PDA

View Full Version : Anybody got WIND Mobile yet?

Pages : [1] 2

gd3_kid
01-02-2010, 01:19 PM
Hey did a search and for some reason the thread with WIND was closed?

Has anybody in Calgary tried WIND yet? I cannot wait for them to set up shop in Edmonton...I can't believe I can pay $75 a month for unlimited EVERYTHING and get a bold 9700 for $450!! Off contract too! Roger's charges $750 for an unsubsidized 9700!
haha, I pay $80 right now and thats with a Roger's EPP plan and don't get anywhere near as good a plan as I could with WIND (plus the dreaded 3 year prison term with Roger's as your cellmate)

So how is the coverage with WIND in Calgary? Any problems so far? Any positives?

HuMz
01-02-2010, 01:29 PM
Im looking into this as well, I just wish they had a better phone selection...that should increase in time though.

eglove
01-02-2010, 01:30 PM
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/288410/windmobile-ca-launched/

big thread about it. vagabond412 and a couple others have it

RogersMary
01-04-2010, 08:54 PM
Hi All - This is Mary with Rogers. Came across this thread and wanted to jump in to the conversation. First of all, let me just say that we think competition is great for Canadian consumers. That said, let me clarify a few points so that you can make an informed decision.

Keep in mind that while Wind advertises unlimited plans, it's not actually unlimited because of usage charges outside their footprint. This also applies to calls outside your Wind Zone that can incur additional surprises on your bill. Before you select a plan, have a look at what you really need because customers often overpay for "unlimited" when really they need much less than that.

With features like MY5, unlimited network calling, a single nationwide data zone, etc. on Rogers there are more options available that are more cost effective in the long run. Wind still can't buy you cost certainty.

Also, a BB9700 costs $450 with Wind on day one. With Rogers, the same phone costs $199.99 on a three-year term and you're eligible for a new subsidized upgrade in 24 months. In the long run, you'll have a better selection of new handsets at great prices.

Just a few things to think about. Hope this helps!

ercchry
01-04-2010, 09:08 PM
Originally posted by RogersMary

...and you're eligible for a new subsidized upgrade in 24 months. In the long run, you'll have a better selection of new handsets at great prices.

but Mary... what if you guys at rogers pull the same shit as you did a little while ago and change the upgrade period without telling your customers so they get stuck with a pos phone for an extra year? (gf was told 12 months, 12 months comes around... oh sorry we changed your plan without telling you... it is now 24 months)

A790
01-04-2010, 09:34 PM
Hi All - This is Mary with Rogers. Came across this thread and wanted to jump in to the conversation. First of all, let me just say that we think competition is great for Canadian consumers. That said, let me clarify a few points so that you can make an informed decision.

Keep in mind that while Wind advertises unlimited plans, it's not actually unlimited because of usage charges outside their footprint. This also applies to calls outside your Wind Zone that can incur additional surprises on your bill. Before you select a plan, have a look at what you really need because customers often overpay for "unlimited" when really they need much less than that.

With features like MY5, unlimited network calling, a single nationwide data zone, etc. on Rogers there are more options available that are more cost effective in the long run. Wind still can't buy you cost certainty.

Also, a BB9700 costs $450 with Wind on day one. With Rogers, the same phone costs $199.99 on a three-year term and you're eligible for a new subsidized upgrade in 24 months. In the long run, you'll have a better selection of new handsets at great prices.

You guys need a reality check. I've been with Rogers for years, spend over $300/mo EVERY MONTH (sometimes double/triple that), and I still have to jump through hoops to get any amount of service.

Xtrema
01-04-2010, 09:46 PM

Wow interesting marketing move.

But here's a reality check....

At $80 a month, that's $20 less than my smartphone plan that has a limit. $20 * 36 month contract = $720 which make your 9700 TOC to be $920. And free LD in home zone, fricking awesome.

I'm glad competition is finally here. Yes, you probably will charge WIND user an arm or a leg for roaming but I'm sure I can afford it with limited travel a minimum saving of $470 with your plans.

You better hope WIND's coverage and choice of phone stays low, you have nothing on it's price plans.

I'm sure by the time my contract with you is over in 2 years, WIND should expand far enough to get my business.

FiveFreshFish
01-04-2010, 09:47 PM
Before you select a plan, have a look at what you really need because customers often overpay for "unlimited" when really they need much less than that.

True. I never go over on my plan that costs $21 all-in.

ercchry
01-04-2010, 09:51 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

True. I never go over on my plan that costs $21 all-in.

YOU do not have a smartphone... without even data and the only unlimited thing on my plan being text... i am at $75/month i have to pay an extra $15 JUST to have a blackberry, and to be able to use bbm

colinxx235
01-04-2010, 09:54 PM
My favorite is when someone from rogers tells you that you now have unlimited text along with video/picture messaging, and then you receive a big fat bill next month. Call them up and find out... oh wait... your plan doesn't include picture/video would you like to add that? you then add they tell you adjusted price fine fine, you get next months bill and find out that you are now locked into a "special" iphone text/data bundle for 3 YEARS without being notified or having signed/approved such changes.... yup... definitely great customer service

Suey
01-04-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

but Mary... what if you guys at rogers pull the same shit as you did a little while ago and change the upgrade period without telling your customers so they get stuck with a pos phone for an extra year? (gf was told 12 months, 12 months comes around... oh sorry we changed your plan without telling you... it is now 24 months)

If they change your plan like your voice plan, you can walkout on ur contract Free without Cancellation fee.

As for the wind Mobile, I for one was going to switch but i'm glad i didn't, mary is correct WIND doesn't have enough towers out there so they've created Roaming AGreements with other carriers, and Unlimited Plans only work when ur under the Wind mobile Towers, if you're not around any you get charged about 25 cents per minute on calling 35Cents Per KB on data, and 30cents per text INCLUDING INCOMING TEXT AND OUTGOING, So if i were you, don't switch to Wind Mobile Just yet. If you think about it with those hidden fees, They're Called Robbers Oh wait ROGERS 2.0?

PS if you're on a Blackberry and you're on WIND, Only way to stay on wind towers is go to OPTIONS > Mobile Network > Network Selection Mode >HOME ONLY

Sugarphreak
01-04-2010, 09:58 PM

black13
01-04-2010, 10:00 PM

sorry but fuck Rogers and your price gouging bullshit! I'm reaalll happy some competition has come to make you guys get a scared.

Xtrema
01-04-2010, 10:02 PM
Originally posted by Suey

If they change your plan like your voice plan, you can walkout on ur contract Free without Cancellation fee.

As for the wind Mobile, I for one was going to switch but i'm glad i didn't, mary is correct WIND doesn't have enough towers out there so they've created Roaming AGreements with other carriers, and Unlimited Plans only work when ur under the Wind mobile Towers, if you're not around any you get charged about 25 cents per minute on calling 35Cents Per KB on data, and 30cents per text INCLUDING INCOMING TEXT AND OUTGOING, So if i were you, don't switch to Wind Mobile Just yet. If you think about it with those hidden fees, They're Called Robbers Oh wait ROGERS 2.0?

I'm not surprise that's the case. Heck, they won't even have complete Calgary covered until probably mid to late 2010.

But if I'm in home zone and roamed, I won't be paying the bill. WIND better make sure they won't screw users that way.

Again, 98% of my calls will be made within WIND's 2010 home zone, I'm not afraid to switch when time comes. Rogers probably have to give me 2 free iPhones to keep me. :D

Suey
01-04-2010, 10:06 PM
Originally posted by black13

sorry but fuck Rogers and your price gouging bullshit! I'm reaalll happy some competition has come to make you guys get a scared.

The in Share Market Rogers Dropped by 8% in shares. so Only ones in trouble are Rogers. Bell and Telus Dropped by 3-4%. Most of my friends are rogers and just complain about how shitty the CS is and How they just add random shit on the bill

FiveFreshFish
01-04-2010, 10:09 PM
Originally posted by ercchry

YOU do not have a smartphone... without even data and the only unlimited thing on my plan being text... i am at $75/month i have to pay an extra $15 JUST to have a blackberry, and to be able to use bbm

I have unlimited text and browser, but I never use the latter because it's pretty much useless on a RAZR2. Bell would charge me at least $25 more for a data plan if I had a smart phone.

But I have a Telus BB through work so it's all good. I never get to see the bills. :D

J-D
01-04-2010, 10:22 PM
I have one of the first unlimited data plans Telus offered grandfathered, bring on faster HSPA phones :D

Twin_Cam_Turbo
01-04-2010, 10:24 PM
Definately not going back to Rogers when my contract runs out, horrible service, the mess shit up, price is ok though. I really like my moms Koodo plan, I dont think I need an iPhone with all the bells and whistles now, just unlimited texting and a few minutes.

ercchry
01-04-2010, 10:29 PM
Originally posted by J-D
I have one of the first unlimited data plans Telus offered grandfathered, bring on faster HSPA phones :D

i dare you to call and tell them to switch you over to one of those phones!

Suey
01-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by J-D

LoL doesn't matter if u switch over to Telus HSPA FRMO CDMA YOu have to change ur Data PLan bud, since its still new Bellus network isn't perfected yet. so don't even bother

msommers
01-04-2010, 11:21 PM
Originally posted by J-D

Don't bother switching over yet. Besides, I don't believe the $15/month UL data is able to be switched over to HSPA regardless.

thetransporter
01-05-2010, 01:44 AM
wait till westnet lauches for all you telus CDMA guys. hopefully they will have unlimited local calling..

SpeedIllusion
01-05-2010, 01:52 AM
Atleast the people at Wind tell you the coverage is spotty with deadzones and they explain the Away zone charges with clarity too. Once they start getting a shitload of towers up, Robellus better start doing amazing shit or people will just leave to sign up with Wind. 25cents for calls made in the US is crazy, no more $1+/min charges when I'm in Vegas :D

SpeedIllusion
01-05-2010, 01:56 AM
And hey Mary, if Rogers was such a good company, why do you guys train your reps to harp on other competitors? If the company was THAT good they wouldn't need to lower themselves like that!

Vagabond142
01-05-2010, 02:23 AM
I have WIND, I also have the unlimited voice/unlimited data at $80/mth.

I bought a Blackberry Bold 9700 on the second day that wind was out in Calgary.

Let me explain my experiences so far:

-It's a new network. There have been a few hiccups, as is expected. Sometimes the call doesn't go through, all you need do is redial, and it goes right through. That was mostly in the christmas week, when the network was probably FLOODED with calls.

-Voice quality is simply amazing. It's an IP based system, so it's digital levels of clarity.

-I have had a few issues with 3G connectivity in my home community of Charleswood. Now, if I were to call, say, ROGERS on this and say "hey, I have sucky reception here, anything you can do about it?" they would tell me to fuck off and bend over so I can get a few more hidden charges shoved up me.

Not so with Wind. I called in and talked to an EXCELLENT service agent (and I only had to keypress through two very nicely voiced menus to get to a REAL PERSON). Within minutes they had logged my complaint (reception in my community) and, as a bonus, credited all of december to my account (I didn't pay a cent for december). I get called by the service tech assigned to my complaint here in Calgary today, and to my surprise, he's calling from out on the STREET. I pop out to meet him, I point out on his map where I have good coverage, where it sucks, etc. I get a call later on in the afternoon, and it's the service tech. As a direct result of my talking to a PERSON vs a computer, the towers surrounding Charleswood are going to have their power boosted, and my bill for February will be covered entirely by Wind due to the "inconvenience that reporting this problem has caused you," which is really 20 minutes out of my day which I gladly gave.

-I was on a special price plan with rogers before, 3 year contract for $30/mth for a basic plan with call display, no text, no voice mail, and 200 minutes a month. By the time I left the contract (natural expiration) in September 2009, I was paying almost $50/mth for the same plan because the contract had that lovely little clause saying "we can change pricing plans at any time, without warning."

This is why I'm with Wind. If they change their prices and I don't like it, I leave. Easy as that. No contracts to tie me down, and by far and above the most stupendous customer service I have received in the past decade. And the upfront cost of the phones is pretty much cheaper than you'd pay anyways for them through the big 3.

Overall, I will say that despite a few issues with the internet (which was RIM's fault, not WIND), and the signal strength issue in Charleswood, I have been incredibly satisfied with my phone and plan.

A word of warning however, is that outside of a Home Zone, you will roam. However, I rarely if EVER travel outside the city, so this is a perfect plan for me. However, if you are WITHIN the Home Zone and you get slid onto Away, and it shows on your bill, you just call em up and say "I was in the city at this time when I got charged roaming" and the company eats the charge, on the spot. Big Brother knows where you are everytime a call is made, so they can easily verify your location. :)

tr4cti0n
01-05-2010, 02:47 AM
I heard that wind will give you the unlock code to your phone after 3 months of service if you call their customer care line and you can choose to cancel the contract if you wanted it afterwards too

Vagabond142
01-05-2010, 03:29 AM
Originally posted by tr4cti0n
I heard that wind will give you the unlock code to your phone after 3 months of service if you call their customer care line and you can choose to cancel the contract if you wanted it afterwards too

I've heard that too, nothing solid yet, but hopeful

tr4cti0n
01-05-2010, 03:42 AM
that would be sweet, I'm looking into getting a X10 and depending on how much wind will be charging for it, I might just get it from wind then cancel instead of buying it online

TC06
01-05-2010, 04:00 AM
It's been confirmed that they will give you a free unlock code after 3 months of service!

dharminder
01-05-2010, 09:30 AM
is it me or is that not typical rogers service that mary came in here said her two cents worth of bullshit and never followed up

Zero102
01-05-2010, 09:46 AM
... you can choose to cancel the contract if you wanted it afterwards too

... then cancel instead of buying it online

I thought wind didn't have any contracts? That's why the phones are full price?

Zero102
01-05-2010, 09:51 AM

Seriously? You tell us that wind is not truly unlimited because if you leave their coverage area (i.e. are ROAMING) you will pay extra charges, then go on to brag about features that are only free when you are in the rogers coverage area? Rogers still has fees when you are roaming, if you are going to come on here and tell us you are from Rogers, you should really make an effort to compare apples to apples here.

Also, talking about subsidizing handsets, you are right, a BB9700 costs $450 on wind, and if you get one with rogers you have to sign a 3 year contract, you may be eligible to upgrade again after 2 years, but you will then have to sign another 3 year contract. For those 2 years you will be paying $20/month of your plan directly into your handset bringing the total cost up to $439.99 and you will have to renew your contract to get another phone at this time or else finish your contract (thereby paying another $120 for your handset) to get out. During this time you guys will inevitably up the cancellation charges and monthly service fees again and as a result the owner of this "$199" BB9700 will pay well in excess of $450 for their phone. Again Rogers, you are being deceptive.

I really hope wind ups their game and expands their network so that when my contract expires with Rogers I can leave their underhanded ways and move on to another provider (read: WIND).

Zero102
01-05-2010, 09:53 AM
Fail, double post :(

05-25-2010, 01:48 AM
Bump from the dead.

How are you Wind Users finding it now? I'm thinking of switching this Wednesday, and right now they have this half off any plan for 6 months which makes it a bit more tempting.
I read some comments that coverage throughout the city should be finished by now, so is the connection solid?

Also, on their website the plans go from $15 and then the next one up is a big jump to $35, is there really nothing in between?

Lastly, aside from the Blackberry and the HTC, which phone would you recommend?

Thanks!

EvolizePhoto
05-25-2010, 02:28 AM
I'm with wind. Have been two months now. Service is awesome in airdrie calgary and okotoks. I can't complain paying $35/mo for basically unlimited everything including long distance and data

05-25-2010, 02:36 AM
Originally posted by EvolizePhoto
I'm with wind. Have been two months now. Service is awesome in airdrie calgary and okotoks. I can't complain paying $35/mo for basically unlimited everything including long distance and data

Did you get a special deal on yours? That sounds better than anything they're offering on their site.

EvolizePhoto
05-25-2010, 03:48 AM
Originally posted by 590221010

Did you get a special deal on yours? That sounds better than anything they're offering on their site. Friends & Family Plan.

$15 - Unlimited Voice, Text, Long Distance, caller id, voicemail etc.
And then I used to have
$35 unlimited data
which is now switched to
$20 - 500mb data, because i only use about 150-200mb/month on data. So 500mb is unlimited to me.

05-25-2010, 10:22 PM
Friends & Family Plan.

$15 - Unlimited Voice, Text, Long Distance, caller id, voicemail etc.
And then I used to have
$35 unlimited data
which is now switched to
$20 - 500mb data, because i only use about 150-200mb/month on data. So 500mb is unlimited to me.
Is there a way that I can get the friends and family plan too? That's a wicked deal!

EvolizePhoto
05-25-2010, 10:23 PM

Is there a way that I can get the friends and family plan too? That's a wicked deal! Just sit and be patient, wait for WIND to kick up another deal similar. Couple friends who work there said there is going to be a summer bonus offer like the friends and family.

Shitty part about friends and family is that it's expired at the end of april :(

05-25-2010, 10:39 PM
When it expires does that mean you go back to paying the regular rates?
And I just looked up the friends and family plan and wow some people were selling it for like $600, I don't think I'd be getting in on that summer bonus since I don't know anybody who works at Wind or willing to pay that $600 upfront :(

EvolizePhoto
05-25-2010, 11:00 PM
Just shoot JLTabot a PM on beyond, he is my friend who hooked me up with the F&F plan. He works at wind, name is jessie hes an awesome guy. I'm sure he would be more than happy to find you one or even hook you up with one if they ever come around again!

jltabot
05-27-2010, 01:39 PM
^^^ thanks dave :)

so, another update..

if any of you guys happen to know blockbuster employees, they have this special deal going on with wind.. (blockbuster f/f)

it gives you the $45 Always Shout plan, for $25. You just need to have a special coupon/card that indicates the "referral".

to the best of my knowledge, these plans are available whether or not the blockbuster employee remains employed with blockbuster, *fingers crossed* dont quote me on it though..

also, this offer ends MAY 30th, 2010 and is only available at blockbusters WITH wind kiosks in them.

i managed to get two of these cards off of the blockbuster employees i work with (assuming that those who have PM'd me regarding this offer are still interested).

for other member's who still want this "hook up", PM me cause the offer is only good for the next couple days..

EvolizePhoto
05-27-2010, 01:42 PM
Originally posted by jltabot
^^^ thanks dave :)

so, another update..

if any of you guys happen to know blockbuster employees, they have this special deal going on with wind.. (blockbuster f/f)

it gives you the $45 Always Shout plan, for $25. You just need to have a special coupon/card that indicates the "referral".

to the best of my knowledge, these plans are available whether or not the blockbuster employee remains employed with blockbuster, *fingers crossed* dont quote me on it though..

also, this offer ends MAY 30th, 2010 and is only available at blockbusters WITH wind kiosks in them.

i managed to get two of these cards off of the blockbuster employees i work with (assuming that those who have PM'd me regarding this offer are still interested).

for other member's who still want this "hook up", PM me cause the offer is only good for the next couple days.. Awesome deal man. I need to find my dad a good deal like what I have for a phone for him

jltabot
05-28-2010, 05:05 PM
i managed to cop another couple of those "cards" off of my fellow blockbuster people, so PM me if youre still interested. valid only good till sunday? or monday.. lol

Graham_A_M
05-29-2010, 10:21 PM

LOL, okie dokie. Let me get back on board then. I remember the squabble I had to go through with you guys with the BBB, because I was paying $70/month for a glorified pager; since the phone was entirely un-usable thanks to your "remarkibly reliable network" :rolleyes:

It will be a cold blizzarding day in Hell before I *EVER* even think about using Rogers for anything.
I dont even rent videos from Rogers Video anymore, and they are 100meters from my house. Fuck you guys... :whipped:

Cos
05-29-2010, 10:50 PM

Vagabond142
05-29-2010, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Couple things:

1.) My company has a contract to provide power to a BUNCH more towers in Alberta. We are working on it and their network is going to be awesome.

2.) I love my iphone but hate rogers (they just changed my service area so that High River/Okotoks/ and north of Airdrie are now all LONG DISTANCE. WHAT THE FUCK :banghead:

Anyways, I dont think my iphone will work on wind. Am I doomed to wait or what are my options here?

There are AWS capable iPhones out there... I just forget which network in the states had them :\

Cos
05-29-2010, 11:24 PM

SportEL
05-29-2010, 11:57 PM
No, there is no AWS iPhone. AWS operates on the 1700 band, and Apple is not compatible. Just look at the specs on the 3GS ---->http://www.gsmarena.com/apple_iphone_3gs-2826.php

jltabot
05-30-2010, 12:07 PM
SportEL is right, an iPhone from anywhere isnt compatible on the wind network..

UPDATE:

I will be working TODAY at the SADDLETOWNE BLOCKBUSTER from 2PM-5PM. THREE HOURS. Anyone still interested in the blockbuster AITF deal can come in during that time to do the activation. please PM me ahead of time so that I at least have an idea of who's coming and when, so that there isnt some rush to get this 5 mins before im off lol

**for those who want to keep their current number, please bring in an old bill, which has the account number, address, etc..(all the info needed to do the port-in properly from another carrier)***

last day only, so might as well hook up as many members as i can :)

Vagabond142
05-30-2010, 01:50 PM
odd... I remember reading somewhere that iPhones were coming with AWS.... maybe the iPHone 4? (shrug)

Sorry for the confusion

2000impreza
05-30-2010, 04:02 PM
Originally posted by Cos
Couple things:

1.) My company has a contract to provide power to a BUNCH more towers in Alberta. We are working on it and their network is going to be awesome.

2.) I love my iphone but hate rogers (they just changed my service area so that High River/Okotoks/ and north of Airdrie are now all LONG DISTANCE. WHAT THE FUCK :banghead:

Anyways, I dont think my iphone will work on wind. Am I doomed to wait or what are my options here?

For high end smart phones/I-phone alternatives you are pretty much limited to the Nexus one, HTC HD2, Nokia N900 or SE X10i. The recently released HTC/T-Mobile MyTouch Slide could be considered as well but IMO its a middle range device. I have both the Nexus one and N900 which work fairly well on Wind. My only issue with Wind is the coverage is spotty in certain parts of the home zone.

jltabot
05-30-2010, 05:06 PM
so im off work now... no one else came in..
ill double check tomorrow and see if the plan is still available and keep those who are still interested but couldnt make it today updated..

cheers!

EvolizePhoto
06-01-2010, 03:36 PM
I'm getting tired of not being able to swap out phones....I am the kind of person who changes my phone every 1-2 months. I get bored, I need a new one to remain happy. Just how I am. I don't have that option with wind :( I'm kinda stuck with my htc g1, and when I sell it I won't have a phone because it's really hard finding a new one.

If anybody has a wind compatible phone please lemme know

nj2Type-S
06-01-2010, 04:28 PM
if i can get an iphone with wind, i'd definitely switch over when my contract w/ fido ends in a couple of months, hehe.

TorqueDog
06-01-2010, 04:50 PM
I wish Wind wasn't on the AWS Spectrum, that's their biggest downfall.

toastgremlin
06-01-2010, 05:09 PM
I'm thinking of buying one of their cheap, trashy phones (or using a SIM card with my Orange SPV or S-E T610 if they're compatible - I dunno if they are AWS) and trying them out for a few months. If I end up liking them, I'll drop the cash for a Nexus One or similar. If not, just toss it and change providers.

I'm surprised Rogers/Telus/Bell haven't dropped into full-on panic mode. My Bell contract ends on June 15 and I'll be glad to see their shit sandwich gone.

dkmlam
06-01-2010, 05:26 PM
I work at the Children's hospital and the reception with wind is amazing. I get about 4 bars. It was really spotty and I only got 1 bar or no reception with my iPhone with Rogers.

06-02-2010, 01:35 AM
Reception is spotty in my area and at UofC (only problem I've experienced so far was in MFH right when I leave the classroom reception drops to 0) :( .
Can't complain though with the deal jltabot got me :D , they'll only be getting better I'll be looking forward to it

CUG
06-02-2010, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by A790

You guys need a reality check. I've been with Rogers for years, spend over $300/mo EVERY MONTH (sometimes double/triple that), and I still have to jump through hoops to get any amount of service.

Yep, same here. I've sustained well over $300 per month with Rogers. One of you "big three" companies could have easily set a new standard for service, but I suppose since you believe everyone who's going to buy a phone - has a phone already, you aren't going to budge on your pathetic costs on things.

I'm sincere when I say that if Rogers fucks me around again, I'm going to drop them and not give them a dime, but not before I set up international calling and have casual chats with random numbers I find for india or the middle east, and repeated 1900 calls.

Go ahead, report to my credit file. I've got enough pancakes, and credit to not worry about shitting on some piss-ant cellular company. A bank isn't going to refuse business with me because of your company's wormshit "unpaid collection". It just won't happen. If the bank turned away people with piles of equity, good bankrolls, and otherwise stellar fiscal responsibility, their managers or approvals people would be canned and shit would hit the fan. If you think that's your safety net for unpaid phone bills, you are fucking wrong.

(Caveat to possible readers; don't take this attitude with them unless you legitimately are able to back that up 100%. If you're still building credit or fixing credit or for some fucking reason NEED credit, you'll need to continue buying condoms for the long dicks of your cell phone companies)

Mary, I think it's great that you're a 110% company-woman, but if you back off of your corporate rhetoric for a moment and look at how badly the your company, as well as the other big companies fuck people... nevermind, you already know.

PS, how am I not a preferred client, or getting upper echelon service? $300/month is on the low side. I've had 1200 and 1500 bills with you turkey's in the past.

PPS: Rogers users, they have an unlimited north american calling option they'll only give you if you talk to a retentions person. (you have to have a legit case though).
It costs $30 per month to anywhere from your home city.

Edit: PPPS: Mary, I'm not singling out Rogers, it's not just you guys. I met Ted Rogers, and even got Christmas presents from him at the Christmas parties before he died numerous times when I was a child and Rogers cable was still an entity in Calgary. That was the only reason I signed on with you guys as opposed to Bell (for a second time) or Telus.

I don't think any of you guys offer anything unique or better than the next, so I decided based on sentiment.

That "too bad" attitude needs to go if you ever want happy customers. You guys don't care about that even in the slightest. Low-ball the other companies and tell the CRTC to shove it up their fucking asses when they cry about unfair competition.

jwslam
06-02-2010, 10:00 AM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
I'm thinking of buying one of their cheap, trashy phones (or using a SIM card with my Orange SPV or S-E T610 if they're compatible - I dunno if they are AWS) and trying them out for a few months. If I end up liking them, I'll drop the cash for a Nexus One or similar. If not, just toss it and change providers.
Get the nexus one to try wind and use the same phone to move around. The two phones you said are so old they're from before the term AWS was even coined lol... so the answer is no, they are not AWS.

Check this list
gsmarena (http://www.gsmarena.com/results.php3?sName=&idMaker=0&chkUMTS1700=selected&idAvailability=0&nPriceLow=0&nPriceHigh=0&idCurrency=0&idFormFactor=0&idDualSIM=0&idQwerty=0&HeightMax=0&WidthMax=0&ThicknessMax=0&WeightMax=0&idOS=0&idDisplay=0&idDisplayRes=0&fDisplaySize=0&idDisplayTech=0&idTouchscreen=0&idAccelerometer=0&id35mm=0&idCamera=0&idCameraFlash=0&idVideoRecorder=0&idExpansionCard=0&idGPS=0&bWLAN=0&bEDGE=0&bGPRS=0&idBluetooth=0&bIR=0&bEmail=0&bWAP=0&bJava=0&idRadio=0&bMMS=0&idRingtones=0&sColor=&StandBy=0&TalkTime=0&sFreeText=)

toastgremlin
06-02-2010, 10:49 AM
Originally posted by jwslam

Get the nexus one to try wind and use the same phone to move around. The two phones you said are so old they're from before the term AWS was even coined lol... so the answer is no, they are not AWS. Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. :(

If I buy a Nexus One with AWS, it doesn't look like it will work on other networks - Google's site makes you choose and apparently sells you a different phone if you are on AWS vs. "regular" GSM.

Perhaps I've misread it though; if what you're saying is true that's pretty much the ideal. I guess I could always sell it off if I don't end up liking the network to the next guy who wants to try it.

dkmlam
06-02-2010, 04:00 PM
Anyone sign up for WIND recently? How's the reception in your area? I was at my buddy's place 5 min. north of DT and was in the AWAY zone while I was in his basement.

jwslam
06-02-2010, 04:28 PM
Originally posted by toastgremlin
Yeah, that's what I was afraid of. :(

If I buy a Nexus One with AWS, it doesn't look like it will work on other networks - Google's site makes you choose and apparently sells you a different phone if you are on AWS vs. "regular" GSM.

Perhaps I've misread it though; if what you're saying is true that's pretty much the ideal. I guess I could always sell it off if I don't end up liking the network to the next guy who wants to try it.
I believe Dave/Public is coming in on AWS in the near future.
Yea you can't use your Nexus One on rogers/telus/bell 3g.... you can still get data on EDGE (afaik) but that's damn slow and who lives in that era anymore

Shredon1
06-02-2010, 06:59 PM
Grabbed a phone off ebay from T-mobile in the usa...works great with wind! Network is a bit sketchy and the full duplex seems to suck but can't beat the price!

EvolizePhoto
06-02-2010, 07:08 PM
Originally posted by Shredon1
Grabbed a phone off ebay from T-mobile in the usa...works great with wind! Network is a bit sketchy and the full duplex seems to suck but can't beat the price! what phone did you get

2000impreza
06-02-2010, 09:33 PM
Originally posted by jwslam

I believe Dave/Public is coming in on AWS in the near future.
Yea you can't use your Nexus One on rogers/telus/bell 3g.... you can still get data on EDGE (afaik) but that's damn slow and who lives in that era anymore

We should see a Mobilicity launch in Calgary by end of this year. Shaw is still a couple years away from launch. They have not even begun setting up their network yet. lol. Both Mobilicity and Shaw will operate on AWS spectrum. The big 3 (Telus, Bell, and Rogers) also have AWS spectrum but no word on how they plan on using it.

Public mobile operates on CDMA 1900 G band spectrum and will not be comparable with AWS devices. Not to mention public only covers certain areas in Montreal and Toronto.

For anyone interested, the spectrum auction details from 2008:

http://wirelessnorth.ca/2008/07/21/spectrum-auction-its-over-final-results-of-canadas-2008-aws-spectrum-auction/

Shredon1
06-02-2010, 09:42 PM
what phone did you get

HTC HD2

:love:

2000impreza
06-02-2010, 09:54 PM
Originally posted by Shredon1

HTC HD2

:love:

Hows the Windows mobile 6.5 with Sense UI skin on the HD2? I looked at the HD2 a few weeks ago. The first thing I noticed was how much better the screen is compared to the Nexus one I had. I didn't end up getting it due to WinMo 6.5 OS. Being a WinMo user for the last 3 years, I've grown to dislike it. lol.

06-02-2010, 11:09 PM
Has anyone tried their phone in Balzac?

schocker
06-02-2010, 11:36 PM
After seeing the 50% off deal, I was considering this, then I saw that my house is not in the calgary zone until later in 2010:facepalm:

Shredon1
06-03-2010, 10:15 AM
Originally posted by 2000impreza

Hows the Windows mobile 6.5 with Sense UI skin on the HD2? I looked at the HD2 a few weeks ago. The first thing I noticed was how much better the screen is compared to the Nexus one I had. I didn't end up getting it due to WinMo 6.5 OS. Being a WinMo user for the last 3 years, I've grown to dislike it. lol.

Capacitive touchscreen and a 1gig processor kinda make up for 6.5 shortcomings. Cooked roms help too. I have many old apps that need WinMo (Network cameras, obdII, ect) so I'm kinda stuck.

There are some spots around X-Iron Mills that work but it's right on the edge of the home network limit...
No work in mall:thumbsdow

mr2mike
06-03-2010, 02:51 PM

Sort of. I was on the ring road and it seemed to be in the home location. I live on the outskirts of the NW and I noticed going from Cgy to home, the phone will stay in the home zone for a long time no problem.
Going from Home to Cgy... the phone will not switch to the Home zone until I get to something like McMahon... it pisses me off. I know I'm in a home zone but I still get the Away Zone.

But other than that, I like the setup.

Also anyone with the BB 9700? My BBM contact pics don't show up. I've tried reinstalling, a few times and nothing. So gay but I think it's a BES problem not a wind problem.

dsr7723
06-03-2010, 03:08 PM
You get what you pay for. I'm never jumping ship from Fido. I've heard from tons of people that Wind sucks.

mr2mike
06-03-2010, 03:18 PM
Originally posted by dsr7723
You get what you pay for. I'm never jumping ship from Fido.
Right...
Fido, I remember when they started up. Only inner city service, dropped calls like nobody's business.
They've sorted their kinks and they work well.

I'm not complaining, had the phone a week and it's great so far. The bill will be cheaper than my old rogers and my usage has gone up I'd say 50%.

jltabot
06-21-2010, 05:37 PM
another update:

similar to those already on the Blockbuster plans that give you the $45 always shout for $25, ive got the same version of it, just a different name.

FIVE slips to give out, called all in the extended family offer. just PM me for those interested, ill give it to you for free (someone is trying to sell it for $100 in the marketplace, so might as well save yourself the cash and message me lol)

keep in mind that once you sign up for this deal, they are NON-transferrable.

EvolizePhoto
06-21-2010, 05:48 PM
Right on Jesse good on you bro.

btw check ur pm

thextinct
06-22-2010, 12:02 AM
another update:

similar to those already on the Blockbuster plans that give you the $45 always shout for $25, ive got the same version of it, just a different name.

FIVE slips to give out, called all in the extended family offer. just PM me for those interested, ill give it to you for free (someone is trying to sell it for $100 in the marketplace, so might as well save yourself the cash and message me lol)

PM'd

06-22-2010, 02:15 AM
another update:

Jessie you're the best :clap:
I might have a friend that's interested but he can't till after Thursday so I'll pm you then to see if they're all gone yet

911sc
06-22-2010, 09:13 AM
Switched to Wind a week ago and so far haven't really experienced any problems around the city and I drive around allot. The only thing I noticed was that some parts in the University were sketchy but I mean deep inside the basements etc... So overall so Far very satisfied especially since I reduced my bill by over $70 month from when I was with Fido

jltabot
06-22-2010, 12:15 PM
update:

first and foremost, for those that have already PM'd me, send me your email if you havent already. it just goes a lot smoother instead of having to sift through PM's to find the right contact.

for those who are still interested, haven't pm'd me or haven't sent in your email, email me along with your username on beyond just so i have an idea who's looking to come down and how many i have so far.

[email protected]

again, i work at the wind kiosk inside the saddletowne blockbuster NE.

this offer is only valid until june 28th but here is my schedule for this week:

june 22 - 6pm to 11pm
june 24/25 - 10am to 6pm

if you have any more questions, just email me and ill get back to you asap!!

jltabot
06-22-2010, 10:35 PM
this is getting crazy, too many pm's!! lol

for those still interested, just email me and ill do my best to answer questions and stuff..

thanks!

mr2mike
06-22-2010, 11:14 PM
Sent you a rating!
Thanks again.

gyu
06-23-2010, 10:21 PM
Wind seems to be down in my area completely after the thunderstorm :( anybody else?

300zxfairlday
06-23-2010, 10:30 PM
what area are you in my bros phone is doing some weird ass shit too

gyu
06-23-2010, 10:55 PM
panorama/coventry where is your bro experiencing problems?
yesterday I noticed it cutting on and off occasionally but today nothing

jltabot
06-25-2010, 10:39 AM
update:

all passes/slips were used up. therefore i do not have anymore to give.

thanks guys!

SportEL
07-31-2010, 11:34 PM
Too bad they've stopped selling the Nexus One. I'm glad I got mine before they shut down the online store.

I found out that you can buy the AWS version of the Samsung Galaxy S online here --->http://www.cellworldco.com/products-category/phone/wind/samsung-t959-vibrant-aws.html

reno97637
08-01-2010, 03:50 PM
Can you use the iPhone4 on Wind?

SportEL
08-01-2010, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by reno97637
Can you use the iPhone4 on Wind?

No, it's not compatible with the 1700 AWS spectrum. But why would you want an iPhone anyways? Android phones are way better.

mr2mike
09-03-2010, 10:35 AM
I think Wind has been extending their Home service in Calgary. My phone now has full bars on the 3G network out in the Panatella and Panorama Hills area. :thumbsup:

It was dicey there for awhile as I couldn't even make calls in this area a few days ago, so I knew something was up with their network, then yesterday, whammy... full 3G service.

Anyone else have reports of home service areas being updated?

bookem
09-03-2010, 06:45 PM
Originally posted by mr2mike
Anyone else have reports of home service areas being updated?

"Home Zone" Service is definitely improving... often found myself out in Elbow Valley and Sprinkbank area back in April, and there was zero service... now I'm able to get 3G in some spots. Even within the city, 14 St @ 64 Ave NW used to be a real bad spot, but I at least get a signal there now.

r0g3r
09-07-2010, 10:31 AM
Anyy updates on the recEption ?? Have u guys been getting better reception now? I'm considering signing up for it so wanted to know if reception got better

mr2mike
09-07-2010, 11:11 AM
It continuously gets better. Where in the city do you generally spend most of your time and guys on here can tell you if it will be worth changing to WIND.

r0g3r
09-07-2010, 11:55 AM
I live in Coventry hills and work in the south, Blackfoot trail n....84?

But mostly time spent in the NW

Do you guys know how the reception is in these locations?

mr2mike
09-07-2010, 12:01 PM
AS I posted earlier, Coventry hills area should be really good service too. A few weeks ago it was brutal if you got up to the Northern part of Stoney Tr. it would drop to Away. Now it seems 100% Home 3G.

NW is good except Tuscany and some areas I find in Edgemont get low service as well as if you go inside a store at Beacon Hill its bad service.
Rona at Creekside drops calls for me too. But lately its been perfect probably with a new tower or something.

Blackfoot, not sure.

gyu
09-11-2010, 06:01 PM
It is improving but with chatr offering nearly identical plans I'm not sure why you wouldn't go with them since it is essentially Rogers so connection should be great, unless you can get a sweet wind hook up.
ps is there any wind deals going on right now similar to the previous ones?

mr2mike
09-13-2010, 09:37 AM
Chatr if you don't need a Data plan?!?
No data whatsoever?

cdnsir
02-04-2011, 04:33 PM
BUMP!

Court gives WIND 45 days to make it "more Canadian".

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/court-quashes-tory-cabinets-globalive-decision/article1895099/

AndyL
02-04-2011, 08:06 PM
Its amazing how different phones result in different reception...

I started with the huawei u7519 went to the nokia 5230, that was an improvement but this alcatel is 100% better than either... pretty solid reception within city limits...

Still not thrilled with customer service, guess its on par with telus... that's not saying much really...

Still love the 40.00 unlimited everything plan...