PDA

View Full Version : Mgis 317

cashflow
01-01-2010, 01:27 PM
Hey guys,
I was just wondering if anybody took this course recently. There is some prof Cameron Welsh and Stephanie Crichton.

Who would be better??

Thanks for the help!!! :thumbsup:

Boat
01-01-2010, 02:36 PM
I took Cam for most of my MGIS courses, his marking is pretty easy. He can be boring at times. He is really helpful for assignments. I would recommend him. I have not had Stephanie.

Pm me if you have some other questions.

urbannomad
01-01-2010, 05:20 PM
ok, let me put it to you this way.

Cam marks everything, with the help of TA's.

Do you really want to learn the material? or do you want this to be a slack course?

I'm not knocking stephanie, but when i had her - she was a bit clueless to the material, or she was pretty pretty nervous being up there teaching.
She's easy on the eyes though.

Cam actually teaches the material and Stephanie, well she might have gotten better at it.

cashflow
01-01-2010, 11:10 PM
Hey guys, Thanks a ton for replying. Somebody just told me the course is a TONS AND TONS of work. It's not hard but TONS of work!!! Is that right??

I would probably try taking it with Cameron then.

THANKSSSSS VERY MUCH!!

sneek
01-01-2010, 11:39 PM
Took it last semester. It was a gross amount of work. None of it was hard, just a lot of assignments and random things to do. The midterm is mostly based off the powerpoint slides and the final is base off the book. The Excel test was rather difficult but they ended up curving it.

One of the most boring classes I've taken to date.

I had Chen.

Ebon
01-02-2010, 12:15 AM
Just finished this class. Was pretty easy and the workload wasn't time consuming but there is a lot of it. You'll prob. spend like 30min-1h a week doing assignments/quizzes (excluding project).

Had it with Chen, but there are a lot of little things to keep track of. The project workload was cut a lot this semester too.

2 cases
5 mini online quizzes (just use your book)
excel assignment (a little harder but was curved)
access assignment (I just used 2 computers)
Project (most work but get a good group and you'll be ok)
1 midterm
1 final

The exams were insanely easy, I had a much more important exam the night before the mid term and the final. 3 hours of studying for each and still scored 97 and 93.

Personal opinion as the class was boring as hell.

jmintz
01-02-2010, 02:55 PM
I took it with Jianqing Chen. He's a nice guy and the class is pretty easy if you're good with IT stuff in general. They curved the final for some reason so i entered up getting 49/50 instead of 46/50 bumping me up to an A-... Awesome :D

cashflow
01-02-2010, 11:36 PM
THANKS VERY MUCH GUYS!!!!!!!!!! That was very helpful!!! :thumbsup:

Boat
01-03-2010, 12:29 AM
Damn, looks like the course has changed a lot since i took it ~2 years ago.

borN
01-03-2010, 12:42 AM
It really has changed. It's now basically...BSEN 291-2 with a touch of CompSci.

PepsiCola
01-09-2010, 12:21 AM
Is it me or are these fillers courses like mgis 317 or mktg 317 hrod 317 etc etc useless. I really hate coming out of a course learning jack shit but these type of courses have done it for me even though i got pretty good marks in them.
Half the time I dont even read the book and just go by what I already know and make bullshit up yet get decent marks. Hope i didnt offend anyone but thats just me :dunno: