PDA

View Full Version : Priorities changed, need reliable vehicle for under $5000...

kawana
12-24-2009, 03:28 PM
Well my dreams of having a fun fast car aren't looking too good. Every one i look into ends up being too expensive on insurance, not safe etc... I dont think im asking for alot, but Im having a hard time finding something. This is all i really need:

Safe
Reliable
seats 4
cheap on insurance
parts aren't crazy expensive
fun

dont care about much else, would like a 5 speed and rwd but im not picky on that.

I was looking at an e30, but insurance would bankrupt me.

JordanAndrew
12-24-2009, 03:48 PM
Can't go wrong with a civic, parts are cheap, car is reliable, you can get mods to make the car faster. You can probably get an integra as well around that price.

It's the most common answer you'll get from this forum, but it's common because the solution works.

Dodobird
12-24-2009, 04:07 PM
Originally posted by JordanAndrew
Can't go wrong with a civic, parts are cheap, car is reliable, you can get mods to make the car faster. You can probably get an integra as well around that price.

It's the most common answer you'll get from this forum, but it's common because the solution works.

:thumbsup: I got my civic for a little under 5k and its been great so far. Another possible answer could be a 240SX, but it can be hard to find one that's not ridiculously modded, or ridiculously rusted/crapped out

g-m
12-24-2009, 05:55 PM
240sx don't buy a fwd piece. I hate my integra its slow as BALLS and torque steers

edit: do you have any mechanical ability whatsoever?

SRT10Killer
12-24-2009, 06:10 PM
240 is slow unless it has a sr20 or some other engine, even then it's slow...

Get a gc8 wrx, it's fast for what it is and extremely fun/reliable

anschutz_92
12-24-2009, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by SRT10Killer

Oh yes, a 15 year old subaru is extremely reliable :rolleyes:

Get a cavalier like every other high school student.

kawana
12-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by g-m
240sx don't buy a fwd piece. I hate my integra its slow as BALLS and torque steers

edit: do you have any mechanical ability whatsoever?

Somewhat, I dont have any formal training but i pick up things quick and can usually figure things out. Ive done minor work on my previous cars, but nothing that involves tearing down the engine.

SRT10Killer
12-24-2009, 07:06 PM
Originally posted by anschutz_92

My 18 year old soarer is more reliable than my dad's 2004 maxima and is probably more or as reliable than most 5 year old local cars. Don't compare JDM cars to local cars, average JDM car travels 9k/year and has to go through a 300 point inspection (shaken) every 2 years

About the cavalier, yes get one and then buy another one next month when it craps out

kawana
12-24-2009, 07:07 PM

haha, already had a cavalier and hated every minute of it. Such a POS that car was. The interior was SO cheap. Blah

7thgenvic
12-24-2009, 07:19 PM
I have a MINT 1993 LS400!!!! SUPER CLEAN...way under your budget :)

anschutz_92
12-24-2009, 09:21 PM
Don't compare JDM cars to local cars, average JDM car travels 9k/year and has to go through a 300 point inspection (shaken) every 2 years

It's hard to make that comparison when everybody and their dog knows that 15y/o turbo cars are unreliable at best. Now just imagine what happens when you buy a 15 y/o car, sight unseen from Japan, throw it on a boat and sell it for a cool 2k profit... Oh that's right you get all those POS in the market place which are selling for <$6000.

JDM's had their time to shine almost five years ago. Your a little late to be sucking on their nuts.

But yes, try to tell everyone that a 1995 Subaru WRX with 135k km (9k/yrx15) is going to be just as reliable than a 2006 STI with 30k km.

Graham_A_M
12-24-2009, 09:59 PM
Originally posted by kawana

haha, already had a cavalier and hated every minute of it. Such a POS that car was. The interior was SO cheap. Blah

Yeah dont get a cavalier:banghead: Fuck sakes.

I dont know... I ended up with a '99 Saturn SL2 (my winter car) thats been in my family since new. I can honestly say that thing is built like a tank. I beat the piss out of it and ONLY drive it in the winter, and it just takes and takes it. I swear it'll never die.

Definitely not a "sports" car, but still surprisingly nimble and fun to boot around in. I get 42mpg on the highway.. and its dirt cheap to own and operate. I have 293k on mine and it still has yet to break down ONCE. Its just been regular maintenance this whole time :dunno:

Not exactly the sort of car that would drop girl's underwear at the drop of a hat: but I think for a young kid like you, you need something reliable and VERY cheap to buy, own & operate, and that'll fit your budget very nicely. You can get a '97-02 for WELL under your budget.
The DOHC engine (only in the SL2 & SC2) is just bulletproof. Dont get an SL1, those engines aren't nearly as good.

Its just something to consider. Dont get an eagle Talon, whatever you do. Probably best for you to stick for a left hand drive car for your first car, just for safety reasons, and one that isn't a turbo. ;)

SRT10Killer
12-25-2009, 12:35 AM

It's hard to make that comparison when everybody and their dog knows that 15y/o turbo cars are unreliable at best. Now just imagine what happens when you buy a 15 y/o car, sight unseen from Japan, throw it on a boat and sell it for a cool 2k profit... Oh that's right you get all those POS in the market place which are selling for &lt;$6000.

JDM's had their time to shine almost five years ago. Your a little late to be sucking on their nuts.

But yes, try to tell everyone that a 1995 Subaru WRX with 135k km (9k/yrx15) is going to be just as reliable than a 2006 STI with 30k km.

It is hard when you've never owned one just dangling off the sacks of others who say exactly the same thing while only assuming, or bought one and didn't know how to take care of it blowing it up as a result.

I drove 3 different jdm cars for 3 years and all I had to do was change oil/filter regularly on my soarer over 3 years.

I hate to bust your balls, but JDM's are only going to get more popular, rev3 mr-2's just became available, TT legacy's, 1995 sti will be available this year, and next year evo 4's and vvit soarers. I hope you can imagine what will happen in the next few years in the marketplace ;)

Why are you comparing a car that's worth 30k+ to something worth 5-9k ? It's no secret that a local 5 year old car will have more than 100k on it unless it's an "occasional vehicle"

2EFNFAST
12-25-2009, 12:40 AM
early 90s volvo

A2VR6
12-25-2009, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by 2EFNFAST
early 90s volvo

:werd: QFT, it's going to be cheap on insurance and safe as hell.

cjay^
12-25-2009, 01:16 AM

Lol says 3800lb dodge stealth. I bet an sr20 with only exhaust and a boost controller would bend your shit over.

Kardon
12-25-2009, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by cjay^

Lol says 3800lb dodge stealth. I bet an sr20 with only exhaust and a boost controller would bend your shit over.

No kidding, then he suggests a WRX is much faster? SR20, like almost any turbo motor have so much potential, they're all fast enough.

gpomp
12-25-2009, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by g-m
240sx don't buy a fwd piece. I hate my integra its slow as BALLS and torque steers ur integra doesn't have torque steer... u have to have torque for that

SRT10Killer
12-25-2009, 02:24 AM

rofl why not stock for stock ? I can add a boost controller also..
Don't be mad cause your s13s are slow as shit unless modded. Don't even bother comparing a stock gc8 with a stock 240 even with a sr20

btw I'll take that bet

maxomilll
12-25-2009, 03:14 AM

I've owned both, and i'd say my sr20 is pulling on the ej20, not by much but its faster..

*edit.

Dont get me wrong, not saying ANYTHING bad about GC8's unreal cars in every aspect.

Neil4Speed
12-25-2009, 11:19 AM
GS300 Fits your bill well if you can find one.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-25-2009, 11:24 AM

Stock for stock, WRX is quicker in the straights due to 40 extra HP and Torque, but once you hit a corner a S13 with a SR20 is going to be more fun, and easier to go quicker in imo (Having owned and driven both).

Kardon
12-25-2009, 02:41 PM
I also must agree me SR20 feels alot faster than my Aristo w/ a 2JZ (but that was auto.. and about 1000lbs heavier). Power to weight on a mildly upgraded silvia is quite impressive.

cjay^
12-25-2009, 03:23 PM

rofl why not stock for stock ? I can add a boost controller also..
Don't be mad cause your s13s are slow as shit unless modded. Don't even bother comparing a stock gc8 with a stock 240 even with a sr20

btw I'll take that bet

Because I havent met a single person using stock exhaust on an SR20. If you buy a jdm, chances are it will have some sort of aftermarket exhaust. Plus I know if I was doing an SR20 swap I sure as hell wouldn't leave the stock ka24 2" exhaust on. I love when people say "stock for stock", well if I was Car and Driver and this was 1991, maybe I would give a shit.

Its pretty obvious you are just trying to be a troll here. Anyone who says 205hp and 203 ft-lbs in a 2700lb car is "slow as shit" is obviously ignorant and talking out of thier ass.

msommers
12-25-2009, 05:48 PM
Look into a civic or an accord. For what you need right now (from how it sounds), you just want something to go A to B reliably and cheap, you really can't go wrong. Then when things look up, you can sell it and move on. Hondas hold their value fairly well.

Guys, go take your S13/Dodge Stealth/WRX snatch-measuring elsewhere.

pinoyboy88
12-25-2009, 06:47 PM
both sr20 n gto stealth r slow :poosie: nufff said

2EFNFAST
12-25-2009, 07:06 PM

Anyone who says 205hp and 203 ft-lbs in a 2700lb car is &quot;slow as shit&quot; is obviously ignorant and talking out of thier ass.

2700lbs is heaaaaaaaaaavvvvvvvvy. Need about 1,100hp for that piggie, not 200.

traviswithaG
12-25-2009, 07:15 PM

It's hard to make that comparison when everybody and their dog knows that 15y/o turbo cars are unreliable at best. Now just imagine what happens when you buy a 15 y/o car, sight unseen from Japan, throw it on a boat and sell it for a cool 2k profit... Oh that's right you get all those POS in the market place which are selling for &lt;$6000.

the guy said he wanted a car for under 5,000. so i think although more reliable a 2006 is out of the question.

btimbit
12-25-2009, 07:19 PM
MK4 VW Golf/GTI/Jetta. Great reliable car, plus if you go with the 1.8T, one $500 mod (Software 'chip') and you're faster than most cars on the road.

gpomp
12-25-2009, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by btimbit
MK4 VW Golf/GTI/Jetta. Great reliable car :rofl:

btimbit
12-25-2009, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
:rofl:

Says the guy with a Civic:facepalm:

I've had two MK4 dubs and both were great, can't wait to go back to another one in the spring.

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-25-2009, 10:04 PM
Originally posted by gpomp
:rofl:

QFT Mk4s are not reliable at all generally.

Kardon
12-25-2009, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by btimbit

Says the guy with a Civic:facepalm:

Does shit flow upstream today?