PDA

View Full Version : A790's Year Long Transformation

Pages : [1] 2

A790
12-24-2009, 02:22 AM
If you read my five month challenge thread (http://forums.beyond.ca/st/233787/the-5-month-challenge-whos-with-me-completed-updates-inside/) you'll already know that I lost a bunch of weight last year from Oct 2008 till Feb 2009. Now, it's time to step it up again.

This year (2010), the goal is to hit 220lbs @ 11% body fat. As of this morning I am 221lbs @ 15%.

I have devised my strategy into three core elements: diet/nutrition, workout routine, and supplemental activities.

Diet/Nutrition:

From January until late February I will be cutting. My plan is three main meals per day, with two minor meals and one snack to supplement. I will follow a strict (and bland) diet:

+++Meal one:
- chicken breast, 1 cup broccoli, seven grain rice. 600 calories, 55g protein, 19g carbs.

+++Meal two:
- tuna, two slices whole wheat toast, glass of milk. 490 calories, 44g protein, 20g carbs.

+++Meal three:
- steak or salmon fillet, snow peas, green beans. 600 calories, 55g protein, 15g carbs.

+++Minor one:
- protein shake with strawberries/banana or blueberries/blackberries, orange juice. 320 calories, 30g protein, 15g carbs.

+++Minor two:
- orange, glass of milk, maybe a banana if I'm feeling munchy. 200 calories, 11g protein, 8g carbs.

Total daily caloric intake: 2,210 (not including additional juice/milk/small snacks. Budgeted additional 400 calories for those).

Total daily protein: 195g

Total daily carbs: 77g (this is gonna SUCK).

My BMR is 2,600 calories. I estimate I'll go from 220lbs (currently) to 215 by end of February. That's roughly 0.83lb/week.

From March until late April I will bulk. My diet will consist of three main peals per day, with three minor meals and one snack to supplement. I will follow a slightly less restrictive diet:

Meals one through three will be the same as my cut, but with the addition of a glass of milk (+130 calories, 9g protein, 9g carbs per meal). Snacks will remain the same, not including the addition of a second protein shake and some beef jerky every now and again.

Daily caloric intake: 3,400 calories.

Daily protein: 275g

Daily carbs: 130g

By the end of April I should be roughly 220lbs again, though I'm hoping to be down a point of body fat. At that time I'll maintain until mid-May, where I'll once again cut. This time I'll get to maybe 217 and then I'll hold it. Body fat by this point should be 13%. Come end of August I'll bulk again, hopefully hitting 223 by mid-October. Then, come November, I'll cut right through the holidays. Ideally, I'll be 220lbs @ 11% January 1, 2011.

Workout routine:

My workout is going to be simple as I'll be following 5/3/1.

Supplemental activities:

During the winter I will be varying my cardio up, alternating between treadmill, recumbent bike, and squash. During the spring/summer/early fall I will be roller blading, running, hiking, and other outside activities.

Should be good. I've decided to refocus and just hit a solid body weight with some decent mass/size. Would like to be benching 235lbs for reps (at least 3 x 8), squatting 325lbs for reps (3 x 8), dead lifting 365 for reps (3 x 8) by June 2011. Hoping to hit at least 85% of those numbers by January.

bigbadboss101
12-24-2009, 08:33 AM
Looks good. Your dedication will get you there and beyond.

Oz-
12-24-2009, 08:57 AM
Good on you for posting this and keeping the log updated for 2010. Not sure if you considered it, but a Timed Carb Diet (TCD) may be up your alley. When I used it, I was recomping and doing the unexpected dropping bf% and gaining LBM. It is a slow process, but I had body composition tests every 3 months to provide me with objective results.

For more info IronAddict has a nice little post on this.
http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24495&postcount=1

Other then that, I have a feeling your strength goals should be falling this year as well. Especially, if you stick to the 5/3/1 program.

scat19
12-24-2009, 09:28 AM
A790 - I HATE cooking. hate hate hate.

I like your meal's, something that I could perhaps do myself. Can you make all your meals for the week? For 5 days? How do you make it easier on yourself.

A790
12-24-2009, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by bigbadboss101
Looks good. Your dedication will get you there and beyond.
Thanks bud!

Originally posted by Oz-
Good on you for posting this and keeping the log updated for 2010. Not sure if you considered it, but a Timed Carb Diet (TCD) may be up your alley. When I used it, I was recomping and doing the unexpected dropping bf% and gaining LBM. It is a slow process, but I had body composition tests every 3 months to provide me with objective results.

For more info IronAddict has a nice little post on this.
http://www.ironaddicts.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24495&postcount=1

Other then that, I have a feeling your strength goals should be falling this year as well. Especially, if you stick to the 5/3/1 program.
I'm going to look into a TCD- sounds like something that may be beneficial. As far as stength goals, I'm already not too far off most of them (bench 210 for reps, squat 280 for reps, dead 300 for reps). I know that the constant cycle of cutting will reduce strength gains, but I'm hoping that persistence and carb loading during my bulking phases will help. Any suggestions? Is 5/3/1 not ideal for what I'mt trying to do?

Originally posted by scat19
A790 - I HATE cooking. hate hate hate.

I like your meal's, something that I could perhaps do myself. Can you make all your meals for the week? For 5 days? How do you make it easier on yourself.
The meals I posted are an example, I will be branching off to other things of similar caloric values and macro nutritional values. Everything that I eat is *very* easy to cook and all take less than 30 minutes assuming that everything is thawed and ready to go.

I'll update with other meals as I eat em... NOM NOM!

The_Rural_Juror
12-24-2009, 12:27 PM
Good job A790.

dansmith11
12-24-2009, 12:31 PM
i dunno what 5/3/1 looks like..

but take a look at

http://www.hypertrophy-specific.com/hst_index.html

i always had great success at adding mass and increasing my max lifts by bulking on this program (its not really a set program.. you can design the program with any lifts you want, just apply the HST principles to the way you setup your rep/weights. .. if you build a program centered around big compound lifts, you cant really go wrong.

its so hard to know what program to do, theres so much out there and everything works different for different people.. but personally i really liked HST

max_boost
12-24-2009, 01:22 PM
Awesome guy! I wish I can be as committed as you guys, just don't got it going right now.

Darkane
12-24-2009, 05:23 PM
Nice, will be following this log.

I think what Oz meant is that your goals of reaching those strength numbers won't be hard.

5/3/1 is a good program, even while cutting.

Some advise I'd offer is with the Timed carb dieting, do all carbs based around the workout. Pre and during.

No need for carbs post-workout. Just a whey shake and some leucine.

77g carbs/day isn't that bad.

As well some of your meal numbers seem a little funky. Meal one for example shouldn't be much more than 350-400 cals.

You put 600 cals but 55pro = 220cals, 19carbs = 76 cals. Rice has no fat and would equal about 75-100 cals.

As well it looks like your carbs calculations are off on the snacks and stuff. A 250ml glass of milk contains 14g of carbs by itself, and an orange is about 15g.

A large<er> banana is upwards of 30 carbs, and for a fruit fairly high on the GI scale.

For fruit berries are the best bet. And if you can, cut out the milk. It's not the best for males.

Here's a little list of carbs to apply as you lean out:

1) Green veggies
2) Berries/Coloured veggies
3) Orange family of fruit and apples/pears
4) All fruits
5) Oats, yams, rice (Darker the better)
6) White carbs (rice, bread, pasta)
7) Sugars

Oh and lastly watch out for "jucies". They can be upwards of 25g sugar/250ml.

Crystal light works as an excellent substitute.

You'll reach your goals man, hit it hard.

Oz-
12-24-2009, 06:12 PM
Darkane hit the nail on the head. With the 5/3/1 my feeling is that you will likely break those strength goals during the year even if you are "cutting".

If you have your diet on point and you are using the 5/3/1 program, you may have to utilize extra steady state cardio and a couple of days of HIIT. This is just from my experience, of course your mileage may vary.

Jlude
12-24-2009, 08:57 PM
I'm doing this same thing starting Jan 1st 2010.

I'm take progress pictures and detail my progress as well.

You've seen some amazing results, Cam.

core_upt
12-31-2009, 02:43 PM
(THREAD HIJACK – tell me to GTFO if you’d rather me start me own thread – just figured it’s easier to consolidate…)

I am looking to get into a more solid program than my current 'lift whatever, eat whatever'. I followed Cam’s last thread closely and am looking for similar guidance here…

Background: I have been in and out of the gym for several years, all at very degrees of commitment. I have seen some good gains, and have maintained decently. I was about 222lbs at the beginning of 2009, dropped to 198 in August (wedding) and have climbed back up a bit since

Stats: 6’2”; currently 205lbs.

Goals: Weight: 185 – 190lbs, maintain current muscle… I don’t want to be huge, just lean out a bit over the next 3 months.

Nutritional Plan

Around 2,000 calories a day
270g protein (60%), 100g carbs (20%), 55g fat (20%)

Sample Meals:
7AM
Protein Shake
1/2 cup yogurt (plain, non-fat)
1/2 cup berries
1/2 tsp sugar

10AM
2 eggs poached
1 slice sprouted wheat bread

12PM
8 oz cooked chicken breast
2 cups spinach
Olives, tomatoes, cucumbers and feta cheese w/ dressing

3PM
1 can tuna w/ mustard and hot sauce
1 slice sprouted what bread

4:30 PM WORKOUT

6PM
1 protein shake
A few crackers for some quick carbs

7PM
8 oz cooked chicken breast
1 cup broccoli
1/2 cup carrots
1/2 cup brown rice

Notes on diet: I don’t eat red meat, so just fish/poultry; I am allergic to nuts/peanuts, which sucks for finding quick protein; I tend to have sugar cravings after any carb-intense meal, so I am trying to keep my carb intake low-glycemic and spread throughout the day; I don’t drink any pop or juice really (aside from Coke Zero on occasion); alcohol will be a minimum over the next while.

Workouts

Monday (chest/tris)
DB Flat Bench Press 3 x 6
Dips 3 x 10
DB Incline Bench Press 3 x 8
Tricep extensions 3 x 10
Pushups (close and regular stance) 3 x 15

Tuesday
Cardio 30-45 mins, elliptical
Stretch
Balance
Abs -

Wednesday (back/bis)
Pulls-ups 3 x 8
DB bent over row 3 x 6
Seated Row 3 x 8
DB curls 3 x 6
DB preacher Curl 3 x 6

Thursday
Cardio 30-45 mins, elliptical
Stretch
Balance – BOSU ball work
Abs - 10 mins or so, a variety of crunches, swiss ball jackknives, etc…

Friday (legs/shoulders)
Squats 3 x 8
DB Shoulder press 3 x 5
Deadlifts 3 x 8
Rear delt flys 3 x 8
Seated Calf Raise 3 x 10
Upright Rows 3 x 8

Saturday or Sunday
Squash, downhill skiing, cross country skiing. biking, tennis – something light, fun and active.

Notes on Workout: still have knee issues, so weight bearing exercises on my knee are tough – progress here will be slow; knee injury also affects running, but as it heals, I will look into running on my cardio days and adding in HIIT.

So, my big concerns are:
- is it better to do a muscle grouping split like I have outlined above, or is a three day – full body workout best? I seem to have better results by concentrating on just one grouping per lifting day but an open to a circuit style routine…
- my calorie intake will likely be a bit higher on lifting days, but it seems like a lot of food and not a lot at the same time…. I will carefully monitor what I eat over the next few weeks to see how it actually compares to the plan.

Any tips, pointers, suggestions? Again, the goal for the next three months will be cutting – losing fat%, maintaining muscle/minimumizing muscle loss.

A790
01-01-2010, 10:22 PM
JANUARY 1, 2010 UPDATE

First day with weights is tomorrow, so today I decided to hit the treadmill and burn off some of the excess calories I've taken in during the last few days (new years dinners, yum yum!).

Stats:
Distance - 2.65 miles
Calories - 380 calories
Time - 22 minutes

Works out to roughly 17 calories/minute. Given that I am mildly hungover, and had eaten a massive meal 1.5 hours prior, not too shabby. Tomorrow is a pull gym day (deads, chins, curls, abs, etc.). Looking forward to starting the new year off with some momentum!

Also, how does everyone feel about shrimp? 3 oz = 90 calories, 18g of protein, almost no carbs. Seems like a great high protein snack!

RecoilS14
01-02-2010, 10:37 AM
Shrimp is fuckin awesome yo

A790
01-02-2010, 11:31 AM
Would have gone to the gym today, but only got 5 hours of sleep last night so I've decided to go tomorrow when I'm running on a full tank. Also decided to start a timed carb diet tomorrow as well.

Been doing lots of reading on TCD's (thanks Oz-!) and have concluded that it will be good to cut with without sacrificing any muscle mass. Will update as it progresses :)

kutt3r
01-02-2010, 01:35 PM
Originally posted by A790
Would have gone to the gym today, but only got 5 hours of sleep last night so I've decided to go tomorrow when I'm running on a full tank. Also decided to start a timed carb diet tomorrow as well.

Been doing lots of reading on TCD's (thanks Oz-!) and have concluded that it will be good to cut with without sacrificing any muscle mass. Will update as it progresses :)

Looks solid A790. TCD and 5/3/1 will work great.

If you get stuck on diet check out Redpoint, I was on it a while before I started working with IA. I know Oz is/was on there as well.

Good Luck and keep up the solid work.

KRyn
01-02-2010, 01:49 PM
A790 you should change up your before bed time meal to include some cottage cheese. Although a little bit more expensive, it is a great slow release protein that will have you feeling full the night. Everything looks solid and I am excited to see the results. I am going to start a little cut cycle as well, thanks for the motivation.

A790
01-03-2010, 12:52 PM
JANUARY 3, 2010 UPDATE

Hit the gym this morning after a bit of a munch-out fest on popcorn last night (mmm). Was definitely fueled up and ready to go. I haven't been to the gym since December 19, so the lat 14 days have been a good deload for me. My diet kind of went to shit too, but with Christmas/New Years there wasn't much avoiding it. I tried to be good.

Weighed in at 216lbs, though I hadn't had any carbs since around 10 pm last night (went to bed at 2), so I'm probably around 218-220 carbed up.

I set some goals that I felt were realistic given my time away from the gym:

Dead: 265lbs (2 x 8)
Pull ups: B/W (2 x 8)
Oblique Crunch: 70lbs (2 x 8)
One arm row: 85lbs (2 x 8)
Alt. Hammer Curl: 55lbs (1 x 8)

I wound up hitting all of those numbers pretty solidly, probably could have gone up by 15lbs on the dead, 10lbs on the oblique and 5lbs on the row. Each exercise had two warm up sets as well. I was pretty happy with those numbers, as I know once I get back in gear I'll be at least 10-15% higher across the board in a couple of weeks.

Overall I'm happy and am pretty optimistic. I'm really trying to nail a good TCD down.

:)

EDIT:

Damn, this diet is going to be rough. So far today I've consumed 953 calories, 79.2g carbs, 86.2g protein. Anyone know of any low-carb, high protein/fat focused foods?

civic_rida
01-03-2010, 07:17 PM
Wow good luck man.
I couldnt consume under 80g of carbs.
Im taking in 400g of carbs a day

lint
01-03-2010, 07:27 PM
most seafood (cod, tilapila, sole, scallops, crab, lobster etc) wil be high in protein and low in carbs and fat. some beef jerkys, egg whites, cottage cheese or dry curd, other low fat cheeses. watch the serving sizes. that's mostly all I ate to drop 25+ lbs in the past 7 weeks. keeping under 80g carbs a day is easy. under 30 is tough.

Oz-
01-03-2010, 08:43 PM
A quick list that I have used in the past. Don't have the nutritional data on me, but I am sure you can look that up.

- Almond Butter
- Almonds
- Cottage Cheese
- Coconut oil
- Olive oil
- Various cheese
- Fish and Fish oil (tilapia is my fav.)

A790
01-03-2010, 09:28 PM
So today wound up looking like this:

2,544 calories
121.7g fat
131.3g carbs
220.6g protein

So, not too shabby but still need to work on getting those carbs below 100g.

Darkane
01-04-2010, 06:09 PM
So today wound up looking like this:

2,544 calories
121.7g fat
131.3g carbs
220.6g protein

So, not too shabby but still need to work on getting those carbs below 100g.

Shrimp are excellent. Good for Testosterone production.

So Protein/Fat foods to enjoy:

-Big bowl of spinach leaves, chopped up chicken breast, hand full of crushed walnuts and dressing of choice (choose an oily one with no sugar). That there is rad.

-The classic bowl of extra lean ground beef with Cheese on top. Saute the beef, add spices (I like rosemary, thyme, oregano, sea salt, pepper 2 small shots of worcestershire sauce as well). Strain the fat, put in a bowl top with low fat or full fat cheddar and bask in the low carb glory.

-2 cans of tuna with olive oil based mayo. Easy as fuck.

-Eggs just do it.

Random:

Cheese
Steak
Ground beef
Bison
chicken
Fish
Egg whites

If you're in a real hurry try this 'meal' out. Buy egg white cartons from superstore (2bucks for the 500ml). Drink it raw (no issues don't worry) and take 2 tablespoons of olive oil.

That right there is 50g protein and 28g fat. 450cals in 30 seconds.

One thing I'm loving right now is my rendition of bodybuilder jello. Take some sugar free Jello, add in fruit punch flavor BCAA boost from trueprotein and down that shit. Takes care of the sweet tooth.

Get the caffeinated BCAA boost and do it just before fasted cardio.

Oz-
01-04-2010, 06:32 PM
One that I also forgot about and got from the guys over at redpointfitness.

Heavy whipping cream. The stuff in a carton. I down it with my protein shakes and does it ever make it taste amazing...

A790
01-04-2010, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Oz-
One that I also forgot about and got from the guys over at redpointfitness.

Heavy whipping cream. The stuff in a carton. I down it with my protein shakes and does it ever make it taste amazing...
Haha thanks for the tips guys. Only on this kind of diet would I even CONSIDER drinking whipped cream :P

Diet today looks like it's going to work out to:

2,800 calories
145g fat
85-90g carbs
220g protein

Currently sitting at:

1,583 calories
100.4g fat
52.4g carbs
119.1g protein

Still have roughly 200g of chicken to eat, plus 2 cups of milk, and some smoke oysters :P NOM NOM

Oh, and more cheese :D

Darkane
01-04-2010, 08:16 PM
^If you absolutely can't go without milk try to substitute it with Balkan yogurt.

Those 2 cups of milk will add 28 carbs at a inopportune time. Or just eat more cheese :)

A790
01-06-2010, 12:04 AM
Mini-update today:

Had dinner at my moms, so didn't really get to control the calories there. Everyone knows you can't say no to moms cooking :poosie:

Still, today wasn't TOO bad. Hitting the gym tomorrow so I'm taking some carbs today + tomorrow for fuel. Macros wound up being:

3,071 calories
159.2g fat
156.2g carbs
200.2g protein

Not bad for a carb day. :)

A790
01-06-2010, 08:28 PM
Quick update today:

Going for wings with some buddies so I'm calling this another carb day. Hit the gym as well so I don't feel too bad. Macro's wound up looking like this:

4058 calories (OUCH!)
248.9g fat (WOAH)
143.2g carbs (less than yesterday... heh)
307.7g protein

Gym look like:

Flat bench: 210lbs (2 x 8)
Lunge: 60lbs (2 x 8 per leg)
Decline: 190lbs (2 x 8)
Seated calf raise: 160lbs (2 x 12)
DB press: 50lbs (2 x 8)

Weights were a little low, but that's to be expected since I took a 2.5 week break from them.

Going to hit some steady-state cardio tomorrow for at least 400 calories.

core_upt
01-07-2010, 04:50 PM
A790 - do you work out at MRC??

A790
01-07-2010, 08:18 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
A790 - do you work out at MRC??
No sir, Gagne Fitness.

Diet update for today:

Currently in training for my new job, so it's hard to stick to this thing since the cafeteria there is quite limited. However, today has been pretty decent. Macros have, thus far, worked out to:

1,966 calories
107.1g fat
100.6g carbs
145.3g protein

Going to be having a 200g chicken breast and 0.5cup of cheese in about an hour or so, adding another 589 calories, 30.6g of fat, 2.7g of carbs, and 71.6g of protein to the mix. Total for the day will sit around 2,700 calories, 140g fat, 103g carbs, and 220g protein.

Interestingly enough, I weighed in at 216lbs at the gym yesterday (at approximately 6:15pm). Weighed myself in this morning at 214lbs. My strength hasn't really gone down, so I'm hoping that maybe I'm starting to see some fat take off. I know that body weight varies quite a bit during the day, but I'm going to see what the average is for the next week and base my measurements that way. At the end of January I'm going to have a six point caliper BF% test done. :)

A790
01-08-2010, 11:22 PM
Bolero = diet fail.

Gym tomorrow, will update :)

EDIT: Should have said "Bolero + 12 cookies = diet fail". Mmmmmm.

Darkane
01-09-2010, 05:15 PM
Bolero + Leg day = Win.

A790
01-09-2010, 06:00 PM
Today's going ROCK SOLID, unlike my Bolero/Cookie-induced fail that was yesterday.

Macro's look like this so far:

1,929 calories
98.7g fat
71.9 carbs
182.2g protein

Going out for dinner tonight, going to have a glass of wine. I'm guestimating somewhere around 2,800 calories/130g fat/90g carbs/240g protein by end day.

Gym was decent today. My lower back is *still* sore from deads last Monday, so I skipped dead lifts today.

Chins: 10lbs (2 x 8, 1 x 4)
Hanging leg raise: 3 x 12
Bent row: 140lbs (3 x 8)
Weighted crunch: 55lbs (2 x 12)
Preacher 21's: 55lbs (1 x 21)

Followed my workout immediately with 1 cup of milk, and then a protein shake (275 calories, 4.5g fat, 14.5g carbs, 40g protein) about 20 minutes after.

Weighed in at 217.2lbs. Feeling pretty consistent, seems I've lost a few pounds worth of water :)

A790
01-10-2010, 10:28 PM
Woah. Yesterday I was kicking ass and taking names with the diet. Then, for whatever reason, I decided to get completely wasted. At least five glasses of wine, seven shots. ... ugh.

Woke up today hungover as hell. Decided today was going to be a carb up today, going to hit the gym hard tomorrow.

Macros:

2,732 calories
151.5g fat
172.5g carbs
164.8g protein

Tomorrow = squat day. :)

A790
01-10-2010, 10:41 PM
How low should I be going for carbs? I've been reading that some guys stay under 40g carbs! How is that even possible?!

On non-carb days I try to stick to right around 80g carbs, and on carb days I'll double that. Am I on track here? I've never done a TCD before so I want to make sure I'm not wasting my time.

A790
01-11-2010, 09:14 PM
Hit gym hard today. Most of my weights were down 5lbs from December, to be expected since I took a 2 week hiatus on all these workouts. Dips and seated calf raises went up by about 5lbs each. Incline down 5lb :(

Macros:

3,346 calories
197.7g fat
119.9g carbs
282.5g protein

core_upt
01-12-2010, 09:59 AM
I gave it hell in the gym last night - up on all my weights. No soreness today!

My macros from yesterday:

1,866 calories
72g fat
94g carbs
207g protein

I am trying to cut, but even this seems low? Its spread through the entire day, and I never felt super hungry.... I am down 3lbs in one week though.... guess it is working?

A790
01-13-2010, 06:30 PM
Originally posted by core_upt
I gave it hell in the gym last night - up on all my weights. No soreness today!

My macros from yesterday:

1,866 calories
72g fat
94g carbs
207g protein

I am trying to cut, but even this seems low? Its spread through the entire day, and I never felt super hungry.... I am down 3lbs in one week though.... guess it is working?
Get your own thread! lol

A790
01-14-2010, 12:29 AM
Hit the gym HARD today. Had a full carb day all day, followed by chicken wings post workout. No idea what macro's are, but they're high :)

Gym:

Bent row: 115lbs (3 x 10)
Pull ups: 5 x 10 (every set other than the first two had at least 5 negatives)
Bent rows (accessory): 55lbs (5 x 10)
Preacher 21's: 40lbs (1 x 21)

Feeling good, weighed in at 217lbs.

Friday is going to be:

Squat: 250lbs (3 x 10)
Lunges: 50lbs (5 x 10)
Squat (accessory): 155lbs (5 x 10)
Standing calf raise: 315lbs (3 x 10)

A790
01-14-2010, 06:41 PM
Cardio update: 325 calories in 23 minutes.

5 minutes @ 5 incline, 3.7mph
1 minute @ 15 incline, 6.5 mph

Lather, rinse, repeat. Did 3 cycles. Goddamn the incline sprint is hard.

A790
01-17-2010, 01:40 PM
Back injury has got me out of commission for a while. Seeing a physiotherapist soon to get the full extent of the damage I've done. Hoping I can be back on the go in 6 weeks or so.

A790
01-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Gym today. Squat day. Guess what happens when you are trying to rebuild your back?

If you guessed no weight you are RIIIIGHT.

Squat: 135 x 5, 155 x 5, 175 x 15 (stopped at 15 cause I could have done that all bloody day).

Leg press: 240 (3 x 20)

Leg curl: "whatever the 15 setting is" 3 x 10

Macros:

3,248 cals
147.8g fat
234.4g carbs
236g protein

A790
01-24-2010, 02:25 PM
Bench: 135 x 5, 160 x 5, 185 x 12

Accessory:
Bench:135 (5 x 10)
Chins (2 x 8)

Macros:
2,700 calories
87g fat
212g carb
195g protein

kutt3r
01-26-2010, 10:06 PM
A790

Sorry to hear about the back... if you need to lower the weight focus on some conditioning with 20's and short rests, makes recovering from the heavy stuff much easier and you are cutting anyways no?

Remember to remove the fibre from the carb count that should help lower the number.. under 30 is easy if you stick to protein and broccoli :) Just remember to get the good fat in when your carbs are that low.

A790
02-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Bench: 135 x 5, 160 x 5, 185 x 12

Accessory:
Bench:135 (5 x 10)
Chins (2 x 8)

Macros:
2,700 calories
87g fat
212g carb
195g protein
Gave my back another week without weight training. Did lots of cardio/stretching. Went back to the gym today, did bench.

Bench: 135 x 5, 165 x 5, 185 x 13. Up 1 rep, am happy.

Accessory:
Bench: 135lbs (5 x 10)
Chin ups: 2 x 5
One arm row: 60lbs (3 x 10)

Feeling great, back is no longer sore! Will be doing squats Thursday, deads on Monday... DUN DUN DUN.

A790
02-05-2010, 09:51 AM
Cardio yesterday, gym today. Burning 422 calories in 30 minutes.

A790
02-07-2010, 01:45 PM
Press today.

Press:
85lbs x 5, 95lbs x 5, 105lbs x 10.
Dips:
15lbs 5 x 10
Shrugs:
155lbs 4 x 15

Back still somewhat sore. Still avoiding deads.

On a positive note, my last three weigh ins have been 215lbs dead on. I'm hoping to maintain this weight for a bit while cutting fat. Modified the TCD to suit me a bit better, seems to be working. Enjoying it so far :)

A790
02-09-2010, 04:11 PM
Weight: 215.2lbs

Bench today. Not touching deads for at least another two weeks.

Bench:
3 x 150lbs
3 x 175lbs
9 x 195lbs

Accessory:
Bench: 140lbs (5 x 10)
Chins: 2 x 8

A790
02-12-2010, 07:35 PM
Weight: 216lbs

Press today. Skipped both squat and dead on account of back still bugging me slightly.

Press:
3 x 85lbs
3 x 100lbs
7 x 115lbs (PR for me)

Dips:
15lbs (5 x 10)

Shrugs:
175lbs (4 x 15)

Chins:
15lbs (1 x 5)
0lbs 1 x 5
0lbs 1 x 5
0lbs 1 x 5

Feeling pretty pumped. Definitely noticing more definition in my shoulders/pecs/arms. Waist is trimming up a bit as well. Hoping maybe my love handles will be gone soon? That'd be sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet :)

A790
02-13-2010, 05:32 PM
Did some cardio today. Numbers were solid.

469 calories in 30 minutes. Total distance: 3.92km. Averages out to be 15.6 calories per minute.

I've been doing moderate intensity lately. I'll walk at 7.5 incline @ 3.8 mph for 5 minutes, then I'll jog at 7.5mph @ 2.5 incline for 3 minutes. Do that cycle three times, then 3 minute cool down.

Seems to be cutting well so far :)

EDIT: I have got to be in probably the best shape of my life right now. I can lift more and run longer than I ever have before. Broken back not withstanding, I'm very happy with there I am at.

bball2
02-13-2010, 06:29 PM
EDIT: I have got to be in probably the best shape of my life right now. I can lift more and run longer than I ever have before. Broken back not withstanding, I'm very happy with there I am at.

Keep it up dude :thumbsup:

A790
02-14-2010, 03:03 PM
Tried deadlifts today. Did romanian deadlifts, as per the advise of my physiotherapist.

Romanian Dead:
135lbs (1 x 5)
145lbs (1 x 5)
155lbs (1x15*) - stopped because I could have been there all day.

Bent row:
135lbs (5 x 10)

Pull ups:
BW 2 x 6

Hoping to increase my lower back strength and maybe get rid of this dull ache that's been plaguing me for 6 weeks now...

baygirl
02-14-2010, 06:01 PM
I just read this thread, and your 5 month challenge. I want to say how much I admire your dedication, and ask what keeps you motivated?

A790
02-14-2010, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by baygirl
I just read this thread, and your 5 month challenge. I want to say how much I admire your dedication, and ask what keeps you motivated?
At first, it was weight loss. Every time I lost an inch here or there it was motivating.

Now, it's strength. It's size. It's mass. It's walking into a room and knowing that there's a good probability that I'm the strongest one in there. It's being able to run long distances, eat nearly anything I want (situation permitting*), and being healthy.

The bottom line is that, aside from my back, I've never felt this good. That, in itself, is motivating :)

Wolf69
02-14-2010, 06:30 PM
Been following this as of late...I also recently hurt my back & Ive been out of airsoft a good year. Any good suggestions for building your core without injuring my back?
I also have 2 bulging discs in back & underwent medial branch block 6 needles into the spine & still in pain. Was told to build core up.

Any suggestions on how to build core up without re-injury of back?

Also another good suggestion in replacing bread ..try rice bread not as fattening as wheat . i'm a celiac so I should know alot of these foods are a bit better for you.

Keep up the awesome work :)

A790
02-15-2010, 08:00 PM
Originally posted by Wolf69
Any suggestions on how to build core up without re-injury of back?)
As soon as I figure that one kout I'll post it up :)

Treadmill today.

441 calories, 30 minutes. Not too shabby.

baygirl
02-15-2010, 10:34 PM

At first, it was weight loss. Every time I lost an inch here or there it was motivating.

Now, it's strength. It's size. It's mass. It's walking into a room and knowing that there's a good probability that I'm the strongest one in there. It's being able to run long distances, eat nearly anything I want (situation permitting*), and being healthy.

The bottom line is that, aside from my back, I've never felt this good. That, in itself, is motivating :)
I've managed to lose the weight I wanted through dieting, but am having trouble convincing myself to go to the gym. Every day I come up with a different excuse, and just keep putting it off. I'm thinking about a personal trainer, but heard they were pricey.

A790
02-16-2010, 07:51 PM
Bench today.

Bench:
+ 150lbs (1 x 3)
+ 175lbs (1 x 3)
+ 195lbs (1 x 12) - Up 3 from my last bench day.

Assistance Bench:
+ 140lbs (5 x 10)

Bent row:
+ 135lbs (3 x 10)

Feeling good. Still have some back pain, but getting slowly better. Still staying away from squats/deads for a bit.

A790
02-18-2010, 09:30 PM
Deadlifts today. BAM!

Weight: 215lbs bang on.

Romanian Deads:
140lbs (1 x 5)
150lbs (1 x 5)
160lbs (1 x 19*) - stopped cause I could have easily done another 10.

Hammer chins
BW (2 x 8, 1 x 5)

Standard grip chins:
BW (1 x 5)

Bent row:
140lbs (3 x 10)
135lbs (2 x 10)

Feeling pretty good. Back is coming along (finally)!

A790
02-20-2010, 05:42 PM
Cardio yesterday: 462 calories, 30 minutes.

Press today. Back still fucking sore. This is starting to really get to me.

Press:
85lbs (1 x 3)
100lbs (1 x 3)
115lbs (1 x 8*)

Dips: BW (5 x 10)

Shrugs: 185lbs (4 x 15)

Oblique crunch: 70lbs (2 x 8)

A790
02-24-2010, 09:22 PM
Cardio yesterday: 360 calories, 22 minutes.

Gym today. Bench press. Weighed in at 213lbs!

Bench:
160lbs (1 x 5)
185lbs (1 x 3)
205lbs (1 x 8)

Accessory bench:
145lbs (5 x 10)

Pull ups:
BW (2 x 6)

Chin ups:
BW (2 x 6)

Barbell curl:
85lbs (2 x 6)

Feeling good. 213 is good to see, especially because I don't think I've lost any muscle/strength. Still progrssing.

Back is still bugging me, so I'm laying off squat/deads for a bit again. Trying other core exercises.

Darkane
02-25-2010, 11:50 AM

Back is still bugging me, so I'm laying off squat/deads for a bit again. Trying other core exercises.

Good progress my friend. Backs can be a bitch, mine is still on the edge but I'm going into a new routine Monday. It's gonna be shoulders spec so minimal heavy back stuff.

Have you been foam rolling at all? If you don't know what it is check it out on youtube. It feels so much better after.

213 is great! That 209.5 is right around the corner :)

EDIT: Forgot to mention that during periods where your back is hurt, Unilateral lower body movements are key. Single leg stuff in other words.

Single leg press, single leg curl, Split squats, lunges, calfs, step ups (Light!), Side step ups.

A compound movement to do that won't bug you to much, or it shouldn't is Glute ham raises. Low pull throughs should be ok as well.

Oz-
02-25-2010, 01:10 PM
Look at getting Magnificent Mobility, it is a video by Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson and works wonders for helping to get mobility back in the core and hip areas. I do it about 4-5 times a week for about 10 minutes everyday and a lot of my old niggles have started to go away.

A790
02-27-2010, 04:24 PM
Trying some lower back stuff today. Have physio booked for Monday, and seeing a doctor this week as well. Miss dead lifts and squats :(

A790
02-27-2010, 06:05 PM
Speaking of which...

Weighed in at 215lbs. Ouch.

Lifts:

Press:
95lbs (1x5)
105lbs (1x3)
125lbs (1x12*)<--- PR.

Dips:
BW (4x10)

Shrugs:
195lbs (4x15)

Oblique crunch:
70lbs (2x8)

Barbell curl:
90lbs (2 x6)

Feel good when I was pressing today. Had a bit left in the tank. Hitting a deload for a week, looking forward to cycle TWO.

Back, of course, still hurts. Going to try trap deadlifts/sumo deadlifts as well as romanian deadlifts for recovery. Keeping weight LOW, focusing on form. That's slated for March 6 start. Should be... interesting.

A790
03-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Gym today. Deload week.

Weighed in at 213.5lbs. Fuck yes. Also noticed that I'm on to my last belt loop and my jeans are too big. Dammit :( Oh well, could be worse problems to have.

Following the advice of my doctor and physiotherapist, I have started to ease myself back into back exercises.

Sumo Deadlift
135lbs (2x8)

Romanian Deadlift
135lbs (2x8)

Pull ups:
BW (2x8)

Chin ups:
BW (1x8)

Hammer curl:
60lbs (2x3)

The deadlifts were performed very smoothly, with an emphasis on form. Felt good lifting, no sudden back pain/sharp pains. Back is still feeling ok an hour later. We'll see how it feels tomorrow.

Masked Bandit
03-04-2010, 11:41 AM
Gym today. Deload week.

Weighed in at 213.5lbs. Fuck yes. Also noticed that I'm on to my last belt loop and my jeans are too big. Dammit :( Oh well, could be worse problems to have.

Following the advice of my doctor and physiotherapist, I have started to ease myself back into back exercises.

Sumo Deadlift
135lbs (2x8)

Romanian Deadlift
135lbs (2x8)

Pull ups:
BW (2x8)

Chin ups:
BW (1x8)

Hammer curl:
60lbs (2x3)

The deadlifts were performed very smoothly, with an emphasis on form. Felt good lifting, no sudden back pain/sharp pains. Back is still feeling ok an hour later. We'll see how it feels tomorrow.

I hurt my back pretty bad about six weeks ago (I think) doing deadlifts and it was a rough couple of weeks afterwards. In the last three weeks or so I've started doing lower back exercises again SLOWLY and with great attention to form and things are progressing much better. Keep at it, you'll get there.

A790
03-04-2010, 01:04 PM
My back is actually feeling pretty good right now. I felt no change between doing deadlfits and not doing them. In fact, it may have lessened slightly. I'm going to keep at it, do squats w/ light weight, etc. and see how it goes.

Doing squats today at the gym, form + smooth lift > weight.

Oh the long, troubled road to recovery.

JAYMEZ
03-04-2010, 01:40 PM
Looking awesome dude!

Keep up the good work , i wish i could make a thread about my transformation , but its so much effort writing it all down lol!

A790
03-04-2010, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by JAYMEZ
Looking awesome dude!

Keep up the good work , i wish i could make a thread about my transformation , but its so much effort writing it all down lol!
Thanks big guy! You should message me what you're doing health wise these days.

Hit the gym today, deload week so I kept it light.

Bench:
145lbs (1x12)
155lbs (1x12)

Squat:
135lbs (2x8)

Standing press:
100lbs (2x6)

Chin ups:
BW (2x8)

Pull ups:
BW (1x6)

A790
03-07-2010, 06:02 PM
So, after a deload week and a weekend full of binge drinking/eating garbage, I weighed in today at 214.5lbs. Not bad I guess....

Press:
105lbs (1x5)
120lbs (1x5)
135lbs (1x9**)<--- PR

Dips:
BW (4x10)

Shrugs:
205lbs (4x15)

Oblique crunch:
75lbs (2x8)

Barbell curl:
95lbs (2x6)

Weighed crunch:
12lbs (2x10)

Overall, feeling good. 135lbs press is up significantly from when I started 5/3/1, and I felt like I could go heavier so I'm excited to see where I'm at come the end of this cycle. Back is still somewhat sore, but recovering. Seeing the doctor tomorrow at 3:15 for some insight hopefully.

adidas
03-09-2010, 03:02 PM
Correct me if I am wrong as ive only skimmed through some of your routines and it seems like you have stuck with the same program since Jan. I would try and throw my body a curve and do 1 week of totally bizarre stuff to make my body change. As it is right now, you are being very repetitive and your body is getting used to it. All you need to do is just do different exercises, so instead of doing flat bench press, do decline dumbbells, etc.

I personally do my change up every 4th week. Most people will do it after completing there 6th. Its all up to you. But rmr after 8-12 weeks you need to change your entire program.

Hopefully that made some sense. lol

A790
03-09-2010, 07:17 PM
Originally posted by adidas
Correct me if I am wrong as ive only skimmed through some of your routines and it seems like you have stuck with the same program since Jan. I would try and throw my body a curve and do 1 week of totally bizarre stuff to make my body change. As it is right now, you are being very repetitive and your body is getting used to it. All you need to do is just do different exercises, so instead of doing flat bench press, do decline dumbbells, etc.

I personally do my change up every 4th week. Most people will do it after completing there 6th. Its all up to you. But rmr after 8-12 weeks you need to change your entire program.

Hopefully that made some sense. lol
I read ya. I'll change it up as soon as I hit a plateau. 5/3/1 is a GREAT routine... I wish I had started it earlier. So far I've been seeing gains consistently every single week. Can't argue with that :D

Weighed in today at 213lbs dead on (carb'd up no less). Feeling GOOD. Feeling STRONG.

Romanian deadlift:
145lbs (1x5)
155lbs (1x5)
165lbs (1x5)

Bent row:
145lbs (5x10)

Hammer chin up:
BW (2x8)

Press (cool down)
45lbs (5x5)

Back is starting to feel better, so I'm going to slowly ramp up the weight on the deadlift. 145lbs x 4 x 10 for bent row is a PR for me. Feel awesome. I don't think my shoulders/upper back/chest/arms have ever been this defined before. Fuck yea!

A790
03-10-2010, 06:02 PM
Cardio today.

Didn't have the energy I was hoping for. 368 calories in 25 minutes. Disappointing, but it's been 2 weeks since I last hit some serious cardio.

Tomorrow... BENCH DAY (fav day of the week).

A790
03-11-2010, 07:07 PM
BENCH DAY TODAY... YAAAY!

Weigh in: 213.5lbs (carbd)

Bench:
160lbs (1x5)
185lbs (1x5)
210lbs (1x8*)

Accessory bench:
140lbs (3x10)
140lbs (1x8)
140lbs (1x7)

Pull ups:
BW (2x6)

Chin ups:
BW (2x6)

Barbell curl:
90lbs (3x6)

FEELING GOOOOOOD :D

A790
03-16-2010, 06:34 PM
Romanian deadlift today.

Weigh in: 209lbs (:eek: ). I think the scale may be broken... will watch this over the new few days. Back feeling okay... we'll see how it is.

Romanian deadlift:
155lbs (1x5)
165lbs (1x5)
175lbs (1x15*)

Pull ups:
BW (2x6)

Bent row:
165lbs (3x8)<--- PR

2x14 inverted situps

Preacher 21's:
60lbs (1x21)

Barbell curl:
90lbs (1x3)
90lbs 1x1 NEGATIVE

Overall, feeling good. 165lb 3x8 bent row is a personal record for me, so that's awesome. Continuing to build strength, get lean, etc. etc.

My arms/chest/shoulders are getting pretty cut/defined. Feels great. Had a girl at the bar make fun of me for being on steroids- I told her to get her facts straight before she starts flipping insults... no roids here ;)

A790
03-17-2010, 06:07 PM
Cardio, tried something new.

3 minutes walking at 3.8 mph on a 4.5 incline.

3 minutes jogging at 6.5 mph on a 4.5 incline

Totals 348 calories after 23 minutes. 14 minutes walking, 9 minutes jogging. Was tight on time. Not bad though, feeling good :)

A790
03-18-2010, 04:32 PM
Press day today!

Weighed in at 212lbs even, carb deprived. Weight is slowly creeping down. At this rate I'll see 210 by mid-April!

Press:
115lbs (1x3)
130lbs (1x3)
145lbs (1x7*)<--- PR!!

Dips:
BW (4x10)

Shrugs:
215lbs (4x15)<--- PR!!

Oblique Crunch:
75lbs (2x8)

Barbell curl:
95lbs (2x6)

Feeling good. Outline of six pack is there now when I wake up/go to bed. Waist size has shrunk AGAIN (down from 34" to 32/33"). Upper body looking awesome. Feeling awesome.

I'm just awesome today :)

A790
03-21-2010, 03:37 PM
BENCH DAY. BOOM!

Weighed in at 212lbs flat, despite a weekend of binge drinking and eating pizza at 2 am. Not bad. Thinking I might hit 210 in two weeks.

Bench:
170lbs (1x3)
195lbs (1x3)
220lbs (1x6*)

Asst. Bench:
140lbs (5x10)

Pull ups:
BW (2x6)

Chin ups:
BW (2x6)

Barbell curl:
95lbs (2x6)

Getting there. Was hoping for a bit more juice on the final bench set, but I was somewhat hungry and still tired from a stupid weekend. So, all in all, can't complain.

Back is intermittent. I may cut back exercises out completely again and focus on core training (replace squats with lunges, add more ab work, etc.). Going on nearly 3 months with this stupid injury... BAH!

A790
03-23-2010, 07:14 PM
Squat day:

Weighed in at 212lbs.

Squat:
225lbs (3x5)

Calf raise:
170lbs (3x10)

Pull ups:
BW (1x6)

Hammer chin ups:
BW (3x6)

Didn't have much time today so I booked it after that. In and out in 30 minutes.

A790
03-25-2010, 06:14 PM
PRESS DAY MOTHAFAKAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAS!

Weigh in: 212lbs even

Press:
120lbs (1x5)
135lbs (1x3)
155lbs (1x6*) <--- P mothafuckin R!

Dips:
BW + 5lbs (4x10)

Shrugs:
225lbs (4x15)<--- PR

Oblique crunch:
80lbs (2x8)

Barbell curl:
100lbs (2x6)

Man I never thought I'd see the day I'd crack 150lbs overhead press. Can't wait for cycle 3 of 5/3/1!!!

A790
03-27-2010, 05:25 PM
Deadlifts today.

Weight: 213lbs carbd up (ate some ice cream before I went haha, combined with a breakfast sandiwch from tims and two cheesebrugers. I heart carb days.

Sumo deadlift:
165lbs (1x5)
175lbs (1x5)
185lbs (1x8)<--- felt strain in lower back, so I stopped.

Hammer chins:
BW + 5lbs (2x8)

Halfway through my lift I felt strain in my lower back, so I stretched/foam rolled for 10 minutes and called it a day. I got my deads done, that's all I needed.

Hoping I don't feel this one tomorrow. *sigh*

A790
03-29-2010, 05:38 PM
Bench day today... HELL YEA!

Weigh in 216lbs (it was a shitty weekend I guess? haha)

Bench:
185lbs (1x5)
210lbs (1x3)
235lbs (1x4)<--- PR!

Accessory bench:
140bs (5x10)

Chin up:
BW (2x6)

Pull up:
BW (2x6)

Barbell curl:
95lbs (2x6)

A790
03-31-2010, 05:44 PM
Squat day:

Weighed in at 215lbs.

Squat:
225lbs (3x5)

Calf raise:
170lbs (3x10)

Pull ups:
BW (1x6)

Hammer chin ups:
BW (3x6)

Deload week coming.

A790
04-04-2010, 09:53 AM
Deloaded yesterday. It was fun. I've broken my deloads down into two lifting days (squat/bench and press/dead) and a core day. Cardio a'plenty, just for fun.

Squat:
1345lbs (3x8)

Hammer chins:
BW (3x8)

Bench:
155lbs (3x8)

Glute ham raise:
BW (3x8)

Cardio today:
437 calories in 31 minutes. Walk @ 3.8mph at 6.5 incline for 3minutes , jog at 6.5mpg at 5 incline for 3 minutes. Repeat three times. Walk at 3 mph at 10.5 incline for three minutes. Cool down.

A790
04-06-2010, 07:19 PM
Deload today.

Weigh in: 214lbs

Overhead press:
95lbs (3x8)

Barbell curl:
100lbs (3x8)

Dips:
BW (3x8)

Glute ham raise:
BW (3x8)

A790
04-08-2010, 05:44 PM
Squat day today (deload over).

Weigh in: 212.5lbs

Squat:
225lbs (3x5)

Accessory squat:
135lbs (5x10)

Seated calf raise:
160lbs (3x10)

A790
04-10-2010, 06:26 PM
Only had 20 minutes at the gym before it closed, so I decided to change it up.

Weigh in: 210lbs (carb'd).

Chins:
BW + 35lbs (4x4)
BW (2x6)

Oblique crunch:
75lbs (2x8)

Bicep curl:
50lbs (2x8)
^ Haven't done a bicep curl with a dumbbell in FOREVER.

A790
04-13-2010, 06:57 PM
Bench day, non-deload huzzah!

Weigh in: 214lbs (WAY carb'd... had a massive lunch).

Bench:
155lbs (1x5)
185lbs (1x5)
205lbs (1x8*)

Accessory bench:
140lbs (5x10)

Chins:
BW (2x6)

Barbell curl:
95lbs (2x6)

Feeling strong :)

A790
04-18-2010, 12:48 PM
Totally forgot to put my squat day in here...

Weigh in: 213.5lbs

Squat:
225lbs (3x5)

Accessory squat:
140lbs (3x10)

Front squat:
135lbs (2x10)

Seated calf raise:
170lbs (3x10)

Then, I went and pushed the prowler/pulled some sleds the next day. Good cardio!

First press day since the last deload. Shoulder felt a little funny so I kept it reasonable.

Press:
105lbs (1x5)
120lbs (1x5)
135lbs (1x8)

Dips:
BW + 5lbs (3x10)

Shrugs:
245lbs (3x8)

Oblique crunch:
75lbs (3x8)

Barbell curl:
100lbs (2x6)

A790
04-20-2010, 06:48 PM
Weigh in: 214lbs

Chin ups:
BW + 35lbs (4x4)

Glute ham raise:
BW (3x10)

Oblique crunch:
80lbs (3x8)

Preacher curl:
70lbs (2x8)

Weighted crunch:
20lbs (3x12)

Liking my chins. Trying to get to 4x5 by end of next month.

A790
04-21-2010, 06:21 PM
Cardio day, jogged 3.9km in 30 minutes.

469 calories, 3.92km, 30 minutes even.

scary_perry
04-21-2010, 06:29 PM
I gotta get you in on moar video gamez. Then you can get big and fat like me. Misery loves company!

Just kidding. This is a pretty impressive plan congrats on the success. I just eat cheetos and monitor the thread. :)

Seriously kids, life after 35 is not down hill, its more like walking off a steep cliff unless you take care of yourself. As the weight packs on each pound is exponentially harder to lose than the last.

:cry:

A790
04-22-2010, 03:25 PM
Originally posted by scary_perry
Seriously kids, life after 35 is not down hill, its more like walking off a steep cliff unless you take care of yourself. As the weight packs on each pound is exponentially harder to lose than the last.
More muscle = faster metabolism. Hit the gym!

A790
04-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Bench day!

Bench:
170lbs (1x3)
200lbs (1x3)
220lbs (1x8*)

Accessory bench:
140lbs (4x10)

Pull ups:
BW (2x6)

Barbell curl:
100lbs (2x6)

Bent row:
100lbs (2x10)

A790
04-24-2010, 02:41 PM
Cardio today.

Treadmill walk/run split (2 minute walk, 3 minute run). "5" incline.

472 calories, 3.84km, 30 minutes even.

Darkane
04-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Good work man, looks outstanding.

Good strength gains too.

s_havinga
04-30-2010, 07:44 AM
Is it common for weight to fluxuate so much? It seem like I am pretty close to the same size as you and have the same sort of range. I always find it wierd that I can weigh in one day at 211 and then two days later be 216. I eat baisically the exact same thing every day so I dont really get the change.

Anyway, good to see you are still making gains and feeling strong. I feel like I have been stuck lifting the same weight for far too long but can't seem to get over the hump

Darkane
04-30-2010, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by s_havinga
Is it common for weight to fluxuate so much? It seem like I am pretty close to the same size as you and have the same sort of range. I always find it wierd that I can weigh in one day at 211 and then two days later be 216. I eat baisically the exact same thing every day so I dont really get the change.

Anyway, good to see you are still making gains and feeling strong. I feel like I have been stuck lifting the same weight for far too long but can't seem to get over the hump

Not to de-rail A790's thread, but the weight fluctuations are normal. I'm in the same zone, a bit lighter (205 area) but I'm up to 212 in a day after a cheat meal.

When you say you eat the same thing everyday, are you 100%? Or just 'roughly' the same stuff? ;)

I've been truly eating the same food everyday for 9 weeks, and it's not bad - but weight does fluctuate yes.

As for your plateau, how much are you eating? I recommend this: Take a week off, eat as much lean meat, veggies and at least 5-10 tablespoons of natural peanut butter/day.

First two days after the week, eat 100g protein/day and CARBS. I mean 400-500/day. Only two days.

Only workout upperbody on those two days, and see if you still have the plateau.

s_havinga
04-30-2010, 11:39 AM
Not 100%, just roughly... I just find it strange becasue some days after a very strict diet I weight more then other days after "cheat" meals/ days. It's not really a big deal, just wondering if it was normal. I actually took the week off last week. So I am hoping that the next few weeks will prove to be effective.

Anyway, sorry again for side tracking your thread A790, both you and Darkane have given beyond and myself a lot of education and motivation to stick with it. The goal is to see 205 by the end of 2010!