PDA

View Full Version : Moving 42 inch LCD.

wardpr68
12-29-2009, 04:58 AM
Hey everyone, moving down to Lethbridge in a week and I am taking my 42 inch LCD with me. Anyone have any advice on moving it safely? I was thinking a blanket or towel all around, some bubble wrap, and then some plastic wrap or something around all that.

Anyone ever moved a large flat panel before?

eblend
12-29-2009, 08:01 AM
nothing to it, wrap it in a blanket and stand it up in the back. Prop it up to stand in that position with something else. Best is to keep any pressure away from the actual pannel. You could also put it down laying on the back. It's nothing special really

wardpr68
12-29-2009, 01:08 PM
Ya I am moving a ton of stuff so I was just going to put it on its back on top of all the stuff... there is pretty much no chance it would move. I just heard it was bad to lay them on their back.

AE92_TreunoSC
12-29-2009, 01:26 PM
I moved mine with the stand removed, and the screen wrapped in its protective plastic which I saved. Then wrapped in blankets on top of all my bags and it was just fine. It spent about 4 hours on its back.

A regular sheet is fine, just make sure its not charged with static obviously. I just like to save the plastic from my screens/mattresses and shit like that so its easy when it comes time to move them.

Powdercoat17
12-29-2009, 01:31 PM
if it gets cold dont plug it in until it reaches back to room temp and its okay to lay it on its back too if thats easier.

wardpr68
12-29-2009, 01:47 PM
yea i knew about the warming up thing... that would suck haha.

Thanks for the help guys.

ExtraSlow
12-29-2009, 03:40 PM
When I moved my moving company wouldn't touch it, so I had to move it myself. No problem to put it in the back seat of my car, wrapped in a blanket and strapped in in case of a sudden stop.
I always prefer to move any glass or TV with it in the upright position.

Zero102
12-29-2009, 10:06 PM
I have moved mine in my car twice, strapped into the back seat upright wrapped in blankets, making sure there was nothing putting pressure on the screen. For the last move I found a box from a very similar TV and packed it up like when it was brand new then loaded it into the truck on it's back. 3 moves and it hasn't suffered a bit.

S13_Ryan
12-30-2009, 12:09 AM
Your not supposed to store or transport a TV flat on its back for an extended period, they should always be kept upright if possible.

wrap it in a blanket and throw it in the back seat of your car like the above post says and keep it away from everything else. if you have a thick peice of cardboard to throw ontop of the blanket to protect the screen thats probably your best bet.
My buddy ruined a tv moving last year.
whatever you do keep it seperate from everything else your moving.

revelations
12-30-2009, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by S13_Ryan
Your not supposed to store or transport a TV flat on its back for an extended period, they should always be kept upright if possible.

Curious, whats the technical reason for this? (same for Plasma/LCD?)

ronaldo123
12-30-2009, 02:08 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

Mitsu3000gt
12-30-2009, 02:38 AM
LCD's should be fine laid down for few hours or a short trip, but if you can transport it upright do so. It's plasmas you really need to be careful with. Often LCD's are delivered to stores laid flat on pallets from the factory.

Plasmas shouldn't be laid flat because the glass is very heavy and can crack if you hit a bump or something (LCD's do not have the same heavy glass panel). People have gotten away with it, but it's a terrible idea.

wardpr68
12-30-2009, 05:54 PM
I think my buddy is coming down so I will just lay it across his backseat buckled in... it would be a tight fit in my car with everything else, I can see something hitting it.