PDA

View Full Version : Never Fix your tire at Kal Tire!

guessboi
12-23-2009, 05:19 PM
Just a heads up to everyone.

2 of my summer tires were recently patched and they scratched my rims and they would not admit to it.

I called their head office and complain about it over the course of the 2 weeks.
This guy Don called me back and advised their general manger came to check out the damage and they said they didn't do it.

He basically told me how good their machines are and how it will never scratches my rims. BTW the tires are low profile 205/40/17.
If you need a patch, don't go to Kal Tire.

I like how some businesses don't trust their customers and won't even admit to their mistake.

I am going to see if I can pursue further and file a claim against commercial insurance garage policy.

Location of this shop.
Kal Tire - Calgary - Marlborough Mall
1600 -3800 Memorial Dr. NE Calgary

:banghead:

Mibz
12-23-2009, 05:22 PM
Maybe if your 205/40s weren't so damn low profile they wouldn't have scratched your rims.

Seriously though, the Northhill location GOUGED my winter wheels putting my tires on and then didn't own up to shit either. I gave up because they were just winters but it's a shitty feeling, for sure.

guessboi
12-23-2009, 05:34 PM
^ I know but also forgot to mention the other rim is 205/50/16.

and that one got the biggest hit from their machines.

max_boost
12-23-2009, 05:35 PM
Oh that sucks man. Now does this usually come down to the individual performing the job or is it the machine or what? Or is it because it's the NE? j/k on that.

How bad is the scratch? pics?

Supa Dexta
12-23-2009, 05:40 PM
Can you ask to look the rims over with a manager or something first? Kind of like an apartment walk thru.. Note any damage before hand and sign off on it?

G
12-23-2009, 05:43 PM
Option import patched 3 tires for me absolutely the best guys to go to. In and out in less than 10 minutes.

msommers
12-23-2009, 05:59 PM
The Kal-Tire in Vista Heights (2363 - 20th Avenue N.E. ) is awesome!

01RedDX
12-23-2009, 06:36 PM

guessboi
12-23-2009, 06:55 PM
^ yeah never again. too bad I believe Bob doesn't do patches. and yes should have gone to CMS or something. I called their Kal Tire head office to complain again and hope it will push my complain to upper management.

max...I don't have the rims on hand, will take pics if they do nothing.

even my suzuki dealership few yrs back take my word for it when they scratched my stock rims.

both these rims scratched are aftermarkets...

Vagabond142
12-23-2009, 07:03 PM
There's a reason I left Kal Tire when I worked at the F.I.P. one a few years back.

I would watch my fellow workers not give a shit, just work along like monkeys. And when an expensive car came in with nice rims, or aftermarkets with high end stiff low profiles, it was either the floor manager or myself that had to do them (and they are a right BITCH to do), because the floor manager didn't trust anyone else.

When I told him I was quitting, I will not forget what he said to me: "Out of all the years I've been working here, you're one of the few that actually gave a shit. Sorry to see you go, man."

Not trying to badmouth the company, but really, there were some pretty low people working there when I was. Low as in not caring about their work or the quality of service :\

sillysod
12-23-2009, 07:13 PM
ive used poor boys in forest lawn a few times and honestly they have been awsome.

cash jobs etc, but they do good work

FYI although UrbanExpressions is awsome they don't patch tires.

inline6turbo
12-23-2009, 07:14 PM
Sorry they wouldn't own up to it.... perhaps maybe a disgruntled ex employee would be willing to go with you and prove they did it and how? Just throwing that out there... ;)

Zero102
12-23-2009, 10:25 PM
The Kal Tire on edmonton trail NE has been great to me and did absolutely no damage to my rim when I had a flat tire patched there. In the thread I started for this a couple people complained about the Marlborough location. It seems to be pretty hit and miss with those guys. Worth mentioning, they patch flat tires for free, so sometimes you get what you paid for.

SportEL
12-23-2009, 10:34 PM
I got my tire patched up before winter at the 32 Ave location with no problem. It was free. But it was on a steel rim so I didn't have to worry if the rim would get damaged or not.

jayman1
12-23-2009, 10:38 PM
I went into the Kal Tire the day after we had that shithole of a storm (Saturday) looking to get an appt for new snow tires. Then the guy says that they could get me in on the next day, but the shop is closed (Sunday) during one of the busiest times they will have all fucking year? Pathetic! This was the Chinook location but i'd assume all are the same hr wise.

KandabashiDevil
12-23-2009, 11:17 PM
Since when are 40 & 50 series sidewalls "low profile"?

Definitely chase Kal Tire for this one! No excuse to scratch the wheels.

Originally posted by jayman1
Then the guy says that they could get me in on the next day, but the shop is closed (Sunday) during one of the busiest times they will have all fucking year? Pathetic!

No.
What's pathetic is how you expect them to open up and do your tires on a Sunday.

I quoted your post as proof that the customer is NOT always right.

black13
12-23-2009, 11:24 PM
Wow, just couple weeks ago when they were putting on my winters, Kal-tire called me up to say one of my Pirrelli tires shredded or something like that when they were taking it off the old rims. Wanted me to pay half the price of a new tire and I said no.

In the end they brought it down to me just paying $20 for another brand. Yea I'm never going there again.

FraserB
12-24-2009, 12:25 AM
Went for an alignment, got told it would be $600 to replace the unit bearings that were "bad", tried to charge me an inspection fee when I demanded my keys back. Too bad the bearings were brand new a week before.

But they did do a great job sipping my tires, quick too.

TomcoPDR
12-24-2009, 12:31 AM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil

QFT I agree, or just not all customers are right (in certain cases)

Lucky97
12-24-2009, 12:35 AM
i took a tire to the foot hills location this morning to it patc. i droped it off in the morning and i got a call back about an hour later and told me that the wheel is ready to be picked up. so i go pick it up at lunch time and the dude told me that the wheel was put on a different car. i asked him how do you fuck up on something like that. but anyways i was told to wait till the next day when he can get a hold of the owner who has the wheel.

i will never take any rim/tire to a kal tire ever again. just a rant

guessboi
12-24-2009, 01:24 AM
Originally posted by inline6turbo
Sorry they wouldn't own up to it.... perhaps maybe a disgruntled ex employee would be willing to go with you and prove they did it and how? Just throwing that out there... ;)

Thanks for the offer Renee, lol. they actually told me on the phone how they did it and how all their machines have that rubber part that you told me. I called that BS.
I will keep you guys updated on this and will post pics on a nice sunny day. lol.

D. Dub
12-24-2009, 10:45 AM
I've used the Kal Tire at North Hill many times and they've been very friendly, helpful efficient and honest -- really nice because it's right beside North Hill Station for a quick train ride downtown

Shlade
12-24-2009, 03:41 PM
yep kal tire sucks... all punks working there... i would know my buddy worked at one.. he admitted to me to scratching almost every rim at his shop on 130th ave... yep yep they wont admit it but they sure will screw your rims up!

g-m
12-24-2009, 06:01 PM
man I take pictures of all my shit if I'm ever forced to let someone else do it. Pictures with a cell phone with a date in the pic, or a newspaper, or magazine, parking receipt, ANYTHING that has the date on it and I try to get their shop in the background.

I don't trust any so called mechanics in calgary. I learned how to do my own shit so I didn't have to deal with it

Hamann
12-24-2009, 11:13 PM
:dunno:

I always go to the one on Edmonton Trail, always get awesome service...

I've taken all my vehicles there, my mustang didn't exactly have "low profile" tires (255/40's) but they never scratched the Cobra R's I had on it, and I was fucking anal about my first Mustang.

Guess its hit and miss with locations or something...

Rat Fink
12-25-2009, 02:21 AM

vipstyle2
12-25-2009, 10:43 AM
if it was scratched previously, the front desk will make a note of it when they bring the rims in.
november 23 i think, i purchased 2 tires, waited nearly 2 weeks and never came in , while there they fucked on guys tpms, one woman said her leather seat wasnt ripped before,this was at edmonton trail, so many problems gaaahh

kolumbo69
12-25-2009, 11:13 AM
I went to the one in the foothills industrial and some god damn grease monkey was to god damn lazy to cover my Sparco Sprints properly and got grease and dirt all up the one side.:banghead: They just gave me the run around

dphillips
12-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil
Since when are 40 & 50 series sidewalls "low profile"?

Definitely chase Kal Tire for this one! No excuse to scratch the wheels.

No.
What's pathetic is how you expect them to open up and do your tires on a Sunday.

Ha. I was there probably the same day as the guy you quoted. On the Saturday. So, during a crazy snowstorm, with customers lined up and the phones ringing off the hook, they close down the next day? A Sunday? Unreal. Closing down shop during the summer I can see, but not in the middle of a snowstorm. Clock your hours, and make money. Btw. this isn't a crack at the guys working at the shop, but management.

guessboi
12-29-2009, 03:35 PM
so the general manager called today instead of the assistant manager. SAME BS. can't do nothing, must be the debris on the road,etc, etc...ie. no way they can damage my rims...

I am going to take pics before I get it repaired. stay tune guys.

STAY AWAY FROM KAL TIRES UNLESS YOU WANT SCRATCHED RIMS AND BAD BUSINESS PRACTICE.

canuckcarguy
12-29-2009, 04:36 PM
I figure there's 2 ways to discourage damage at the shop. First, always bring your car in clean - they're way more likely to treat the car well if it looks well cared for. Second, I take pictures of the rims in their parking lot on my cell phone before I give them the keys, and point out any pre-existing damage - that way they know I'm familiar with my car and will notice any new damage.

It's always worked for me. I haven't dealt with Kal for a while, but I always got good service and good pricing there in the past.