gone a little downhill in the last few years, but is still far better than other options imo

LongCity
09-27-2011, 05:50 PM
I didn't say I don't care for it... My last sentence said that I will try it in the future.

boarderfatty
09-27-2011, 07:20 PM
Originally posted by LongCity
I didn't say I don't care for it... My last sentence said that I will try it in the future.

I know that, I meant if you try it and don't care for it.

LongCity
09-27-2011, 08:39 PM
Ahhh ok, I think I had a friend mention that place as well so hopefully it is good.
I usually avoid places with the gimmicky claim of supremacy like Basil "Ultimate" Pho and what you mentioned about Tau Bay being the most famous. I'm sure outside of Edmonton no one has ever heard of them.

dj_rice
09-27-2011, 09:00 PM
I wait until I go back to Calgary to have pho/Viet subs and bubble tea. Its that bad here. :rofl:

LongCity
09-30-2011, 02:33 PM
But if you had to, where would you go?

CompletelyNumb
09-30-2011, 06:12 PM
I spent the last 2 days in Edmonton, so I decided to check a couple of these places out.

The best pho I had was at Pagolac. Very good broth, generous on the meat, herbs were fresh. Only compliant was they gave me an awesul lot of noodles, which seemed mushy. I was very happy. And they had avacado milkshakes so that just takes the cake ;)

I also went to Pho Tau Bay. The noodle quantity and quality were better, but the broth tasted more like a generic beef broth. I probably wouldn't go back there if I didn't have to. Plus it's cash only :s

[Yu]
09-30-2011, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by CompletelyNumb
I spent the last 2 days in Edmonton, so I decided to check a couple of these places out.

The best pho I had was at Pagolac. Very good broth, generous on the meat, herbs were fresh. Only compliant was they gave me an awesul lot of noodles, which seemed mushy. I was very happy. And they had avacado milkshakes so that just takes the cake ;)

I also went to Pho Tau Bay. The noodle quantity and quality were better, but the broth tasted more like a generic beef broth. I probably wouldn't go back there if I didn't have to. Plus it's cash only :s

Wow, tastes sure are very subjective haha.

I for one am completely opposite of you. I dislike Pagolac a lot, and completely enjoy Tau Bay much more.