PDA

View Full Version : Plumber!!!!

cashflow
01-04-2010, 11:20 PM
Hey guys,
I was wondering if somebody could recommend a good plumber. Our bath tub seems to be leaking and some guy gave a $4000 quote which is ridiculous. If you guys know anybody whoz good and cheap ... please let me know. Thanks guys!!!

swak
01-04-2010, 11:29 PM
Its hard to tell what the problem is from a phone call to give a quote...
For house calls, id recommend Benner.

I had pete the plumber come by to fix my water heater, and this guy was a joke... I used to be an apprentice plumber and this guy did a complete half-ass job.

Theres tons of good places out there.
canyon plumbing is really reputable too.

cancer man
01-05-2010, 12:54 AM
Originally posted by cashflow
Hey guys,
I was wondering if somebody could recommend a good plumber. Our bath tub seems to be leaking and some guy gave a $4000 quote which is ridiculous. If you guys know anybody whoz good and cheap ... please let me know. Thanks guys!!!

I do some plumbing on the side do you have a pic?
Some bathtubs require removal of the sheet rock to get it out and then re-tile etc.Did he quote you for a repair or replacement.
4000.00 is fairly common and is it upstairs or downstairs.

cashflow
01-05-2010, 05:37 AM
Hey guys, Thx a lot for replying.

There is a shower tub in the bathroom upstairs that is causing water leakage in the washroom on the main floor.

**MOD EDIT** Please PM ONLY the name and contact info of the people you recommend.

Thanks guys!!! :thumbsup:

Stunt66
01-06-2010, 11:58 AM
You don't want to be cheaping out on plumbing work. Try to use a guy that either a friend or family member can vouch for, references that the guy gives you don't usually mean shit. Calgary's so full of hacks now its unbelievable.

bmeier
01-06-2010, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by cashflow
Hey guys, Thx a lot for replying.

There is a shower tub in the bathroom upstairs that is causing water leakage in the washroom on the main floor.

**MOD EDIT** Please PM ONLY the name and contact info of the people you recommend.

Thanks guys!!! :thumbsup:

just for interests sake have you tried to figure it out yourself? i had the exact same problem in my bathroom and found the drain seal was the culprit. it was an extremely easy repair and cost under 10 dollars, its also quite common.

Sophal
01-06-2010, 09:03 PM
Originally posted by bmeier

just for interests sake have you tried to figure it out yourself? i had the exact same problem in my bathroom and found the drain seal was the culprit. it was an extremely easy repair and cost under 10 dollars, its also quite common.

I recommend trying that aswell. My washroom was leaking into another room mainly because of that, but in the end there wasn't as much water but still leaking. Turned out to be a broken drain pipe. Not cheap.

FiveFreshFish
01-06-2010, 09:06 PM
Originally posted by swak
I had pete the plumber come by to fix my water heater, and this guy was a joke... I used to be an apprentice plumber and this guy did a complete half-ass job.

Just curious why you didn't DIY.

S13_Ryan
01-06-2010, 10:48 PM
who was the plumber for pete haha, i know quite a few. PM if you'd like it to be private

bmeier
01-07-2010, 01:45 AM
the drain pipe on mine was fine but the seal was bad, i just bought a new seal and put a bead of plumbers putty around the threaded drain and screwed it back in. VOILA no more leak.

Originally posted by Sophal

I recommend trying that aswell. My washroom was leaking into another room mainly because of that, but in the end there wasn't as much water but still leaking. Turned out to be a broken drain pipe. Not cheap.

Trini
01-12-2010, 10:37 AM
I'll post this here as this thread is already somewhat dedicated to plumbing.
Moved into a new place and the hot water isn't hot enough, it's somewhat lukewarm makes taking shower a bit chilly.
I understand that you can adjust the temperature at the hot water tank.
It's a gas water heater.
Any tips or advice from those who have done this as well?
Found a few websites that guide you through the process, such as this one http://www.howtodothings.com/home-garden/how-to-operate-electric-and-gas-water-heater-temperature-controls
Thanks
Trini

C_Dave45
01-12-2010, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Trini
I'll post this here as this thread is already somewhat dedicated to plumbing.
Moved into a new place and the hot water isn't hot enough, it's somewhat lukewarm makes taking shower a bit chilly.
I understand that you can adjust the temperature at the hot water tank.
It's a gas water heater.
Any tips or advice from those who have done this as well?
Found a few websites that guide you through the process, such as this one http://www.howtodothings.com/home-garden/how-to-operate-electric-and-gas-water-heater-temperature-controls
Thanks
Trini

It could also be the "filler pipe". There's is a long pipe that the "inlet" is connected to on the tank. Its so that the incoming cold water goes to the bottom, forcing only the hot water to be forced out the top "outlet" pipe. Those pipes inside can get coroded or split, so that the incoming cold water mixes with the outgoing hot..making a much lower quantity, as well as temp, of hot water. You can buy replacement filler pipes at HD, Rona, even Canadian Tire. They're about 48" or so, only about $15.00, plastic and very easy to replace yourself.

Guess its commonly referred to as the "dip" tube. Here's a good "how to" on it:
http://www.ronhazelton.com/archives/tips/repair_broken_dip_tube.shtm

Trini
01-12-2010, 11:13 AM
^I'll check that as well, as it's an old water heater, thanks

C_Dave45
01-12-2010, 11:24 AM
Whats a "dip" tube:

2tICuAXr9dI

B8YS4SZu6TY

Zhariak
01-12-2010, 12:03 PM
I'd say call Canyon Plumbing...

C_Dave45
01-12-2010, 02:13 PM
Originally posted by Zhariak
I'd say call Canyon Plumbing...

Well, yeah....you could do that. But at $150 just to get to the door, then parts...

I just replaced the dip tube 15 minutes ago. Took about 5 minutes. All you need is a pipe wrench and some teflon tape. Dip tube was $9.99 at HD.

This accounts for 90% of a "short" hot water supply, or low temp hot water tank.

swak
01-13-2010, 07:12 PM
Originally posted by FiveFreshFish

Just curious why you didn't DIY.

What happened is i was having problems with my water heater (pilot light wouldnt stay lit), fixed it, it crapped out again.. Got pissed off called a plumber, he "fixed the problem", then it crapped out once again.

Got pissed and bought and replaced water heater.
And just a quick FYI... Everything is all fine now.

Originally posted by S13_Ryan
who was the plumber for pete haha, i know quite a few. PM if you'd like it to be private

Honestly i dont remember,
The reciept is long gone.

-----
EDIT: Any updates to situation OP?