PDA

View Full Version : Why are preludes so overpriced...

slinkie
01-02-2010, 06:23 PM
Cancelled for being a redundant product...Honda was cannibalizing sales by running so many similar cars.

why are people charging so much for a glorified civic.

Graham_A_M
01-02-2010, 06:49 PM
Yeah they cancelled it because they also offered the Accord as a coupe. So yes it absolutely was a reduntant product.
They hold their value since its almost a favorite among high school kids/the typical (average) beyonder demographic. I agree they certainly are overpriced for what they are. I wouldn't mind rocking one if they weren't so frickin expensive, but for how much an SH is? forget it.

vengie
01-02-2010, 06:52 PM
Because people are still willing to pay for them.

slinkie
01-02-2010, 06:53 PM
yeah don't get me wrong they are cool...but...LOL at people paying so much for them

Kloubek
01-02-2010, 06:56 PM
I don't know... I'm seeing them cheaper now. 97+'s for 5 grand or so. You don't get a civic for much less...

Overpayment. It's the Honda way.

Sentry
01-02-2010, 06:58 PM
I wouldn't call it a glorified Civic... There's not much in common between the two other than they share a badge and both have 4 cylinders. Now an Integra, there's a glorified Civic.

And yeah they are way overpriced for what they are. They sure do look nice when they're clean though.

Jlude
01-02-2010, 07:02 PM
How are they overpriced now?

You can find a very nice 01 Prelude for 9-12k and it obviously varies with the condition of the vehicle.

I've owned many preludes and love them, even to this day.

I think they're very cheap now, but tough to find a good one these days.

Sentry
01-02-2010, 07:05 PM
Originally posted by Jlude
9-12k
Too much for a 9 year old Honda.

Especially since that's bordering on what you could get an S2000 for.

slinkie
01-02-2010, 07:08 PM
yeah, no way a bb6 is anywhere near 5 grand. i found one maxed out on autotrader for ~7k?

what does the h22 offer that the b series dont?

it's a bit heavier? less peaky redline?

:dunno:

Sentry
01-02-2010, 07:10 PM
Originally posted by Sentry

http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2000-Honda-S2000-AP1-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ169182228
http://calgary.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-cars-2001-Honda-S2000-Convertible-W0QQAdIdZ163778492

slinkie
01-02-2010, 07:14 PM
new thread...why are s2000s so underpriced...

:eek:

Sentry
01-02-2010, 07:15 PM
Well that red one was wrecked and repaired so... :rofl:

Black one is decent though.

chowdog
01-02-2010, 07:17 PM
Cars are only worth as much as someone is willing to pay for them. Preludes seem to be desirable so their price reflects that.

benz_890
01-02-2010, 07:18 PM
My brother was looking to get into a Prelude but he couldn't find one in his price range, so he ended up buying a 98 Accord coupe. I can't say he didn't get a good deal on it and I would say it looks better then a Prelude.

slinkie
01-02-2010, 07:19 PM
@ chowdog ^thanks tips...maybe i should reword my question, what do preludes offer that their sister models do not?

why are preludes percieved to be worth more than similar models?

sexy long nose?
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_qgDh0CvuSMg/SfscKxk_syI/AAAAAAAABiY/hbl8xWL5aGQ/s400/proboscis+monkey+2.jpg

blade rimzzz?

Sentry
01-02-2010, 07:19 PM
Oh yeah if someone can sell their Prelude for 10+ grand, good on them. Just won't catch me paying that much for one. :P

chowdog
01-02-2010, 07:21 PM
Originally posted by slinkie
maybe i should reword my question, what do preludes offer that their sister models do not?

Yep. You should carefully think about what you want to post... before you do!

slinkie
01-02-2010, 07:24 PM
whereas you continue to post non-constructive drivel instead of providing your input on the question i am asking

chowdog
01-02-2010, 07:25 PM
^ Poor guy.

slinkie
01-02-2010, 07:28 PM
check it out bro
step 1 read thread
step 2 'wow, i have nothing to say'
step 3 hit back button, as highlighted in exhibit a
http://img11.imageshack.us/img11/7634/23730962.png

chowdog
01-02-2010, 07:30 PM
"Rape High School Babez"

"Small Dick"

Freak.

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w52/gsr_ryan/23730962.png

slinkie
01-02-2010, 07:33 PM
oh

those are my facebook and beyond bookmarks, respectively http://forums.clubrsx.com/images/smilies/shady.gif

ps i love how you repost it cause you think i'm gonna be super embarassed and delete my post LOL

gotta make yourself laugh once in a while

swak
01-02-2010, 07:40 PM
Ahahahahaha... love it slinkie!

Jlude
01-02-2010, 07:50 PM
I love the look of 5th gen ludes.

Rims and a drop on with full lip kit = :drool:

Some people won't like it, but I loved it. I liked it more than my 08 S2000 CR

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/n660385332_1589706_9522.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/Image013.jpg

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s152/JME1984/010.jpg

slinkie
01-02-2010, 07:54 PM
yea...so crisp

89s1
01-02-2010, 08:15 PM
@ chowdog ^thanks tips...maybe i should reword my question, what do preludes offer that their sister models do not?

why are preludes percieved to be worth more than similar models?

sexy long nose?

blade rimzzz?

They are the only Honda with the original "big block"

The h22 is a good motor, vtec pulls hard, and it motivates the car pretty well. The reason for the long nose is the big(in comparison) motor.

Prelude vs Integra GSR
2.2L vs. 1.8L
197hp vs. 170hp
156ft/lb vs. 128ft/lbs

But they both come with blade rimzzz ;)

bignerd
01-02-2010, 08:45 PM
You don't like preludes :whocares:

slinkie
01-02-2010, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by bignerd
You don't like preludes :whocares:

what's with kids not reading threads.

why would i even bother looking at their prices if i wasn't interested in them?

Originally posted by 89s1

They are the only Honda with the original "big block"

The h22 is a good motor, vtec pulls hard, and it motivates the car pretty well. The reason for the long nose is the big(in comparison) motor.

Prelude vs Integra GSR
2.2L vs. 1.8L
197hp vs. 170hp
156ft/lb vs. 128ft/lbs

But they both come with blade rimzzz ;)

thanks! but prelude bladez are the real deal :D

msommers
01-03-2010, 12:51 AM
You think Preludes are overpriced?! Looks at S13 and S14, ridiculous!

Primer_Drift
01-03-2010, 01:41 AM
lol @ glorified civic comment..

The Prelude was Honda's sport coupe from 1978 until 2000 when the S2000 was released. There's no comparison in my mind between the Civic and Prelude.. I've owned every model Prelude except the first gen, and I can say without a doubt the Prelude has ALWAYS been much more refined than any Civic.

slinkie
01-03-2010, 01:49 AM
Originally posted by msommers
You think Preludes are overpriced?! Looks at S13 and S14, ridiculous!

woah...not gonna get into this, too many fanboys

G-ZUS
01-03-2010, 01:54 AM
Originally posted by Primer_Drift
lol @ glorified civic comment..

The Prelude was Honda's sport coupe from 1978 until 2000 when the S2000 was released. There's no comparison in my mind between the Civic and Prelude.. I've owned every model Prelude except the first gen, and I can say without a doubt the Prelude has ALWAYS been much more refined than any Civic.

I loved my 91 SE with 4ws, I have owned 95, 96, 97, 99, 2000 and 01 Civics and they all sucked balls compared to the 91 lude

bignerd
01-03-2010, 02:26 AM

what's with kids not reading threads.

why would i even bother looking at their prices if i wasn't interested in them?

Well I am not of much help then as I am selling mine for 13K also.

streethondas
01-03-2010, 02:35 AM
ahhaaha this thread = :rofl:

i only love the 4th gen prelude, and you can find them for a decent price 3-7k

TorqueDog
01-03-2010, 02:43 AM
I actually really liked the last model of Prelude before they were discontinued. For something as a basic daily driver, not a bad looking car, and you could get it with a leather interior and a manual gearbox.

narou
01-03-2010, 04:03 AM
My 4 Gen had all that but it was only an SR and rusted to shit :(!

pyhngo
01-04-2010, 05:08 PM
I agree preludes are overpriced, but I disagree the "glorified Civic" comment. I owned a civic, accord, prelude and now a S2000. Every car is built better than the other, and they all built for different market groups. However, don't you see people are willing to pay more to find any of these Hondas in good shape? To be fair to all Honda owners. If you still think prelude is a "glorified Civic". Then my S2000 is just a "glorified Fit":) What should the NSX be??

Sentry
01-04-2010, 05:29 PM
Glorified Beat. :D

core_upt
01-05-2010, 11:27 AM
they are not a 'glorified civic' and aside from a H badge, share almost nothign in common. The interiors are way nicer - 4th gen SR-V has one of the nicest gauge clusters and AMAZING leather seats.

They are not 'overpriced', they hold their value, and for all the reasons listed above.

S2000s are only cheap once they are written off, rebuilds or have been bagged to shit.

Dumbass17
01-05-2010, 01:27 PM

97-01 prelude > s2000

s2000s = gay

simple math

i had a nice 98 prelude, i think a member on here bought it, anyways, i had it lowered, intake, exhaust, cf hood, rims etc and i LOVED that car
very comfy ride and it always looked good!
i miss it still and i sold it like 5 years ago haha

beyond_ban
01-05-2010, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

97-01 prelude > s2000

s2000s = gay

simple math

i had a nice 98 prelude, i think a member on here bought it, anyways, i had it lowered, intake, exhaust, cf hood, rims etc and i LOVED that car

dumbass < smart people

S2000 > Prelude

I think its safe to say only a fan boy would disagree.

Seriously, who wants a heavy, under powered FWD car such as the prelude? If i buy a FWD Honda, it is an Integra. Why dish the extra bills for a Prelude when you can put it into making your teggy that much better? Not only is the Integra easier on the eyes, it is also lighter and responds a lot better to mods. This being said, the Prelude is not even in the same league as the S2K. Sure, it is a 2 seat roadster which can be viewed as "gay" (mainly by dumbass'), but the raw driving excitement is where its at. It is slow until it hits vtec, and then only slightly faster, but take it into some twisties and make sure you brought some fresh under wear. Plus, if the soft top isn't your thing, throw a Mugen style cf hard top. Sex in CF form. Please, govern yourself accordingly, fan boy.

911fever
01-05-2010, 04:24 PM
Originally posted by Dumbass17

97-01 prelude &gt; s2000

s2000s = gay

simple math

yeah Kyle, I had your Lude, I sold it though and got an 01. I personally loved my Lude, but the ridiculous lack of torque drove me nuts after a while. I loved how mine looked and drove, and I do miss it slightly.
my 01 SE:
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/TNation98/Prelude/n674170415_3624098_43.jpg
Interior's not bad
http://i168.photobucket.com/albums/u177/TNation98/Prelude/08.jpg

I also had an AP1 S2000 as a demo for about a month and I enjoyed that a lot too. Handled similarily actually to the Lude. Prelude's here in Toronto (5th gen) go for $4k to $9k (if it has like less than 50k kilometers). They are dirt cheap, but they rust easy and about 60% have replaced motors cause the 2.2L engine in the Lude burns oil quickly and if you don't maintain it, will fail.

Jlude
01-05-2010, 04:48 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban

dumbass &lt; smart people

S2000 &gt; Prelude

I think its safe to say only a fan boy would disagree.

Seriously, who wants a heavy, under powered FWD car such as the prelude? If i buy a FWD Honda, it is an Integra. Why dish the extra bills for a Prelude when you can put it into making your teggy that much better? Not only is the Integra easier on the eyes, it is also lighter and responds a lot better to mods. This being said, the Prelude is not even in the same league as the S2K. Sure, it is a 2 seat roadster which can be viewed as &quot;gay&quot; (mainly by dumbass'), but the raw driving excitement is where its at. It is slow until it hits vtec, and then only slightly faster, but take it into some twisties and make sure you brought some fresh under wear. Plus, if the soft top isn't your thing, throw a Mugen style cf hard top. Sex in CF form. Please, govern yourself accordingly, fan boy.

Simmer down big rig... Sounds like you've got a little fan boy in you too.

And that's not very realistic... "If you don't like the soft top, throw a 6k Mugen CF hardtop on their" Ya, people are gonna buy the most expensive hardtop made for the S2K instead of the OEM one.

beyond_ban
01-05-2010, 04:58 PM

Simmer down big rig... Sounds like you've got a little fan boy in you too.

And that's not very realistic... &quot;If you don't like the soft top, throw a 6k Mugen CF hardtop on there&quot; Ya, people are gonna buy the most expensive hardtop made for the S2K instead of the OEM one.

Fixed.

Well, throw the Mugen Replica on, or the OEM. Either/or, your car goes from "girl-ish" roadster to track machine.

Jlude
01-05-2010, 05:20 PM

Fixed.

Well, throw the Mugen Replica on, or the OEM. Either/or, your car goes from &quot;girl-ish&quot; roadster to track machine.

Thanks for the english lesson, teach. :rofl: :rofl:

Have you ever owned any of the cars we're talking about?

beyond_ban
01-05-2010, 05:25 PM

Thanks for the english lesson, teach. :rofl: :rofl:

Have you ever owned any of the cars we're talking about?

I owned an Integra, and enjoyed it. Never thought about buying a Prelude, as i am not a fan of the styling, or the drive for that matter. The S2000 is my next car, once i save enough to supplement it with a decent winter beater.

I have driven all three, and not just for a cruise around the block, so i know how each one generally feels. I love the S2K, and would especially love a black on black CR.

Didn't you own a blue CR?

Jlude
01-05-2010, 05:42 PM

I owned an Integra, and enjoyed it. Never thought about buying a Prelude, as i am not a fan of the styling, or the drive for that matter. The S2000 is my next car, once i save enough to supplement it with a decent winter beater.

I have driven all three, and not just for a cruise around the block, so i know how each one generally feels. I love the S2K, and would especially love a black on black CR.

Didn't you own a blue CR?

I did.

Banned9x
01-05-2010, 08:10 PM
Your all retarded, buy a honda NSX:guns:

BigShow
01-05-2010, 08:15 PM

I did.

Haven't seen too many of those in Calgary, actually I've only seen 1 CR.

"beyond_ban97-01 prelude > s2000

s2000s = gay

simple math"

I don't get the math... what makes it a gay car? Have you driven one in the summer with the top down, you can't compare it to a prelude...

Banned9x
01-05-2010, 08:19 PM
NSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSXNSX NSX NSX NSX NSX NSX

Neil4Speed
01-05-2010, 08:27 PM
Originally posted by Banned9x

Umm, I am pretty sure everyone in here would take a NSX over the others, but the NSX is kind of an expensive car.

I always loved the Fifth Gen Preludes, the look and lines were just gorgeous. A good friend had a Nighthawk Black on Black Leather SH with Gold Racing Harts and it just looked stunning lowered. Once I got the oppotunity to test drive one, and it was kind of like meeting your favorite celebrity. This was back when I had my 6-Speed Legend Coupe, and while the prelude was a newer car with half the mileage it didn't pull nearly as well, and felt inferior quality wise in comparison not to mention short on torque.

Don't get me wrong, I would still like to own one, Pearl White SH, lowered slightly with Red or Black Leather, and polished blades as a 'fun' car and to look at.,

Jlude
01-05-2010, 09:28 PM
Originally posted by BigShow

Haven't seen too many of those in Calgary, actually I've only seen 1 CR.

&quot;beyond_ban97-01 prelude &gt; s2000

s2000s = gay

simple math&quot;

I don't get the math... what makes it a gay car? Have you driven one in the summer with the top down, you can't compare it to a prelude...

Mine was the blue CR in Calgary and I believe there was an older guy with a Yellow one in the NW somewhere.

sabad66
01-05-2010, 09:47 PM

C4S
01-05-2010, 09:53 PM
:dunno:

You mean old Prelude? they are nice car, dont think they are overpriced, but their asking price is crazy!

Still saw many 10 yr + old Prelude ask for $7-10K .. but it dosn't matter, most people paid $4-6K at the end of the day.

Can't compare Prelude and S2000, Prelude is not a bad car, but not even close to S2000 .. unless you need the rear space for CHILD SEAT ...

KandabashiDevil
01-05-2010, 10:24 PM
Originally posted by Kloubek
Overpayment. It's the Honda way.

Right ... Tell us all exactly how economical your FD RX7 happens to be! :rofl:

rc2002
01-06-2010, 12:27 AM
Cancelled for being a redundant product...Honda was cannibalizing sales by running so many similar cars.

why are people charging so much for a glorified civic.

Sounds to me like this thread is the result of you being unable to pick up a Prelude for the price of a Civic.

As mentioned previously, Civics and Integras are comparable, but Preludes are in a completely different league. The differences may be subtle to an undiscerning buyer but the Prelude has a much quieter, more vibration free ride. Power delivery and braking are much more refined - Initial bite when braking isn't as harsh, and power delivery is much smoother.

The interior employs nicer materials and has a better sound system. Even the layout is better - there are actually comfortable places to put your elbows, and the controls are easier to reach. Standard options are way better, and some options like heated seats and heated power mirrors weren't even available on Civics. Styling is subjective, but I think it can be safely said that the lines on the Prelude are more sleek than those on a Civic.

If I'm not doing engine mods, I prefer the H22 to any B-series motor (or D-series for that matter). I've found it to be the best daily driving 4 cylinder Honda. I don't think the H-series gets enough recognition from the enthusiast crowd to be honest. Balance shaft belts and FRM sleeves (which are also found in the F20C and J32) make for a more advanced and smoother engine.

Lastly, comparing an S2K to a Prelude is just pointless. They are designed for two completely different purposes. Of course the S2K is going to perform better. But it makes for a pretty crappy daily driver. Driving an S2K more than a couple times a week becomes a chore very quickly.

In short, I think a clean used prelude is worth every penny. In my opinion you'd be hard pressed to find a better reliable daily driver.

gqmw
01-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Originally posted by Graham_A_M
Yeah they cancelled it because they also offered the Accord as a coupe. So yes it absolutely was a reduntant product.
They hold their value since its almost a favorite among high school kids/the typical (average) beyonder demographic. I agree they certainly are overpriced for what they are. I wouldn't mind rocking one if they weren't so frickin expensive, but for how much an SH is? forget it.

Exactly. Imo its a pretty decent looking car but that demographic really seems to like the car and that = optimistic selling prices. I definitely don't think its worth it at the price range its at now.

FiveFreshFish
01-06-2010, 12:54 AM
91 was the best year IMO.

SpeedIllusion
01-06-2010, 01:51 AM
Accord > Prelude

89s1
01-06-2010, 01:56 AM
Originally posted by SpeedIllusion
Accord &gt; Prelude

Going to give reasons for this statement or are you just the next troll?

nonlinear
01-06-2010, 11:45 AM
moral of the story: don't buy a honda.

although they have historically been very reliable and still garner positive reviews from critics, they are way overpriced and therefore are a poor value. (not to mention the new models are ugly, and still "cheap" in terms of construction). the only reason they are priced so high is that they have an established reputation among consumers of being a good car. fact is, there are many, many cars today, domestic and import, that are just as reliable but provide more/better features for a lower price. IMO, if you're considering a Honda, you'll get much better value if you buy a Hyundai.

msommers
01-06-2010, 11:52 AM
With Honda, there are expectations that owners have that are quite often met. Hyundai is still up "in the air" with respect to long-term reliability, IMO. That alone is why Honda is able to charge more and I think with good reason.

It's indicative of any business, you establish yourself as selling a quality product that is consistent and people will pay more for it. It only makes sense.

rc2002
01-06-2010, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by nonlinear

although they have historically been very reliable and still garner positive reviews from critics, they are way overpriced and therefore are a poor value. (not to mention the new models are ugly, and still &quot;cheap&quot; in terms of construction). the only reason they are priced so high is that they have an established reputation among consumers of being a good car. fact is, there are many, many cars today, domestic and import, that are just as reliable but provide more/better features for a lower price. IMO, if you're considering a Honda, you'll get much better value if you buy a Hyundai.

I agree with this statement for Hondas newer than 2001. Mid to late 90's Hondas are solid.

Part of the reason is the North American assembly of many Honda models. The ones assembled in Japan seem to have a lot higher build quality.

QuasarCav
01-06-2010, 11:56 AM
If anyone knows of a decent 97-01 please let me know. I was looking for one this summer and I couldn't find one that was a good price and unmodified. I did pickup a 99 SiR and while it is a fine DD I wouldn't mind a better interior and some refinement.

Dumbass17
01-06-2010, 01:14 PM
Originally posted by Banned9x
you're* :banghead:

max_boost
01-06-2010, 01:24 PM
Certain cars just retain their value. Just because it's a certain age doesn't mean it should be priced at a certain amount. It's what someone is willing to pay. Yeah, they are kind of over priced lol

Sugarphreak
01-06-2010, 02:33 PM

Abeo
01-06-2010, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by Sugarphreak

Any easy example using my own Honda that is 2 years old and has just over 40K on it now; total cost of ownership is 5 oil changes and a set of winter tires... classic Honda reliability. I havn't even replaced the battery on the key Fob yet.

I sure hope that ANY 2 year old vehicle with less than 40k on it hasn't broken down in its life. How long until it starts the 'classic honda oil burning'?

I like hondas, I've owned 2. But I hate the mythical stories of 'reliability' that they get from the fan bois... they are no better than most cars out there right now.

nonlinear
01-06-2010, 03:05 PM

I would disagree with your conclusion of poor value; poor value means that you spend too much and get little in return. Part of the value of Honda is reliability... perhaps you may not mind being stranded on the side of the road every so often, but others may. Another part of value is the re-sale which more tangable, being that Honda's typically have very strong resale this actually makes them a much better value than other cars.

Any easy example using my own Honda that is 2 years old and has just over 40K on it now; total cost of ownership is 5 oil changes and a set of winter tires... classic Honda reliability. I havn't even replaced the battery on the key Fob yet.

Looking on Canadatrader the asking price for a similar car? About 17K for the cheapest one I could find... considering the MSRP was 19,480K that isn't too shabby.

On the other hand, comapare some competitor cars of the same year... all comparisons made with 5-speeds w/ about 40K or less on them. (MSRP prices are from CanadianDriver.com)

Honda Fit Sport = $19,480 MSRP
Online Sale Price: 17,000$
($2480 less)

Toyota Yaris RS = $17,040 MSRP
Online Sale Price: 11,880$
($5160 less)

Nissan Versa SL = $17, 098 MSRP
Online Sale Price: $12,995
($4103 less)

Suzuki Swift S = $15,995 MSRP
Cheapest Online Sale Price: $6999
($8996 less)

You would have to be blind to think you were getting more value out of something that loses it's value faster. The other things to consider is that at the time the Fit was the only one of these vehicles to offer curtain air bags... some people might value safety too.

Morale of the story; you often have to look beyong the price tag for the real value.

i've never broken down on the side of the road, and I used to drive some pretty 'crappy' cars, e.g. hyundai excel, k-cars, j-bodys, etc.

nonlinear
01-06-2010, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

I sure hope that ANY 2 year old vehicle with less than 40k on it hasn't broken down in its life. How long until it starts the 'classic honda oil burning'?

I like hondas, I've owned 2. But I hate the mythical stories of 'reliability' that they get from the fan bois... they are no better than most cars out there right not.

this.

5hift
01-06-2010, 03:07 PM

although they have historically been very reliable and still garner positive reviews from critics, they are way overpriced and therefore are a poor value. (not to mention the new models are ugly, and still &quot;cheap&quot; in terms of construction). the only reason they are priced so high is that they have an established reputation among consumers of being a good car. fact is, there are many, many cars today, domestic and import, that are just as reliable but provide more/better features for a lower price. IMO, if you're considering a Honda, you'll get much better value if you buy a Hyundai.

Dude you drive a Chevy Malibu Maxx

Might want to save the threads about why civics suck and how Honda is poor value until you have had that car for a few years and try to sell it.

Sugarphreak
01-06-2010, 03:13 PM

Abeo
01-06-2010, 03:19 PM

Not a Honda specific fanboy... just point out the facts

My parents actually have a Dodge SX 2.0 with about 50K on it... total nightmare for maintenance and parts breaking.

Between my parents and my sisters and I, we have had 5 new cars in the past 3 years (2 toyotas, 2 nissans, and a ford). Not one needed anything in the first 50k, and not one has ever broken down. I'm sorry that your parents have had troubles, but that doesn't mean that every car that isn't a honda has problems or poor resale.

nonlinear
01-06-2010, 03:20 PM
^^yea, i was just reading a report about a month ago (j.d. power, or something) that listed chrysler as the worst automaker, in terms of reliability.

but i'm not saying chrysler > honda, just that there are many, many options aside from honda that are just as reliable, and offer more features for the money. hyundai is probably the best comparison (both asian import econoboxes - although that's changing, for Hyundai at least).

Sentry
01-06-2010, 04:49 PM
Oh look it's nonlinear's Honda thread, version two. :rolleyes:

nonlinear
01-06-2010, 04:57 PM
http://www.dlawn.com/images/honda_lawnmower.gif

:poosie:

Kartelli
01-06-2010, 05:05 PM
I've had 2 5th gens, a 97 and 00. The 97 was a piece of garbage, but the 00 was just shy of perfection!

I still miss her to this day, great everyday driver.

bignerd
01-06-2010, 08:06 PM
Originally posted by Abeo

I like hondas, I've owned 2. But I hate the mythical stories of 'reliability' that they get from the fan bois... they are no better than most cars out there right now.

Owned (own) 4 Hondas (including a Prelude), a 91, 2000, 2001 and 2008 as well as three Honda motorcycles. NONE have ever burned oil. I still own the 2000, 2001, and 2008. Almost bought the Integra GSR but went with the Prelude as I liked the look better. The '91 Civic was the most fun, just a winter beater but always started, went everywhere, could leave that car sitting all year and it would start right up. Everything still worked in it too, mind you it only had 330,000 kms. The 2000 Civic is doing great too, going on ten years with minimal minimal issues.

I always hate these threads, so what if you think they are overpriced, unless you are buying one used what's it to you? If you think they cost too much and are not a good value then you don't have to buy one. Do we really need a whole thread devoted to this?

G-ZUS
01-06-2010, 08:30 PM
Originally posted by bignerd

Owned (own) 4 Hondas (including a Prelude), a 91, 2000, 2001 and 2008 as well as three Honda motorcycles. NONE have ever burned oil. I still own the 2000, 2001, and 2008. Almost bought the Integra GSR but went with the Prelude as I liked the look better. The '91 Civic was the most fun, just a winter beater but always started, went everywhere, could leave that car sitting all year and it would start right up. Everything still worked in it too, mind you it only had 330,000 kms. The 2000 Civic is doing great too, going on ten years with minimal minimal issues.

I always hate these threads, so what if you think they are overpriced, unless you are buying one used what's it to you? If you think they cost too much and are not a good value then you don't have to buy one. Do we really need a whole thread devoted to this?

How many km were on that 91 prelude? S (b20a5) or Sr (b21a1)?

cjay^
01-06-2010, 08:31 PM
My integra burned a shit ton of 5W30. To the pont where the oil light would come on frequently after 2000km. 10W30 helps but its still there.

I have a hard time believing your 1991 civic didn't burn any oil with 330,000kms. Unless it was automatic and driven by an 80 year old.

Deetz
01-06-2010, 08:41 PM
Originally posted by cjay^

I have a hard time believing your 1991 civic didn't burn any oil with 330,000kms. Unless it was automatic and driven by an 80 year old.

It's not that hard to believe, each engine has different life history for things like oil changes, type of oil, how often used, highway/city driving, how hard the engine is driven, ect

I've had integra's with over 350,000 km's that "don't" consume oil any more than normal

the old civic Si D16A6 was one of the best d series engines Honda ever made, much better than the 96+ generations

Sentry
01-06-2010, 09:38 PM
My D16Z6 had 350,000 km on it a year ago, didn't burn any oil, compression was good, I put a turbo kit on it. 1 year and 15,000 km later at 13 lbs of boost it still doesn't burn a drop and compression hasn't changed.

Honda can build a proper engine, if you can't at least recognize this you're blinded by idiocy or fanboyism for another brand.

bignerd
01-06-2010, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by G-ZUS

How many km were on that 91 prelude? S (b20a5) or Sr (b21a1)?

Prelude is a 2001, the '91 was a Civic hatch (probably a DX-cheap model). And it was stick and not driven by an 80 year old women, but reasonably well maintained (the body was in bad condition but maintenance to the engine was always done).

nonlinear
01-06-2010, 10:28 PM
hatch FTW

nonlinear
01-06-2010, 10:36 PM
http://www.autobytel.com/images/carcom/2006/Chevrolet/06_Chevrolet_Malibu_Maxx_SS/400/06_Chv_MlbuMx_SS_exrrpass34.jpg

>>>>>>>>>>>civic hatch.

Dope7
01-06-2010, 11:30 PM
because it's got a H22...duh honda fanboys wet dream.:poosie:

and i agree way to overpriced.

but you can't beat the Reliability of Honda. and Vtec is sweet. :poosie:

Sentry
01-06-2010, 11:34 PM
http://www.autobytel.com/images/carcom/2006/Chevrolet/06_Chevrolet_Malibu_Maxx_SS/400/06_Chv_MlbuMx_SS_exrrpass34.jpg

&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;civic hatch.
There was no Civic hatch in 06.

nonlinear
01-07-2010, 12:26 AM
^^true that, but this is 2010. just sayin'.

Deetz
01-07-2010, 12:51 AM

There was no Civic hatch in 06.

Depends on where you are talking, the rest of the world got a hatch during that year!

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/d/dd/Honda_Civic_Type-R_2006.jpg

Sentry
01-07-2010, 01:51 AM
I am talking about North America of course.

89s1
01-07-2010, 02:25 AM

Your logic is flawed.

Some guy goes out and buys a Honda, and "overpay" then a few years later he sells it and the next guy "overpays" too. Sounds to me like its just a reliable vehicle that simply holds it value well. Imagine that.

MM99lude
01-07-2010, 01:43 PM
Someone buy my prelude... I'm flexible on price with my civi...lude...