PDA

View Full Version : Volv s40 - inferior technology.

RacingVolvo
12-24-2009, 12:29 AM
I would like to advise others about the previous generation Volvo S40's fuel economy. I bought this car because I thought its motor would have superior fuel economy. However when I finally checked the mpg, it was the same as the 2006 3.3L Hyundai Sonata V6. The Volvo uses a 1.9L 4 cylinder and a reasonable person could conclude (falsely) that this would be highly economical.

picmerollin
12-24-2009, 09:22 AM
Its all in how you drive.

I can get sometimes ~100 more km's out of a tank of fuel then my gf can, in both her 2.5l jetta or my xterra (and previous vehicles- 350z, old cobalt she had or any other car in the world)

Its all about the right foot and how you use it. Generally in the winter fuel economy goes down due to a combo of cold weather, warm up time, more power needed to get through snow and of course winter fuel additives.

It may also be an indication that something is wrong with the car, perhaps a partially clogged catalytic converter or fouled spark plugs.

One other thing to mention. This summer I picked up a 2001 xterra with low km's. The first few tanks were terrible but after new fluids and a few highway trips camping the MPG's greatly increased.

I have a buddy who had an s40 and that thing was great on fuel- his was fwd, the awd ones will use more fuel.

this site is one I use to make sure my rides are within range of what they should get, also makes a great tool when shopping around and comparing vehicles.

http://www.fueleconomy.gov

scat19
12-24-2009, 09:29 AM
Stop feeding the trolls.

So many beyonders get sucked in.

revelations
12-24-2009, 12:26 PM
I recommend adding water to your Volvos gas tank.