PDA

View Full Version : Closed Thread Re. Poker Table??

project240
01-02-2010, 03:03 PM
Here is a link to the thread I am referring to...
http://forums.beyond.ca/st/288643/fs-custom-built-maple-10-man-poker-table-w-dining-top/

Background info that was removed from thread was that I was selling a poker table which I built several years ago. This is a private sale. Yes, I do woodworking as a part time hobby, but this is still a private sale.

I have 2 pms from mods in my inbox last time a thread of mine was closed who both said there wasn't a problem posting a thread selling something I have previously made.

Yes, I have read the terms and conditions, etc, etc. Not sure how my listing violated anything I previously read.

If the mod who closed my thread reads this can you please pm me.

troi.oi
01-02-2010, 03:07 PM
might as well maek the table for free if its not for sale if it is for sale u gotta post a price not what u want to do by means of holding a poker match for the table

project240
01-02-2010, 05:38 PM
I had a price posted, others had expressed interest in a tourney, seeing if anyone else was interested.

project240
01-03-2010, 02:37 PM
:dunno:

Kloubek
01-03-2010, 02:47 PM
I can understand why it was removed. It competes with the abundance of other paid businesses which sell poker tables.

(Is there a single one?)

topmade
01-03-2010, 03:06 PM
I bet it was nuked because of your previous thread of taking orders. So eventhough this particular one seemed legit, you've probably marked yourself as a business.

project240
01-03-2010, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
I can understand why it was removed. It competes with the abundance of other paid businesses which sell poker tables.

(Is there a single one?)

Haha. Exactly.

Originally posted by topmade
I bet it was nuked because of your previous thread of taking orders. So eventhough this particular one seemed legit, you've probably marked yourself as a business.

I'm not a business though by any means. I work full time as a carpenter and do woodworking as a hobby part time only. I was given the sponsorship options from a mod, but it's pretty damn tough to justify the $2500/year cost when my total woodworking profits from 2009 equals $0.

As previously mentioned, I built this table several years ago, I have plans to build a new one, therefore the sale?? Seems reasonable no... :dunno:

Again, I'd appreciate it if the mod who closed it would pm me.

topmade
01-03-2010, 04:18 PM
I totally agree that you are not a business, but the mods probably have a different opinion based on your previous thread. Maybe give Rage2 or Kenny a PM to clarify what you are doing and/or throw it on Kijiji, you'll probably get more response there anyways for this type of item.

C_Dave45
01-03-2010, 04:49 PM
I can't see why it was closed down either. He had something that he wanted to sell. end of story. :dunno:
Seems a little knee-jerk to me. Others are continually selling cars and car parts....no problems there. Why in this situation?

Reason given:
"private sale" would mean selling personal items and not selling wholesale goods "privately" to 30 customers I didn't see where there were 30 tables for sale. I only see one.

chkolny541
01-03-2010, 04:55 PM
the mods here are deff on a power trip, it sounds like your ad was pretty legit also,

project240
01-03-2010, 06:55 PM
Originally posted by topmade
I totally agree that you are not a business, but the mods probably have a different opinion based on your previous thread. Maybe give Rage2 or Kenny a PM to clarify what you are doing and/or throw it on Kijiji, you'll probably get more response there anyways for this type of item.

Done, hoping to get a response from one of them.

Originally posted by C_Dave45
I can't see why it was closed down either. He had something that he wanted to sell. end of story. :dunno:
Seems a little knee-jerk to me. Others are continually selling cars and car parts....no problems there. Why in this situation?

Reason given: I didn't see where there were 30 tables for sale. I only see one.

Exactly. Not sure why I can't sell one table I built.

rage2
01-04-2010, 02:43 AM
Call it a power trip, whatever. You've had a history of drumming up business on here, as recent as a few weeks ago, even after repeated warnings. So you're definately a marked target in the marketplace. I don't care if you make money or not on it, that's not my business. You say it's a hobby here, but here's a recent post from you:

Originally posted by project240
Here's why I am pissed off with this... I'm a woodworker/carpenter, If you hire me to build you something
Thanks for pointing it out by PM'ing me by the way, I'm going to go through all your marketplace threads now and delete everyone of your woodworking projects/products.

That's not the point. We can't give away free advertising to everyone just because it doesn't compete with anyone else. We'd only have a few performance shops as sponsors then. We're very generous when it comes to giving back to the community, so therefore I'm going to be VERY strict when it comes to sponsor revenue. Somebody's gotta pay for our lawyers you know! :D

Hope that makes sense.

project240
01-04-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally posted by rage2
Call it a power trip, whatever. You've had a history of drumming up business on here, as recent as a few weeks ago, even after repeated warnings. So you're definately a marked target in the marketplace.

A history of drumming up business? Are you kidding? I posted one thread showing some of my recent projects and people asked about prices. My fault?? I guess so for replying in the thread and not through pm, however, I only posted that thread to get comments on my work, I had no intention to try garner up sales believe it or not.

Repeated warnings? Where? That total is closer to zero (if not zero) than anything else. I still have at least 1 or 2 pms in my inbox from mods who said there was nothing wrong with posting and I've never had a "warning".

I guess I better not post a TV or car for sale anytime in the near future or it may get closed for the same reasons :dunno:

project240
01-04-2010, 11:12 AM
You say it's a hobby here, but here's a recent post from you:

I'm not even sure what thread that came from, however, of course I call myself a woodworker, doesn't matter if I spend 5 hrs or 50 hrs a week doing it. Again, truth is it is a part time hobby for me, no different than a guy who likes working on cars referring to himself as a weekend mechanic.

Whatever though. It doesn't matter to me, it's not like I actually got any "business" through the site. Just a quick FYI though, if you want to continue to "Nazi Mod", you should at least be sure they are all on the same page. As previously mentioned, I actually pm'd a mod who said there should be no problem with selling a poker table.

rage2
01-04-2010, 11:15 AM
Believe me, you're on the same page now with all the mods.

Kloubek
01-04-2010, 11:34 AM
^ Zing.

Rage: I hear what you're saying. Beyond is my favorite site next to Facebook and Ebay. The fact it is free entertainment makes accepting (what I believe to be) sometimes strict rules worthwhile. And I do indeed understand how lawyers fees (and running costs, etc) eat into your profit. Profit which is intended to be maximized by obtaining the most sponsors possible.... and which will not exist if there is free reign on people advertising themselves. 100% understood, and logical.

With all this said though, the guy is selling one poker table. If this was a regular thing from him, I would totally agree he is running what appears to be a business and using Beyond as an advertising venue. But in my opinion, just because he made the table doesn't mean he is running a business. If that was the case, then similarily you could argue that anyone selling anything on here for a profit was running a one-time business. Or someone who asks for a case of beer in return for helping someone tow a vehicle is a one-time business. Examples such as these happen all the time on here, without anyone blinking an eye.

If he did previously offer to build tables for people for a profit, then I guess I could see how that would have a bearing on how this particular ad was viewed. Pretty grey....

Whatever. I don't know the guy, and I really could care less what the outcome is. But I do think he has a valid point that deserves to be considered. Just my two cents. (I think that is three cents by now, actually...) :)

rage2
01-04-2010, 11:43 AM
With all this said though, the guy is selling one poker table. If this was a regular thing from him, I would totally agree he is running what appears to be a business and using Beyond as an advertising venue. But in my opinion, just because he made the table doesn't mean he is running a business.
http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=2600093#post2600093

He's been sneaking in random threads like this for quite some time now. And his thread on woodworking projects, he's doing the same thing. Hell, the thread title had **xmas gifts** in it to get ppl's attention that his "projects" would make good xmas gifts, then asking ppl to PM him projects and budgets.

We're not idiots here. Nor are we Nazi. We targetted him, his poker table, and his cutting board for good reason.

project240
01-04-2010, 01:01 PM

http://forums.beyond.ca/showthread.php?s=&postid=2600093#post2600093

He's been sneaking in random threads like this for quite some time now.

OMG are you kidding. "Sneaking" into threads where a user posts he needs help having something built and I reply? The damn thread title states he is looking for a woodworker?? I thought that was part of the whole point of a community forum? Why don't you pull up previous threads where I offered to help tow/boost another member of the site (FOR FREE) just because he lived nearby or other times I've offered my help which has nothing to do with wood/carpentry?

Alot of times I post responses because I was trying to be an active member of the forum and trying to help out others on the site, for no reason other than the fact I was trying to be "a good neighbor".

Obviously, that seems to be frowned upon. I'll continue to browse the site because I do enjoy it, maybe I'll just remove the part where I try to help others out????????

BTW, I'd love for you to address your comment earlier regarding numerous warnings? From my count, I had 1 thread closed prior to this, but never a "warning" in any way, shape, or form. :banghead:

rage2
01-04-2010, 01:26 PM
I don't care if someone asks for help and you offer it, make money on it, whatever. A lot of people do that, that's not advertising. It's this part that I have a problem with:

If anybody else needs something similar, feel free to shoot me a pm.
That's advertising. End of discussion.

project240
01-04-2010, 01:43 PM

That's advertising. End of discussion.

That's fine by me. Noted, won't be done again.

BTW, I'd love for you to address your comment earlier regarding numerous warnings? From my count, I had 1 thread closed prior to this, but never a "warning" in any way, shape, or form. :banghead:

spikerS
01-04-2010, 02:24 PM
man, with what i have seen, you seem to know your way around a wood shop, and I seem to remember you offering your services as well from the thread about making cutting boards and all that jazz.

Long story short, you are not being billed to use the site, and it is not yours. If Rage2 and Kenny choose to run their website this way, that is their discression. They also have moderators that they feel will uphold their vision of how this website should be run, but ultimately, it falls on Rage2 and Kenny.

As for repeated warnings, you are user 16930. you have been around way too long not to have seen these rules in place and enforced before, don't plead ignorance, it just does not work in this case.

now having said that, I may be in the same boat as you, and I guess I will ask Rage2 or Kenny to comment about the thread I made awhile back, as some may argue it to be along the same lines as your "demos of my work" thread.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/236098/for-rent-truck-/

If it is against the rules, please let me know.

project240
01-04-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally posted by spikers
man, with what i have seen, you seem to know your way around a wood shop

Thanks, I like to think so.

Long story short, you are not being billed to use the site, and it is not yours. If Rage2 and Kenny choose to run their website this way, that is their discression. They also have moderators that they feel will uphold their vision of how this website should be run, but ultimately, it falls on Rage2 and Kenny.

Agreed, they can run it however they want. Truthfully, I sold 1 table top through beyond several months ago for under $1000, but have spent tons of hours replying to users who have pm'd me wanting something built. Most of the times they were willing to spend $200 on a project where materials cost $250 or something similar.

Therefore, I have no problem " " advertising" " elsewhere as I have generated nothing through the site and wasted my time replying to inquiries.

As for repeated warnings, you are user 16930. you have been around way too long not to have seen these rules in place and enforced before, don't plead ignorance, it just does not work in this case.

I'm not pleading ignorance in the least. There were no warnings whatsoever, let alone repeated warnings. No idea where he came up with that.

now having said that, I may be in the same boat as you, and I guess I will ask Rage2 or Kenny to comment about the thread I made awhile back, as some may argue it to be along the same lines as your "demos of my work" thread.

http://forums.beyond.ca/st/236098/for-rent-truck-/

If it is against the rules, please let me know.

Personally, I have no problem with a guy like you offering your truck as a service, however, it's no different from my thread. You are advertising and in their eyes you are a "business" for that and should look into their sponsorship options should you wish to continue to advertise your truck for rent.

:nut:

max_boost
01-04-2010, 05:55 PM
If the big boss rage2 is on your case, your best bet is to stfu and stay under the radar.

Mys73ri0
01-07-2010, 01:32 AM

gqmw
01-07-2010, 09:38 AM

Personally, I have no problem with a guy like you offering your truck as a service, however, it's no different from my thread. You are advertising and in their eyes you are a "business" for that and should look into their sponsorship options should you wish to continue to advertise your truck for rent.

I feel as though he's almost offering his services for free...I mean for lunch/beer & gas that barely covers the time for probably for the places he has to go to pick up/drop off. I think that's a little different from yours.

project240
01-07-2010, 09:48 AM
Originally posted by gqmw

I feel as though he's almost offering his services for free...I mean for lunch/beer & gas that barely covers the time for probably for the places he has to go to pick up/drop off. I think that's a little different from yours.

Sometimes tough to detect sarcasm online I guess...:dunno:

project240
01-07-2010, 10:03 AM

Well, I was waiting for this to still be addressed, but I think the fact that it has been completely avoided says enough already.

Just want to say thanks to those of you that showed support, C Dave, Kloubek, topmade, etc. I completely do not agree with the thread being closed, however, I do respect the fact that the owner makes the rules and can be as unfair or fair as they choose.

In the future, I'll try to govern myself accordingly. Good day.

gqmw
01-07-2010, 10:06 AM

Sometimes tough to detect sarcasm online I guess...:dunno:

Too early I guess...way too tired to understand:banghead: