PDA

View Full Version : Reccomend me a phone

btimbit
12-25-2009, 08:12 PM
Hiya,

I'm in the market for a new phone, anyone have any suggestions? GSM only.

dj_rice
12-25-2009, 08:15 PM
http://www.vertu.com/

btimbit
12-25-2009, 08:31 PM
Tad too expensive. I should have mentioned that I'd rather it be under $250. I'm willing to pay more than that, but it would have to really impress me for me to spend that much.

dino_martini
12-25-2009, 09:33 PM
Can't help you out without more details.

Smart phone? Dumb phone?
3g?
wifi?
camera?
full keyboard?
touch screen?
$250 with or without contract?

InLoveWitRSX
12-25-2009, 09:50 PM
Get an iphone if you're using it more for entertainment(games, fun apps), or get a blackberry if you're using it more for business/emails stuff like that.

btimbit
12-25-2009, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by dino_martini
Can't help you out without more details.

Smart phone? Dumb phone?
3g?
wifi?
camera?
full keyboard?
touch screen?
$250 with or without contract?

$250 without contract, unlocked or a Rogers phone.

Preferably a touchscreen, but doesn't matter. Never had a touchscreen phone and want to try it this time.

Camera preferred, 2MP or more. 3g and wifi not important.

Earlier today I was looking at both the Samsung S5233

http://www.famegadget.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/05/samsung-star-s5230.jpg

And the Samsung Omnia II if I could find a decently priced one.

http://www.mobilewhack.com/wp-content/pics/2009/06/samsung-omnia-2-ii.jpg

But I decided to wait and see if there were any boxing day deals on newegg.ca or somewhere else. Now I'm just shopping around, but might go back to either of those two. Just wanted to see what everyone would recommend.

Kardon
12-25-2009, 10:28 PM
Well if my experience with windows mobile has taught me anything (moto Q, treo 700wx, omnia 1), stay the fuck away. Its cool when you think of it as a totally customizable little pc in your pocket, but really, it feels like even on nice phones (omnia) it was such a resource hog, and I did not like the way it handled data connections. BB makes MUCH better smartphone software, and the iPhone is great for what it is, but really needs a couple tweaks to be the email monster the BB is. iPhone is better for fun shit, like browsing and watching videos.

btimbit
12-25-2009, 10:55 PM
Hmm, good call. My last phone (the one I just lost) was a Samsung Blackjack, and I didn't like Windows Mobile. It was Windows Mobile 5. Apparently mobile 6 was much better, but I doubted it.

Kardon
12-26-2009, 04:32 AM
I must say, if you want a Windows type experience with customization and pocket PCness, look into a Android phone. VERY nice stuff there.

GoChris
12-26-2009, 09:23 AM
Originally posted by Kardon
I must say, if you want a Windows type experience with customization and pocket PCness, look into a Android phone. VERY nice stuff there.

x2 on the android, you could get a rogers htc magic for $250

dino_martini
12-27-2009, 02:56 AM
WinMo isn't great, but I think its better than S60 (Nokia).

$250 isn't that much when you want to buy off contract. You can probably pick up a BlackBerry Bold 9000 for around that much. That is what I would recommend, the 9000 is a great phone.

Maybe iPhone 3g's have hit the $250 price point, I couldn't tell you. Just keep shopping around is all I can say.

bball2
12-29-2009, 12:52 AM
http://www.woohome.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/12/gun-cell-phone.jpg

Highly recommended. For some reason people actually end up giving me free money when I whip it out a the cashier. :thumbsup:

Dehvee
12-29-2009, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Kardon
Well if my experience with windows mobile has taught me anything (moto Q, treo 700wx, omnia 1), stay the fuck away. Its cool when you think of it as a totally customizable little pc in your pocket, but really, it feels like even on nice phones (omnia) it was such a resource hog, and I did not like the way it handled data connections. BB makes MUCH better smartphone software, and the iPhone is great for what it is, but really needs a couple tweaks to be the email monster the BB is. iPhone is better for fun shit, like browsing and watching videos.

This.

I have the X1i. Stay away from windows mobile unless you like memory leaks, random freezes, and constant soft-resets/ram cleaning. However, I do love my TF3D.