PDA

View Full Version : Google/HTC Nexus One released tomorrow

CivicDXR
01-05-2010, 12:00 AM
As a little bit of an offshoot from this thread: http://forums.beyond.ca/st/288026/htc-hero/

For anyone thats interested, the Nexus One is being released tomorrow.

Here is a link to Gizmodo liveblog tomorrow:
http://gizmodo.com/5440219/google-nexus-one-liveblog

And a review of the phone:
http://www.engadget.com/2010/01/04/nexus-one-review/

To me personally, doesn't look like anything 'groundbreaking' with the exception of the fast processor. Google has polished the Android OS a bit, but I will probably wait to see the Sony Ericsson Xperia X3 before I make a decision. Hope it can load my online banking site, thats the only reason for me getting rid of my HTC Hero and going back to the iPhone.

shakalaka
01-05-2010, 12:05 AM
Although I didn't think much of it tom, but I think in terms of Android phones, it's probably going to be one of the best out there at the moment. Not a big fan of the shape at all, looks like every other touch screen phone out there. Although probably be expensive to buy straight up. Wonder if bought straight up it'll work with 3G on Fido and stuff.

CivicDXR
01-05-2010, 12:12 AM
^ As of right now, all the test models are working only on T-Mobiles 3G, so from what everyone knows, it won't work on AT&T/Fido/Rogers/Telus/Bell 3G. But there are rumours floating around that they just passed the normal 3G version through the FCC, and could be ready to go tomorrow.

I agree with you though, it'll be the best Android phone of the moment, but that always changes so fast these days.

shakalaka
01-05-2010, 12:23 AM
So just read a couple places and the rumoured price is around $530 without a contract and apparently you'll be able to buy an unlocked one directly through google. As far as 3G is concerned, if they'd be shipping to Canada, I am pretty sure it'll be compatible with the Canadian networks, however if they decide to only ship to US then it could be a little doubtful. I've been wanting to get a new phone for a while and wanted an Android one, but just sure if I am sold on this one at that price.

sneek
01-05-2010, 01:29 AM
Originally posted by shakalaka
So just read a couple places and the rumoured price is around $530 without a contract and apparently you'll be able to buy an unlocked one directly through google. As far as 3G is concerned, if they'd be shipping to Canada, I am pretty sure it'll be compatible with the Canadian networks, however if they decide to only ship to US then it could be a little doubtful. I've been wanting to get a new phone for a while and wanted an Android one, but just sure if I am sold on this one at that price.
If it was to work in TMO it would also work on WIND.

dino_martini
01-05-2010, 01:30 AM

It will run Wind 3g, and Rogers/Fido EDGE.

This phone won't run on the Bell/Telus 3g networks.

Edit - I figure I will throw my actual 2 cents in here about the Nexus One

I like it as a phone, thought I'm not a big Android fan. My problem is that if I were to buy this one and run it on Wind, if I went to a couple of my buddies houses' in SW Calgary I would have no Wind coverage according to the maps. Unfortunately the Wind network is not quite a network yet.

SpeedIllusion
01-05-2010, 01:34 AM
Damn these android phones are sick, now to wait till Wind has decent coverage in the NW section of the city lol

shakalaka
01-05-2010, 04:00 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini

I like it as a phone, thought I'm not a big Android fan. My problem is that if I were to buy this one and run it on Wind, if I went to a couple of my buddies houses' in SW Calgary I would have no Wind coverage according to the maps. Unfortunately the Wind network is not quite a network yet.

Oh that totally kills it for me then. I was considering it a little bit but not if the 3G isn't going to work on Fido.

shakalaka
01-05-2010, 01:41 PM
When you go on the website it just says 'not available in your region'. I am guessing we can't even get it here.

dino_martini
01-05-2010, 01:45 PM
When you go on the website it just says 'not available in your region'. I am guessing we can't even get it here.

Yeah I guess that it won't launch in Canada right away. I'm sure you can pick one up off like eBay or whatever.

Xtrema
01-05-2010, 01:51 PM

Typical.

But other than it's kind of cool, it's as useless to me as an iPhone. So if I want an useless phone, I'll get an Apple.

Suey
01-06-2010, 02:38 AM
Originally posted by dino_martini

WAIT!!!!!!!!!! WHAT?
WIND IS A 2100mhz Freqencie network? So it has european Fequencies?

EDIT: NVM i just found out they're a 1700mhz SIGH

CivicDXR
01-06-2010, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by Xtrema

Typical.

But other than it's kind of cool, it's as useless to me as an iPhone. So if I want an useless phone, I'll get an Apple.

I go though phones quite a bit, but keep going back to an iPhone for various reasons. I'm not trying to start a fight/argument or whatever, but I am fairly interested to hear your thoughts and comments on why you think the iPhone is useless. I am so used to hearing "I hate the iPhone because its an Apple". I would hope that you have something else other than that.

HyperZell
01-06-2010, 11:36 AM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

I go though phones quite a bit, but keep going back to an iPhone for various reasons. I'm not trying to start a fight/argument or whatever, but I am fairly interested to hear your thoughts and comments on why you think the iPhone is useless. I am so used to hearing "I hate the iPhone because its an Apple". I would hope that you have something else other than that.

Probably because it only does a few things, like make calls and keeps track of dates, like any other phone. If only it had something to give it more functionality...

ZEDGE
01-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Originally posted by HyperZell

Probably because it only does a few things, like make calls and keeps track of dates, like any other phone. If only it had something to give it more functionality...

I think you broke my sarcasm meter.. :D

shakalaka
01-06-2010, 12:31 PM
Originally posted by CivicDXR

I can't agree with you more man. I don't even care to count how many phone's I've been through. Everytime I'd sell my old phone and get a new one, ever since I've had the iphone I made the mistake of selling it once and then I bought it again. And after that I've bought other phones but always kept the iphone. Many came and went the iphone stayed and I still don't feel like selling it cause I know if I do I am gonna miss it. I get bored of the shape and using the same thing over and over but it's like I just can't get rid of it lol.

It's like I want a new phone, but I know whatever I get isn't going to be good enough. I've tried so many others in the hopes that they might be. So now the only hope is to wait till Apple brings out the new iphone and hopefully they make it look completely different.

mr2mike
01-06-2010, 04:02 PM
Really, I think Google knows that they need to up their applications for the phone. Once many of the apps are available, I'll probably move over and sell the iphone.

thetransporter
01-08-2010, 04:30 PM
I still like my my Driod better

benyl
01-08-2010, 04:39 PM
Do android phones have Flash? That is the only thing I hate about the iPhone.

I can't even check-in with westjet anymore as their website is flash based for web check-in.

ZEDGE
01-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter
I still like my my Driod better

I would be happy with the Milestone or the Nexus one.. just get one of them to Canada ffs.. :D

thetransporter
01-09-2010, 01:25 PM
Originally posted by ZEDGE

I would be happy with the Milestone or the Nexus one.. just get one of them to Canada ffs.. :D

i would but not sure if they are CDMA/evdo

ZEDGE
01-09-2010, 01:28 PM
Originally posted by thetransporter

i would but not sure if they are CDMA/evdo

The Milestone is the GSM version of the Droid. Rumored to be coming to Telus.

http://www.engadget.com/2009/11/10/motorola-milestone-headed-to-telus-in-early-2010/

Nexus one will work on Wind afaik.

black13
01-09-2010, 02:01 PM
That's a disappointment coming from Google. Looks and performs very generic. As shown in that video on engadget, iphone still beats both droid and nexus in loading the web page.

And iPhone is still the only touch screen that that almost has no lag and is super smooth.

I'm gonna wait out for the next iPhone which is probably going to be a huge upgrade. Appstore just can't be beat.

ZEDGE
01-09-2010, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by black13
That's a disappointment coming from Google. Looks and performs very generic. As shown in that video on engadget, iphone still beats both droid and nexus in loading the web page.

And iPhone is still the only touch screen that that almost has no lag and is super smooth.

I'm gonna wait out for the next iPhone which is probably going to be a huge upgrade. Appstore just can't be beat.

If you search around youtube there are plenty of videos with the Droid beating the iPhone. That video was very suspect. The page was likely cached on the iPhone, not to mention the Android browser actually loads some of the flash content. Android is still somewhat young compared to Iphone OS.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h7L-seNpLEQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kar6Y58aORs

Saying that I am a bit more interested in the Milestone.