PDA

View Full Version : where to get ideas for interior paint colors?

nonlinear
01-01-2010, 04:15 PM
our condo has some pretty 'sterile' white walls that are in desperate need of a nice paint scheme. we've done a couple of accent walls (one dark grey, the other harvest yellow), but we want to paint the rest of the walls too. we're not the best at picking colors, etc., but know what we like when we see it. I am curious if anyone can recommend good magazines, websites, etc. that have photos of various nice, modern interiors with good paint color schemes. or, if anyone has pics of their own place they want to post up.

EDIT: something like Wallpaper magazine, but with more interiors.

DeeK
01-01-2010, 04:17 PM
Talk to the designers at Benjamin Moore, they usually know what works well.

dj_rice
01-01-2010, 04:18 PM
First off since its a condo, are you allowed to change the interior colors?Even though I own my condo, I'm not allowed to paint the walls or do any renovations inside

nonlinear
01-01-2010, 04:22 PM
DeeK, thanks but we would like to see some pics first to kind of get some idea of what colors we would want.

dj_rice, yea, we're allowed to paint, do any renovations, etc. we could gut the fucking place if we wanted to hahah.

rookie101
01-01-2010, 06:38 PM
I'm horrible a looking at colors on an chart and deciding what would look good, so I spent a day driving around to show homes looking for ideas. Much easier when you can see it on the wall in a staged house. When the show home salesmen jump on you, just tell them right off the start you're just looking to get decorating ideas. Most of them become really friendly as long as they're not busy. A few even took the time to look up paint codes for me.

masoncgy
01-01-2010, 07:54 PM
Any major home renovation centres & specialty paint shops will have numerous handouts with all sorts of different schemes & colors.

I also recommend travelling to various show homes to get a taste for what's current out there.

TomcoPDR
01-01-2010, 07:59 PM
I know at Home Depot, they sell Behr paint and they got pamplets of the paint colors avaliable, and they have pretty pictures of rooms and color schemes matching things.

dj_rice: sounds like a shitty condo you're living at, shelves falling away, cookie cutter paint color... is ludegirl the only reason keeping you there? :dunno:

nonlinear
01-01-2010, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by rookie101
I'm horrible a looking at colors on an chart and deciding what would look good, so I spent a day driving around to show homes looking for ideas. Much easier when you can see it on the wall in a staged house. When the show home salesmen jump on you, just tell them right off the start you're just looking to get decorating ideas. Most of them become really friendly as long as they're not busy. A few even took the time to look up paint codes for me.

this is exactly what i mean - except i'm looking for photos instead of having to go to show homes.

Originally posted by masoncgy
Any major home renovation centres & specialty paint shops will have numerous handouts with all sorts of different schemes & colors.

I also recommend travelling to various show homes to get a taste for what's current out there.

dude, of course i realize this. what i am looking for is photos of finished interiors, so I can use the color combinations as inspiration.

BlackArcher101
01-01-2010, 08:36 PM
On top of the color cards that home depot and others have, they also have magazines and brochures with example photos of rooms with schemes.

Melinda
01-01-2010, 09:10 PM
Try websites like ratemyspace.com and what not. They have real people's houses for ideas. Just click to see the highest rated spaces in each category (you can pick office, bedroom, livingroom, etc). Tons of photos there

CUG
01-01-2010, 09:16 PM
Professor Klump, go get a colour fan from a place called "Paint Direct". Those guys never miss a match and they look after you 100% talk to one of the old boys at the counter there... Merril is one of their names. PM me and I might be able to get you a deal there.

chowdog
01-01-2010, 09:23 PM
x2 on visiting show homes in the newer communities.

Antonito
01-01-2010, 10:49 PM
I realise you're already looking for real examples anyways, but if by chance you're looking through paint chips and see something you like, still try to find an example of it on a full size wall (via the internet or something). Soooo many people see a color that looks amazing on a 2x2 card, and looks like a circus tent on a wall.

Billy_Billions
01-01-2010, 11:23 PM
check out http://kuler.adobe.com/ it's an adobe color site and users upload some great color combinations. I steal color ideas from there all the time.

whiskas
01-02-2010, 12:46 AM
Take photos of your place.

Go here

https://www.sherwin-williams.com/visualizer/

Have fun.

safe123
01-02-2010, 01:51 AM
Original Post Removed. (Please read the Forum Rules and Terms of Use (http://forums.beyond.ca/articles.php?action=data&item=1) before posting again, or risk getting banned).

masoncgy
01-02-2010, 10:41 AM
Some of the local home builders here in Calgary have interior shots of their show homes displayed on their websites... take a peak there too... saves some driving.

quazimoto
01-02-2010, 04:06 PM
If you go to RONA they will cell you CIL paint by the pint so that you can paint small portions of a wall in order to find the color that works best for you. It's exactly what we did and we used 6 different sampling colors to find the right one that we liked the most. I often find the tiny swatches are a really inaccurate. One light brown we picked out is more of a grey when the the wall is painted and dried lol.