PDA

View Full Version : water powered car!!

gear_nut123
01-02-2010, 05:11 PM
it looks pretty cool. never thought i would see the day.

http://www.reuters.com/news/video?videoChannel=74&videoId=84561

Sugarphreak
01-02-2010, 05:21 PM

slinkie
01-02-2010, 05:52 PM
Events and Meets

TomcoPDR
01-02-2010, 06:09 PM
How'd that work in Canada? "My engine FROZE"

syritis
01-02-2010, 06:26 PM
500ml for an hour? thats not to shabby. to bad that bottles water already costs more then gasoline. unless you pull water from the river. but with such expensive equipment i wouldn't put any old water in, ok so i'll distill the river water to make it pure, that would require a stove which is either from natural gas or electric but then does the electricity come from coal or hydro/wind generators?

it's a good step but far from the solutions. don't get me wrong i think global warming is the second biggest scam the world has ever seen. but i'm sure that we won't hear the last of this.

slinkie
01-02-2010, 07:17 PM
pray tell whats the biggest scam?

coat checks at clubs?

torob
01-02-2010, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
pray tell whats the biggest scam?

coat checks at clubs?

religion?

Kloubek
01-02-2010, 09:56 PM
^^^indeed. But keep it on the DL.... you don't want the crusades to happen all over again do you?

I think enough people are dying in the middle east over religion already...

ExtraSlow
01-02-2010, 10:31 PM
Didn't some jerk in the US come out with a car like this a few years ago. turns out he was scamming.

Here's one:
fJ3juM6vHwg

and here's the one I was thinking of:
4ybmDNrd-OI
Well, I guess I have no proof that this Denny Klein guy is scamming, but I'm pretty sure he's another scamerjee. If that really worked, he'd be further along by now.
Anyone want to invest in it?
Hydrogen Technology Applications Inc. (http://hytechapps.com/)

chkolny541
01-03-2010, 04:11 AM
i would clearly catagorize this as an event

soupey
01-03-2010, 09:23 AM
because water is an unlimited resource too.
:banghead:

Pollywog
01-03-2010, 09:46 PM
Originally posted by soupey
because water is an unlimited resource too.
:banghead:
While I understand the point you are trying to make, its dwarfed when presented with the big picture. The fact is that petroleum derived fuels are far more "non-renewable" than water. That aside, have you considered environmental impact? In hydrogen vehicles, rather than smog/carbon/etc. being released into the atmosphere, the only by-product is water (in the form of vapour). Until (if) cold-fusion arrives, or perhaps far more advanced solar and hydro technology, there will never be a "perfect" free energy source. At least hydrogen powered vehicles and perhaps this water-car (if it isnt a flop) is still a step forward in the right direction. Even if this ends up being a failure, it may inspire enough others that eventually water-powered vehicles will become a daily reality.

My $0.02. :dunno:

thetransporter
01-03-2010, 11:21 PM
what about this video guys;

CrxfMz2eDME

UndrgroundRider
01-03-2010, 11:31 PM
I think the average beyond IQ has dropped with this thread.

Sugarphreak
01-03-2010, 11:50 PM

Pollywog
01-03-2010, 11:51 PM
Originally posted by UndrgroundRider
I think the average beyond IQ has dropped with this thread.

Despite me having trouble understanding how they plan to defy thermodynamics with this invention, it would be ignorant to completely deny it any credibility. You should keep in mind the wonderful word "theory" that we use in the science field. The idea is to keep a theory until evidence arises that does not coincide with your original theory, and pending further testing and evaluation your theory may be improved or changed. There are many expired scientific theories that many thought would never be disproved, and its this that is the pure beauty of science and the cause for its non-stop advancement. Nothing in science is assumed to be "100% certain", but rather the "best theory yet".

Flat earth anyone?
Newtonian physics?
Geocentric theory?
Phlogiston theory of fire?

Pollywog
01-03-2010, 11:52 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Yes some day... although first you have to address the problem that it totally defies the laws of physics that you can power a car on only water.

The only way a car would ever be powered by water and still be green is if energy was somehow introduced from other sources such as solar, hydro or wind. In which case it would likely be more efficient to break down the water to generate the hydrogen off-site anyway.

Powering cars with Hydrogen on the other hand would be feasible. The by-product of course is typically water.
Refer to my post above.

Sugarphreak
01-03-2010, 11:54 PM

UndrgroundRider
01-04-2010, 04:07 AM
Originally posted by Pollywog

Despite me having trouble understanding how they plan to defy thermodynamics with this invention, it would be ignorant to completely deny it any credibility.

Nope. It's not ignorant, in fact, it's ignorant the other way around.

Pollywog
01-04-2010, 09:51 AM

Nope. It's not ignorant, in fact, it's ignorant the other way around.

Your evidence is irrefutable. I admit defeat.

http://squathole.files.wordpress.com/2008/10/flat-earth2.jpg

JNeil
01-04-2010, 01:18 PM
Haha Pollywog I lol'd..

I think the real truth is that even if something like this did exist, it would not be released to the public.. EVER. Think about how many jobs rely on the petroleum industry.

You think any politician is going to pass any sort of law that will put those people out of work? Not likely.

Although I have no evidence to back it up, it's hard for me not to assume there is already a "perfectly green" car (or motor of some sort) in existence but we won't hear about it until all of the oil/natural gas deposits in the world run dry.

UndrgroundRider
01-05-2010, 01:44 AM

I really just don't feel like getting into Yet Another Debate about water powered cars. All of those videos are reposts from years back, and the matter has been settled time and time again.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water-fuelled_car

Many alleged water-fuelled cars obtain hydrogen or a mixture of hydrogen and oxygen (sometimes called "oxyhydrogen", "HHO", or "Brown's Gas") by the electrolysis of water, a process that must be powered electrically. The hydrogen or oxyhydrogen is then burned, supposedly powering the car and also providing the energy to electrolyse more water. The overall process can be represented by the following chemical equations:

2H2O → 2H2 + O2 [Electrolysis step]
2H2 + O2 → 2H2O [Combustion step]

Since the combustion step is the exact reverse of the electrolysis step, the energy released in combustion exactly equals the energy consumed in the electrolysis step, and—even assuming 100% efficiency—there would be no energy left over to power the car. In other words, such systems start and end in the same thermodynamic state, and are therefore perpetual motion machines, violating the first law of thermodynamics. And under actual conditions in which hydrogen is burned, efficiency is limited by the second law of thermodynamics and is likely to be around 20%.[9][10] More energy is therefore required to drive the electrolysis cell than can be extracted from burning the resulting hydrogen-oxygen mixture.

Pollywog
01-05-2010, 02:33 AM
I really just don't feel like getting into Yet Another Debate about water powered cars.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Water-fuelled_car

UndrgroundRider
01-05-2010, 04:52 AM

Like I said, you're the one being ignorant.

Pollywog
01-05-2010, 09:41 AM

Like I said, you're the one being ignorant.

Yes, how dare I have an open mind to scientific advancement...

God only knows what our world might be like had our medical field shared the same "believe nothing new" attitude you've somehow adopted.

:facepalm:

UndrgroundRider
01-06-2010, 02:11 AM

Yes, how dare I have an open mind to scientific advancement...

God only knows what our world might be like had our medical field shared the same "believe nothing new" attitude you've somehow adopted.

:facepalm:

Hahaha.
:facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm: :facepalm:

Thanks for the laugh.

This isn't the middle ages, this is a post-scientific revolution society. Nobody is resistant to new scientific theories if they are backed by sound logic, and empirical evidence. No water-powered car claim has ever provided a shred of evidence to deliberate on. The claim is always, "we can do it, but we can't tell you how" and then they're never heard from again. Many inventors who made these extravogant claims and failed to back them up have been prosecuted for fraud (and found guilty). Such is the case with Stan Meyer's water fuel cell.

What you call being an open mind to scientific advancement, is in reality, becoming the next fool to buy snake oil. Certainly it is not wrong to question established scientific knowledge, but it is a fools errand to do so without any evidence, or proof. Until someone offers me a damn good explanation, as to why the first and second laws of thermodynamics are invalid, I refuse to consider the possibility of a motor powered strictly by water.

Since you so ignorantly refused to read the link I posted, here is the text for your enlightenment:

In June 2008, Japanese company Genepax unveiled a car which it claims runs on only water and air,[22] and many news outlets dubbed the vehicle a "water-fuel car".[23] The company says it "cannot [reveal] the core part of this invention,” yet,[24] but it has disclosed that the system uses an onboard energy generator (a "membrane electrode assembly") to extract the hydrogen using a "mechanism which is similar to the method in which hydrogen is produced by a reaction of metal hydride and water".[25] The hydrogen is then used to generate energy to run the car. This has led to speculation that the metal hydride is consumed in the process and is the ultimate source of the car's energy, making the car a hydride-fuelled "hydrogen on demand" vehicle, rather than water-fuelled as claimed.[26][27][28] On the company's website the energy source is explained only with the words "Chemical reaction"[29]. The science and technology magazine Popular Mechanics has described Genepax's claims as "Rubbish."[30]

If a car really did exist, that disproves the first and second law of thermodynamics it would be a scientific breakthrough not seen since the time of Newton. But they can't tell us. Bullshit. Give me evidence or get out.