PDA

View Full Version : What can be done to curb the sudden inrush of 2010 Noobs?

S13_Ryan
01-04-2010, 10:19 PM
I don't know if its just me, but these last couple days every thread i have visited including the threads that i check on a daily basis and contribute in are being Loaded full of garbage posts.

Is there anything that can be done like increasing the length of time before a new user can post? or implement it among the entire forum rather than just the marketplace?

I'm interested in seeing the numbers of how many people have been Banned recently. I'm seeing one in almost every thread lately.:banghead:

Anyone Else have any Suggestions or Input?

dj_rice
01-04-2010, 10:22 PM
You can simply press IGNORE user and all his posts/threads won't show up anymore.

Which reminds me, I have to unignore modded46, I miss his pro-American threads :rofl:

Kavy
01-04-2010, 10:43 PM
I agree, 100 fold.

The influx has been rather large lately and the contribution is shit.
All they contribute is a bandwagon comment or a troll thread.

The marketplace has become a regular shit show lately as well, i saw a douche selling a xbox 360 for more then retail.

The new move is to bump the for sale threads with a second account they own to beat the 7 day bump rule. Asking a question to themselves or posting "pm'ed" to get the freebe bump.

FiveFreshFish
01-04-2010, 11:25 PM
The holidays are over. The rate of new sign-ups should drop off.

max_boost
01-05-2010, 02:22 AM
Before they can register, they have to pass some sort of test, maybe a general knowledge test or a grammar test etc. :rofl:

Gabe182
01-05-2010, 04:54 AM
Originally posted by max_boost
Before they can register, they have to pass some sort of test, maybe a general knowledge test or a grammar test etc. :rofl:

:rofl:

TeamBestBud
01-05-2010, 06:14 AM

Or how about making it like before when you had to have a Shaw email or something like that so you couldn't just sign up with any old hotmail one..

Tik-Tok
01-05-2010, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by TeamBestBud

Or how about making it like before when you had to have a Shaw email or something like that so you couldn't just sign up with any old hotmail one..

I didn't realize they took that restriction off. It totally explains the trolls. I agree it should go back.

Originally posted by dj_rice

Which reminds me, I have to unignore modded46, I miss his pro-American threads :rofl:

He hasn't been around for awhile, at least not as that name.

C_Dave45
01-05-2010, 08:27 AM
Before they can register, they have to pass some sort of test, maybe a general knowledge test or a grammar test etc. :rofl: God that would eliminate 90% of all you beyonders.

Redlyne_mr2
01-05-2010, 09:35 AM
A forum that I'm on requires that you apply and members vote you in. You have to have someone vouch for you and even post a picture of the last girl you were with lol.
http://www.ziptied.com/forums/index.php?board=9.0

Tik-Tok
01-05-2010, 09:42 AM
Originally posted by Redlyne_mr2

A forand even post a picture of the last girl you were with

I think there would be a lot of blank applications for beyond, in fact between that and a grammar test, I think you could kiss 98% of Beyond's traffic goodbye. Not a good business decision.

JRSC00LUDE
01-05-2010, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by C_Dave45
God, that would eliminate 90% of all you Beyonders.

90% plus Dave! Sayonara sir, it was fun! :bigpimp:

Speedy
01-05-2010, 11:27 AM
What no more ban the 09's threads??

scat19
01-05-2010, 12:11 PM
I don't think it's a big problem, it's ONE person.

Evilancer signing up over and over and over and over just to troll.

It's easy to tell. He'll pick on things we all hate in threads.

from headlights to being a "straight G", to no grammar, to spelling, to hating on races.

He's made a million accounts and they all get banned within a day.

snoop101
01-05-2010, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by TeamBestBud

Im all for this. Anyone who is respectable and is a value to beyonds business has email with a IP. Hotmail accounts are for spam/idiots/transients.

C_Dave45
01-05-2010, 02:59 PM
Guess the jokes on you then, JRS....I expected a little more savy from you. Check the website title again. It's spelled with a lowercase "b". Even the logo is lowercase. Seeya!! ;)

Originally posted by JRSC00LUDE

90% plus Dave! Sayonara sir, it was fun! :bigpimp:

beyond_ban
01-05-2010, 03:04 PM
BUT, it is a title of a company. ALL titles start with a capital letter in legal documents.

Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Other Stuff > Suggestion/Comment Box/Forum Related Stuff > What can be done to curb the sudden inrush of 2010 Noobs?

Guess the jokes on you then, JRS....I expected a little more savy from you. Check the website title again. It's spelled with a lowercase "b". Even the logo is lowercase. Seeya!! ;)

JRSC00LUDE
01-05-2010, 03:05 PM

And you still forgot the comma you bastard! haha ;)

bituerbo
01-05-2010, 03:32 PM
Close registration.

"Who wants a beyond invite?"

C_Dave45
01-05-2010, 05:03 PM
Originally posted by beyond_ban
BUT, it is a title of a company. ALL titles start with a capital letter in legal documents.

Beyond.ca - Car Forums > Other Stuff > Suggestion/Comment Box/Forum Related Stuff > What can be done to curb the sudden inrush of 2010 Noobs?

"beyonder" is not a proper word. It is the extension of a company name "beyond", which the proper spelling of, is with a lower case. If I was to use the adverb "beyond" to start a sentence, THEN it would be capitalized, but it was the company name, therefore it is not capitalized. The example you gave is either the default capitalization that vBulletin does, (note how that proper name is always spelled) or the admin simply did it out of habit. (Starting a heading or sentence). But the actual legal spelling of the company or website is lower case. Hence the logo. Just as my legal company name is not grammatically correct, every word is capitalized to highlight each one. In a legal document my company name would actually be spelled incorrectly, as it would be considered a sentence, and not a company name. I purposely used the proper spelling of the company, in this instance, to indicate such.

And you still forgot the comma you bastard! haha ;)

You need to go back to school. First of all, its not a "comma" its an apostrophe, used to indicate possession. The word I used is the "plural" of the singular form "beyonder".

Again..nice try! ;)

Riddle me this, JRS...how would you spell the word in question to indicate both possessiveness and plural? ;)

JRSC00LUDE
01-05-2010, 10:26 PM
I was referring to the comma after the word God........ :)

But, you missed it again!

Oh, and lest I forget.......beyonders'! ;)

C_Dave45
01-05-2010, 10:51 PM
I was referring to the comma after the word God........ :)

But, you missed it again!

Oh, and lest I forget.......beyonders'! ;)

DAMN IT!!! I did miss that!! :banghead:

By the way, you're sentence doesn't need one:
http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Do_you_put_a_comma_after_but

:rofl:

*edit* WOOHOO!! Upon further research my sentence doesn't need one. It would be called a "comma splice". I COULD'VE used a period, but without a comma is correct: (I think)

Do not link two independent clauses with a comma. This error, known as a comma splice, can easily be avoided. Instead of using a comma to connect two independent clauses, either use a period to create two sentences, a conjunction to link the two clauses in one sentence, or (if the independent clauses are closely related) a semicolon to link the two clauses in one sentence.

What IS this thread about again?:nut:

Kloubek
01-05-2010, 11:01 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish
The holidays are over. The rate of new sign-ups should drop off.

Beyond is like a New Year's resolution to work out. Some have the best intentions initially, but once they actually get into it they realize they can't hack it. Only the strong survive.

justincalgary
01-05-2010, 11:02 PM

I don't know either of you, but you both missed "savy". Proper spelling has to v's. I am going to miss both you ;)

rage2
01-05-2010, 11:08 PM
Originally posted by justincalgary
I don't know either of you, but you both missed "savy". Proper spelling has to v's. I am going to miss both you ;)
And two is spelt two. Bye bye! :D

JRSC00LUDE
01-05-2010, 11:14 PM

DAMN IT!!! I did miss that!! :banghead:

By the way, you're sentence doesn't need one:

Whose sentence? :rofl:

Let's face it Dave, we're both fucked! We'll just have to start our own forum for the grammatically occasional......

justincalgary
01-05-2010, 11:16 PM
Originally posted by rage2

Haha, wow. I tried so hard to not make a mistake, that I overlooked the easiest one.

FiveFreshFish
01-05-2010, 11:29 PM

You need to go back to school. First of all, its not a "comma" it's an apostrophe, used to indicate possession.

I'll play. You should have used a contraction of it and is. :D

C_Dave45
01-06-2010, 01:32 AM
Originally posted by rage2

And the word is "spelled" not "spelt". LOL. Thats funny...I didn't know "savy" was "savvy". I had to look that one up! Took it from the verb "savoir". (to know) I guess "je ne sais pas".

*edit* doh! guess I was being an American. Both is correct.

Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

I'll play. You should have used a contraction of it and is. :D

ARRRGH!!! ROFL...holy crap how did I miss THAT one!!! (two actually...in a ROW!!) That's as bad as "there" and "their".

Let's face it Dave, we're both fucked! We'll just have to start our own forum for the grammatically occasional......

*sigh*...back to the drawing board. LOL.
Fuck it....I say lets not bring in grammar as a prerequisite

SpeedIllusion
01-06-2010, 01:56 AM
Lets should be "let's" aka let us...please continue!

rockanrepublic
01-06-2010, 08:25 AM
I have terrible grammer so i'm not about to get involved in that mess.^^

About 4 years ago or so i tried to sign up with my shaw junk mail but it didn't work, so i just lurked beyond instead until hotmail was allowed.

Now correct me if i'm wrong but i would think that beyonds ad revenue would not be effected by going back to the old "requiring ip e-mail" days. It's not like becoming a member hides the ads. Unique page views i'm sure would hardly drop just new threads and new posts would drop.

Just my 2cents.

Sugarphreak
01-06-2010, 09:50 PM

TeamBestBud
01-06-2010, 09:55 PM
Originally posted by rockanrepublic
Now correct me if i'm wrong but i would think that beyonds ad revenue would not be effected by going back to the old "requiring ip e-mail" days. It's not like becoming a member hides the ads. Unique page views i'm sure would hardly drop just new threads and new posts would drop.

Just my 2cents.

+1