PDA

View Full Version : WRX Limited or Base Sti

Pages : [1] 2

jonnycat
12-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Bored of my current cars and thinking of trading out.

I figured the limited WRX would be sufficient until I inspected a base Sti. I always thought they were $50k base plus options but found that the base starts at $39K There's really only $4k difference between the two, mind you the Limited WRX has some of the tech options (DVD, moonroof etc.) that the base sti doesn't.

I know the WRX can match the sti hp#'s easily with $4000 in mods, but I really like the overall look of the STi vs. the WRX. I am looking for level headed opinions as to why the Sti is worth the $4000 more while losing a few tech options, or why the WRX should be sufficient and kee some cash in pocket.

That.Guy.S30
12-31-2009, 07:37 PM
the tranny itself is worth the difference. you also get brembos, more power (although the wrx265 can outrun it). not to mention better suspension. you also get better diffs.

you depends what you want.

Idratherbsidewayz
12-31-2009, 07:45 PM
Originally posted by jonnycat
Bored of my current cars and thinking of trading out.

I figured the limited WRX would be sufficient until I inspected a base Sti. I always thought they were $50k base plus options but found that the base starts at $39K There's really only $4k difference between the two, mind you the Limited WRX has some of the tech options (DVD, moonroof etc.) that the base sti doesn't.

I know the WRX can match the sti hp#'s easily with $4000 in mods, but I really like the overall look of the STi vs. the WRX. I am looking for level headed opinions as to why the Sti is worth the $4000 more while losing a few tech options, or why the WRX should be sufficient and kee some cash in pocket.

What about getting a 2007 Sti from the States for around 24g's ($31,000 CDN imported). My favorite body style.

Or an Sti limited: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/cars-sale/175585-fs-07-sti-limited-31-ugm-price-dropped.html

jonnycat
12-31-2009, 08:37 PM
It has to be the hatchback. Otherwise it's just not feasible.
I want to lease one so no matter what I'd need to buy up here.

anschutz_92
12-31-2009, 11:04 PM
The wide body and transmission alone is worth $4000.

If you want the moonroof and nav than IMO you are looking at the wrong vehicle. The STI is still a bit too raw to be a comfortable daily driver, there is no point trying to add accessories to try to make it that which it is not. It still rattles like a 25k Impreza, possibly worse because the suspension is a lot firmer. In actual city driving you would hard pressed to find a difference in performance between the Spec B and STI. The difference being that get a bit of luxury with the Legacy and it's a more grown up image.

Have you considered the Spec B?

If you choose to go with an WRX or STI get a 2010. 08/09 models have a bad tune and/or poor engine tolerances and keep blowing ringlands. Yes Subaru is replacing all these engines but it definitely is a hassle. I know you aren't planning on keeping the car a long time (leasing) but having a motor replaced definitely affects resale and limits potential buyers. Sucks being without a car for two or three weeks as well.

4doorj
12-31-2009, 11:27 PM
I say STI, you will regret it later.
Just because you can make it just as fast in a straight line doesnt make it just as good. STI handles,brakes and looks way better.
Plus like you said you could spend $4000 later to make it just as fast. Might as well do it right away.

Aleks
01-01-2010, 12:00 AM
Either base WRX or STI.

Base WRX is cheap to lease, STI is more fun to drive and looks better. In a straight line there is no difference. Both cars have ran high 12s stock in US.

WRX is very soft. Good for DD. STI is a bit firmer, has better feeling shifter and suspension but still not that great. In the end I chose the WRX because it was cheaper to lease than a Corolla when I bought mine.

jonnycat
01-07-2010, 05:56 PM
Assuming test drive goes well Saturday, I just bought a Base 2010 WRB STi. I never even got around to sitting in a WRX. Everything about the STi gave me wood. It was as if this car was built just for me.

Biggest problem is now I have to stop flipping cars for at least 3 years. My lifetime average is now at 1.667 years per car.

max_boost
01-07-2010, 06:54 PM
Yeah if the STi doesn't work out, the WRX is a great alternative.

And you don't need $4000 in mods to match/beat it in a straight line, a Cobb reflash for $700 will do the trick.

benyl
01-08-2010, 12:14 AM
Originally posted by max_boost

And you don't need $4000 in mods to match/beat it in a straight line, a Cobb reflash for $700 will do the trick.

It aint no STI. Can't you get a Cobb reflash for the STI?

It's about the SUM of the parts. That is why an STI, M, AMG, etc... will always be better than the next model down with mods.

KandabashiDevil
01-08-2010, 12:40 AM

Buying an Accessport produces STI performance?
Keep dreaming.

Good call in test driving the STI! I'll wager that the people downplaying the advantages of the STI are driving base model WRX's.
I love mine. It melts tires at +30c and fires happily at -30c.
Every time I drive base model WRX's, I feel like I'm driving an Accord.

The only negative aspect is that your lease option won't let you modify :(

That.Guy.S30
01-08-2010, 12:53 AM
^ a wrx 265 with a a/p will match or beat the STi in straight line performance.
corners.. probably not.

max_boost
01-08-2010, 01:16 AM

I know the WRX can match the sti hp#'s easily with $4000 in mods

You mofo's! :guns: We are talking strictly straight line and horsepower numbers, not talking about the brakes, suspension, seats, wheels or taking it around corners and whatever else makes the STi superior. :rofl:

Of course the 265 is no STi. I'm not stupid, I drive a _____ :D

Anyway, how stiff is the STi? I've never driven one but always assumed they were track oriented. I prefer the WRX because I like the Accord comfort but with wicked straight line go. :burnout:

I'm also not quite sold on the hatch. I very much prefer the sedan. :dunno:

donaldjeo
01-08-2010, 01:16 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

max_boost
01-08-2010, 01:18 AM
^^^

WTF? :rofl:

Someone ban this mofo:english::hijack:

jonnycat
01-08-2010, 01:23 AM
Originally posted by donaldjeo

Mean full:rofl:

Best of luck with the exams.

gpomp
01-08-2010, 05:02 AM
the wrx is not only faster in a straight line, but around a race track as well.

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/the_lightning_lap_2009-feature/ll1_3a_2009_subaru_impreza_wrx_3e_3_3a16.6_page_4

Aleks
01-08-2010, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by KandabashiDevil

Buying an Accessport produces STI performance?
Keep dreaming.

Good call in test driving the STI! I'll wager that the people downplaying the advantages of the STI are driving base model WRX's.
I love mine. It melts tires at +30c and fires happily at -30c.
Every time I drive base model WRX's, I feel like I'm driving an Accord.

The only negative aspect is that your lease option won't let you modify :(

Originally posted by gpomp

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/the_lightning_lap_2009-feature/ll1_3a_2009_subaru_impreza_wrx_3e_3_3a16.6_page_4

:rofl:

.."The latest WRX still has us scratching our collective heads. On a drag strip, it equals the quarter-mile time (13.5 seconds) of its big brother, the STI, and is 2.4 seconds quicker around the Virginia racetrack than the STI we lapped in 2008. Subaru, tell us: Why does the more expensive, presumably higher-zoot STI exist if it can’t outperform its little brother, the WRX?.."

heavyD
01-08-2010, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by gpomp

http://www.caranddriver.com/features/09q4/the_lightning_lap_2009-feature

Scroll down for the list at the bottom of the page and you will see that both cars are pretty slow when compared to cars like the MS3 or even Genesis V6 and not even close to the EVO X MR, IX MR, 135i, or Mustang GT on a track. The WRX and STI are great cars in a straight line but below average in the handling department. They are more for the driver that likes to have a fast street car but not for people that like to track their cars.

max_boost
01-08-2010, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by Aleks

:rofl:

.."The latest WRX still has us scratching our collective heads. On a drag strip, it equals the quarter-mile time (13.5 seconds) of its big brother, the STI, and is 2.4 seconds quicker around the Virginia racetrack than the STI we lapped in 2008. Subaru, tell us: Why does the more expensive, presumably higher-zoot STI exist if it can’t outperform its little brother, the WRX?.."

WTF

That's a joke right? :rofl:

Originally posted by heavyD

Scroll down for the list at the bottom of the page and you will see that both cars are pretty slow when compared to cars like the MS3 or even Genesis V6 and not even close to the EVO X MR, IX MR, 135i, or Mustang GT on a track. The WRX and STI are great cars in a straight line but below average in the handling department. They are more for the driver that likes to have a fast street car but not for people that like to track their cars.

Yeah, people like me who never go to the track haha

Idratherbsidewayz
01-08-2010, 12:03 PM
They are more for the driver that likes to have a fast street car but not for people that like to track their cars.

Subaru Impreza WRX STI (LL2, 2008) • 3:19.0
Subaru Impreza WRX (LL1, 2009) • 3:16.3
Mitsubishi Lancer Evolution MR (LL2, 2008) • 3:13.0

LOL, yea ok. Those 3 seconds are really going to make a giant difference to people. Don't track the Subaru it's sooooo slow. :rofl:

I'm sure both cars are still fun at the track. The only time you really care about lap times is in a race. A race trim STi or Evo would probably be fairly equally matched, so it's a moot point.

Just sitting in both cars, the difference in interior quality is staggering. The EVO feels like a slightly dressed up Lancer. Unbelievably cheap with way too much plastic. In comparison, the STi looks like a luxury sedan.

It is interesting/suspicious that the GE STi is slower than the WRX around a track (according to Car and Driver) ...

benyl
01-08-2010, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by Idratherbsidewayz

LOL, yea ok. Those 3 seconds are really going to make a giant difference to people. Don't track the Subaru it's sooooo slow. :rofl:

I'm sure both cars are still fun at the track. The only time you really care about lap times is in a race. A race trim STi or Evo would probably be fairly equally matched, so it's a moot point.

Haha, you have obviously never seen the body roll that happens to an STI in a corner.

ArjayAquino
01-08-2010, 12:13 PM

One of the main reasons for this is that Subaru designed the STi with heavy rally roots, and the evo was designed more as a street car than a rally car. Put any of those cars listed above against an STi in a dirt or snow course and the tables turn.

Seeing how our weather is around here, STi is a safe bet.

heavyD
01-08-2010, 12:21 PM

Just sitting in both cars, the difference in interior quality is staggering. The EVO feels like a slightly dressed up Lancer. Unbelievably cheap with way too much plastic. In comparison, the STi looks like a luxury sedan.

It is interesting/suspicious that the GE STi is slower than the WRX around a track (according to Car and Driver) ...

You obviously never track. 3 seconds is HUGE

Come on the dash on all WRX's is hard plastic with really cheezy early 2000 silver, plastic panels. At least EVO MR's have leather/vinyl on the doors compared to the vintage Dodge Neon all plastic door panels on the WRX/STI. Neither can be mentioned in the same word as luxury. The EVO Recaros are 100 x better than the mini-van bolstered seats in the STI. What I am getting at is that interiors are a moot point with these cars.

I don't hate the STI in fact I almost bought one. The EVO is just a better driver's car and the engines don't pop like Subies.

heavyD
01-08-2010, 12:24 PM
Originally posted by ArjayAquino

Seeing how our weather is around here, STi is a safe bet.

Drive and EVO and STI back to back in a spirited manner. I did in the same day. I'm exaggerating a bit but the STI feels almost like an Accord in comparison. The cushy feeling of the STI for sure makes for a better daily driver for sure but the EVO is a world class handling car while the Subaru is not even close.

Aleks
01-08-2010, 12:41 PM

WTF

That's a joke right? :rofl:

Must be, otherwise why would anyone pay 7k more for an STI

;)

Idratherbsidewayz
01-08-2010, 01:32 PM
http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/7/M/6/1/08_sti_interior.jpg

http://z.about.com/d/cars/1/7/0/0/1/08_lancerevo_mrint.jpg

Cheap steering wheel, lame gauges, lame fake CF panel, waay cheaper look. I do agree about the STi seats though. I prefer my WRX seats 100x and the Evo Recaro's are quite heavenly.

I do realize that 3 seconds in a real race is a big deal. But who cares if it's just a track day. Thats more for fun than anything. You're not setting any records in your stock car...

If you're doing a time attack, where 3 seconds is an eternity, im sure you'll have some mods. With mods both cars will equalize when it comes to times. Then its about preference. Having never driven the Evo I can't really argue here.

What I was trying to say earlier is that track times shouldn't be such an indicator for people, because honestly, when are you ever going to push your car that hard (once/twice a year?). Interior quality, fun factor, sound (Boxer 4 :drool: )is waay more important for a DD because it's what you deal with 99% of the time.

ArjayAquino
01-08-2010, 02:01 PM
Interior quality, fun factor, sound (Boxer 4 :drool: )is waay more important for a DD because it's what you deal with 99% of the time. [/B]

That and the STi has a real Symmetrical AWD System, EVO does not.

from : http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-4824-Tampa-Sports-Car-Examiner~y2009m10d2-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STi-vs-Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution

The Mitsubishi does not offer a symmetrical all-wheel drive system even though it is typically favored by JDM enthusiasts. The Mitsubishi does not have a true center differential! Subaru features a longitudinal drive train with true center differential, while the Mitsubishi features a front wheel drive based center differential. The EVO is basically a front wheel drive vehicle with the rear wheel drive axle branched from the front wheel drive line. This is where Subaru has the advantage because they have a true center differential and an authentic symmetrical all-wheel drive.
With the STi you get to play with the DCCD because of that.

heavyD
01-08-2010, 02:11 PM

Cheap steering wheel, lame gauges, lame fake CF panel, waay cheaper look. I do agree about the STi seats though. I prefer my WRX seats 100x and the Evo Recaro's are quite heavenly.

I do realize that 3 seconds in a real race is a big deal. But who cares if it's just a track day. Thats more for fun than anything. You're not setting any records in your stock car...

If you're doing a time attack, where 3 seconds is an eternity, im sure you'll have some mods. With mods both cars will equalize when it comes to times. Then its about preference. Having never driven the Evo I can't really argue here.

What I was trying to say earlier is that track times shouldn't be such an indicator for people, because honestly, when are you ever going to push your car that hard (once/twice a year?). Interior quality, fun factor, sound (Boxer 4 :drool: )is waay more important for a DD because it's what you deal with 99% of the time.

The steering wheel on the STI is an expensive piece?:rolleyes: If you think the STI interior is quality then you have low expectations so no use arguing this any further.

What is fun about a car with body roll? I don't want to sidetrack this thread any further because anyone that thinks the STI interior is luxury cannot be reasoned with so we can agree to disagree.

ArjayAquino
01-08-2010, 02:14 PM

I don't want to sidetrack this thread any further

Agreed.

OP get an STi but we won't hold it against you if you get a WRX hehe.

heavyD
01-08-2010, 02:19 PM

That and the STi has a real Symmetrical AWD System, EVO does not.

from : http://www.examiner.com/examiner/x-4824-Tampa-Sports-Car-Examiner~y2009m10d2-Subaru-Impreza-WRX-STi-vs-Mitsubishi-Lancer-Evolution

With the STi you get to play with the DCCD because of that.
Symmetrical AWD is just a moniker Subaru uses. Has no bearing on superiority of the AWD system.

Yep you can use the DCCD to put 80% torque to the rear wheels and still deal with terminal understeer with the STI while the EVO X has more oversteer than most RWD cars thanks to S-AYC. The cars are the same in a straight line yet the EVO torches the STI around the track. That tells you all you need to know about the superiority of the AWD systems.

Mitsubishi's performance AWD system is widely regarded as one of the best on the planet;
http://blogs.automotive.com/6464495/opinion/mitsubishi-lancer-evo-s-awc-system-wins-best-new-technology-award/index.html Torque vectoring rules which is why the GTR uses it as well. Subaru doesn't have that and probably never will because it's expensive to implement.

ArjayAquino
01-08-2010, 02:28 PM

Symmetrical AWD is just a moniker Subaru uses. Has no bearing on superiority of the AWD system.

Yep you can use the DCCD to put 80% torque to the rear wheels and still deal with terminal understeer with the STI while the EVO X has more oversteer than most RWD cars thanks to S-AYC. The cars are the same in a straight line yet the EVO torches the STI around the track. That tells you all you need to know about the superiority of the AWD systems.

Mitsubishi's performance AWD system is widely regarded as one of the best on the planet;
http://blogs.automotive.com/6464495/opinion/mitsubishi-lancer-evo-s-awc-system-wins-best-new-technology-award/index.html Torque vectoring rules which is why the GTR uses it as well. Subaru doesn't have that and probably never will because it's expensive to implement.
Well in that case pardon my ignorance haha.

jonnycat
01-08-2010, 02:51 PM
Coming from a Dodge Magnum, I probably won't even notice the STi's body roll at first. lol

I love getting all the insight through people arguing / debating between competitve models, so keep it up.

I orginally went in to look at the new Legacy 2.5GT for $40,000K. So while the STi is $7k more than the WRX, (comparing base prices of each model), and only $3k difference (Limited WRX to Base Sti) I was already looking at a slightly bigger car, with the wrx's 265 motor, for the same price as the STI. It wasn't a giant leap by any stretch to consider the STi.

The Sedan only EVO killed it for me. Not enough cargo room when you have a dog and two year old kid.

The sport back ralliart, looks good, priced fair but, there are so many lancers running around here, I'm sick of looking at them.

Practicality played a huge part of what to buy. If it wasn't an issue I would have found a gently used Z06 and called it a day

taemo
01-08-2010, 03:00 PM
When I was searching for a new car, my mind was set between a wrx and an evo x

On my search I test drove a WRX265, EVO X GSR and EVO X MR.

Unfortunately I never bothered test driving an STi but the main reason why I never bothered looking into one is because I heard as DD, the STi can be a little stiff, the 5speed is a little quicker than the 6speed (although with how I drive, I wish I went with the STi as well).
But for the extra 4k, you are getting better brakes (brembo), wheels (bbs), suspension and more control.

Although as it is, I'm really happy with my 09 WRX265, changed exhaust, airboy tuned and rally armor mud flaps.

At this point I would recommend you test driving both and see what you think.

Regarding the EVO X, I loved the GSR, what a fun 5speed machine, wasn't really impressed with the MR ( no clutch = :zzz: :zzz: for me).
I was so ready to get the EVO X GSR until I saw the trunk, it will not be able to fit a bag of golf clubs.

heavyD
01-08-2010, 03:01 PM
Coming from a Dodge Magnum, I probably won't even notice the STi's body roll at first. lol

I love getting all the insight through people arguing / debating between competitve models, so keep it up.

I orginally went in to look at the new Legacy 2.5GT for $40,000K. So while the STi is $7k more than the WRX, (comparing base prices of each model), and only $3k difference (Limited WRX to Base Sti) I was already looking at a slightly bigger car, with the wrx's 265 motor, for the same price as the STI. It wasn't a giant leap by any stretch to consider the STi.

The Sedan only EVO killed it for me. Not enough cargo room when you have a dog and two year old kid.

The sport back ralliart, looks good, priced fair but, there are so many lancers running around here, I'm sick of looking at them.

Practicality played a huge part of what to buy. If it wasn't an issue I would have found a gently used Z06 and called it a day

Personally for me it would be STI all the way. My opinion is that the STI looks much better and has a better AWD sytem, transmission, brakes, wheels, and AWD suspension setup so you aren't getting slighted paying $3k extra for the STI. It comes down to what you can afford, what you expect and maybe the fender flares of the STI don't sway you on looks like they do for me. If you by the STI you will likely never regret not getting the WRX instead. However if you get the WRX you may later regret not getting the STI.

heavyD
01-08-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by taemo

Regarding the EVO X, I loved the GSR, what a fun 5speed machine, wasn't really impressed with the MR ( no clutch = :zzz: :zzz: for me).
I was so ready to get the EVO X GSR until I saw the trunk.
it will not be able to fit a bag of gulf clubs.

Yep it has to be noted the EVO trunk is very small. Unfortunately space was taken by the rear battery, washer fluid & S-AWY fluid reserviors, and S-AYC system so if utility is important to you the EVO is not a good choice.

jonnycat
01-08-2010, 03:49 PM

and maybe the fender flares of the STI don't sway you on looks like they do for me.

They do :drool: Even though I've kept it pretty much quiet, they were the one thing I couldn't stand to lose if I went with a WRX. Good bye moon roof, good bye Navi, good bye DVD in dash with 7" screen... hello sculpted fenders. :hitit:

jonnycat
01-08-2010, 03:52 PM

Personally for me it would be STI all the way. My opinion is that the STI looks much better and has a better AWD sytem, transmission, brakes, wheels, and AWD suspension setup so you aren't getting slighted paying $3k extra for the STI. It comes down to what you can afford,

Payments are only going to be $304/month :D , Don't know if I can afford not to.

bspot
01-08-2010, 04:17 PM

Both interiors suck.

If you are even considering the interior when purchasing either of these cars, you don't understand them.

Jeremiah
01-08-2010, 04:30 PM

Payments are only going to be $304/month :D , Don't know if I can afford not to.

For an STI?

How do you figure?

details :D

beyond_ban
01-08-2010, 04:47 PM
Originally posted by Jeremiah

For an STI?

How do you figure?

x2

Beyond Group STI Pick-up?

I guess STI's really are all the rage in '10.

max_boost
01-08-2010, 04:49 PM
Originally posted by bspot

Both interiors suck.

If you are even considering the interior when purchasing either of these cars, you don't understand them.

:werd: For a nice interior, I'll just jump into my GTI :drool:

Originally posted by Jeremiah

For an STI?

How do you figure?

There are no details. It's impossible.

Ntense_SpecV
01-08-2010, 04:56 PM
I thought he said he was going to be leasing it? But for 304/month - hell sign me up as well.

taemo
01-08-2010, 05:07 PM

15,000+ down payment or something?

jonnycat
01-08-2010, 05:23 PM
I owe nothing on my trade, 36mos lease, $1000 down. Other wise it'd be $600ish/ mo

Sorath
01-08-2010, 06:14 PM
buy and evo over an sti/wrx this is coming from someone who owns an sti

main reason is because the car is boring to drive.

the evo on the other hand is much more fun

A2VR6
01-08-2010, 06:47 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

I completely agree but the lack of trunk space in the Evo kinda kills it (for me atleast). If I didnt have the s2k already I would totally rock one.

jonnycat
01-08-2010, 09:10 PM
I need, seating for 5, split folding seats, decent cargo carrying capacity,
Manual tranny, awd or rwd, better than 16L/100km mainly hwy. It
Be an audi, mb, benz or vovlo. Stong preference to vehicle that is at least as
Quick as my magnum and must handle better and less than $45000. I can't come up with anything better or fun
Than an sti, but I'm all ears.

bigboom
01-08-2010, 09:32 PM
Originally posted by Sorath

i came up against the same decision between an evo and sti. as much as i liked the driveability of the evo i couldnt bring myself to buy it due to trunk space, if i had a second vehicle that i could take golfing, camping, mtn biking etc. i would have bought the evo.

but for everyday practicality i went with the sti as that fit my lifestyle better.

jonnycat
01-09-2010, 06:25 PM
Test drive went well, certainly not boring for
me, delivery monday.

max_boost
01-09-2010, 06:29 PM
^

Congrats. Did you work out a good deal?

jonnycat
01-09-2010, 06:56 PM
Eh. Hammered on trade and $3000 off msrp + tint. Payment dropped to $294/mo though. I took a corner in second in the wet and gravel, and punched it at the apex and about blew my load

max_boost
01-09-2010, 06:58 PM
Awesome. That's why I love Subaru's. Can always get great deals on great cars.

ArjayAquino
01-10-2010, 06:25 PM
congrats man.

911fever
01-11-2010, 02:55 PM

What about getting a 2007 Sti from the States for around 24g's ($31,000 CDN imported). My favorite body style.

Or an Sti limited: http://www.iwsti.com/forums/cars-sale/175585-fs-07-sti-limited-31-ugm-price-dropped.html

amen to this. I loved the previous STI's

jonnycat
01-11-2010, 08:10 PM
Man I love the power delivery in this thing. 1-2 are monsters, the si drive makes a huge difference, but I think the only time it'll se intelligent mode is on highway trips

PD77
01-11-2010, 08:48 PM
Man I love the power delivery in this thing. 1-2 are monsters, the si drive makes a huge difference, but I think the only time it'll se intelligent mode is on highway trips

I would recommend getting a Stage 1 reflash from Airboy....totally changes the power delivery and adds a few ponies as well :D

Head over to www.westernsubaruclub.com and do some reading, I have yet to hear of someone disappointed with it (I used to have an 09 STi so I know just how big of a difference it makes).

Congrats on the purchase!

ArjayAquino
01-11-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by PD77

I would recommend getting a Stage 1 reflash from Airboy....totally changes the power delivery and adds a few ponies as well :D

Head over to www.westernsubaruclub.com and do some reading, I have yet to hear of someone disappointed with it (I used to have an 09 STi so I know just how big of a difference it makes).

Congrats on the purchase!

Do you know if a Stage 1 will void warranty? I'm guessing not since you did it as well.

Aleks
01-11-2010, 09:39 PM

Do you know if a Stage 1 will void warranty? I'm guessing not since you did it as well.

Stage 1 or any reflash has the potential to void your power train warranty. It all depends on what goes wrong.

PD77
01-11-2010, 09:42 PM

That's the thing, since no parts are being installed all you need to do is remove the tune if you ever have to take the car in and as far as I know they will have to dig pretty deep to see if any changes have been made previously. Really though you should have zero problems, there are numerous cars running the Stg1 tune.

heavyD
01-11-2010, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by PD77

That's the thing, since no parts are being installed all you need to do is remove the tune if you ever have to take the car in and as far as I know they will have to dig pretty deep to see if any changes have been made previously. Really though you should have zero problems, there are numerous cars running the Stg1 tune.

You may want to ensure that you flash the exact factory tune that was on your car when you bring it in for warranty and not just the latest flash available from Subaru. Mitsubishi in the US for all warranty work over $500 will take a look at the checksum to ensure it's the last one recorded on your car or they will not do the work.

Aleks
01-11-2010, 10:16 PM
If they really wanted to they could find out. There are guys from Subaru on this site so if they really wanted to deny you warranty they would find a way.

It's unlikely stage 1 will cause any issues though. More likely if you have issues you would have had those issues even if you were stock.

PD77
01-11-2010, 10:48 PM

You may want to ensure that you flash the exact factory tune that was on your car when you bring it in for warranty and not just the latest flash available from Subaru. Mitsubishi in the US for all warranty work over $500 will take a look at the checksum to ensure it's the last one recorded on your car or they will not do the work.

Yeah it's easy enough to get a copy of the original map and put it back on if needed.

I imagine companies are having to practice better due diligence just because of the number of "stock" cars coming in with problems.

nnnnny
01-11-2010, 11:26 PM

Hey Jonny

Can you please tell me which dealership you went? Heard that you got $3000 off MSRP. I am actually looking for the same car, please let me know where you get one. I am looking for the BASE Model 2010 STI

jonnycat
01-12-2010, 01:23 AM
Subaru of lethbridge, I was dealing with Joe.

The deal broke down like this;
$41,667 msrp + $500 tint
$42,167 subtotal

They gave me a trade in value of $8,000 originally
then upped it to $9,500 and offered me $1000 discount and $500 worth of free accessories, but took it as cash off instead, bringing total trade in amount to $11,000.

Now how much of the extra $3,000 was discount or actual money for my trade, maybe all or split 50/50. I had them showing all the extras as trade in value and left the msrp where it was so I could maximize my gst discount and residual value.

Forgot to mention there are none left currently.

jonnycat
01-12-2010, 01:25 AM
Salesmanager mentioned if I put any mods on, to return to stock for each visit and all will be good.

nnnnny
01-12-2010, 01:56 AM
Do you have Joe's email address that I would like to contact him to see if he can give me the $3000 discount. If so I will order one from him. I live in Calgary and I do not mind driving all the way down the Lethbridge.

Thanks for the hook up, or I will give him a call tomorrow

Aleks
01-12-2010, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by nnnnny
Do you have Joe's email address that I would like to contact him to see if he can give me the $3000 discount. If so I will order one from him. I live in Calgary and I do not mind driving all the way down the Lethbridge.

Thanks for the hook up, or I will give him a call tomorrow

Pull a CarCostCanada report. It shows markup of $35xx. Go in and offer cost + $500. This might work better because it shows you know roughly what the invoice is. With a trade in like that its hard to say what the actual discount is as trade in value is variable.

heavyD
01-12-2010, 08:29 AM
Salesmanager mentioned if I put any mods on, to return to stock for each visit and all will be good.

That sucks having to remove parts for every visit. I wouldn't be very happy with that.

nnnnny
01-12-2010, 11:24 AM

That sucks having to remove parts for every visit. I wouldn't be very happy with that.

I did not know that for a lease vehicle that you are not allow to modify. I thought that as long as you can return the vehicle to stock when your lease up then will have no problem. damn i was want to order an exhaust

nnnnny
01-12-2010, 11:24 AM

I did not know that for a lease vehicle that you are not allow to modify. I thought that as long as you can return the vehicle to stock when your lease up then will have no problem. damn i was want to order an exhaust

jonnycat
01-12-2010, 11:30 AM
Sorry, I meant for any warranty work, not typical services.

Edit; all pms replied to.

Aleks
01-12-2010, 12:24 PM
I wouldn't risk it. It's not up to the local dealer. If you blow your engine it's the regional reps that decide the coverage. See thread below. Fairly minor mods in my opinion, warranty denied.

http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php?topic=12919.0

Sorath
01-12-2010, 12:41 PM
instead of going back to the dealer for service, i`d just take it elsewhere to get it serviced, and then you can do whatever you want until you return your lease :dunno:

heavyD
01-12-2010, 12:47 PM
I wouldn't risk it. It's not up to the local dealer. If you blow your engine it's the regional reps that decide the coverage. See thread below. Fairly minor mods in my opinion, warranty denied.

Why are the engines in these cars so fragile?

It's funny as Platinum Mitsubishi sells cat back exhausts and intakes for the EVO and other Lancers. They told me as long as there were no alterations to the ECU or boost controllers I am okay with intake and exhaust mods. How could a rep deny warranty when the dealer sells the aftermarket parts?

max_boost
01-12-2010, 12:56 PM

Wow! Makes me a bit nervous with my Cobb stage2 :nut:

Aleks
01-12-2010, 01:12 PM

It's funny as Platinum Mitsubishi sells cat back exhausts and intakes for the EVO and other Lancers. They told me as long as there were no alterations to the ECU or boost controllers I am okay with intake and exhaust mods. How could a rep deny warranty when the dealer sells the aftermarket parts?

I know Subaru dealers that will sell downpipes and say out right that if you put in on your warranty is toast. (dealer in ontario). But they still sell them because people want them.

Same with their commercials. You see a WRX and STI drifting side by side on a track. You buy one and it comes with a owners manual that says if you race it, rally it, or take it anywhere near a track and something happens your warranty is void. :dunno:

Genjuro
01-12-2010, 01:22 PM

Mitsu engines are not? Crank walk anyone? It's how people break in their engines and how stupid they drive red lining it all the time imo. Same with all engines.

Jonny, not sure if i missed it but did you decide on the standard sti or premium package? 2009 or 2010? i'm also looking to get one.

heavyD
01-12-2010, 01:37 PM
Originally posted by Genjuro

Mitsu engines are not? Crank walk anyone? It's how people break in their engines and how stupid they drive red lining it all the time imo. Same with all engines.

Still talking about crankwalk on 15 year old cars.:rolleyes: Hundreds of 2009 WRX engines failed from bearing failure and a bunch of 2007 2009 STI's have had ringland failures. I like the cars, I just don't have faith in the engines.

nnnnny
01-12-2010, 01:48 PM

I know Subaru dealers that will sell downpipes and say out right that if you put in on your warranty is toast. (dealer in ontario). But they still sell them because people want them.

Same with their commercials. You see a WRX and STI drifting side by side on a track. You buy one and it comes with a owners manual that says if you race it, rally it, or take it anywhere near a track and something happens your warranty is void. :dunno:

so a downpipe would void the warranty, what about cat back exhaust. I did not know there are so many restriction on the engine and the warrenty

Sorath
01-12-2010, 01:51 PM
any modifications can be used to deny warranty

jonnycat
01-12-2010, 03:28 PM
Originally posted by Genjuro

Jonny, not sure if i missed it but did you decide on the standard sti or premium package? 2009 or 2010? i'm also looking to get one.

I went with the Base 2010. Headed back to dealer to get rear washer nozzle looked at. The pump is pumping and nothing's coming out.

A2VR6
01-12-2010, 03:49 PM

Still talking about crankwalk on 15 year old cars.:rolleyes: Hundreds of 2009 WRX engines failed from bearing failure and a bunch of 2007 2009 STI's have had ringland failures. I like the cars, I just don't have faith in the engines.

:werd: Friend has a 2008 WRX that suffered from a bearing failure with just under 14,000 km's on the odo. He broke it in as per subaru's recommendations and doesn't drive the car very hard. He had a bit of a struggle with the regional reps on replacing the engine under warranty as they blamed him for the engine failure, but after a couple weeks of going back and forth, Subaru replaced the engine.

nnnnny
01-13-2010, 11:41 PM

I went with the Base 2010. Headed back to dealer to get rear washer nozzle looked at. The pump is pumping and nothing's coming out.

went to calgary subaru today and they have a blue one in stock , got $3000 off MSRP and took delivery the same day . very happy with the car so far

ArjayAquino
01-14-2010, 10:04 AM

went to calgary subaru today and they have a blue one in stock , got $3000 off MSRP and took delivery the same day . very happy with the car so far

gotta love fast work.

BigDL
01-14-2010, 10:11 AM
Nice welcome to the club =). I am supirsed how many WSC members I see in this thread hehe.

jonnycat
01-14-2010, 04:04 PM

Nice choice! :thumbsup: What break in advice were you given?

I scared the poop out of myself with mine last night. I turned the T/C system completely off by holding the button for a few secs, put it in Sport Sharp and set the DCCD to Auto (-) and nutted it around a corner, the rear end broke loose real easy and quick, I was pretty much perpendicular to the road, but got it back real quick. I forgot that the wheelbase is about half of the Magnums and it rotates a hell of a lot faster.

4doorj
01-14-2010, 07:54 PM

Blue hatch sti's are my fav:drool: :drool:

jetfire
01-14-2010, 08:53 PM

There's an easy shopping experience. I wonder what's the max off MSRP for the regular WRX Limited for comparison.

max_boost
01-14-2010, 08:59 PM
Probably around $3K off.

That should bring it to cost +$500 I believe or very close.

nnnnny
01-14-2010, 09:52 PM
Let's have a subaru STI meet up .... Anyone in ?

ArjayAquino
01-14-2010, 10:52 PM
Let's have a subaru STI meet up .... Anyone in ?

Join Western Subaru Club(WSC) LOT'S of Suby owners from Calgary and Edmonton are on there. There is a meet up every Wednesday. WSC (http://www.westernsubaruclub.com/smf/index.php)

nnnnny
01-18-2010, 01:05 AM
fifth day having the sti i cannot express myself enough to tell you how much I love this car , the power is amazing .

jonnycat , what color did you get ? I painted the front grill and side vent just today , ordered springs , struct , exhaust , intake and more to come

nnnnny
01-25-2010, 05:04 PM
If anyone looking for a new STI , you can message me , I can hook you up with a very good deal . just PM me ...

Shane1
01-25-2010, 05:20 PM
great chioce btw...

Enjoy the rush!

4doorj
01-25-2010, 05:21 PM
fifth day having the sti i cannot express myself enough to tell you how much I love this car , the power is amazing .

jonnycat , what color did you get ? I painted the front grill and side vent just today , ordered springs , struct , exhaust , intake and more to come
Any pictures yet?

nnnnny
01-25-2010, 05:23 PM
http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/6227/dsc1328.jpg

Snowing

Aleks
01-25-2010, 05:51 PM
What type of drop?

Sorath
01-25-2010, 06:06 PM
too bad i dont like the new hatches at all, the updated interior is much nicer than mine. im still debating whether to get an evo 10 mr or a 335i

nnnnny
01-25-2010, 06:15 PM
What type of drop?

Tanabe DF210 , 1.1" drop