PDA

View Full Version : Battery Smells like rotten eggs!

EuroDubbs
12-24-2009, 06:29 PM
Sooo recently my car has been acting up wierdly, the radio doesnt work unless the car is warm, the windshield wipers dont turn off unless the car is warm or i turn the car off and on again, the temperature gauge goes up and down, and the battery is emiting a smell of rotten eggs! i replaced the battery and the new one is starting to do the same thing! ive done some research and everything points to the altenator could the altenator cause all these problems?

RickDaTuner
12-24-2009, 06:35 PM
Chnage your alternator ASAP, the regulator is faulty and over charging your battery along with assulting your electrical with higher than rated voltage levels.

Be very careful when you are arround your battery as what you are smellig is H2S04 and is very explosive.

on some cars you can just change the regulator instead of the whole unit.

anothers10
12-24-2009, 10:01 PM
Take Ricks advise, everything said above is correct

nobb
12-24-2009, 10:02 PM
Most likely it's the alternator. But to be sure, get a multimeter and measure what the voltage is with the engine off (after its been sitting for a while) and engine on. Engine off voltage should be above 12v if the battery is holding a charge properly. Engine on voltage should be 13V - 15V. Anything more than 15V and its likely that the overvoltage is boiling your battery.

kevie88
12-24-2009, 10:16 PM
Yep, more specifically it's the voltage regulator. See if you can replace the voltage regulator seperately.

*edit* rick beat me to it.