PDA

View Full Version : VW Monsoon Audio Mods

Nissan162
12-25-2009, 11:23 PM
I just bought a 2000 VW gti glx and it comes standard with the monsoon audio system
the sound is excellent but i want to upgrade ... i just have a few questions

first is can i upgrade the oem amp to an aftermarket amp but keep the factory head unit or do i have to replace the headunit and the amp?

secondly if anyone knows what are the specs of the factory system in there
all i know is that it has 8 speakers with 200watts but what are each speakers wattage and how many are tweeters, woofers...etc?

and lastly all i really want to do is install a subwoofer can i do that with out modifying the factory system... or at least not modifying it too much?

if anyone can help me that would be awsome :confused:

nismodrifter
12-26-2009, 09:15 AM
Answers to pretty much all your questions here:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=1835863

FiveFreshFish
12-26-2009, 06:31 PM
Not sure why you'd want to upgrade if you believe the sound is already "excellent." I have the exact same car and also share your opinion on the sound system so I bought a wired ipod adapter, keeping the AM/FM cassette head unit which is great for theft deterrence.

Replaced the single DIN CD player with a cubby hole and swapped out all the wood trim with black. I like the look of the black plastic trim over the GLX wood trim. The folding cup holder is a worthwhile upgrade to a later version, like '02 and up I believe.