PDA

View Full Version : "talk price"

hingkit
08-27-2002, 04:22 PM
On a typical car 30k MSRP , lets say Honda CRV, how much is reasonable after "talking price" . . . or haggling . ..

trendkill
08-27-2002, 04:33 PM
u wont get far.

MB@SAIT
08-27-2002, 04:39 PM
Most dealers are moving towards the one price policy, Toyota calls it "Access Toyota"

Drive away pricing, no haggling etc.

And like trendkill said, you won't get far, the better price you get, the less the salesguy makes.

Davan
08-27-2002, 04:41 PM
It's always worth a try though... I managed to get about 1500 off my sticker price.

But your best bet is to just put more money down, up front... that will lessen the monthly payments more than having a lower sticker price.

egmike
08-27-2002, 05:40 PM
A friend of mine bought a Z71 Silverado and got 5000 off of sticker
price of 43 G's . prolly the more expensive the vehicle the the more markup.

Stratus_Power
08-27-2002, 05:45 PM
only got 500 off on the stratus ;( but the car itself is pretty cheap... so

Ben
08-27-2002, 06:03 PM
yeah...car dealerships sure are not charities...it sure pisses me off when I hear of people beating up dealerships over 50-100 bucks...and then they end up financing it over 5 years!

Expect a deal, but dont expect getting it for cost...keep in mind you will get really great service in the future if the dealership enjoys your business, and if you nickle and dime them to death, they will be less likely to help you out to the best of you ability...I mean think about it...service is incorperates in the price of the vehicle...if you beat them up so that they make next to jack on it...they are likely going to do the minimum so that they dont end up paying you to drive thier car...

If you cant afford the car...dont make it the dealerships fault youcant, plain and simple.

HRD2PLZ
08-27-2002, 06:35 PM
We paid full price for the MDX. When there is a 3 month wait, you don't get a deal. I only got $800 off the Accord, and it was used.

But when I bought my EL, I got $1500 off without really haggling (it was at the end of September) and the rear spoiler ($700) was added to the trade in value of my 4Runner...

It also depends on the cars too, dealerships make more on certain vehicles...

E36M3
08-27-2002, 06:37 PM
Step 1:

Find out the Invoice Price. This is much more important than the MSRP or the 'Asking Price'.

Step 2:

Negotiate up from the invoice price. Make a fair offer, and it will be accepted. What is fair depends on the demand for the vehicle. If you are also financing the vehicle at the dealership, this number can be very low, as dealers also make money from the financing.

Dealerships are not as interested in their margins on new vehicles as they once were. They make very little on the sale of a new car, and instead make the majority of their money servicing cars.

If you are not a tire kicker, and walk in, documentation in hand, knowing what you want, and willing and able to buy a vehicle, they will treat you very well. I bought my last car at $250 over invoice, and I think it was a very fair deal (not sure how much better I could expect to do).

If you put in a purchase request on a dealerships website, oftentimes the requset will go to the 'fleet manager' who will give you a no-nonsense price that is seldom negotiable.

hingkit
08-27-2002, 06:46 PM
Where would be good places to find invoice price for the canadian market. Any Website in particular??

Unfortunatly there is no difference in price if it was to be paid in full with cash??

And yes, I would have to agree with most ppl, there is a limit to haggling. The car shoudl be purchased for a good deal, not at cost!!

HRD2PLZ
08-27-2002, 06:53 PM
Originally posted by hingkit

Unfortunatly there is no difference in price if it was to be paid in full with cash??

Not usually. We paid cash...well actually certified personal cheque...for the MDX. Not a penny off.

Even when you finance the dealership gets their money, because you finance through a financial institution, not the dealership. Dealerships just arrange the financing for you.

James
08-27-2002, 07:25 PM
Originally posted by HRD2PLZ

Not usually. We paid cash...well actually certified personal cheque...for the MDX. Not a penny off.

Yeah but were not all high-rollers like your Dad!:p some people need to try an haggle the price as much as they can!

E36M3
08-27-2002, 07:38 PM
Dealerships prefer that you finance with them. They either get a fee for each financing app that is approved, or take points on the loan (or both). Consumer Reports offers a Canadian invoice price service, which is great.

legendboy
08-27-2002, 07:42 PM
average of $775 gross profit on a new crv. Honda makes barley anything, the salesman makes just over $200 usually. if u get $500-600 off ur doing good.

Ferio_vti
08-27-2002, 07:51 PM
If you know someone, you might get lucky. My mom got her Prelude at $31000 even, taxes all included. Saved about $1500. Talk to people, you might be able to get some strings pulled.

Ben
08-27-2002, 08:11 PM
Originally posted by legendboy
average of $775 gross profit on a new crv. Honda makes barley anything, the salesman makes just over $200 usually. if u get $500-600 off ur doing good.

200 bucks is the shaft IMO for the dozens of hours you put into a good sale...

Stratus_Power
08-27-2002, 10:00 PM
agree, not alot of people just go in and buy it, they will probably look at it, then go compare it w/ others, then come back.. test drive it, then about it, then make a decision..

Dr. Evil
08-28-2002, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by hingkit
On a typical car 30k MSRP , lets say Honda CRV, how much is reasonable after "talking price" . . . or haggling . ..
Honda CRVs are $30K????

Please tell me this is a mistake!!!

:confused:

OMOYYC
08-28-2002, 11:46 AM
Why would you think that's a mistake?

hingkit
08-28-2002, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Dr. Evil

Honda CRVs are $30K????

Please tell me this is a mistake!!!

:confused:

CRVs arn't cheap . . . nor is Rav4 . . . but yea they arn't real SUVs which cost well over 30s . . . .i think CRV EX-L is like 35k . . . . I think its okay for a girls car actually . . . . .

dj_honda
08-28-2002, 12:25 PM
which is why u should get an xterra ......i think its a better deal than both the rav4 and the crv

legendboy
08-28-2002, 12:50 PM
Originally posted by legendboy

Thats why I'd never sell *new* Hondas. U can't make any $$ untill u sell 20+ cars/mo, but most of the Honda dealerships use good pay plans with volume bonuses and other stuff that makes up for small grosses. When I was selling Mazda I had $$, there is big markup in most of there product. Its funny that people think that ford engines are made by mazda, its the other way around. But the new Protege and P5 is all japanese Mazda.

But hingkit, if u need a good deal send me a pm and I'll set it up for u.

Rage
08-30-2002, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by Ferio_vti
If you know someone, you might get lucky. My mom got her Prelude at $31000 even, taxes all included. Saved about $1500. Talk to people, you might be able to get some strings pulled.

What version did your mom get?? I got my 2001 lude for $28,300 + GST. Wasn't a bad price.

My mom purchased a 2002 CR-V EX and payed $28,460, pretty much the MSRP price. Saved on frieght and some other costs.

Zephyr
08-30-2002, 12:36 PM
i got my 5 series for $2000 USD off the sticker price and free oil changes for like 2 years..

my bro got his accord for $6000 USD off the sticker price after like haggin till 4 in the morning. he got free car maintance for 2 years.

CR-V here in the states is just $18,800USD MSRP, then again u guys have a different currency..

hingkit
09-01-2002, 10:35 PM
Originally posted by Rage

What version did your mom get?? I got my 2001 lude for $28,300 + GST. Wasn't a bad price.

My mom purchased a 2002 CR-V EX and payed $28,460, pretty much the MSRP price. Saved on frieght and some other costs.

My friend got it for 800 off MSRP. So it was like 33k including everything + options.

Everything went smoothly but she noticed on the next day there was like 4-5 scratches on the side of the roof. I belive they tried to put a roof rack or something up there and scratched up the paint. Any ideas what she can do about it now . . . Tuesday we will bring it into the dealer and bitch. Brand new 2002 with 10km on it.