PDA

View Full Version : Internship Outside Canada

r0g3r
12-30-2009, 03:37 AM
Hey, I was wondering if anyone has gone on an internship internationally (other than Switzerland)?

Can you please share how you went about doing so? What was the process?

I'm really interested in working in Asia, specifically singapore but yeah not sure how the international internshp works. Please share your experience! Thanks

bashir26
12-30-2009, 10:56 AM
I'm interested in this as well (including switzerland)

Ebon
12-30-2009, 12:21 PM
Depends whether or not the specific group recruits at your school or if you have a connection at the group. Other than that I can only think of using the Boston career fair if you want a shot at Asia (japan).

Pahnda
12-30-2009, 12:42 PM
The group that handles Canadian internships in Japan is the Canada-Japan Co-Op Program. They're who I went through for my engineering internship but they also had connections for positions in business, etc..

It may be a bitch to find jobs through them now though, since the Japanese government disbanded the group that was the main resource for jobs...

yaarrr link (http://japan.coop.apsc.ubc.ca/index.php)

AG_Styles
01-02-2010, 11:05 PM
I did my internship in Shanghai for Ubisoft. It seems that the mentality of a lot of Chinese companies are that intern experience should be free and volunteer-based. Then they simply have to provide you with some sort of place to stay and cover 3 basic meals a day.

I'd recommend getting into a more international company that has an office looking for an intern in Asia. Would save you a lot of hassle and not try to sucker you in terms of pay and benefits. As long as you are able to use the position for your internship requirements (check with the internship/coop office), you should be fine. Because apparently Chinese companies dont consider internship experience applicable as real work experience for some retarded reason.

But this is in China, not Singapore so i dont know if it's pretty much the same mentality or not even though I grew up in Singapore.