PDA

View Full Version : You think eating at Panda Garden is bad...

buh_buh
11-25-2003, 04:53 AM
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=573&ncid=757&e=4&u=/nm/20031124/od_nm/dog_dc

girlRACER
11-25-2003, 05:05 AM
While that is disgusting :barf: that only reaffirms the false assumption that non-Chinese people have of Chinese that they are carnivores and eat dogs and cats and what not at home.

I swear I get asked that question at least once a month. :banghead:

googe
11-25-2003, 09:20 AM
its weird though, this happens with chinese places SO much

SoSlowDx
11-25-2003, 10:11 AM
That's Vietnam for ya...:(

mwmhong
11-25-2003, 12:13 PM
The restaurateur, shocked to find the boy, fed him and released him.

Did he feed him dog meat?

nismodrifter
11-25-2003, 12:17 PM
Originally posted by mwmhong

Did he feed him dog meat?

ahahahahah:rofl:

hjr
11-25-2003, 01:37 PM
edit: Read my 2nd post. it about sums up this whole argument... penis

rc2002
11-25-2003, 01:52 PM
WTF? They kidnapped a mute teenager off the street? Sounds like they need a LOT of help...

Dj_Stylz
11-25-2003, 08:45 PM
Ewwww :barf: :barf:

link785
11-25-2003, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER
While that is disgusting :barf: that only reaffirms the false assumption that non-Chinese people have of Chinese that they are carnivores and eat dogs and cats and what not at home.

In many asian countries, they do eat dogs and the like at home. Tradition from what I can gather. So actually, the assumption is not false at all, it's fact.

GTS Jeff
11-25-2003, 09:52 PM
Originally posted by link785

In many asian countries, they do eat dogs and the like at home. Tradition from what I can gather. So actually, the assumption is not false at all, it's fact. u do realize that u, whiter than paper, just told jackie, an asian, that u know more about her culture than she does.

szw
11-25-2003, 09:57 PM

In many asian countries, they do eat dogs and the like at home. Tradition from what I can gather. So actually, the assumption is not false at all, it's fact.

Shit and I had it wrong all these years!

Good thing I got 2 dogs at home! mmmmm yay for new cultural traditions! :eek: :eek:

link785
11-25-2003, 10:00 PM
Originally posted by GTS Jeff
u do realize that u, whiter than paper, just told jackie, an asian, that u know more about her culture than she does.

Go read that Yahoo news article, and go read many others. It's not uncommon knowledge that asians, the Chinese in particular, eat very different things than we do. One of them is dog. No big deal really, just pointing out that it's not fiction like she says it is.

And what? I need to be asian now to be able to discuss their culture? What kind of racist nonsense is that?

Oh, and not that it matters in the slightest, but one of my parents is asian, so don't automatically assume I'm whiter than paper :thumbsdow

Here's part of that Yahoo article:

"Dog meat is a delicacy in parts of China and in some other Asian countries such as Korea, Cambodia, Indonesia and Laos. In Vietnam, eating specifically farmed breeds is believed to bring health benefits and is seen as auspicious."

BMWilli
11-25-2003, 10:15 PM
damn stereotypes

That.Guy.S30
11-25-2003, 10:18 PM
Originally posted by SoSlowDx

damn straight.. its just like eating lil cows with a tail i guess.. hahahaahahah i have actaully seen a "dog market" pretty interesting if you ask me

szw
11-25-2003, 10:35 PM
what ever happend to panda garden? I haven't heard anythign on the news except they were found to be coyote or something! They find the owner? No more updates on news.

GTS Jeff
11-25-2003, 11:00 PM

Go read that Yahoo news article, and go read many others. It's not uncommon knowledge that asians, the Chinese in particular, eat very different things than we do. One of them is dog. No big deal really, just pointing out that it's not fiction like she says it is.

And what? I need to be asian now to be able to discuss their culture? What kind of racist nonsense is that?

Oh, and not that it matters in the slightest, but one of my parents is asian, so don't automatically assume I'm whiter than paper :thumbsdow

Here's part of that Yahoo article:

"Dog meat is a delicacy in parts of China and in some other Asian countries such as Korea, Cambodia, Indonesia and Laos. In Vietnam, eating specifically farmed breeds is believed to bring health benefits and is seen as auspicious." well dude, no matter how much yahoo news uve read, u are still not chinese, and it is therefore dumb to disagree with someone chinese about chinese culture. im not saying u cant discuss chinese culture if u arent chinese, im saying that u shouldnt tell chinese people about their own culture because its a fucking insult.

somehow, i think that my being chinese for 20 years, having been raised in a chinese family, educated by my parents (who are incidentally restaurant owners) on chinese values and traditions makes me a lot more qualified than a random guy that reads yahoonews and has asian mother (likely not chinese anyway).

now that weve established that im more knowledgeable than u on the subject of chinese culture, more specifically their eating habits, ill say that NO it is not common practice for chinese to eat dog meat.

buhbuh, girlracer, soslowdx, mwmhong, richardchan2002, thithi are all asians too. thithi, szw, and myself all have parents that own restaurants. what about u? what? u read yahoo articles?

link785
11-25-2003, 11:11 PM
well dude, no matter how much yahoo news uve read, u are still not chinese, and it is therefore dumb to disagree with someone chinese about chinese culture. im not saying u cant discuss chinese culture if u arent chinese, im saying that u shouldnt tell chinese people about their own culture because its a fucking insult.

buhbuh, girlracer, soslowdx, mwmhong, richardchan2002, thithi are all asians too. thithi, szw, and myself all have parents that own restaurants. what about u? what? u read yahoo articles?

So I can't comment to chinese people on their own culture eh? Right :rolleyes: Go ahead Jeff, pull out the race card :rolleyes:

Do they own restaurants here in Canada? Are we legally allowed to serve dog here in Canada? My point made.

Congratulations if you don't agree with the news articles, but don't take it up with me, I'm not the one you should be arguing with :)

girlRACER
11-26-2003, 12:23 AM
It is a false assumption though. I go to Hong Kong 3x a year. I go to the Mainland 2x a year and the very very large majority of family, friends, and acquantances will not each those types of meat such as dogs and cats. It is only about 1 person in every 100 person I meet will say that they don't mind it...but I haven't even come across any people that say that they like it lots and eat it on a regular basis.

I eat in China all the time and it is rare that they serve those dishes. When I first went to China in 1996 they had all sorts of rare delicacies in live cages in front of restaurants. China has changed much since then. Its not like that anymore. So I think it is time for you to update your information! Don't assume that just because it is on Yahoo that it is correct. As an academic I could go on and on about the anthropological bias and ethnocentrism in those articles. When you actually visit China and see everyone there eating cats and dogs then maybe I'll retract my statement but as someone that goes there all the time and has a house there I don't think so.

girlRACER
11-26-2003, 12:34 AM
China isn't what you think it to be. And Jeff makes a very valid statement. Chinese people are the ones who have the first hand experience in their own culture. They understand it the best and when people like you step in with your "Yahoo news articles" and try to dictate to us that you are right about something in our culture which we know very much about then you're wrong.

You could never get away with making that statement in an academic setting and you can't now.

GTS Jeff
11-26-2003, 12:36 AM

So I can't comment to chinese people on their own culture eh? Right :rolleyes: Go ahead Jeff, pull out the race card :rolleyes:

Do they own restaurants here in Canada? Are we legally allowed to serve dog here in Canada? My point made.

Congratulations if you don't agree with the news articles, but don't take it up with me, I'm not the one you should be arguing with :) first off, im not pulling the race card. second, u should learn to read.

i said that u are simply not qualified to make the comments that u make. do u go up to colin mcrae and tell him how to rally? do u tell suchiya how to drift? do do u fucking tell celine dion how to sing? do u tell your math professor how to do calculus?

NO???

well then dont fucking tell chinese people that they love eating dogs after they tell you that youre utterly wrong! abom, u have no point, admit it. all your comments are just u trying to act like an expert on a subject u really know nothing about.

girlRACER
11-26-2003, 12:43 AM

well then dont fucking tell chinese people that they love eating dogs after they tell you that youre utterly wrong! abom, u have no point, admit it. all your comments are just u trying to act like an expert on a subject u really know nothing about.

:werd: A lot of people on this forum stay a lot of stupid things and I never say anything...but when a person comes on here and believes that he has the grounds by which to argue that his ethnocentric views about one culture are right, that gets to me. :whipped: :guns:

max_boost
11-26-2003, 12:53 AM

In many asian countries, they do eat dogs and the like at home. Tradition from what I can gather. So actually, the assumption is not false at all, it's fact. WTF are you talking about? Tradition? It's a fact that we eat dogs?

RiCE-DaDDy
11-26-2003, 01:15 AM
u guys make it as if eating dog was a bad thing...:D

I agree ABOM made a mistake. But whats the real arguement here?? do we eat dogs or no? well i dont and im sure most asians here in N.A. won't. But in China, it's still an accepted dish. Oh ya, it tastes like beef ;)

thich
11-26-2003, 01:52 AM
Originally posted by SoSlowDx

dood, why is it that nammers get such a rap :banghead: :banghead:

silliness. the things ppl do in this world for money.

i haven't had dog meat but from what my uncles tell me, it's really a type of delicacy for the "party crowd" - not most ppl will eat it i guess. i'll try it when i'm in Vietnam :D

But this definitely isn't something that should be attributed to EVERY asian

accordboi_02
11-26-2003, 10:42 AM

i said that u are simply not qualified to make the comments that u make. do u go up to colin mcrae and tell him how to rally? do u tell suchiya how to drift? do do u fucking tell celine dion how to sing? do u tell your math professor how to do calculus?

You mean because I've been eating Chinese/Viet/Korean food for the past 4 years, and my parents are white that it doesn't make me an expert in Chinese culture Jeff?? But I AM you know... YAHOO wouldn't lie to me, would they? I though I saw a dog in your frigde last time i was up there jeff!!
/end sarcasm
:rolleyes:

ANd girlracer: good point about the enthnocentrism... almost forgot all about that shit from school! man, it sucks being out of school... but anyways, just wanted to give you props for a great point!

:thumbsup:

link785
11-26-2003, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by RiCE-DaDDy
But whats the real arguement here?? do we eat dogs or no? well i dont and im sure most asians here in N.A. won't. But in China, it's still an accepted dish. Oh ya, it tastes like beef ;)

As I said before, everyone should read the article a little closer:

Dog meat is a delicacy in parts of China and in some other Asian countries such as Korea, Cambodia, Indonesia and Laos. In Vietnam, eating specifically farmed breeds is believed to bring health benefits and is seen as auspicious.

Have any of you wonder WHY a lot of Chinese places get shut down for serving dog to people? What, you think they got this idea out of the blue? As for everyone telling me that my cultural views on other cultures are incorrect, might I suggest you again read the thread, as I'm commenting on my own damn culture here.

Fact of the matter, a LOT of asians over the ocean eat dog. Most of you probably don't do it here, but they sure as hell do over there. Don't believe me, go over and look for yourself.

Altezza
11-26-2003, 02:23 PM
It is quite true...a lot of people in China eat dog :whocares: Sure, maybe 13 million people over there eat dog...that's still only 1% of the population :rolleyes:. But hell, link785 makes it sound as if every kid is lugging snoopy and lassie in their lunchbox to school :rolleyes:

thich
11-26-2003, 02:29 PM
i've heard stories (somewhat funny at times) about how the dognappers swoop out of no where in their crazy scooters and like lasso the dog by the neck and drag it for a few blocks until it's unconscious and then they bring it to the butcher.... :eek:

GTS Jeff
11-26-2003, 02:33 PM

Dog meat is a delicacy in parts of China and in some other Asian countries such as Korea, Cambodia, Indonesia and Laos. In Vietnam, eating specifically farmed breeds is believed to bring health benefits and is seen as auspicious.

Have any of you wonder WHY a lot of Chinese places get shut down for serving dog to people? What, you think they got this idea out of the blue? As for everyone telling me that my cultural views on other cultures are incorrect, might I suggest you again read the thread, as I'm commenting on my own damn culture here.

Fact of the matter, a LOT of asians over the ocean eat dog. Most of you probably don't do it here, but they sure as hell do over there. Don't believe me, go over and look for yourself. ive been "over there" several times, and guess what? ure still wrong, ure still pissing off all the chinese people here, and ure still a mikko-know-it-all-wannabe as some have commented.

gkAeris
11-26-2003, 02:38 PM

:werd: i have to agree with link785 on this one, some ppl in china would eat dog meat it is a delicacy, not everyone WOULD eat it, went back couple years ago, and my friends are eatting FRIED COCKROACHES that was a delicacy there :barf: and u don't have to be asian to know asian culture as long as u study it and what to know it, look at my china history class more than half the ppl there are white, so what :dunno:

...please don't bash me on my english skills i'm a FOB

thich
11-26-2003, 03:02 PM
cockroaches..... gross. i will never touch bugs... :thumbsdow

there are other delicacies that Asians get dinged on tho; dog (unless it's infected with sumthing) is hardly harmful to the human or the ecosystem; but things like Shark-fin soup (although i have to admit it's the best soup i've had thus far) are harmful to the ecosystem since shark fins are just chopped and the bodies are thrown back into the ocean..
there's also the whole thing about certain Asian seafood dishes where endangered fish are used too....

when it comes down to it.. if you ate dog meat and didn't know it was dog meat could you really tell the difference? :D

and u don't have to be asian to know asian culture as long as u study it and what to know it, look at my china history class more than half the ppl there are white, so what

which class? HTST209/315/317?; EAST317/319? - most ppl who take these courses i have to say really just take them for the "easy marks"...

I have to agree with you partly on that; BUT it's one thing to 'know' about the culture but it's another to experience AND think like the culture.

i know a lot of white guys who have hung out with Asians for a good chunk of their lives but in the end the thought patterns are still different and the values are still different.

dude... i don't even know what i'm debating anymore :rofl: :rofl:

B17a
11-26-2003, 03:07 PM
Who cares about eating dog? So we in the west consider them pets, maybe not everyone does, althought I don't think it's quite "a LOT" as Link puts it. Have you guys been to the Grizzly House in Banff? Hell, you can get Ostrich, Alligator, Rabbit etc. all on the same dish, I don't hear anyone complaining about that. It's one thing to eat dog knowingly, it's another to be serving it to unknowing fools.

girlRACER
11-26-2003, 03:16 PM

Don't you get it?? We don't care about the article because we don't need Yahoo to tell us how things are in our culture when we have experienced it first hand. And if you are part Chinese then you shouldn't either.

Originally posted by gkAeris

:werd: i have to agree with link785 on this one, some ppl in china would eat dog meat it is a delicacy, not everyone WOULD eat it, went back couple years ago, and my friends are eatting FRIED COCKROACHES that was a delicacy there :barf: and u don't have to be asian to know asian culture as long as u study it and what to know it, look at my china history class more than half the ppl there are white, so what :dunno:

So there are a select few who eat dog meat and other "delicacies"...is that enough to speak for the majority and thus all Chinese people?

Of course you don't have to be Asian to study Asian culture. My most brilliant professor in Buddhist Studies isn't Asian. But one thing I learned is that when you are studying another persons culture you must do so with respect and sensitivity...and for sure one should not force ones views about them on them.

Furthermore, when people say "You eat dogs and cats at home" there is an ethnocentric attitude behind those words. It isn't simply taken for face value but is accompanied with a view that "Oh you Chinese people are sick? How could you?" (And Yes, people have said that to me) and that we are somehow barbaric.

That's why one must be sensitive about making comments about one culture. You guys must look into the deeper implications of such comments....rather than look at how many non-asian people are your history class.

I pity those who defend Link because you are also accepting the ethnocentric attitudes that come with those comments.

:rolleyes:

thich
11-26-2003, 03:23 PM
Furthermore, when people say "You eat dogs and cats at home" there is an ethnocentric attitude behind those words. It isn't simply taken for face value but is accompanied with a view that "Oh you Chinese people are sick? How could you?" (And Yes, people have said that to me) and that we are somehow barbaric.

:werd:

hjr
11-26-2003, 03:27 PM
PENIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
shock value over with...
Now that that is said, we can let this die... Some people in china eat certain animals that is not common here. :whocares: What difference does it make? none. none at all.

Ok, here is a little story:
Decades ago when a crazy mutha fucker named Mao was raping little girls across the country and generally pissing on everyones lives, meat was not readily available. So being poor assed folks living under a dictator they ate what they could. Dog included. Its good meat im sure, just not culturally happinin' here. But now that the country is doing ok and western ideas like having dogs as pets instead, have pentitrated, its really not a big deal. it doesnt happen very often any more...

link785
11-26-2003, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by girlRACER
So there are a select few who eat dog meat and other "delicacies"...is that enough to speak for the majority and thus all Chinese people?

That's why one must be sensitive about making comments about one culture. You guys must look into the deeper implications of such comments....rather than look at how many non-asian people are your history class.

I pity those who defend Link because you are also accepting the ethnocentric attitudes that come with those comments.

Excuse me? I didn't say ALL Chinese people eat dog. I also didn't say it was sick, twisted, or anything of the sort. A dog is an animal, there is technically nothing wrong with eatting one, aside from the fact that over here we view dogs as house pets.

Again, I have not said ANYTHING negative about asian people who eat dog, I'm simply stating that it happens. I personally don't see the huge fuss about it.

What part of my comments are "ethnocentric"? Are you assuming I'm a racist or biggot because I said asian people DO eat dogs? You need to be a little less sensitive and a little less defensive. I never have, and never will, form a judgement on asian people because they eat a particular type of food that we north americans do not eat.

As I said, take it easy, no need to get all worked up :rolleyes:

max_boost
11-26-2003, 03:42 PM

TRadition? Are you chracterizing the countries as a whole?

Fact of the matter, a LOT of asians over the ocean eat dog. Most of you probably don't do it here, but they sure as hell do over there. Don't believe me, go over and look for yourself.

What the fuck is A LOT? How many is that? More than 50%? More than 75%?

Why do you have to come across as such a fucking ass when you make your comments?

Why can't you just say that there are some asians who choose to eat dog meat and leave it as that. Why do you have to start talking about tradition and making assumptions that A LOT of asians eat dog meat. Do you know that for a fact? Or are you just spending all your time reading Yahoo articles thinking they are 100% accurate.

max_boost
11-26-2003, 03:47 PM
The truth is, majority of Chinese are so fucking poor we don't eat shit all. My parents grew up eating every other day, you don't know shit about the culture and you seriously fucking piss me off with your statements.

B17a
11-26-2003, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by max_boost
[B]My parents grew up eating every other dayB]

That's why my Chinese parents are so small! :D

kenny
11-27-2003, 03:34 AM
Some chinese people eat dog, and some chinese people don't eat dog. First off, I don't see what the big deal is. The people that *DO* eat dog over in China are not eating domesticated dogs. They breed dogs that are just for their meat. They do not eat pet dogs no matter what you read on any website.

Its just like eating beef. What if you raised a calf from the day it was born till it was fully grown and you treated as your best buddy as you grew up together. It would probably be pretty sick if you ate it. Same meat, different grill.

North Americans view eating dogs as some crazy fucked up psycho shit, but its not it is no different than eating a cow, a pig, a buffalo, a duck, a chicken, etc you get my point.

This thread wont go anywhere, and its causing too much tension so its time for it to be:

:closed: