PDA

View Full Version : Got Rear Ended...Should I look for a new car?

Weapon_R
12-27-2009, 09:51 PM
Just got rear ended on Christmas Eve with a car full of people. Luckily, no one was hurt. I called to file a claim against the other party's insurance but the adjuster assigned to me is off til the New Year so I can't even start the process until then.

Since I'm off til the New Year too, I figured I'd take the time to look for a car. I don't want to waste my time or those selling their cars, so I'll let you guys decide if you think this is going to be a write off or not. If the vehicle is written off, I'll already have a jump on the search. Pic attached, should I look for a new car?

http://img192.imageshack.us/img192/605/img0919ma.jpg

http://img691.imageshack.us/img691/6581/img0917i.jpg

soloracer
12-27-2009, 09:56 PM
I'm willing to be there is $4000-$5000 damage there. What year is the car?

ExtraSlow
12-27-2009, 10:03 PM
Has the gap of the rear door on the passenger side shrunk? If yes, it'll be a writeoff. if not, I'm giving you a 50/50 chance.
what's the black book value of your car?

nobb
12-27-2009, 10:05 PM
2000 - 2003 Protege. How many km's do you have on it? I'm guessing the car is probably worth $3000 - 8000 depending on the kms and year. FYI, if you want to fix this yourself I saw a 2002 Protege at Pick n Pull, exact same color as yours with the rear end intact.

max_boost
12-27-2009, 10:08 PM
Damn. Shitty deal. I would hope that it's a write off too.

What's the formula again? If repair bill > 75% of car's market value, then it's a write off.

What car were you think about?

shutterbug_art8
12-27-2009, 10:11 PM
I bet my left nut that's a write off.

Weapon_R
12-27-2009, 10:19 PM
It's an 01 with 120k if that helps. Not sure what's next but it'll be an SUV of some sorts.

Edit - gap on the door is the same on both sides so unchanged.

G-ZUS
12-27-2009, 10:46 PM
Hard to say it varies from insurance company to insurance company. I got rear ended 2 months, the damage wasn't that bad, but it was a 98 Honda Accord with 190 k on it. 4000 worth of damage according to Contemporary coachworks and they wouldn't write it off. Lucky no one was hurt, me and one of my friends got whiplash in the accident and it still hurts to this day.

black300
12-27-2009, 11:41 PM
I think that is repairable if there is no change in the distance from the door to the trunk.

Proboscis
12-28-2009, 02:31 AM
Very repairable!. All the shop should need for parts is the deck lid, hinges, latch, weatherstrip, and rh tail lamp. The bumper cover looks repairable same with the lh tail lamp pocket and rear panel. Shouldn't be a write-off with 120k.

88CRX
12-28-2009, 12:02 PM
Originally posted by Proboscis
Very repairable!. All the shop should need for parts is the deck lid, hinges, latch, weatherstrip, and rh tail lamp. The bumper cover looks repairable same with the lh tail lamp pocket and rear panel. Shouldn't be a write-off with 120k.

+ quarter panel

which equals big labour costs.

black13
12-28-2009, 04:18 PM
Originally posted by 88CRX

+ quarter panel

which equals big labour costs.

yea rear quart panel repair is big money and that looks like a big dent in it so probably a write off.

anschutz_92
12-28-2009, 04:42 PM
I'd be extremely surprised if that comes in under $4000

Weapon_R
12-28-2009, 05:07 PM
Went to Lou's today since it was on my way. The 1/4 panel can be repaired by pulling it out but the cross member that is underneath the bumper will have to be cut out and replaced. The trunk/spoiler/tail light and bumper will have to be replaced. He found some mechanical damage with the brake system after I pointed out that the e-brake light has been on since the collision.

He wouldn't give me the estimate though. He said that the insurance will have to request it and then I can ask them for a copy, so I still don't know what the total price will be. Tomorrow I'll head over to Contemporary and see what they say since they are pretty good about giving me a copy of the estimate.

G-ZUS
12-28-2009, 05:12 PM
Originally posted by Weapon_R
Went to Lou's today since it was on my way. The 1/4 panel can be repaired by pulling it out but the cross member that is underneath the bumper will have to be cut out and replaced. The trunk/spoiler/tail light and bumper will have to be replaced. He found some mechanical damage with the brake system after I pointed out that the e-brake light has been on since the collision.

He wouldn't give me the estimate though. He said that the insurance will have to request it and then I can ask them for a copy, so I still don't know what the total price will be. Tomorrow I'll head over to Contemporary and see what they say since they are pretty good about giving me a copy of the estimate.

They will give you it on the spot

Weapon_R
12-29-2009, 09:13 PM
For those interested, the damage came out to be just under $7,200 for the body and around $2200 for the undercarriage damage. Nearly 10k on a car worth less than half of that :banghead:

Tik-Tok
12-29-2009, 09:50 PM
For those interested, the damage came out to be just under $7,200 for the body and around $2200 for the undercarriage damage. Nearly 10k on a car worth less than half of that :banghead:

Wow.

Well, at least you know it's a write-off now. Time to hunt for a new one.

I remember when my wife got into an accident in my car, while we were still dating. I took it into Lou's, and the guy looked at it, and asked "Do you WANT it to be a write-off?"

I said, sure, lol. Got $2800 for a car I bought for $1700 one month earlier.

ExtraSlow
12-30-2009, 08:20 AM
I did pretty well when I had a car written off. Had bought it from the in-laws for the "family" price, decided I didn't like it after about six months. Got-rear ended and insurance wrote me a cheque for about $3k more than I paid for it. Bought a car I liked more.

Weapon_R
12-31-2009, 12:58 AM
Yeah we went to test drive a Grand Cherokee LTD today. I think that'll be the next car if things go as planned as we both liked it.

Stealth22
12-31-2009, 01:50 AM
Yeah we went to test drive a Grand Cherokee LTD today. I think that'll be the next car if things go as planned as we both liked it.

Word of advice? STAY AWAY FROM CHRYSLER.

Maybe its just me, but from bad experiences of family and a few friends...we (meaning my family and a few family friends) just don't bother with Chrysler.

Years ago, we were mostly GM people..nowadays, its pretty much Japanese cars. But if I had to go domestic, I'd almost be willing to trust GM one more time, or even Ford, if I looked into the car extensively.

But Chrysler will never, ever be on my shopping list.

Like I said, this is just based on my opinions- take it how you want to...just tread carefully. And congrats in advance on the new car, whichever model it may be! :thumbsup: :D

G-ZUS
12-31-2009, 11:03 AM

What year Grand Cherokee?

D. Dub
12-31-2009, 02:54 PM
Have you looked at the Grand Cherokee CRD -- with the Mercedes turbodiesel?

bourge73
12-31-2009, 03:31 PM
well maybe new I agree I wouldnt touch them, but maybe he is after used ? Jeeps (Iam partial ok) are excellent choices. I have a 97 Cherokee (sport mind you) and its been great as a winter beater/all around vehicle. If its a used one off warranty they are big, roomy, cheap (parts wise too) powerful and reliable would have no prob recommening a used one.

Weapon_R
12-31-2009, 07:54 PM
I'm not crazy about Chrysler either, but I do like the cherokee ltd's. I have read a lot of horror stories but there isn't much you can get for the same amount of money. I'll keep up the search, I still have a week before my rental goes back anyways.

Proboscis
01-01-2010, 04:17 AM
What a sell out! $7200 body plus $2000 for frame. Your protege is so fixable under $2000.

Sebasshole
01-02-2010, 01:01 PM
Try to help you out.

What model is your car ex lx se?
auto or manual
sunroof?
air?

this is a Se 120 000km with auto tranny and a/c

Your trade-in estimate based on :
Vehicle : 2001 Mazda Protege SE 4D Sedan
Odometer : 120000
Options :
Low † : $1,590

High † : $2,790
† Less reconditioning costs

that is canadian black book.

if you want a better estimate post model and options and i will update you.