PDA

View Full Version : Review: Vietwest Restaurant

B18C
12-28-2009, 08:02 PM
Vietwest Vietnamese Restaurant

Location: Thorncliffe, 4th street NW (beside the Shoppers Drugmart)

Food: 4/5

Had the satay beef noodle soup, satay beef bun vermicelli, and spring rolls. the pho was actually very good. Probably one of the better satay pho's that I've had in Calgary - comparable (but different) to Sunny's in Chinatown if that makes any sense hahaha. The satay vermicelli was also pretty good. The beef was a bit sweet so it depends if you like that or not in your vermicelli. The spring rolls were good as well. Fish sauce was the appropriate "strength" for me which seems to be one of my biggest complaints when go to vietnamese places in town. A lot of places seem to dilute it too much or something and it doesn't taste like anything.

Service: 4/5

Service was fine. Seated ourselves, ordered quickly, food came fast, and was hot. Didn't need any refills or anything. Went up to the front to pay. Pretty much
what I expect and want in a vietnamese place.

Ambience: 4/5

It's really hard for me to gauge this because I really don't care. The place was clean, didn't smell, and roomy.

Overall 4/5

I think our bill was around $25 for a decent sized bowl of pho and bun and an order of spring rolls. No drinks. So with tip $14 a person? A little less I guess overall not a fantastic value but I've come to accept that $5 bowls of pho are a thing of the past these days (at least in the NW).

Now I must say that I really went here with VERY low expectations so that may reflect my high marks for the place. I left satisfied and happy. Plus it seems like a nice little family run restaurant.

Mostwanted
12-28-2009, 08:14 PM
Thank you. Im one of the servers there
its actually owned by my gfs family

FiveFreshFish
12-28-2009, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by B18C
Vietwest Vietnamese Restaurant

Location: Thorncliffe, 4th street NW (beside the Shoppers Drugmart)

Food: 4/5

Thanks for the review. I'll have to give them a try. Haven't yet found any place with soup as good as Noodle King (as far as satay noodle soup goes).

Originally posted by Mostwanted
Thank you. Im one of the servers there
its actually owned by my gfs family

What are the hours?

van
12-28-2009, 09:40 PM
This place isn't too bad at all, used to go down there all the time when I worked in a building near there.

FiveFreshFish
12-31-2009, 01:51 AM
Went there today. I had the chicken satay and my buddy had the beef satay. The soup is sweeter and had more peanuts in it than any other pho I've had in Calgary. Definitely different, but decent.

Had to ask for water, and tea is not included.

Asian customers were a minority there during the time we ate. Wonder if this means anything. :rofl:

dum41
01-05-2010, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
What are the hours?

11-8 Sunday to Thursday, 11-8:30 Fridays and Saturdays. At least I'm pretty sure. It's actually my family's restaurant but I don't work Fridays and Saturdays so I'm ashamed to say I'm not entirely sure for those hours.

But I'm pretty sure.

bubbley
01-05-2010, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by dum41

11-8 Sunday to Thursday, 11-8:30 Fridays and Saturdays. At least I'm pretty sure. It's actually my family's restaurant but I don't work Fridays and Saturdays so I'm ashamed to say I'm not entirely sure for those hours.

But I'm pretty sure.

Way to stay on top of it

B18C
07-04-2010, 10:42 PM
This is quickly becoming my favorite viet restaurant in the NW. Was just there last monday. Got there at 6:15, ordered, ate, paid and outta there by 6:45.

Food was good though I think they used the seafood satay soup for my beef satay as soup tasted a bit like shrimp. Was still good though.

Only complaint, they charge for tea.

sabad66
07-04-2010, 11:17 PM
Gonna have to give this place a shot... I wonder if it's any better than pho thanh in hunterhorn.

Stunt66
07-28-2010, 05:04 PM
I don't mean to be racist or anything but all pho reviews should state whether or not op is asian. I went to vietwest a couple of months ago and it was good for the nw but pho thanh is definately better for that area. Pho thanh is packed with asians and for an asian restaurant that's better than any review.

thextinct
07-28-2010, 10:40 PM
I would love to give the m a try.
Is this the complete address of the place?
5616 4 Street Northwest, Calgary, AB, Canada‎

Thanks!

[Yu]
07-28-2010, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Stunt66
I don't mean to be racist or anything but all pho reviews should state whether or not op is asian. I went to vietwest a couple of months ago and it was good for the nw but pho thanh is definately better for that area. Pho thanh is packed with asians and for an asian restaurant that's better than any review.

And no offence to your comment, but whose to say a white person does not know their viet food? As far as I know, Asian could mean a whole lot of things. If they were Viet, then I can see a more sound argument.

Also, to get back on track... how is the size of the bowl for pho here? How does it compare to Pho Thanh, since this place is my favourite place, along with Sunny's, Pho Dau Bo, and Basil.

phreezee
07-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Do they serve culantro with their pho?

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_E7QwOn_G3ZI/SnnrB2O1lGI/AAAAAAAACjc/ejoO8pZ1Qu8/s400/Culantro+jagged+edge.jpg

K3RMiTdot
07-29-2010, 05:09 PM
just wanna dbl check, is this also beside the subway and the liquor store? near the royal bank.

Disoblige
07-29-2010, 06:45 PM
Holy crap. I was looking at this thread and thought it would be a terrible review for this place, but then I realized this is the location in Thorncliffe and not downtown area.

http://www.worldweb.com/Uploads/Reviews/file-29-27-file0.jpg

I'm glad, because the one on 239 - 12 Avenue Southwest (picture above) SUCKS BALLS! Terrible, terrible.

dj_rice
07-29-2010, 06:50 PM
Originally posted by phreezee

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_E7QwOn_G3ZI/SnnrB2O1lGI/AAAAAAAACjc/ejoO8pZ1Qu8/s400/Culantro+jagged+edge.jpg

Thats not cilantro, I can't remember what that weed is....:banghead:

bignerd
07-29-2010, 11:32 PM
Looks like dandelion leaves if you ask me.........

Speed_69
07-30-2010, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Disoblige
Holy crap. I was looking at this thread and thought it would be a terrible review for this place, but then I realized this is the location in Thorncliffe and not downtown area.

http://www.worldweb.com/Uploads/Reviews/file-29-27-file0.jpg

I'm glad, because the one on 239 - 12 Avenue Southwest (picture above) SUCKS BALLS! Terrible, terrible.
This was actually theirs. The 12 Ave location closed down and they moved up to Thorncliffe.

Disoblige
07-30-2010, 12:40 AM
Yikes, maybe they stepped up their game then.

I went with my mom when I was a wee kid at age 9-10 and it was HORRIBLE. Then went again when I was 15-16 and still had the same opinion..

Could be different now I guess!

eb0i
07-30-2010, 09:51 AM
Originally posted by phreezee

Originally posted by dj_rice

Thats not cilantro, I can't remember what that weed is....:banghead:

Originally posted by bignerd
Looks like dandelion leaves if you ask me.........

That's called "ngo gai" in Vietnamese and is traditionally served with pho.

Here it is on wiki:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eryngium_foetidum

relyt92
08-05-2010, 05:43 PM
Originally posted by thextinct
I would love to give the m a try.
Is this the complete address of the place?
5616 4 Street Northwest, Calgary, AB, Canada‎

Thanks! Yes it is

Originally posted by K3RMiTdot
just wanna dbl check, is this also beside the subway and the liquor store? near the royal bank. Yeah, it's 2 or 3 doors down from the liquor store.

Gooseberry
09-18-2010, 10:13 PM
Tried this place today. Found the soup to be pretty good but pretty stingy with everything (noodles, meat) when comparing price and portion to Pho Thanh.

bleu
11-07-2010, 02:12 AM
Originally posted by Gooseberry
Tried this place today. Found the soup to be pretty good but pretty stingy with everything (noodles, meat) when comparing price and portion to Pho Thanh.

I'd have to agree. I found that the soup was a bit watered down compared to Sunny's. Its one of the better places in the NW though.