PDA

View Full Version : NYE Houseparty = where can I find someone to replace broken windows

Super_Geo
01-01-2010, 07:45 PM
A buddy of mine managed to put his head through 2 panes of glass at a house party last night... needless to say the homeowners are less than impressed. The window is approximately 1' x 1'.... not very big. But there are two panes, it's not a sealed unit (the house is older).

What company would you guys recommend to go out there fix it without having to spend a fortune on it? I called Speedy Glass and they said it would be $275 just to send an emergency repair guy to board the window up, and that there likely wouldn't be anyone available to fix the thing until Monday.

Also, does anyone on Beyond do glasswork?

Thanks.

Bizzareo
01-01-2010, 08:08 PM
try to find a wholesaler or smaller company, there should be a bunch in the industrial area. Have him go talk to the owner and board up the window for them, then get the glass cut yourself. It should be cheaper that way.

See how much companies will charge for just the install versus the cost of the glass.

Cheaper to get it from the states..

2ndgenlude
01-01-2010, 08:18 PM
doubt the homeowner wants to wait around for glass from the states. if it was my house i would want it fixed asap. best bet is just to call around and see who's cheapest.

FraserB
01-01-2010, 08:47 PM
TDFTW does glass.:bigpimp:

Kobe
01-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Originally posted by FraserB
TDFTW does glass.:bigpimp:

I'm pretty sure he will do everything to make a buck...

psycoticclown
01-01-2010, 11:39 PM
^^ZING!

turbotrip
01-02-2010, 12:46 AM
call mr. windshield and talk to enzo; probably one of the cheapest quotes you'll get

G-ZUS
01-02-2010, 01:00 AM
trys moores im not sure if they do houseglass too

Kloubek
01-02-2010, 01:20 AM
Originally posted by Kobe

I'm pretty sure he will do everything to make a buck...

I think he has his hands full selling damaged TVs in the marketplace...

DeeK
01-02-2010, 01:30 AM
Try one of the homebuilder companies. They would probably have cheaper products and rates than windshield companies.

Gienow
All weather windows
Lux windows

88jbody
01-02-2010, 04:03 PM
kings glas can do pained glass get exact measurements of the size of the glass needed and hoe thick. flat glass is very reasonably priced if you can install it your self or know some one who can

TDFTW
01-02-2010, 04:05 PM
Originally posted by Kobe

I'm pretty sure he will do everything to make a buck... your mom swallows

TDFTW
01-02-2010, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by 88jbody
kings glas can do pained glass get exact measurements of the size of the glass needed and hoe thick. flat glass is very reasonably priced if you can install it your self or know some one who can Word. Talk to Kelly he is a nice guy will get you hooked up cheap. Let him know Dave sent ya

95teetee
01-03-2010, 09:36 AM
if it's not sealed unit, it's easier to fix yourself (meaning that it's easier than trying to build your own sealed unit:D )
Like 88jbody said, you can do it yourself. Here's how:

-clean out the old putty to get the exact measurement (go a little small- you ain't gonna force glass that's too big into the opening lol).
Get glass (any glass shop can cut float glass like that and if it's about a foot square it'll be pretty cheap. Sounds like King's is the recommended place:) ). Try to get a few glazing points from them too...
Any hardware store should have glazing putty (I think- I haven't used it for years)-get some. I think you can also get it in strip-form.
Then put the glass in with the glazing points (if you can't get them it's not the end of the world) and putty it.
Doing a job like this yourself is a lot cheaper than having a glazier do it.

Pollywog
01-03-2010, 04:40 PM
1'x1'? Is it a prison? lol

http://media.timeoutnewyork.com/resizeImage/htdocs/export_images/695/695.art.x480.Gober.jpg

If I can try to help at all, I went to Crystal Glass when a golf ball blew through my window - very helpful and prices were competitive.

big A
01-03-2010, 05:46 PM
If all you need is a couple of pieces about 1' squared post up the size and I can get it for you in 3,4, or 5 mill. If your in the south for pick up.