PDA

View Full Version : Canadian World Juniors.

89s1
12-26-2009, 05:51 PM
One game in the bag, and a record breaking win.

Our biggest shutout victory in tournament history, 16-0 against the Latvian team.

Notably, Gabriel Bourque Tied a record for most points in a game with 7.

Go Canada! :thumbsup: :bigpimp:

TeamBestBud
12-26-2009, 05:57 PM
Greg Nemisz:clap: :goflames:

Twin_Cam_Turbo
12-26-2009, 05:58 PM
Fucking Awesome!

sloan
12-26-2009, 08:35 PM
I'm sure the swiss wont be much of challenge either.

bball2
12-27-2009, 12:19 AM
6 more goals (16) than Latvia had shots (10) :thumbsup:

95teetee
12-27-2009, 09:53 AM
I got a kick out of that one play (late second period?) where one of our boys takes a dive and we get a powerplay on the hook anyway- nice to see the refs want competitive hockey too.

calgarys_finest
12-27-2009, 10:11 AM
Latvia has 1500 people under 20 to choose from where as Canada has over 325000 so i think they did pretty good considering. But thats not saying too much i guess. Our first 2 games wont be great but it will get better.

89s1
12-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by calgarys_finest
Latvia has 1500 people under 20 to choose from where as Canada has over 325000 so i think they did pretty good considering. But thats not saying too much i guess. Our first 2 games wont be great but it will get better.

Really?

I think it looked the same on the scoreboard as on the ice. they literally had 2 scoring opportunities on 10 shots in a 60 minute game. :nut:

If they did score, it would have been because our goalie was at the concession stand getting a tub of popcorn.

TeamBestBud
12-28-2009, 05:48 PM
6-0!!

ExtraSlow
12-28-2009, 06:21 PM
I actually thought that the swiss goalie did a pretty decent job. He was facing a lot of good shots, so it's no surprise that some went in.

max_boost
12-28-2009, 06:59 PM
Don't know how things work but what the hell is Latvia doing in this tournament? :nut: :dunno:

95EagleAWD
12-29-2009, 01:21 AM
Totally just bought an awesome green jersey.

:bigpimp:

Johny
12-29-2009, 01:32 AM
ridiculous game lol

extm88
12-29-2009, 01:57 AM
Am i the only one somewhat embarassed by the actions of the coaching staff?
Your playing latvia for god sakes. hit 10 zip and start dumping it in. These guys were going for highlight dangles etc. I was rattled.
Canada actually has just under 600k people registered in minor hockey. Compare that to latvia or the swiss and i think they did pretty damn good.
Show some class and ease up on the play once you know its over.

Aleks
12-29-2009, 02:21 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Don't know how things work but what the hell is Latvia doing in this tournament? :nut: :dunno:

When you look at it not many nations around the world really care about hockey so it's hard to have decent tournaments with good teams. They should just cut it down to 4-6 best teams and leave the other ones out. It's just embarassing otherwise.

95EagleAWD
12-29-2009, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by extm88
Your playing latvia for god sakes. hit 10 zip and start dumping it in. These guys were going for highlight dangles etc. I was rattled.
Canada actually has just under 600k people registered in minor hockey. Compare that to latvia or the swiss and i think they did pretty damn good.

Tie breakers are counted by goal differential.

So there's no letting up, since you could technically lose the tournament if you only beat Latvia 10-0 and the Russians beat them 11-0 (and all your other goals were the same.)

calgarys_finest
12-29-2009, 07:43 AM

If i was Latvia i wouldnt want them to ease up. The nation is there to see how they rank they want them to play their best. When i was younger i went on a tour of New Zealand and played hockey against thier teams and one thing all the teams told us was to play as hard as we could.

C_Dave45
12-29-2009, 08:15 AM
I noticed, especially in the 3rd period, they started playing individually and making sloppy passes. I'm hoping Slovakia gives them a little better competition, otherwise when they face US on Thursday, they might find themselves a little surprised.

That Swiss goalie shouldn't be playing at this level. Dropping his stick all over the place...can't hang onto any rebound. You cant play at world championship level and have a mediocre goalie.

C_Dave45
12-29-2009, 08:27 AM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

Tie breakers are counted by goal differential.

So there's no letting up, since you could technically lose the tournament if you only beat Latvia 10-0 and the Russians beat them 11-0 (and all your other goals were the same.)

Exactly. If canada had "let up" at 10-zip, then Sweden would be ahead of Canada in goals by now (17), and therefore ahead of Canada in standings.
You can't let up in the World Juniors tournament.

95teetee
12-29-2009, 09:50 AM
Show some class and ease up on the play once you know its over. I'm 100% with you there. Even worse was the celebrating every goal like they had just won the Stanley Cup.

I knew someone would bring up the goal differential reason, just like the announcers brought it up as the reason to pile on. Don't they have a medal round? If so, you can't lose the tournament by scoring less goals than another team. You might not get a bye? Oh no. I thought we were a superior hockey nation. We shouldn't be scared of an extra game.

dr_jared88
12-29-2009, 10:01 AM
Originally posted by 95teetee
I'm 100% with you there. Even worse was the celebrating every goal like they had just won the Stanley Cup.

I knew someone would bring up the goal differential reason, just like the announcers brought it up as the reason to pile on. Don't they have a medal round? If so, you can't lose the tournament by scoring less goals than another team. You might not get a bye? Oh no. I thought we were a superior hockey nation. We shouldn't be scared of an extra game.

Oh yea because being cocky is a whole lot better then piling on goals. "We can take the extra game, we'll win anyway" haha. I don't care how good you are, once you hit medal rounds it takes one bad game to blow it so any team in their right mind would want to play for the easier route to the gold medal game.

95teetee
12-29-2009, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by dr_jared88

Oh yea because being cocky is a whole lot better then piling on goals. "We can take the extra game, we'll win anyway" haha. I don't care how good you are, once you hit medal rounds it takes one bad game to blow it so any team in their right mind would want to play for the easier route to the gold medal game. actually, thinking about it a little more, I get that part (because of the fact that there should actually be some competition from the top teams)

extm88
12-29-2009, 02:39 PM
Look at the pool were in ( I understand how they make the pools and its not Canadas fault however ide be willing to bet anyone we finish the tournament with the best gf/ga ratio even if we started playing dump and chase after 10.
To each his own, im just expressing my oppinion.
On a side not, i would love to see a north america vs world game for juniors.

Doozer
12-29-2009, 02:43 PM
I'm not a big fan of the rules - I think the tournament should be changed so that goal differential isn't a tiebreaker. However, until it is, this is what's going to happen, and it has to happen.

It's just not logical for Canada to willingly take a harder path to the Gold medal because they eased up on a team. So although it makes me cringe when I watch the goals pile on, I know it's what they have to do to give themselves every chance at a Gold.

And I didn't think the celebrations were over the top in the Latvia game. In fact, after about 10 goals, I don't think I even saw the scorers even lift their hands up to cheer. Sure, the other players congratulate them, but most of the time they just headed straight back to the bench.

89s1
12-29-2009, 03:11 PM
Originally posted by Doozer
I'm not a big fan of the rules - I think the tournament should be changed so that goal differential isn't a tiebreaker. However, until it is, this is what's going to happen, and it has to happen.

It's just not logical for Canada to willingly take a harder path to the Gold medal because they eased up on a team. So although it makes me cringe when I watch the goals pile on, I know it's what they have to do to give themselves every chance at a Gold.

And I didn't think the celebrations were over the top in the Latvia game. In fact, after about 10 goals, I don't think I even saw the scorers even lift their hands up to cheer. Sure, the other players congratulate them, but most of the time they just headed straight back to the bench.

I agree completely. They didn't celebrate the last goals much at all, a little congregation of the players (sometimes only the forwards even) on the ice to say "nice one" and then straight to the bench to bump fists with their team.

Latvia earned their way into the tournament by winning two preliminary games 7-1, it's just that Canada is one of the better teams, and by way of the groupings we got them as an opponent. Nothing wrong at all.

I also agree they should work on structure as much as possible, as it's easier to develop bad habits when you're playing a team that doesn't give much fight.

All that said, good luck to the boys in their game tonight. I'll catch a bit of it at the gym from the bike or something.

skyfx
12-30-2009, 03:17 AM

Why should they "let up", it only causes bad habits for the important games. One of the players said that the coaching staff told them not to let up during intermissions because he didn't want them creating bad habits later on. I agree with them.

Also lots of the junior players career's will be affected by tournaments like these, they need to impress the scouts and rack up all the points they can get.

C_Dave45
12-30-2009, 09:17 AM
Good god...all the whining about "should have let up"...."mercy rule"...."goal differential taken out"....Its not Tyke hockey or Tim Hortons "learn the game" hockey. Its the WORLD JUNIORS people..the best young players in the world. Why should ANY team let up...to make the other team "feel good"?? wahhhhhh. don't want to be embarassed? Dont send a team, or work on making a better one. Next you'll be wanting them to take out body-checking for the smaller teams or equal shift times so "everyone" can play the same amount. :rolleyes:

Cant wait for tomorrow's game. Should be a little closer. But man, can that Hrasko ever hit!!!

95teetee
12-30-2009, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
But man, can that Hrasko ever hit!!! that hip check was the best I've seen by anyone in probably five years.

C_Dave45
12-30-2009, 09:43 AM
that hip check was the best I've seen by anyone in probably five years.

Hahahaha...wasn't that a beauty!?!!! And not the cheap, low blow type of hip check that Kasparaitus used to throw. That was a clean check. I don't think many D know how to throw them anymore. And for a small guy, he's got a rocket of a shot from the point!

DJ Lazy
12-31-2009, 08:08 PM
Canada is playing like shit tonight... :thumbsdow

DJ Lazy
12-31-2009, 08:15 PM
EBERLE!!!!!!!!!! :clap:

DJ Lazy
12-31-2009, 08:29 PM
Another SH goal... :facepalm:

Doozer
12-31-2009, 10:39 PM
That game was insanity. To be honest, Canada was dominated through most of the game, but wow, what a 3rd and overtime. They took control in overtime, and the shootout was intense. Another must-watch game in the list of crazy World Junior matchups ...

DJ Lazy
12-31-2009, 10:57 PM
^^ If they could have played all 60mins of regulation the way they played in OT, we would have destroyed the US... Canada just did not have their shit together for 2 periods.

Another awesome comeback win though.. The Intensity was unreal! :clap:

Kobe
01-01-2010, 11:51 AM
I only watched the 3rd period of this, but it was a sick 3rd period...

Mibz
01-01-2010, 12:24 PM
They played the Shootout at the 'Dome. Holy eff was it intense. And loud. And awesome.

Stealth22
01-01-2010, 01:50 PM
Can't wait till the WJHC comes to Calgary in 2012..and Jordan Eberle is amazing. Its too bad...that young man's talent is going to be wasted with the Oilers :(

Stealth22
01-03-2010, 06:49 PM
Canada's goin for GOLD! Expected 6-1 victory over the Swiss...dirty hit by the one guy on Travis Hamonic though. Forget his name, its #15 I think on the Swiss team. He earned a 5 minute major and was ejected from the game..I hope the IIHF suspends him from the Bronze game for that! :whipped:

USA/Sweden game hasn't started yet, so we don't know who we'll face, and I hope Hamonic is okay...but we're in the Gold Medal Game!! :D

C_Dave45
01-03-2010, 07:59 PM
They better pick up their passing and the PP unit. Both were horrible in this game and the PP sucked in the US game. They were skating slow tonight. The only reason they won, is because the Swiss team is terrible. That goalie is a sieve. If they play like this against US again or Sweden, I could see a loss. They seem to have gotten lazy with each win.

Mibz
01-03-2010, 09:49 PM
Swedish Captain just got a 5 minute major and a game misconduct for what looked like an accidental -mild- hit.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw another angle. Shoulder to jaw and it didn't look accidental.

DJ Lazy
01-03-2010, 11:59 PM
Originally posted by Mibz
Swedish Captain just got a 5 minute major and a game misconduct for what looked like an accidental -mild- hit.

EDIT: Nevermind, just saw another angle. Shoulder to jaw and it didn't look accidental.

And Hamonic is out for the Gold Medal game.. :( That sucks.

Well, we already had one hell of a crazy Can VS USA game in this tourney, might as well have another!! :D

mr2mike
01-04-2010, 06:14 PM
Can't wait for this game on the 5th. But I'm hoping Canada shuts them down and doesn't allow so many breaks for the US team.
One good thing is we don't have Fleury in net. :poosie:

95EagleAWD
01-04-2010, 06:20 PM
Yes!!!!!

Finally got here.

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y220/95EagleAWD/IMG_5290.jpg

:love:

DJ Lazy
01-04-2010, 06:52 PM
Worst Canadian Jersey Ever! :barf: Hated it from the moment I saw it.

Sorry 95, but I can't share in your love for it! ;)

95teetee
01-04-2010, 07:14 PM
that reminds me of a question I had and never bothered asking- why the green jersey?

(edit- I don't mean why did you buy one, I mean why do we have one:D )

Wraith
01-04-2010, 07:19 PM
that reminds me of a question I had and never bothered asking- why the green jersey?

(edit- I don't mean why did you buy one, I mean why do we have one:D )

It's supposed to be a tribute to the riders :barf:

95EagleAWD
01-04-2010, 07:33 PM
Originally posted by Wraith

It's supposed to be a tribute to the riders :barf:

Who cares.

Looks awesome!

BerserkerCatSplat
01-04-2010, 10:48 PM
That green jersey looks excellent! :drool:

88CRX
01-05-2010, 12:17 AM
Love the green jersey!

I'd buy one but I already have a puke green jersey that Canada wore in that world cup tourny.

extm88
01-05-2010, 01:09 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
Good god...all the whining about "should have let up"...."mercy rule"...."goal differential taken out"....Its not Tyke hockey or Tim Hortons "learn the game" hockey. Its the WORLD JUNIORS people..the best young players in the world. Why should ANY team let up...to make the other team "feel good"?? wahhhhhh. don't want to be embarassed? Dont send a team, or work on making a better one. Next you'll be wanting them to take out body-checking for the smaller teams or equal shift times so "everyone" can play the same amount. :rolleyes:

Cant wait for tomorrow's game. Should be a little closer. But man, can that Hrasko ever hit!!!

You are oblivious my friend to the hockey world. Its Canadas game. If there was such a tournament with football we would be bickering about the US not letting up once it was 56-0. How can you honestly say there shouldnt be a mercy rule or something to eliminate the gf ga rule. I give so much credit to the teams that draw from a fraction of the players we do. They show up to a tourny that they know they wont win and still play their hearts out. Why embarass them? I know its not tyke but people still have pride and I hate seeing it taken from them when they do everything they can.
On a side note, props to the swiss for a hard fought win against the russians. I really wanna see them take the bronze

Benny
01-05-2010, 01:29 AM

You are oblivious my friend to the hockey world. Its Canadas game. If there was such a tournament with football we would be bickering about the US not letting up once it was 56-0. How can you honestly say there shouldnt be a mercy rule or something to eliminate the gf ga rule. I give so much credit to the teams that draw from a fraction of the players we do. They show up to a tourny that they know they wont win and still play their hearts out. Why embarass them? I know its not tyke but people still have pride and I hate seeing it taken from them when they do everything they can.

Fuck that. What if in a 10-0 game that Canada starts to let up in, the other team pots one? Do you think the guy who nets it is gonna feel any pride? This letting up horseshit would take all the integrity out of the tournament. If some shitty country puts together a team, gets into the tournament, plays every single game they have as hard as they can, and get swept; they have nothing to feel ashamed about.

Not to mention the fact that almost every kid in the tournament is being HEAVILY scouted by nhl agents. What better way to make a name for yourself than scoring a shitload of goals?

95EagleAWD
01-05-2010, 02:35 AM
Originally posted by BerserkerCatSplat
That green jersey looks excellent! :drool:

I'm enjoying it!

Its' not going over so well here in Alberta thought, haha!

Lots of "Buy a real jersey!"

:dunno:

DJ Lazy
01-05-2010, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by 95EagleAWD

I'm enjoying it!

Its' not going over so well here in Alberta thought, haha!

Lots of "Buy a red jersey!"

That's what it should say... :D

Kloubek
01-05-2010, 02:48 PM
I think the green jersey is absolutely retarded. We should stick to red and white, and if we do need a third colour - black. And the only reason black works is because it's completely neutral. And menacing. :)

darkrider911
01-05-2010, 03:42 PM
I surprisingly like those green Jerseys.... not better than the traditional Red ones but it's still kinda cool to see them, something different.

One thing that'll happen tonight is Canada losing to the Americans! Just wait and see, it'll be a great game but they definitely can't get another comeback against the blueshirts. WHOOP WHOOP! :D

extm88
01-05-2010, 04:16 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^^ Either Canada wins by a huge blowout or its a somewhat close game and the Americans take it.

JRSC00LUDE
01-05-2010, 04:22 PM
I'm off to the game in an hour n a half!!!!

Supa Dexta
01-05-2010, 06:55 PM
Anyone know a good place to stream...

em2ab
01-05-2010, 07:12 PM
If you're like me and you don't have cable, you can watch the game online, I'm doing it now.
Go to www.channelsurfing.net and click the link for the IIHF game. Install Silverlight and you're done.

roopi
01-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

http://www.atdhe.net/11334/watch-usa-vs-canada

calgarys_finest
01-05-2010, 07:15 PM
Canada scores first LUKE ADAM!!!!

DJ Lazy
01-05-2010, 07:41 PM
Originally posted by Supa Dexta

TSN.ca works pretty good. :dunno:

As for the Refs, if they are gonna call Canada for hitting from behind, they need to call the US as well... :banghead:

Supa Dexta
01-05-2010, 07:42 PM
Not in the USA.

em2ab
01-05-2010, 08:00 PM
2 streaming links on the previous page.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-05-2010, 08:12 PM
AGH how did that not go in!

BerserkerCatSplat
01-05-2010, 08:28 PM
MUCH better period for Canada, they just need to hit the net more often, haha.

89s1
01-05-2010, 08:59 PM
We're going to need some serious heroics here.

It's looking pretty bleak, Americans are playing good team defense with this lead and that new goaltender is playing solid for coming in cold.

Go boys go!

edit: The 2 goal lead is known as the worst lead in hockey...

Mibz
01-05-2010, 09:10 PM
I came upstairs cause I can't watch that shit anymore. Terrible passes leading to brutal turnovers. Guys that clearly aren't paying attention to their surroundings. This is the first game I've had a chance to watch the majority of and I don't know how we made it this far playing this poorly.

89s1
01-05-2010, 09:11 PM
They just scored

2:49 left

89s1
01-05-2010, 09:13 PM
OMFG its a tie game!!! we got seriously fired up after that 1 goal to come within one.

:bigpimp: :bigpimp: :bigpimp:

Mibz
01-05-2010, 09:14 PM
-Clearly- I'm bad luck when I'm watching games. Don't worry guys, I'll stay up here.

BerserkerCatSplat
01-05-2010, 09:17 PM
-Clearly- I'm bad luck when I'm watching games. Don't worry guys, I'll stay up here.

Could be both of us, I couldn't watch after the 10:00 mark, and apparently that when we stopped sucking. I'm not gonna jinx it either, haha!

signature7
01-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Crazy game. A little sloppy at times but damn, suspense+intensity =entertainment.

toyboy88
01-05-2010, 09:26 PM
Holy!!! Flipped over from the flames game with 4 minutes left in the CAN game, and BAM!

wooooo go canada go!

Impreza
01-05-2010, 09:27 PM
Eberle is CLUTCH.

88CRX
01-05-2010, 09:28 PM
With 10 minutes left destiny panics. Lol.

Eberly what!!!!

D'z Nutz
01-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Shat :(

89s1
01-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by D'z Nutz
Shat :(

:werd: :(

badatusrnames
01-05-2010, 09:39 PM
Damn.

TeamBestBud
01-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by badatusrnames
Damn.

roopi
01-05-2010, 09:46 PM
Great game. Could have had a better ending.

canadian_hustla
01-05-2010, 09:47 PM
Originally posted by TeamBestBud

:(

grizz
01-05-2010, 09:48 PM
This always seems to happen to them :banghead:

95teetee
01-05-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by grizz
This always seems to happen to them :banghead: really?
I thought it was the first loss in 6 years:dunno:

:)

C4S
01-05-2010, 09:50 PM
:( :( :(

Anyway, goood effort.

Mibz
01-05-2010, 09:50 PM
Sorry guys, I went downstairs to do the garbage. My bad.

89s1
01-05-2010, 09:51 PM

Stop posting in the hockey threads you stupid jackass, you don't know shit. :whipped:

Sorry guys, I went downstairs to do the garbage. My bad.

I laughed a little on the inside, I gotta say.

natejj
01-05-2010, 09:51 PM
At least flames won 5th in a row. Nice try boys.

Kloubek
01-05-2010, 09:53 PM

You're a freakin' idiot. Seriously. Stop being a poseur fan, ok?

It was one hell of a game. Seriously, the most exciting Jr. game I can recall watching. The comeback was absolutely insane. No, they didn't win - but they put one HELL of a fight. There is no shame in silver.

Well... there isn't MUCH shame in silver....

DJ Lazy
01-05-2010, 09:58 PM
I'm still sitting in shock... :(

Mibz, it's all your fault man! :D

89s1
01-05-2010, 10:00 PM
Easy to forgive mibz after that Kosher deli crack. :D

We only played to our potential when down a goal or 2, no way to win a gold medal if you ask me.

Stealth22
01-05-2010, 10:04 PM
It sucks, but at least we took em to OT..and I'll take Silver as long as Canada gets Gold in Vancouver!! :D

Atriux
I'm sitll in awe that there were 3 Canada players near or behind the USA net when 3 USA players were already at center ice...

Aleks
Originally posted by Kloubek

You're a freakin' idiot. Seriously. Stop being a poseur fan, ok?

It was one hell of a game. Seriously, the most exciting Jr. game I can recall watching. The comeback was absolutely insane. No, they didn't win - but they put one HELL of a fight. There is no shame in silver.

Well... there isn't MUCH shame in silver....

Maybe he meant against USA, as USA won their other gold against Canada. I can't believe that comment got him banned :rofl:

Either way anything but Gold for Canada seems to be a huge letdown.

Kobe
01-05-2010, 10:05 PM
Well played allen

C_Dave45
01-05-2010, 10:10 PM
Good God, what a game. My throat is sore from yelling. I kept saying at 5-3 "there's NO way they're coming back from this one.." Wow.

4 on 4 hockey is SO unforgiving. If you're out of position by 5 feet, you're done. What a heartbreaker. At least they got beat by a good shot and a good team. Man, what I wouldn't have given to be at that game.

darkrider911
01-05-2010, 10:26 PM
USA ALL THE WAY! USA ALL THE WAY! WHOOOOOOOO!

Great game though, some of the best hockey I've seen in such a long time. Canada kept it so close, they played so well.

89s1
01-06-2010, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

Maybe he meant against USA, as USA won their other gold against Canada. I can't believe that comment got him banned :rofl:

Either way anything but Gold for Canada seems to be a huge letdown.

It wasn't just that comment, the guy is a tool.

Kloubek
01-06-2010, 08:29 PM
Originally posted by 89s1

It wasn't just that comment, the guy is a tool.

I was gonna say... I doubt even the Beyond mods would ban him for one retarded comment.